• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
It's so crazy I'm inclined not to believe it's true. It's a lot to unpack.

I think more precision questions may be in order - is it 50% of what they expected? 50% of the total wafer sheet? Those may be very different numbers. The reason chips have CU's turned off is to try and increase the yields but honestly that number generally represents the expected loss. So if you have 2 disabled CU's on a, say 38CU (getting you 36 good CU's) - you're expecting 5%-6% failure rates (this is an oversimplification but you get the point). Launch yield issues may represent 10%, maybe 20% on the high end.

At face value what it says is that the yields were 50% at some point and have been gradually improving but are still bad.

For added context, everybody has been saying 7nm is more expensive than older nodes. It's also why all of AMDs 2019 GPUs were so tiny, whereas Nvidia's were so huge for basically the same price on 12nm. While TSMC 7nm has been a leader in yields and performance at that density, it wouldn't be surprising to learn that defects were still notable higher than they were on previous nodes.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Even more then ever I'm Team $599/$499. I really think the DE is the way the can match the Series X for marketing but still sell more disc based PS5s despite for $100 more w/ the drive and plastic cost being a fraction of that.
I would LOVE to know why some people are so adamant the PS5 will be more expensive than the XSX.

Oct 31, 2017
11 million PS5s is still a ridiculous amount of consoles and way more than they shipped with PS4 back in the day. I can't believe they wanted to ship 15 million, that's insane 😳.

Anyway, 11 million PS5s is still higher than the 10 million PS5s from previous reports.The console is still going to be in short supply but I'm hopeful I'll be able to get one this holiday.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
This is marketing/PR you guys realise this yeah?

Sales 101 create scarcity, real or imagined.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Yes, that's what I would speculate as well. I'm just curious what the root cause is (clocks, or RDNA2, or new process, etc...maybe a combination of all three).

MS did reveal that this new process was a LOT more expensive, shouldn't that mostly be down to yields?
No. The wafer will have a fixed price and whether you get 100 or 130 dies you still pay the same. So the lower your yields the more expensive each die is.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Wouldn't it be safe to assume XSX/XSS are on the same node and foundry? If so, would they not also be subject to these issues?
No the chips are different
whoa 449 and 399 is massive, would love those prices! but i dont trust em, lol, not getting my hopes up. we'll see wednesday.

is the shortages because of the way the smart switch stuff is set up?
Most likely due to aggressive cpu clocks. Also those prices were predictions just that is the lowest possible price. But does not equate to meaning those are the prices

Nov 8, 2017
Right. So magically MS just happened to completely avoid this issue and everything is hunkydory? Come on man.

XSX is clocked at 1.82 GHz, while PS5 is clocked at 2.23 GHz. Every CPU and GPU has a clock speed vs voltage curve, where there is an optimal point after which you start dramatically increasing necessary voltage for smaller increases in clock speed.

The exact curve varies not just model to model but individual gpu to individual gpu. If you've never tried overclocking on PC, you may never have encountered this, but some people get golden samples that can overclock like a demon and others get lemons that can only just meet the spec.

From a manufacturing perspective, the choice of where to set the spec is based on the percentage of their product which can meet said spec. For a console, these specs are usually conservative to maximise manufacturing yield - the fact that PS5 has a clock speed 20% higher implies that it is a much less conservative spec than XSX's GPU, and dramatically less conservative than XSS (1.56 GHz). This will increase the number of units produced that won't meet the spec.

Conversely, the XSX GPU is physically larger, and will therefore have a higher probability of defective CUs on the chip. While both PS5 and XSX have reundant CUs, this will still be a bigger issue for Xbox. This is compounded with the fact that each wafer is the same size, so you'll get fewer XSX SoCs per wafer intrinsically.

The exact cost of each strategy is unknown. But it's certainly not impossible that XSX could be yielding higher - it would imply that leakage on the chips is a more serious issue than defective CUs are.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Lots and doom and gloom as expected, but it's worth keeping history in mind here. The PS2 had absolutely atrocious yields on the GPU and had to cut launch shipments for North American by half, from 1 million to 500,000. It still sold at $299 and went on to be the highest selling console of all time.

The PS3 likely had terrible yields for Cell as well. IBM once said that yields of 10-20% were considered good for a chip like Cell. But since 1 SPE was disabled to improve yields, the number for PS3 is probably something like 20-40%.

I've also read that the 360 had yields of only around 50% for the GPU.

The PS4 has very high yields, but that's not surprising given the conservative nature of the hardware.

PS5 yields being at around 50% but only dropping shipments from ~15 million to 11 million units (which is still an insane number for a launch window) don't represent a dire situation.

In other words, calm down.

Jayhawk86

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
It's so crazy I'm inclined not to believe it's true. It's a lot to unpack.

I think more precision questions may be in order - is it 50% of what they expected? 50% of the total wafer sheet? Those may be very different numbers. The reason chips have CU's turned off is to try and increase the yields but honestly that number generally represents the expected loss. So if you have 2 disabled CU's on a, say 38CU (getting you 36 good CU's) - you're expecting 5%-6% failure rates (this is an oversimplification but you get the point). Launch yield issues may represent 10%, maybe 20% on the high end.

50% failures basically doubles the cost of the chip per box - which is the single most expensive part of the BOM.

My tendency when I hear a number like this is to not believe it. However, they are clocking that CU pretty high and depending on what you believe about how/when in the process that may have happened, it could have proven to be a problem in manufacturing.

I guess we'll find out more tomorrow!

Are you thinking that they originally planned to clock the GPU slower, and then increased the speeds in response to the Xbox Series X specs?

