• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Its pretty obvious why, they are experienced in AWS and are afraid of being replaced with people that have azure experience.
do we have any reason to believe that they would struggle to switch? and it's not like this is a transition expected to happen overnight, people have time to adapt.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Just like Netflix uses AWS while amazon has their own Amazon Prime Video and nobody is shocked, PlayStation and probably Nintendo will use Azure while Microsoft has their own Xbox business.
Yeah, it's practically nothing. Probably just makes for a good story and that's why we even hear about this. MS gets another customer another tech partner and Sony better conditions for their hosting servers. Absolutely mind blowing.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd imagine the worry would be about switching to a new service provider just before a new gen could set them off track more than possible layoffs or whatever. (I should say we don't know how the Sony x MS partnership will affect PSN btw).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah... people who have experience in aws shouldn't have a huge problem changing the cloud provider.
Yeah, I don't get that, these teams will simply divert thier expertise to become Azure operations, happens in our business, these guys are generalist and will go in the direction the business feels is best, not sure why anyone would feel they're jobs is at risk, especially the domain knowledge of the inner workings of their current system is absolutely fundamental in migrating over to a new platform, and in particular, make improvements to current pain points . They will be needed for maintaining and improving thier new stack thereafter.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
MS gets another customer and Sony better conditions for their hosting servers.
Partner, not just customer.

https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/16/sony-and-microsoft-to-explore-strategic-partnership/

As part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions. By integrating Sony's cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft's Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony's semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft's advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences.

MS needs Sony's tech for their AI solution.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

sure.

Partners... except Sony will use Microsoft's own cloud platform, and not that they'll make a co-owned cloud infrastructure.

So they're partners like Asus is partner of Microsoft in the sense that they preinstall Windows on their PC and Laptops.

Sony's tech is not that big of a deal, Microsoft is already ahead of them, and i mean look at their resources, do you really think they need Sony? this deal is obviously extremely beneficial to Microsoft because Sony will use their data centers as explained in the memorandum of understanding.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think Its pretty obvious why, they are experienced in AWS and are afraid of being replaced with people that have azure experience.

Nah, I think people working in one environment will be perfectly capable of working with another.

I also think there's quite a good chance Sony will be keeping many business support functions on AWS. Of course it's still early days, and things could change as plans become more concrete beyond a memorandum of understanding, but as of right now, they're still hiring for projects around migrations of certain functions to AWS.

By the sounds of it, it was more like people were wondering if this was going to affect next gen console plans. I mean if you heard generalised rumours about a tie-up between your employer and a rival, it doesn't take much for the imagination to start worrying about possible overlaps or redundancies or whatever. It's not hard to imagine the need for management to step in and clarify and relax matters.

Any change in an organisation can be a point of anxiety.

sure.

Partners... except Sony will use Microsoft's own cloud platform, and not that they'll make a co-owned cloud infrastructure.

No, but they may own, co-own, technology IP that comes out of any technical collaboration with MS on other parts of the stack. Sony is highly unlikely to collaborate on a streaming stack with MS without some intellectual property interest in whatever things are developed in joint work between their employees, and I've no doubt MS is interested in licensing patents Sony has already acquired over the last years in streaming. We'll see also about how hardware is going to work within the data centers, if and where custom hardware is required for Sony.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
sure.

So they're partners like Asus is partner of Microsoft in the sense that they preinstall Windows on their PC and Laptops.

Sony's tech is not that big of a deal, Microsoft is already ahead of them, and i mean look at their resources, do you really think they need Sony? this deal is obviously extremely beneficial to Microsoft because Sony will use their data centers as explained in the memorandum of understanding.
Of course but maybe you're not aware that Sony is the world leader in image sensors and this Sony's cutting edge tech will be used

You don't make a statement like they did with both CEO of MS and Sony just to say Sony will be a simple customer, it's a full partnership across different segments including gaming

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Nah, I think people working in one environment will be perfectly capable of working with another.

I also think there's quite a good chance Sony will be keeping many business support functions on AWS. Of course it's still early days, and things could change as plans become more concrete beyond a memorandum of understanding, but as of right now, they're still hiring for projects around migrations of certain functions to AWS.

