• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The excuse that the early base code is fundamentally incompatible with a roguelike mode sort of falls completely apart when the promise of the mode predates the code.
And how they were talking early on about making reusable tilesets.

It's a pretty big disappointment, but the base game is still great. I just wish they had a New Game+ that let you keep all of your inventory but reset your level. I want to play from the start with the Swordwhip, but don't want to massively overpower everything.

Oct 28, 2017
I had a feeling this would happen with the rogue mode. Even during the Kickstarter I was sceptical that they would deliver on something like that.

Kickstarter stretch goals are often total over-promises to generate hype. And yet people get sucked in by these lofty goals (including me).

Shame because I really wanted that mode actually.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
About the rogue mode, it's sad. Or not, now that I think about it, I don't like rogue games after all. But I'll just say I had an intuition that this would happen. In fact, since they took so much time to fix the Switch version, I started to wonder if they would be able to do what they have promised. And now, I have less trust in their ability to create what's left.

Because, all of this costs money, which means less ressources dedicated to a new game. I can't say I'm not glad they're trying to keep their promises, but the more the time passes, the more it is costly for them to do so. After all, I don't think those last additions will bring in a lot of new customers.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I cleared everything in the game and got the Platinum trophy. The last thing to do was of course crafting all weapons and there are quite a lot actually. It was actually fun getting that trophy. I made a big list with all the missing weapons and started crafting and farming for materials. I crafted and dismantled a lot of stuff and spent almost 500k gold in the process. During this process I felt the game behaved a bit slower than usual but maybe it was me. Great game but right now I feel I have enough.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Platinum relatively early on and I've been waiting for Zangetsu before getting back into it. Feels like I've been waiting the better part of a year now.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Platinum relatively early on and I've been waiting for Zangetsu before getting back into it. Feels like I've been waiting the better part of a year now.
It has been 8 months since the game released, so it is getting close to a year. The poor Switch release and reception made them change their priorities and allocate all available resources to fixing it up for nearly the entire time. I can't imagine this was their original plan. I'd think they probably planned to do a brief bug fixing period and immediately jump into getting Zangetsu ready to go. Still, I'll be excited to experience the game again whenever it does make it out.

And then I really can't wait for player character #3 assuming it still happens.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
So I just got the shard that
sinks you to the bottom of the water parts.
How much longer I have till the end? I leave in a few days for a vacation and want to finish Bloodstained before I leave. I'm not trying to do every side mission, just the ones that show up as I work to beating the game.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got the shard that
sinks you to the bottom of the water parts.
How much longer I have till the end? I leave in a few days for a vacation and want to finish Bloodstained before I leave. I'm not trying to do every side mission, just the ones that show up as I work to beating the game.
Mmm, it's hard to know exactly bc the game is somewhat non-linear and it's been a while for me, but I'd say you're somewhere between half and 2/3?

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Soo I finally got to this game after backing it. I need some help please with one water section.

I am at the Forbidden Underground Waterway and swimming underwater. I got to a room where there is a crack in a wall and it looks like you can swim through it but you cant. How do I get through this to go to the other side? I thought you can maybe crouch and kick under to get through it but that is not working underwater. Also, how do I open chests underwater? Thank you.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Soo I finally got to this game after backing it. I need some help please with one water section.

I am at the Forbidden Underground Waterway and swimming underwater. I got to a room where there is a crack in a wall and it looks like you can swim through it but you cant. How do I get through this to go to the other side? I thought you can maybe crouch and kick under to get through it but that is not working underwater. Also, how do I open chests underwater? Thank you.
For chests, just keep on going through the water section. For the crack, Reflector Ray?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remembered that I kickstarted this thing and finally activated my copy on Switch.

It doesn't look good. It looks bad.

Should've stuck with the PS4 version...

Zangetsu and Randomizer Mode Release Date
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
www.kickstarter.com

Update 103: Publishing Update: Zangetsu and Randomizer Mode are coming soon! · Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

At long last we are ready to announce the launch date for Zangetsu and Randomizer! We know it has been a long wait and we appreciate your patience as we’ve worked to bring this update to you. Zangetsu and Randomizer will launch on PC, PS4, Xbox One on May 7th and Nintendo Switch by the end...

