• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Those cars don't drive themselves...

Neither do Teslas. Autopilot is an advanced cruise control with lane keeping features, not an autonomous driving system. It requires that the driver pay attention, and if it detects hands off the steering wheel for too long it will provide visual and audible alerts.

Full self-driving capabilities are in the future, for Tesla as well as other manufacturers.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Key thing here is that Tesla will have a much harder time floating convertible bonds.
Up until now, they could sell that like candy because investors were looking at potentially enormous gains due to stock share upside.
Right now, that's looking much, much less possible.

I agree. People focusing on the day to day swings don't focus on the actuality of financing the business. You don't just raise cheap money in the face of downgrades and negative cash flow.

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I hope all our bigshot corporate financiers of ERA and other genius investors who are short TSLA plan to stay in short through the rest of 2018. The bankruptcy of Tesla is imminent! It's going to happen any day now!

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never get the cheerleader squad for a billionaire who's most successful and functional product is... paypal. Dude can't make enough cars or get his rockets to stop blowing up, but Musk has a hell of a knack for convincing people he's a messiah instead of a huckster

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never get the cheerleader squad for a billionaire who's most successful and functional product is... paypal. Dude can't make enough cars or get his rockets to stop blowing up, but Musk has a hell of a knack for convincing people he's a messiah instead of a huckster

You don't know anything, do you? I have homework for you: find how many successful launches SpaceX has had. That's not to mention that the Model 3 seems to be a success in pretty much every way, except quick manufacturing which should be addressed at some point.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: trolling, insults, inflammatory/strawman argumentation.
You don't know anything, do you? I have homework for you: find how many successful launches SpaceX has had. That's not to mention that the Model 3 seems to be a success in pretty much every way, except quick manufacturing which should be addressed at some point.
see? they just come out of the woodwork to mindlessly condescend and defend their Benevolent Billionaire God King. "His flagship product looks pretty good, except he can't actually make any."

Oct 29, 2017
Dude can't make enough cars or get his rockets to stop blowing up

giphy.gif

what a fraud tho m i rite

OP
OP
Velasco

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ventilation Stick

Alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
The biggest thing I'm surprised by is that the bigger companies haven't buried Tesla yet. They should be able to offer comparable tech, style and software but with real manufacturing prowess given all the money they have. I know the Leaf does well, I see a decent number of i3 models on the road but I'm surprised it's this slow going

TeslaTesla no profit and is burning through money and you want companies to compete with THAT????

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Vaguely? It is to a T. And the market reacted postively to it. Whew, who needs to meet production quotas when your some of your investors are idiots.

Hassel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vaguely? It is to a T. And the market reacted postively to it. Whew, who needs to meet production quotas when your some of your investors are idiots.

Na,

He puts a specific timeline on when his projection will be meet. Trump just shoots out vague shit like "soon" and "huge"
Come Q1 2019 we will know if he is full of shit or not and will be able to call him out on it or pat him on the back.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Uh...why shouldn't a profitable q3 and q4 cause the price to rise?

It's the likely overt lying/overexpectations coupled with bluster. Given past projections, he's got like 95% odds of being full of it. If he was really that confident about this stuff, he would be giving the news at a shareholder's meeting instead of on Twitter. But I guess that's one way to try to avoid getting sued by investors down the road because the SEC sure doesn't seem to give a crap about pumping your stock up over Twitter.

OP
OP
Velasco

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tesla Doesn't Burn Fuel, It Burns Cash

The company that Elon Musk built to usher in the electric-car future might not have enough cash to make it through the calendar year.

The anxieties that lurk beneath the tremendous ambition of Tesla Inc. moved into the forefront in recent weeks. The company again fell far short of its own production targets for the mass-market Model 3 sedan, another person died in a crashinvolving its assisted-driving feature and Musk entered into a public dispute with federal safety regulators. Tesla's once high-flying stock, buffeted by a downgrade from credit analysts, has dropped 24 percent from its peak in September.

There's a good reason to worry: No one has raised or spent money the way Elon Musk has. Nor has any other chief executive officer of a public company made a bankruptcy joke on Twitter at a time when so much seemed to be unraveling.