By the sounds of it, it was more like people were wondering if this was going to affect next gen console plans. I mean if you heard generalised rumours about a tie-up between your employer and a rival, it doesn't take much for the imagination to start worrying about possible overlaps or redundancies or whatever. It's not hard to imagine the need for management to step in and clarify and relax matters.

Any change in an organisation can be a point of anxiety.
That was my point, they are just worried of big changes, but i dont think its related to any fanboy console warriors that some people are trying to push lol.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
sure.

And MS will get supplied presumably with Sony's top of the line image sensors, which they are comfortably the market leader in last I checked (like 40%-50% I think it was). Whereas MS aren't involved with that at all. There's a reason both are talking about a (hopefully) mutually beneficial partnership and not just each supplying the other with what they want.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it doesnt matter which cloud service PS uses, if it's cloud computing from Amazon or Microsoft or their own. At the end it's just a server standing someplace and what's running on it should be beveloped by the company running resources on a server?

If it's more cost efficient to rent MS server capacity then from Amazon or your own - good call I guess.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
How the fuck do you make a decision like this without involving probably one of the biggest stakeholder groups affected? Doesn't sound right or bode well. While I see no technical issues with switching to Azure, I hope this wasn't some meat-headed decision by non-Playstation exec types. If they don't get buy in from the teams most affected it could have pretty adverse effects.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it doesnt matter which cloud service PS uses, if it's cloud computing from Amazon or Microsoft or their own. At the end it's just a server standing someplace and what's running on it should be beveloped by the company running resources on a server?

If it's more cost efficient to rent MS server capacity then from Amazon or your own - good call I guess.
We don't know which components they will use for PSNow - but saying azure means, at least to me, more than just co-location.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I am all for transparency in companies but if you share these negotiations before an official announcement, stuff *will* leak and these companies want to have control around how the public audience will get the message.

Exactly, this is generally how things work most of the times. And people at SIE weren't blindsided, at least not the main people/higher ups.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
They will also become a major customer similar to other MS customers using Azure i.e Exxon Mobil.
"Microsoft is the clear winner that Sony picked their technology even though they are a direct competitor in the gaming space," said DFC's Cole.
Over the long-term, some are warning Sony could be the loser. Currently it charges publishers like Electronic Arts Inc. and Capcom Co. up to 30% of sales made through PlayStation consoles. But if streaming takes off, it will have to compete against Microsoft while paying its rival for cloud access. That could leave Sony struggling to stand out both on technical and pricing terms.
As long as they keep paying MS a fee to use their cloud tech they will remain customers.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Of course but maybe you're not aware that Sony is the world leader in image sensors and this Sony's cutting edge tech will be used

You don't make a statement like they did with both CEO of MS and Sony just to say Sony will be a simple customer, it's a full partnership across different segments including gaming

Oh yes i'm aware, at least for the consumer part, the sensors sold for consumer tech products.

To me that just feels a compromise to make it not sound like Sony is the customer here, because they'd have never accepted it otherwise, but we all know Microsoft is very focused on finding partners for their platforms, Sony will pay and use Microsoft data centers.

Deleted member 49574

Banned
Nov 12, 2018
Norway
The article says it may be a loss for Sony in the long term since they have to pay for Azure access, but isn't it the same for Xbox? I doubt Xbox would be allowed to get the Azure space for free or at a significant discount.

I remember reading somewhere that the xCloud hardware was going to be used for other azure tasks when not in use

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
sure.

This post smell of stealth fanboyish statement. If MS was that ahead to Sony tech why submit a deal with them to reach a common achievement in the AI/cloud front? Come on now.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would MS charge them self to use Azure space lol

Anyways i remember reading somewhere that the xCloud hardware can be used for other azure tasks when not in use

Of course they charge themselves. I mean, it's all still MS internally shifting money but they do have to count the money spent on Azure by Xbox to have the data internally for financial reviews and to have insight.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This post smell of stealth fanboyish statement. If MS was that ahead to Sony tech why submit a deal with them to reach a common purpose in the AI/cloud front? Come on.

