Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The new generation doesn't really start until around the 3rd year into it tbh. I feel like it took until 2016 for the PS4 to really take off.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's not gonna help with alleviating the PS5 shortage. A million PS4 isn't exactly a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
Making a smaller / less powerful device is easier and takes less materials, meaning you could probably for example make 4 PS5 Lite's to 1 PS5 chip because the die is smaller. They have to be having issues if they keep making PS4 consoles, it's not about wanting more consoles for those games because they already have 120m PS4 consoles out there so not having enough players isn't really it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say maybe it could be to do with people not able to buy a PS5 so they might look at buying a Xbox instead if it's in stock and they don't want that so they want to put some PS4s up there so people buy that instead.

I don't think it's doom and gloom at all because Sony is fine either way, I do still think making a dual sku is a smart idea and if these shortages aren't fixed soon I wouldn't be shocked if there was a Series S like PS5.
A little too late for that, releasing a PS5-Lite now would be nothing but a mess, because it would mean any PS5 games released so far wouldn't be able to run on it without developer involvement, plus any game in development would all of a sudden have to account for one more console. The time to release such a console passed back when the PS5 launched in 2020.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Making a smaller / less powerful device is easier and takes less materials, meaning you could probably for example make 4 PS5 Lite's to 1 PS5 chip because the die is smaller. They have to be having issues if they keep making PS4 consoles, it's not about wanting more consoles for those games because they already have 120m PS4 consoles out there so not having enough players isn't really it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say maybe it could be to do with people not able to buy a PS5 so they might look at buying a Xbox instead if it's in stock and they don't want that so they want to put some PS4s up there so people buy that instead.

I don't think it's doom and gloom at all because Sony is fine either way, I do still think making a dual sku is a smart idea and if these shortages aren't fixed soon I wouldn't be shocked if there was a Series S like PS5.

But Xbox is making less series X, so either way, people lose out. Would Sony have changed things if they had hindsight? of course, but it takes years to implement changes like that and ultimately PS5 is still outselling the competition. I think the whole situation is so screwed up right now that regardless of the philosophy, companies would be having issues. And IO don't think people picking up an xbox is much of an issue, since they are also having supply chain issues.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will Sony try to compete with the Series S and Gamepass combo with the PS4 and their own combined subscription? It's not a bad idea, actually.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
A little too late for that, releasing a PS5-Lite now would be nothing but a mess, because it would mean any PS5 games released so far wouldn't be able to run on it without developer involvement, plus any game in development would all of a sudden have to account for one more console. The time to release such a console passed back when the PS5 launched in 2020.

Wouldn't it be able to run ports of the Series S? The only real issue would be Sony's own first party and third party exclusives.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Gens are getting longer, with the chip shortages I expect this gen to go on for a long time too. People gonna be hardcore complaining when PS5 gets cross gen games.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I thought Spider-Man 2 would be the first full current gen Sony first party game but idk at this point, I imagine in terms of gameplay and world it'll be pretty similar to 1 and Miles, no reason it can't be on PS4.
I think they confirmed it was next gen only? I seem to remember some statements to that effect.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Glad I got a PS5 but it's unfortunate to know it'll be hamstrung by cross gen development for a bit.

I hope they implement some sort of cloud streaming tactic so that they can go full steam ahead on next gen exclusives that can be streamed to PS5's a-la XCloud.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
The article mentions a million more PS4's? Does that even make a dent or offset anything at all?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
1 million seems kinda low? It's not like you can easily get PS4s even now. Unless they're saying they're making an additional 1 Million on top of whatever PS4 production there is already.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it be able to run ports of the Series S? The only real issue would be Sony's own first party and third party exclusives.
I guess, but that is still going to be more work for developers to implement a year after launch. What if the CPU and GPU are weaker or stronger than the Series S? Either way developers will have to go back to make PS5 games work on said console.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
we are not getting enough PS5's by the time that they are available, it might be close enough that you could wait for the next generation

They are matching the PS4 for sales! People act like they send out 7 Ps5s a week. They just shipped 70k consoles to Japan, a country that people claim they have zero shits for, they are clearly making a lot of them. Its just the demand is so high that they could be making more and they believe they can take advantage of Horizon and God of War hype by making more PS4's. Thats it. It does not ruin this generation, they wil still sell 20 million PS5s in a year etc etc. Massive massive exaggeration on your part.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i know people who just got around to getting a ps4/xbone a year or so ago, and it's not like they were living under a moon rock or something (though they aren't "core gamers" either, obviously)

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
we are not getting enough PS5's by the time that they are available, it might be close enough that you could wait for the next generation

So wait till like 2027, PS6 launches, and you won't be able to grab one within a year or more because companies still won't have decent anti-bot systems in place. To PS7 and beyond?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The only reason Horizon and God of War are cross-gen is because they expected them out by now. Horizon was meant to be in the launch window for instance. Covid has screwed up a lot of plans and delayed a lot of products by a year or more, its just how it is. There is no Universe where Spider-man 2 was meant to be out.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Tons of overreaction. It doesn't sound like they are going to flood the market with ps4. Sounds like filling a gap while trying to remedy ps5 supply constraint.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
It is only a million more PS4s. They probably saw some free capacity in that segment and want to capitalise on it while every gaming hardware is selling instantly. Not every news has to signal the end of the world.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people said the same thing about HFW, GT7, GOW.

You're thinking insomniac went through all that trouble updating the other spider man games with ps5 features and releasing a ps5 only title only to go backwards by sticking with the ps4 for the next 2-3 years? The three devs you named haven't even released a game since the ps5 released.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Makes sense. PS4 has at least two more major exclusives slated to release this year as well as a lot of big third-party games. PS5 will still be the principal platform for Sony, but I think them slightly ramping up PS4 manufacturing is more of them adding a buffer for consumers who still can't get a PS5. This won't really disrupt the PS5 imo.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
A million extra PS4s is such a non story lol

I'm more curious whether they're keeping their 22m PS5 forecast for the next fiscal year
That's where I'm at. Wtf at this reaction? This is not a big deal. There's going to be late gen gamers jumping in still and a million is really not that much in the larger picture.

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here seen a new PS4 (or Xbone) in the last 6 months?

I'm shocked that we haven't seen a(n even) smaller PS4 (Pro) or Xbox One (X) to help bridge the shortage gap, like how the PStwo did with PS3. Then again, maybe those two do not want a repeat of the early PS3 days.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1 million PS4's are not a big deal. For context, all PlayStation consoles are produced long after their successor is released.

PS1: Stopped production in 2006
PS2: Stopped production in 2013
PS3: Stopped production in 2017

Sony is going to be producing PS4 consoles for a few more years at least. That will not affect their current game development plans.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
If the situation with the PS5 supply doesn't improve I could see them extending PS4's lifespan way beyond that of PS2, which was 13 years. And EA would be then happy to publish Fifa [by any other name] in there as they have a bigger incentive to sell it there than they did when publishing FIFA 14: Legacy Edition in PS2.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
I bought one last week to mod it was a nightmare getting a new one for 299, glad it's available now on Sony direct for everyone