Tesla is going through money so fast that, without additional financing, there is now a genuine risk that the 15-year-old company could run out of cash in 2018. The company burns through more than $6,500 every minute, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Free cash flow—the amount of cash a company generates after accounting for capital expenditures—has been negative for five consecutive quarters. That will be a key figure to watch when Tesla reports earnings May 2.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
"Elon Musk is one of our planet's great hopes. I would offer a kidney to him if he needed it."

I really enjoy that his automation fetish really backfired. The success of the legendary Toyota Way is that every single employee in the plants secures quality and provides necessary creativity and autonomy to gurantee a flawless production process. Workers aren't a cost factor but a production factor.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taking a free shot at a dumb tweet from the Economist is now "pumping up your own stock". Ok

It is the exact definition of pumping your own stock. When the CEO of a company is giving guidance in public that his company will be profitable (which no one thinks it will) any investor would buy the stock.

Well hopefully when it is not profitable he get sued. I'm sure there should be laws around this.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the earnings call is not going so well, as Elon is getting flippant with analysts and their questions.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I mean their real cash burn is double what it was last year for the quarter without meeting production goals. Good luck smoothing that over when you declared you'd be profitable Q3 and Q4.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I mean their real cash burn is double what it was last year for the quarter without meeting production goals. Good luck smoothing that over when you declared you'd be profitable Q3 and Q4.

TSLA is basically a gamble right now. If they don't hit profitability in Q3, they'll most likely be bankrupt by the end of the year (as well as their stock decaying massively). If they do hit profitability in Q3, how long will they survive past that given market pressures and variability?

edit: Holy shit, look at the AH price right now.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Tangentially related, not sure how this got missed in today's news cycle, but Tesla is being sued by Nikola Motors for their electric semi designs. I'd normally be skeptical... but take a look at the image of the semi in some of Tesla's own promotional images:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/02/nikola-motors-suing-tesla-2-billion-patent/

The front ends on the trucks are completely different and that is not Tesla's image (read the article you linked again), it is from an "online publication." If anything led to confusion for the "online publication" it is Nikola motors name being a play on Tesla's name more than the similarity of the trucks.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The front ends on the trucks are completely different and that is not Tesla's image (read the article you linked again), it is from an "online publication." If anything led to confusion for the "online publication" it is Nikola motors name being a play on Tesla's name more than the similarity of the trucks.

Hmm I stand corrected then.

It's still funny how even Google images things it's the Tesla semi though, haha

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Elon is so incredibly unprofessional when it comes to Tesla. It really irks me. Such a gulf between what's going on at SpaceX and Tesla right now.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I listened to the earnings call and it was weird as fuck, totally unprofessional, and kind of insane on multiple levels. And if you put all that aside, some of his answers were shocking. Well not shocking if you know how terribly run the company is, but shocking if you don't.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I stand by my previous comment. Who wants to bet against the guy landing rockets on moving objects?

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone listen to the earnings call? It was fucking bizzare. He dodged all the hard questions by calling it boring and dry.

This guy was unhinged

HyperionX

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone listen to the earnings call? It was fucking bizzare. He dodged all the hard questions by calling it boring and dry.

This guy was unhinged

Tesla is on the verge of bankruptcy, and there are many skeletons in the closet that haven't come out yet. It's pretty obvious that it's starting to get to him.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Very sincere and extremely important questions asked and this deranged lunatic goes like:

rSRd89K.jpg

Feel bad for anyone trusting him with their money.

I also loved how he downplayed the truck and said they aren't even thinking about it....yet you've started taking money?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Very sincere and extremely important questions asked and this deranged lunatic goes like:

rSRd89K.jpg

I also loved how he downplayed the truck and said they aren't even thinking about it....yet you've started taking money?

I wonder how his supporters will spin this? That thr big car companies sent undercover analysts to ask pointed gotcha questions like 'do you have the capital necessary for this project?'?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

rSRd89K.jpg

Dude sounds like my 8 year nephew when he has to do homework

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, Tesla needs another public facing figure to counter Musk's arrogance