Like i said, Sony would have probably never accepted to be just a customer, so this is shaped like a partnership.

Microsoft wants companies to use their platforms, it's really their core business.

This post smell of stealth fanboyish statement. If MS was that ahead to Sony tech why submit a deal with them to reach a common achievement in the AI/cloud front? Come on now.

No it's very much clarifying that if this was a joint venture for a cloud infrastructure, that would be co-owned, instead it is Sony joining Microsoft Azure and in order to do that Microsoft will collaborate with Sony on AI and use their image sensors.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
That deal is not even about game streaming. It's just PR.

One of biggest client for MS is US government.

"integrating Sony's cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft's Azure AI technology"
+
https://www.vox.com/2019/2/22/18236290/microsoft-military-contract-augmented-reality-ar-vr
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2018/10/26/technology-and-the-us-military/
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2018/12/06/facial-recognition-its-time-for-action/

It's pretty simple, really :)

and why it's important
For FY2019, the Department of Defense budget is $686,074,048,000

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yes i'm aware, at least for the consumer part, the sensors sold for consumer tech products.
To me that just feels a compromise to make it not sound like Sony is the customer here, because they'd have never accepted it otherwise, but we all know Microsoft is very focused on finding partners for their platforms, Sony will pay and use Microsoft data centers.
In addition to smartphones business (Apple/Samsung/Huawei, etc...), Sony also provides its image sensors to different segments like security (camera for example) or line production (for QA) for companies or autonomus/intelligent cars and in the near future for robotics if it's not already the case. It's a big segment and will grow a lot in the future, that's why Sony invest more than $5 billions in their Semiconductors segment through 2020

Maybe you're right about "to make it not sound like Sony is the customer" but we don't know

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Like i said, Sony would have probably never accepted to be just a customer, so this is shaped like a partnership.

Microsoft wants companies to use their platforms, it's really their core business.

No it's very much clarifying that if this was a joint venture for a cloud infrastructure, that would be co-owned, instead it is Sony joining Microsoft Azure and in order to do that Microsoft will collaborate with Sony on AI and use their image sensors.
Personal conjectures aren't exactly the most reliable source in such matter especially for spit out hyperbolic statement, with all respect.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If PlayStation management didn't know about this, then it's really bad showing on Sony part
They would have, the guy who runs PSN division and was head of SIE when talks allegedly happened, is on the Sony Senior Management team. No real point in changing the network if the high up people running the network have no knowledge or input on them changing or who they are changing over to. The article doesn't mention anything about who it was that didn't know, pretty unlikely it was the entire SIE organisation though. If's probably something Sony uppermanagement wanted to keep close to their chest too, given they had already went to Amazon and couldn't come to to an agreement according to the article.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
They would have, the guy who runs PSN division and was head of SIE when talks allegedly happened, is on the Sony Senior Management team. No real point in changing the network if the high up people running the network have no knowledge or input on them changing or who they are changing over to. The article doesn't mention anything about who it was that didn't know, pretty unlikely it was the entire SIE organisation though. If's probably something Sony uppermanagement wanted to keep close to their chest too, given they had already went to Amazon and couldn't come to to an agreement according to the article.
Then it is all just normal business, people in the low end are that last to know about this kind of stuff.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
In addition to smartphones business (Apple/Samsung/Huawei, etc...), Sony also provides its image sensors to different segments like security (camera for example) or line production (for QA) for companies or autonomus/intelligent cars and in the near future for robotics if it's not already the case. It's a big segment and will grow a lot in the future, that's why Sony invest more than $5 billions in their Semiconductors segment through 2020

Maybe you're right about "to make it not sound like Sony is the customer" but we don't know

The Nikkei has some additional details in its reporting:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Bu...t-set-rivalry-aside-for-cloud-gaming-alliance

That indeed, Microsoft is interested in purchasing sensors from Sony primarily for self driving cars.

That Sony will look to embed Cortana in speakers, televisions etc.

There'll be joint development of cloud gaming tech, Sony will obviously be an azure customer to scale out its cloud streaming business.

That article also notes that Yoshida signed the deal last week on a trip to the US.

