• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Kickstarter e-mail also had this slip lol, I bolded for emphasis

"This time we were able to show the 3D stage map that goes through the outer wall of the tower. This is a boss that Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon was based on and a new boss for this game. There was also a sneak peek of the character customization system."

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch now but has there been an update since that Direct a few weeks ago? It looked incredibly sterile.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game is really coming together. This game looks like it will really surprise people.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lookin' good. Wayforward seems to be helping a lot with helping the game pop visually.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really pleased with how this game has been turning out. I can't wait to play it. Hopefully it's a success and they're able to reuse the engine, making gradual visual improvements each time.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that looks A LOT better. I've had my doubt about this game, fearing another MN9, but this seems to be coming together quite nicely based on the latest footage we've gotten.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Played around with the brightness and contrast a bit, the game would definitely look better and more atmospheric with darker lighting and stronger contrast.
(also slightly less saturation)

Normal:
Yejldtw.jpg

Dark:
x92u4EP.jpg

I get this is just a cutscene but I always feel like the rooms in Bloodstained are too bright, and it's not something that can be resolved by just adjusting the gamma.

Last edited:

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely an improvement, although I don't think the character designs can really be salvaged.

Hopefully it plays well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played around with the brightness and contrast a bit, the game would definitely look better and more atmospheric with darker lighting and stronger contrast.

Normal:
Yejldtw.jpg

Dark:
x92u4EP.jpg

I get this is just a cutscene but I always feel like the rooms in Bloodstained are too bright, and it's not something that can be resolved by just adjusting the gamma.
That's a nice edit imo! that would be quite nice to fit the gothic like look Castlevania is usually known for.

I wonder how the game will look in a few months they still have quite the time for polishing things up.

I admit i was a lil worried about this whole project for a while but now not so much anymore. Things are shapin up neatly.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018

Normal:
Yejldtw.jpg

Dark:
x92u4EP.jpg

You should hit up the forums, the devs are really open to these kind of suggestions

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that looks A LOT better. I've had my doubt about this game, fearing another MN9, but this seems to be coming together quite nicely based on the latest footage we've gotten.
We've known this was not going to be another MN9 since the first backer demo they released back in summer of 2016! We didn't know how good it'll turn out to be but a MN9 levels of shitshow was just impossible after that very first demo. The only thing that makes them similar is that they were both Kickstarter games made by longtime JP developers who went independent. That's it.

It's like it's in people's DNA to bring MN9 in every Bloodstained conversation. Never fails.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
We've known this was not going to be another MN9 since the first backer demo they released back in summer of 2016! We didn't know how good it'll turn out to be but a MN9 levels of shitshow was just impossible after that very first demo. The only thing that makes them similar is that they were both Kickstarter games made by longtime JP developers who went independent. That's it.

It's like it's in people's DNA to bring MN9 in every Bloodstained conversation. Never fails.

The early gameplay that I saw looked bad. Awkward animations, floaty jumps, and the art direction didn't gel with me at all. It seemed to miss the mark entirely on what I expected of Castlevania, it's also headed by a well-know Japanese developer, and it is also a 3D translation of a classically 2D sprite-based source game. Hence the MN9 parallel.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The early gameplay that I saw looked bad. Awkward animations, floaty jumps, and the art direction didn't gel with me at all. It seemed to miss the mark entirely on what I expected of Castlevania, it's also headed by a well-know Japanese developer, and it is also a 3D adaptation of a classically 2D source game. Hence the MN9 parallel.
I get what you're saying but that first demo already looked way way better than MN9 ever did. That's what I'm saying, we didn't know how the final game would be but MN9 it wouldn't be. They had to fuck up many other things (including the communication with backers which the Bloodstained team has been incredible about not ever missing a single monthly update since 2015) for it to become a MN9 levels of shitshow. Bloodstained could still underwhelm and NOT be a MN9.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying but that first demo already looked way way better than MN9 ever did. That's what I'm saying, we didn't know how the final game would be but MN9 it wouldn't be. They had to fuck up many other things (including the communication with backers which the Bloodstained team has been incredible about not ever missing a single monthly update since 2015) for it to become a MN9 levels of shitshow. Bloodstained could still underwhelm and NOT be a MN9.

Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't kickstart MN9 or follow its updates, so I only have the final product as a reference point.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone got a side by side comparison of the actual game play view that's at the end of the trailer?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't kickstart MN9 or follow its updates, so I only have the final product as a reference point.
What I'm trying to say is there are many many layers below "bad" between Bloodstained being good and being a MN9 sized fiasco.

Exceptional
-
-
Good
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Bad
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
MN9 disaster

But nuance it's something you don't see on the Internet very often. Everything is either GOAT or "trash fire" with nothing in between.

Last edited:

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, it really does look much better now. I really hope this becomes an actual long lasting franchise.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I've always hated the MN9 comparisons. If you're a kickstarter backer you get monthly email updates, we've been able to see the progress of this game from beginning to now.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
That boss and the the little area she comes out of looks a lot better. Great improvement there. However, the background outside that only looks different to me, not necessarily better, aside from more detail. I might actually prefer how the light from the windows stood out with that black, compared to the gray in the new look.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like the look of the game, this art style is not for me, there are so few 2.5D games out there that nail the art style, I am just hoping the game play is good and the mechanics feel connected and fun, don't want my pledge to feel it was a waste.

The indivisible team pull it off and I bet with fewer budget I don't understand why he couldn't pull it...

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Night and day, but yeah, sound mixing is super weird in this video haha.

I always felt this on Igavanias, guess it's more pronounced in 3D for most people?

Seriously between Alucards walk and his drawnout turn around animation I thought that it was just IGA's style.

(Not that I mind, since if you alternated left and right it looks like a goofy dance)

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Cool, I was going to check the game out anyways, but nice to see it starting to look better, it looked rough for a while there.