Zangetsu and Randomizer Mode are releasing this week on the 7th for PC, PS4 and XB1. Switch will get them either in late May or early June.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I recently upgraded to a desktop PC so when I saw this game go on sale I snatched it up. Been on my wishlist for a while. Curse of the Moon was a terrific little holdover.

So far it's exactly what I expected, which isn't a bad thing. Love me some Igavania.

Oct 30, 2017
Finally got to this game in my backlog, love it! I'm about 4 hours in, just got the double jump. What's the consensus on the whip? I don't like it's attack direction, I am really disappointed that the whip isn't my favorite. it's the damn whip!!!

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to this game in my backlog, love it! I'm about 4 hours in, just got the double jump. What's the consensus on the whip? I don't like it's attack direction, I am really disappointed that the whip isn't my favorite. it's the damn whip!!!
Whip is amazing w/ its command move and jump attack cancels. Has the bonus of hitting a good amount of area above and behind Miriam too. It's my second favorite after longswords.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I forget about the command attacks, too used to not having them I guess. Right now I'll use whatever the strongest weapon I've got but do have favorite types over others. I don't use shoes or guns at all.

I'm a bit disappointed after playing tonight, I fought the twin dragon and train bosses. Beat them both first shot a little too easily, I'm on normal difficulty. The train in particular I tanked it to death and couldn't even tell you what it's different attacks are.

The Zangetsu fight did give me a run for my money though, hopefully there are more fights like that

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I forget about the command attacks, too used to not having them I guess. Right now I'll use whatever the strongest weapon I've got but do have favorite types over others. I don't use shoes or guns at all.

I'm a bit disappointed after playing tonight, I fought the twin dragon and train bosses. Beat them both first shot a little too easily, I'm on normal difficulty. The train in particular I tanked it to death and couldn't even tell you what it's different attacks are.

The Zangetsu fight did give me a run for my money though, hopefully there are more fights like that
"Normal" is kind of easy once you get past Zangetsu. Hard (and nightmare) is where bosses get their full moveset and the game feels closer to Order of Ecclesia in terms of difficulty. With proper upgrading of weapons and shards the game will still feel easy but that's kind of how power progression feels in IGA's games. Hard mode just pushes that part of the curve out a bit more.

Oct 30, 2017
"Normal" is kind of easy once you get past Zangetsu. Hard (and nightmare) is where bosses get their full moveset and the game feels closer to Order of Ecclesia in terms of difficulty. With proper upgrading of weapons and shards the game will still feel easy but that's kind of how power progression feels in IGA's games. Hard mode just pushes that part of the curve out a bit more.
Oh man, OoE is one of my faves. I am not a replay kind of gamer though, hmm. *shrug* will keep going on normal and see how I feel at the end.

I fought the light beam boss last night. Tried to tank him the first time and lost. for my 2nd attempt I started to fight him properly and devolved into tanking again and beat him. Seems I am a creature of habit

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone try the DLC?
It's not up on the GamePass version of it. I haven't checked the PS4 version yet.
Oh man, OoE is one of my faves. I am not a replay kind of gamer though, hmm. *shrug* will keep going on normal and see how I feel at the end.

I fought the light beam boss last night. Tried to tank him the first time and lost. for my 2nd attempt I started to fight him properly and devolved into tanking again and beat him. Seems I am a creature of habit
If you enter the name NIGHTMARE as the file name you unlock all the difficulties. If you're not too far in it might be worth restarting if you want more of a challenge if this is going to be your only run.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone try the DLC?
Gave Zangetsu a quick try. On Normal difficulty, he feels a bit OP b/c he kills everything so fast. The flip side of that is, he can't heal or use items at all. The whole castle is unlocked from the start, so if you wander into endgame bosses like Revenant in the Warhorse Room you're going to be in for a very quick death (at least I was - 2 hits and I was a goner)! He does gain XP, level up, and you can find the HP/MP ups, but all other items are removed.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, stuff like the blood fountain is already drained for Zangetsu, and the long spike hallway is de-spiked too. Not sure how some of the Dimension Shifts later in the game will work...one I saw in the lab section was still there, but it was an optional quest thing.