They are both consumers and suppliers to each other, but on the gaming and computer vision fronts there'll also be some joint intellectual property development, so when you combine the scale of these supplier/customer relationships with joint r&d work, I think it's understandable why they would talk in terms of a strategic partnership.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is about infrastructure and it benefits Sony and MS at the same time. For once the industry is actually moving in the right direction. Competition is great and all, but synergy is better.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Bu...t-set-rivalry-aside-for-cloud-gaming-alliance

That indeed, Microsoft is interested in purchasing sensors from Sony primarily for self driving cars.

There'll be joint development of cloud gaming tech, Sony will obviously be an azure customer to scale out its cloud streaming business.

That article also notes that Yoshida signed the deal last week on a trip to the US.

They are both consumers and suppliers to each other, but on the gaming and computer vision fronts there'll also be some joint intellectual property development, so when you combine the scale of these supplier/customer relationships with joint r&d work, I think it's understandable why they would talk in terms of a strategic partnership.
Yeah so like they said in the statement, it's a full partnership. Thanks for the link

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Then it is all just normal business, people in the low end are that last to know about this kind of stuff.
Yeah, most probably the case. Still shitty communication on Sony's side if even just most of the lower-mid network and services people were completely in the dark until after the announcement, but I really doubt it took the SIE management by surprise, as that'd just be stupid on Sony's part, especially so given those teams are probably deep in planning and designing PS5 stuff and I'd assume being in the loop with who is or will be the cloud services provider would be pretty important knowledge and a surprise transfer everything over to Azure command would probably fuck with a lot of the planning.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
btw, tomorrow is Sony IR day – https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/

You will be able to listen audio stream.
Date: May 21, 2019 [Tue] 12:20-17:10 (JST)
Place: Tokyo (Japan)
Program:
  • 12:20 - 12:35
    Opening Remarks
    Senior Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
    Hiroki Totoki
  • 12:40 - 13:20
    Game & Network Services
    Senior Vice President
    President and CEO, Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Jim Ryan
  • 13:40-14:40
    Music
    Executive Vice President
    Officer in charge of Music Business (Global)
    Chief Executive Officer, Sony Music Entertainment
    Rob Stringer Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Sony/ATV Music Publishing
    Jon Platt Executive Vice President
    Officer in charge of Music Business (Japan)
    Chief Executive Officer,
    Representative Director, Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc.
    Michinori MizunoChief Operating Officer,
    Representative Director, Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc.
    Shunsuke Muramatsu
  • 14:50 - 15:30
    Pictures
    Executive Vice President
    Officer in charge of Pictures Business
    Chairman and CEO, Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
    Tony Vinciquerra
  • 15:40 - 16:20
    Electronics Products & Solutions
    Senior Executive Vice President
    Officer in charge of Electronics Products & Solutions Business
    Representative Director and President, Sony Imaging Products & Solutions Inc.
    Shigeki Ishizuka
  • 16:30 - 17:10
    Semiconductors
    Executive Vice President
    Officer in charge of Semiconductor Business
    Representative Director and President, Sony Semiconductor Solutions
    Representative Director and President, Sony Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation
    Terushi Shimizu

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I obviously don't know any better than Sony's management but...I can't help but wonder why they couldn't (1) continue to lease Ms servers but (2) collaborate with Google instead for computer vision.

Cortana is next to worthless and Google has far more interesting applications (consumer-facing too, which suits Sony) for AI-driven imaging tech.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I obviously don't know any better than Sony's management but...I can't help but wonder why they couldn't (1) continue to lease Ms servers but (2) collaborate with Google instead for computer vision.

Cortana is next to worthless and Google has far more interesting applications (consumer-facing too, which suits Sony) for AI-driven imaging tech.

I suppose, barring any exclusivity deals, they could partner with Google (or others) on other semiconductor/AI projects also. They mention in the press release that part of the collab on semiconductors/sensors/ai will be on development of solutions for enterprise customers, and for that MS might be a more attractive partner.

