Hanzo

Banned
Dec 10, 2023
Your 400 500 dollar box isn't the equivalent of 500 dollars in many parts of the world. And PC parts in china and other developing countries are cheaper than in the west.

or do you think the massive PC player base in those countries are buying PC's which cost half a year of their salaries if they would be priced the same as in the west?
I understood you the other way around. But even if PC parts are still cheaper, and consoles more expensive, the gap is still there. Sure PC can do more things and that is also an incentive to invest there. It would be interesting to compare the real cost of an equivalent performing PC vs console in different markets

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
"PC is far more expensive" - yes that's why consoles have remained stagnant for a quarter of a century and play no role in the developing world compared to PC.
PS5 like hardware in Germany will cost you about a 100€ more than the PS5 if you go with really cheap components - 100€ is a none price to pay compared to a standard pay2play 70€ fee and higher game prices.
And no one needs PS5 like hardware to play PS5 games, the minimum gpu for Wukong did cost <200€ 6(!) years ago the cpu <100€ 5 years ago.
And then you have a huge used market that throws old stuff at you.
The minimum amount of money you need to have for a used PC that at least plays some new stuff can't be reached by any console, not even close.

behOemoth

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you notice (and that applies to almost every quote reply I got in this thread) I never say "this is cheaper than a PS5", rather I say what I think is "a cheap PC".
you started the comparison with the PS5 and then single it out for PCs only. I hope you notice why so many quoted your satement.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Every thread about this game is an absolute shit show. Let people buy ps5s if they want jfc, not everyone wants to build a pc.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Antagonizing metacommentary
Reading comprehension is at an all-time low in this thread.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It makes total sense to easily pay +50% more for a "cheap" PC to get PS5-like performance instead of just, you know, getting a PS5. Uhum.
On average cheaper games due to more sales/coupons bundles, mod support, flexibility to use whatever peripherals you want, being able to use all that computing power to something other than gaming. There's plenty of reasons.

I swear some folks have a borderline platform warring attitude when looking at PCs.

Reading comprehension is at an all-time low in this thread.
+1

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Your 400 500 dollar box isn't the equivalent of 500 dollars in many parts of the world. And PC parts in china and other developing countries are cheaper than in the west.
This is actually not really true. For China, you can get some cheaper indigenous parts, but the most expensive parts (the CPU and GPU) are actually more expensive than in the US. For example, a 4060ti 16 GB on Newegg.com costs US$400 - 500. On jd.com, the same part generally costs CNY 3500 - 4500, which translates to around USD 500 - 650. The Chinese price includes a 13% VAT, while the US price does not include the 5 - 10% sales tax that will be added eventually, but the Chinese price is still a bit more expensive after you remove the VAT.

CPU and RAM: same relative pricing comparison. You can maybe shave off a few USD by getting a YTMC SSD instead of a Samsung one, but you can get SSD in that price range in the US as well by giving up some performance. You can get cheap cases, monitor, and peripherals here; but in the US you can get really cheap parts for those as well. In the end, the total cost of a gaming PC--if you build it--is going to be similar after currency conversion.

If you want to get a laptop? You can get a 15.6" laptop with a 4060, 16 GB RAM, and 1 TB storage for around USD 1,000 from Bestbuy, and they are often for sale for USD 900. That translates to CNY 7,000 (CNY 6,300 on sale). If you go for a minor domestic brand, you can get similar specs for CNY 6,000 (around USD 900). If you want the same brands as in the US (Lenovo, Asus, Dell, etc), you are looking at prices above CNY 7,000. Adjusted for VAT, the laptops in China are cheaper, but not by that much.

I believe China is rather lucky in the regard: In a lot of places around the world, the parts are substantially more expensive than in the US because of logistics, more middlemen, tariffs, etc. These products do not really have much variation in them, because the most expensive components are all coming from Intel (US), AMD (US), Samsung (SK), nVidia (US), with foundries making them in the US, SK, and TW.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
Every thread about this game is an absolute shit show. Let people buy ps5s if they want jfc, not everyone wants to build a pc.
Did we read the same thread? lol It's the other way around, someone getting quoted to death because he dared to say building a PC is not expensive.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
They never said that though. What's with these responses?
The "what do you consider cheap" is in response to this.
Not really... If you play the game maxed...sure. But getting PS5 like performance is easy and cheap on PC.
If you notice (and that applies to almost every quote reply I got in this thread) I never say "this is cheaper than a PS5", rather I say what I think is "a cheap PC".
Which you compared directly with PS5.
Why bring it up at all then?

teed

Aug 25, 2023
Yeah. Saying you can get an equivalent for cheap in one comment and then giving an example that is 1.5 - 2x as expensive in the next is just pointless.