A few things to note on him...his rising sword uppercut (Up +L1 in the air) can be done indefinitely, though it uses MP so you can only do so much at first. But you can use that to "fly" anywhere. His L1 Cool Guy Dash also has invincibility frames - you can go through most/all enemies, and if you keep doing it without missing a beat you can basically sail through hallways and enemies. He can presumably hit elemental weaknesses with his sword forms, plus there seems to be other properties to them (the electrical one seems to hit multiple times). I breezed through the first few bosses...might do the rest of a run later, but it's been so long I forgot the castle layout.

Also: at least on the PS4 version, I had to beat the game again to unlock him and the Randomizer mode. Not too big a deal since I still had my Miriam save from when I got the Platinum trophy, but it's a bit odd the game can't check to see if you've already done it.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also: at least on the PS4 version, I had to beat the game again to unlock him and the Randomizer mode. Not too big a deal since I still had my Miriam save from when I got the Platinum trophy, but it's a bit odd the game can't check to see if you've already done it.

Same. The officialTwitter account posted about it. It's not just Zangetsu that was locked for me - Hard/Nightmare difficulty were also locked away again until re-beating the game.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I played Bloodstained on the PC via GamePass and finished it on hard with 100%, changed computers and moved my savegames over to the new system. I can't access any of the new stuff on PC. I beat the final boss again just to confirm and that unlocked boss rush, but still no option to play as Zangetsu or access to the Randomizer. I checked my PS4 version and everything was working fine. I'd rather play on PC especially randomizer mode. Does anyone with this game on GamePass know if the update was pushed? According to the Microsoft Store the game's version is 1.0.1.0 even after hitting "Get Updates"

Oct 30, 2017
I assume this happened to everyone but I got one of the bad endings today (Gebel). They don't give you any indication before entering the boss door but you can simply load your most recent save so no biggie. There's a trophy tied to it so I would have wanted to do it anyway

Skrams

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Been messing around with Zangetsu for an hour or so, and while he's fun to play with I'm still a bit bored since I was hoping it'd be a bit more than just a Julius style mode. I was hoping it'd rely more on the Metroid this time around with keeping his gear/moves behind certain bosses. Considering his moveset allows him to just sail through all areas of the map, I've gotten about 20% in only 40 minutes. I figure I'll try to see myself through to the end since it can't be that much longer, but I was hoping it'd be a big of a bigger welcome back refresher to the game after platinuming it almost a year ago at this point.

I'm probably more genuinely excited for the speedrun potential of Zangetsu instead of playing him myself.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this happened to everyone but I got one of the bad endings today (Gebel). They don't give you any indication before entering the boss door but you can simply load your most recent save so no biggie. There's a trophy tied to it so I would have wanted to do it anyway
I literally one-shot him with 8-bit Fireball and was like wtf happened? Even got the medal for beating him without getting hit but didn't get to keep it after reloading.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Someone knows if the update have any issues in PS4?

I finished the game last year normally on my PS4 Pro, Today I finished the game again to unlock Zangetsu, but immediately after beating the last boss my PS4 made a really high noise and overheated turning off itself due being too hot.

Normally all games made in Unreal I notice the fans being louder (I have 7215 model), but this time I thought the PS4 is going to explode (lol)

Searching in internet I found some people with the same problem in the Official Forum, and other various reports in Gamefaqs and other sites/forums from recent dates and months ago. Seems like a PS4 Pro issue.

I cleaned my PS4 last week because my PS4 is turning on a jet engine playing Trials of Mana as well. I don't know why this only happens with unreal engine games. I'm playing FFVII remake and Re3 and it's rare to this happen, and they both are much more demanding games.

Reported to 505 support.

Anyone here with a Pro with had the same issue?

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I really should have just sold this after i beat it last year. Im so tired of constant technical headaches because of things just flat refusing to let me use them.

Im not rebeating this fucking game again to unlock Zangetsu because it cant be bothered to read my already completed save file.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine playing with Zangetsu for more than a couple of hours. Looking back I only liked Richter mode in SOTN because I was a kid with no money and a lot of time. Now I have a back log.

I still think this was done best in Dawn of Sorrow. Switching between 3 characters was way more interesting and fun.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Zangetsu mode I've already dropped after 4 bosses, generally the only of these OP character modes I've enjoyed are those in Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia.
Zangetsu's got great tools but it's such a breeze that who cares really? well I guess I can make it harder but the directionless cruise through the castle ain't my jam either.