It's possible that in order to grant Sony a collaborative role in cloud gaming tech, Microsoft wanted a collaboration on sensors/ai. It's also possible they were talking with Google around cloud gaming - and like with Amazon they couldn't come to commercial terms.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

makes sense

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
My concern falls as far as Sony switching it's plans and following Microsoft's Xbox ethos which as a fan of narrative titles , anti drm , physical media and digital over streaming I would fall prey to fanboy stipulations and panic

Then I realise it's not going to happen

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Possibly just part of the overall deal they came to? Which is probably really good if Amazon and Sony couldn't come to an agreement. We really don't know enough to know for sure though. Just seems it's a deal both will benefit from.

Oct 25, 2017
But why would you "panic"? If you were the guy who built a specific aws service you will now be the guy who will be responsible to make the move over to Azure. I mean, I do this stuff also at work and yes, migrations from vendor a stack to vendor b stack can often be challenges but engineers are used to these things nowadays.
The main problem is always transparent communication but I don't know a single company that does this right.
In a vacuum with nothing else to worry about, it wouldn't be panic inducing. But there's a next-gen launch coming up and undoubtedly timelines they had set up for implementing x, y and z. Except now they have the additional stress of migrating and re configuring how the stuff they had thought was already done (a - w) works. It'd be additional unexpected amount of work on top of the already existing work you needed to do, that needs to be handled within the same amount of time, and nobody likes that. They may have been barely meeting deadlines as it is.

But anyways, even from the article it seems that they either won't be migrating whatever services those folks are responsible for, before next gen, (or they're bringing on another team to handle the migration) and that is exactly the key point used to calm those employees down it seems.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My concern falls as far as Sony switching it's plans and following Microsoft's Xbox ethos which as a fan of narrative titles , anti drm , physical media and digital over streaming I would fall prey to fanboy stipulations and panic

Then I realise it's not going to happen

Sony, Microsoft and everyone else are just following the market. MS has just bought a load of SP focussed studios. Its not as simple as "doing X or Y". Companies have to follow trends.

To think in 20 years it will make sense for physical disc games and for standard big budget AAAs to be plentiful is naive. Everything is changing and will continue to do so. To pretend otherwise means you will fail.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
One step closer to a one console future?

Lol, who actually wants this or believes it is possible? There will most likely always be competition, and consoles are not exempt. I think Nintendo would be the holdout and require someone aggressively taking over their company. The one-console future actually sounds pretty bleak. At that point, just publish everything on PC. What's the point of dedicated hardware if it's all the same?

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is a sensationalist headline. Most PlayStation employees would not have been in the know, and that's normal for deals like this. There's no way they made a deal on the gaming side without involvement of PlayStation's executive team.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Already exists, announced at the HoloLens 2 event, explicitly hooks up with Azure services including AI. VERY likely to be involved in this deal.

The price would be more worth the 66b, would it not ? Plus the Jap government would step in?
In case you didn't know, some pretty bad/racist connotations with that abbreviation stemming from WW2, at least in the US.
I've always heard such an acquisition attempt would be blocked by the Japanese government if a non-Japanese company tried to buy a company like Sony. Funny enough that exact topic was covered in that silly FoxyGamerUK vid I watched today and they basically said the same thing.
As someone mentioned though, the Japanese government is the biggest obstacle and it's highly doubtful they'd ever approve the transaction of such a treasured company representative of their country's success.
MS shouldn't buy Sony. But, no, the government would not step in. There are few or no legal or regulatory barriers to foreign acquisitions of domestic companies. (Here's a recent thread where I asked exactly this question. I should link it.) The shareholders and Sony's board would most likely have to approve it, so it can't be a hostile takeover, but I doubt MS would try that anyway. If MS and Sony both agreed to an acquisition deal, the government couldn't/wouldn't stop it.

Yea.. this doesn't make sense. As diehard of a MS fanboy as I can be, I can realize that Cortana isn't a business Sony wants to get into. Self-driving isn't a business Microsoft wants to get into, they got rid of their mapping service years ago and haven't even really pursued partnerships with car manufacturers in any capacity in years. This reporting seems odd. The link up with building up AI in computer vision applications makes MUCH more sense in terms of what both companies are investing in broadly at the moment.