Edit: Sorry, I was being an asshole.

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Which you compared directly with PS5.
Why bring it up at all then?

Why are you ignoring the context?

makes sense since your PC specs have to be real good

Not really... If you play the game maxed...sure. But getting PS5 like performance is easy and cheap on PC.

This is about a high end pc vs a cheap pc, saying that you do not need a high end pc, you can match ps5 performance with a cheap pc.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This is about a high end pc vs a cheap pc, saying that you do not need a high end pc, you can match ps5 performance with a cheap pc.
Right, but then that "cheap" PC, that is comparable to a PS5, with parts listed would end up being significantly more expensive than a PS5, hence the statement "that's not cheap compared to a PS5".

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you ignoring the context?

Hell, it's not even about going out and buying a PC. He's basically just said that if you have a lower end PC already, you can still enjoy the game because it's fairly easy to run the game at the console spec.

Right, but then that "cheap" PC, that is comparable to a PS5, with parts listed would end up being significantly more expensive than a PS5, hence the statement "that's not cheap compared to a PS5".
🤦🏿‍♂️

Wing84

Banned
Nov 21, 2022
Pretty cool seeing this game do really well on each platform, especially since it's not a always online looter shooter service game.

I'm not into boss rush games, so I hope it there is a sequel and they implement a Elden Ring-like world alongside releasing on all capable consoles the same day.

Baoben

Oct 10, 2021
But in this day and age who has a low end pc lying around the house?? Either you have a pc that is or was (at point of purchase) competent at playing games. Or you don't. And if you do or did, I doubt you'd be interested in a PS5 anyway.

Zagar

Nov 24, 2023
Do people seriously think the PC Alex talked about isn't cheap? You can build a 12400k + 3060/4060 PC for around $680 in the US. Is it more expensive then a PS5 straight up? Sure. Is the price difference that significant? Not really. The price gap shrinks even further when you consider the lack of paid online and the cheaper game prices on PC as well.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
and for comparison, how much is the ps5 in china, a market historically closed off to consoles?
pc is the "default" there, no?
The domestic version of the digital PS5 slim is about CNY 2,800, which is around USD 400. That is VAT inclusive, so it is cheaper than in the US. The disk version of the PS5 slim is about CNY 3,500, or around USD 500, again cheaper. These are limited to the Chinese PSN store, which is... not very good if you want to access a wide variety of games. I am not sure about the price of the import versions.

PC is the default here for reasons other than the relative price of the hardware.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

or do you think the massive PC player base in those countries are buying PC's which cost half a year of their salaries if they would be priced the same as in the west?
PC parts and consoles in China are not cheaper, at least not in any drastic way. Comparable pricing on pretty much everything vs the US with lower average and median income. Although in general, higher end PCs and consoles are very affordable to a working family in China.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
In May 2024 the US government continued Trump tariffs. These tariffs add a 25% duty on graphics cards, mother boards and desktop cases. Even if the components are assembled in China.

So, what we think is cheap in the West is not cheap in China.

On the other hand, consoles have no tariffs.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
My reading comprehension must be low because I could swear the person he's responding to originally was comparing buying a pc vs buying a ps5 (the premise of the thread) to play wukong

I was just about to say the same.🤣

Regardless, the entry price to a "cheap" PC isn't very cheap at all.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'd heard of this game before yesterday and suddenly it's all over the place. What's been the big draw? I know nothing about it.

Feb 16, 2022
I don't think I'd heard of this game before yesterday and suddenly it's all over the place. What's been the big draw? I know nothing about it.
When it was first revealed a few years back, it looked graphically next gen in ways other games weren't really looking for PS5/XSX, so it was really hyped by graphics-minded folks--the somewhat familiar Journey to the West inspiration was also a draw for some. Years later and it's releasing with pretty much the graphics intact, seemingly with a solid enough action gameplay.

There's also the fact that the developer, and more specifically the owner of the game studio, is a massively sexist piece of shit, so that's a big draw for the chud crowd just like Stellar Blade before this.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
It seems it is probably going to be a pretty big seller on playstation as well. Hopefully it comes out on xbox sooner rather than later!
I dont know Playstation is just lucky or Xbox is incompetent. Like how can they allow two back to back biggest games of the years Baldur's gate 3 and Black myth wukong to be exclusive on PS5. They basically won without even trying.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game really nice graphics, and is one of the first true major AAA Chinese made games. As such, a lot of folks who would never play games are picking it up. The steam numbers don't surprise me at all and I expect the ps5 version to do insane numbers

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Do games have to be approved to sell on Chinese PSN? I wonder what the library is looking like