Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Also in this article: Price prediction from Bloomberg is 449 and 399

If true, zero reason to buy the digital version. The strategy to release two pretty much identical consoles, only one without a disk drive to maximize digital profits didn't really make sense if priced so close together. They will just lose even more money trying so hard to undercut.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
11m but the end of the fiscal. How many ps4s did they sell from November to March when it releases?

I don't think there are exact sales from November to March, but on the 2 first months in 2013, PS4 sold 4.2 million units.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be safe to assume XSX/XSS are on the same node and foundry? If so, would they not also be subject to these issues?
you would assume they are having more problems as they are using more powerful hardware which would likely get less yields but who knows maybe sony's design is different enough that its custom parts are causing problems.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I remember people saying that the liquid metal cooling solution that Sony chose might prove to be a problem. Is it possible that it's already showing it's face?

No, this is about chip manufacturing yields. We have no idea what they are doing for cooling, that liquid metal patent doesn't confirm anything.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
"Also in this article: Price prediction from Bloomberg is 449 and 399"

For what it's worth, this has been my bet since Microsoft released it's price.

Sony will not afford to have it's DE be anything more than $100 more than the Series S, and going $459 with the "normal" edition garantees that they have at least some price advantage.

Sony will, of course, take a big loss on every console sold, but with the huge market mindshare that it has, and very strong first party line up, it'll probably recoup those most of those loses.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
whoa 449 and 399 is massive, would love those prices! but i dont trust em, lol, not getting my hopes up. we'll see wednesday.

is the shortages because of the way the smart switch stuff is set up?

Oct 25, 2017
Man it's gonna be a bloodbath to get one at launch
200.gif

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I fully expect the launch to be either super limited or delayed in Japan now to prioritize other markets which means I guess I'm not getting a PS5 til next year 😩

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah 15m was an absurd number to reach. 11m is still very high for end of March. The 50% binning number is pretty surprising. This might be part of the reason the S exists for MS because they can take binned X chips and just put em in an S can't they?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the original plan was 10 million by March 31? 11 million still sounds like a crazy amount.

10 million produced by December. The March date came from the fact that it takes time to ship these units around the world for retail. So those 10 million by December were to cover till March 2021. Consoles produced Jan-March would presumably by to cover later that Spring/early Summer. They take a few months to freight around the world from the factory.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor from the Chinese chip fab boards that the PS5 was having yield issues due to having to be able to get to the peak clocks for the smart shift stuff?

Yeah 15m was an absurd number to reach. 11m is still very high for end of March. The 50% binning number is pretty surprising. This might be part of the reason the S exists for MS because they can take binned X chips and just put em in an S can't they?

Nope, completely different SoC.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
you would assume they are having more problems as they are using more powerful hardware which would likely get less yields but who knows maybe sony's design is different enough that its custom parts are causing problems.

Do we know how big Sony's SoC is? More to it than just CU's.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If the disc version is 450, I'll fucking get a PlayStation system at launch for the first time ever.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So if its $449, Sony willing to take a bigger loss than MS,right? Don't know if taking a bigger loss against the MS warchest is a smart move, time will tell.

Aug 15, 2020
Bloomberg previously reported in July that they were bumping initial shipments from 5/6 million to 10 million by the end of the year; where is this 15 million number coming from? If they're saying they're going to have 11 million, it would seem they would actually be exceeding original expectations.

Are they trying to make it seem like there will be a shortage despite exceeding original shipment expectations?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm.... if these are really $399/$449.... make sure your wallets at ready & prepare to take an L just in case.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
15 Million aim for March is insane.

11 Million for March is insane.

$399/$449 is just unrealistic.

Sony is operating on some next level confidence 👀

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
If those prices are accurate that would be insane. Going to be hard to find one depending on where you live.
As for the yields, I kinda figured that it would land in that range anyway. Just makes the thing a bit more difficult to get.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well fuck, if $449 is true coupled with stock issues, getting this bad boy at launch is going to be a fucking battlefield.

Fight me, Era!