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots and doom and gloom as expected, but it's worth keeping history in mind here. The PS2 had absolutely atrocious yields on the GPU and had to cut launch shipments for North American by half, from 1 million to 500,000. It still sold at $299 and went on to be the highest selling console of all time.

The PS3 likely had terrible yields for Cell as well. IBM once said that yields of 10-20% were considered good for a chip like Cell. But since 1 SPE was disabled to improve yields, the number for PS3 is probably something like 20-40%.

I've also read that the 360 had yields of only around 50% for the GPU.

The PS4 has very high yields, but that's not surprising given the conservative nature of the hardware.

PS5 yields being at around 50% but only dropping shipments from ~15 million to 11 million units (which is still an insane number for a launch window) don't represent a dire situation.

In other words, calm down.
the ps2 was also a dirt cheap dvd player though. about half of ps2s sold for that reason.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Kind of funny. Weren't there rumors about yield issues for the Xbone whereas Jack Tretton came out before ps4 launch and said the yields were incredible. haha

Jayhawk86

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Yeah, if clocks are to blame for 50% yields....why wouldn't Sony just lower the clocks and bring them down into the realm of sanity?

That's why it's not really believable to me, unless these are somehow short term issues that should be resolved with time.

It's terribly cost inefficient and goes completely against Sony's hardware ethos. They've already lost the "Compute" power war, so getting down to 9TF isn't the end of the world in all honesty.

Is there something happening tomorrow that sheds more light on this?
I wouldn't think reducing the GPU clocks would be an option at this point. What would that do to all the games that are being developed around the 2.23GHz spec?

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Something doesn't add up. Yields would have been known in June or July. You don't get surprised by yields in September before a November launch, after doubling the production orders.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me it doesn't give credance because again, sarcrificing a huge amount of wasted cost just to increase from 9TF to 10.28TF is unimaginably stupid.
pretty much all the FUD we heard about the ps5 has come to be true. i remember hearing about hot ps5 earlier this year as well. i have stayed strong and dismissed everything as fud but the hits keep on coming.

at this point, im inclined to believe everything. lets not forget that this was sony's turn to mess things up after a successful gen. it happens to everyone. they were aiming for a $399 box, went for a cheaper and smaller SOC, had to call an audible and that increase in clocks ended up coming back to haunt them. i seriously cannot even fathom a 50% failure rate. this is going to be passed on to the consumers because there is no way sony is taking an extra $100 loss on top of the $100 loss they are most likely going to be taking.

this bizarre focus on ssd over tflops never sit right with me either. seriously, who is gonna use that ssd except for first party devs? was that really worth all this?

i guess we will find out tomorrow if the cost is too high, but now im in the $499-599 camp. best case scenario, we get sub $500 consoles but you cant just hide the losses from a 50% yield rate. that basically means their cheaper $100 chip is actually $200. effectively increasing the BOM by a $100. if sony eats that today, expect higher prices on first party games, and a higher ps+ sub.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Assuming an ASP of $449 (which splits the difference between all the pricing rumors) that's $1.8B in revenue just on console HW, and another $600M in games/accessories (assuming $150/per console). So it's not chump change, either.

I'm not sure what this has to do with my comment that being able to produce 11m units is 'struggling', but I agree with your post.

I dunno - when you see the word 'struggling', what images does it bring to mind?

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure what this has to do with my comment that being able to produce 11m units is 'struggling', but I agree with your post.

I dunno - when you see the word 'struggling', what images does it bring to mind?

Yeah apologies if it came across bad - I wasn't trying to take a swing at you. To me, struggling says "working hard but not succeeding" and if you thought there was $2B in revenue on the line, you'd be working pretty hard.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
pretty much all the FUD we heard about the ps5 has come to be true. i remember hearing about hot ps5 earlier this year as well. i have stayed strong and dismissed everything as fud but the hits keep on coming.

at this point, im inclined to believe everything. lets not forget that this was sony's turn to mess things up after a successful gen. it happens to everyone. they were aiming for a $399 box, went for a cheaper and smaller SOC, had to call an audible and that increase in clocks ended up coming back to haunt them. i seriously cannot even fathom a 50% failure rate. this is going to be passed on to the consumers because there is no way sony is taking an extra $100 loss on top of the $100 loss they are most likely going to be taking.

this bizarre focus on ssd over tflops never sit right with me either. seriously, who is gonna use that ssd except for first party devs? was that really worth all this?

i guess we will find out tomorrow if the cost is too high, but now im in the $499-599 camp. best case scenario, we get sub $500 consoles but you cant just hide the losses from a 50% yield rate. that basically means their cheaper $100 chip is actually $200. effectively increasing the BOM by a $100. if sony eats that today, expect higher prices on first party games, and a higher ps+ sub.
Why am I not surprised you're agreeing with the most negative takes yet again.

Even if Sony does have to reduce their capacity to only(lol) 11m through March , that's still higher than most other console launches and hardly something to be concerned about at this point.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

Nothing Sony has done regarding the PS5 indicates that they're "messing things up." They're in a very strong position with considerable hype going into the launch.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Sony has also been designing their entire architecture, power delivery, and cooling for well over a year for high clock rates. That does not seem like a last minute type thing to me just a design choice with the added risk of lower yields which they knew and accepted.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

Buy an Xbox.

You'll be happier with all the POWAH, and we'll all be happier without your scorching takes.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
This just reaffirms my prediction that all consoles Xbox, PlayStation, Switch will be sold out this holiday.

All that discussion about one console needing an exclusive or something will be completely unfounded.