With the time they took getting this out there I was expecting something more substantial or focused.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Yea no real interest in the Zangestu mode, I haven't enjoyed it in past games either. I was hoping this time it would be a bit more fleshed out.

Nice to see the switch version is further optimized since I was debating on giving it another quick play through anyway...

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't messed with the Zangetsu mode yet...maybe one day.

But I did take the Randomizer for a spin!

My thoughts on the options (based on what I selected):
  • Goal: Self-explanatory I guess? I picked True Evil, so most of the map should be in play?
  • Key Items: I've read it's a LOT better to just have them Shuffled instead of Anywhere unless you wanna tear your hair out.
  • Save/Warp Rooms: This is set to Shuffled on my current seed (I apparently did this on accident) and I'm sure it's gonna bite me in the ass. You can get stupid stuff like 2 Save Rooms next to each other.
  • Items: How random do you want them? You can retain by Type or Method or go full Random. Self-explanatory, but this actually affects other Options you can select, so be careful. I went Total Random, so should be fun.
  • Enemy Drops: You can have Mixed Items, Shards, or just Everything. It can get silly. (I picked Everything.)
  • Crafting: You're playing with Fire with this one. I had this set to Shuffled and holy shit, it's a mess... That said, Food stills randomizes stuff within Food groups, so that's not totally awful. Equipment crafting can get REALLY stupid like in my seed which requires lots of rare Equipment to make basic stuff. On the flip side, Items can be Dismantled into ALL sorts of stuff. Affected by Item settings.
  • Shops: Similar to Crafting and obeys Item settings. I was smart enough to not mess with this.
  • Quests: This just affects Quest Rewards, so it's relatively safe to mess with. This also is affected by Item settings. I managed to get a Blue Rose from an early quest in my current seed.
So yeah...my first seed is going interesting so far. Picked up a Blue Rose early on, as well as some Flame Armor.I was kinda stuck since I didn't have Craftwork or any other Shard to alter movement. Nabbed Blood Steal which led me down to the Underground where I was stuck for a while until I got that one shard that propels you underwater. So now there's more to explore...

Update: Beat it in 6:44:44. Yeah...the logic in this one seemed pretty weird. I'm curious on what exactly it thinks are Key Items. After being able to move underwater, I beat Orobas for...Deep Sinker. But then I got Dimension Shift from another Boss which helped a bit after that. Apparently I found out you can sorta spam Dimension Shift to propel yourself upwards. So then I was able to beat Bloodless for Invert and Andreaphus for Reflector Ray (which by that point was useless). As for the Key Items thing, I mentioned it because I got the Zangetsuto from a random Green chest, and that's something you NEED to access the True Final Boss... So I didn't have to beat all of the Bosses to complete the seed. But most of that was because the game was pretty generous in giving out endgame gear.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, my criticisms about Normal difficulty being too easy were placed in check last night, Bloodless (the umbrella vampire boss) was quite a treat. I died maybe 5x and was forced to recognize and react to her attacks rather than just tank through her. I needed to lean on healing items to stay alive and this is when I learned that food heals HP, I thought it was just for the first time bonuses when you eat them!

So the bad ending has soured my sense for exploration in the game. Up until the 1st bad ending I was having a great time exploring the castle on my own and being thorough. Now that that's happened, I went online to see how to get/avoid the 2nd bad ending and I unfortunately can't play the game now without that threat looming over me. I want to get the 2nd bad ending before the good ending but making sure I do things in the right order is seriously killing my fun.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
The progression doesn't really change at all for the next 2 endings.

I'll throw a spoiler tag just incase so I don't accidentally say to much on the subject.

Bad Ending 1
Kill Gebel

Bad ending 2
Continue playing game normal until you have the Zangetsuto, kill Gebel with that sword. (The sword is not missable) Once you've done that simply reload your save and Continue from there.

Oct 30, 2017
The progression doesn't really change at all for the next 2 endings.

I'll throw a spoiler tag just incase so I don't accidentally say to much on the subject.

Bad Ending 1
Kill Gebel

Bad ending 2
Continue playing game normal until you have the Zangetsuto, kill Gebel with that sword. (The sword is not missable) Once you've done that simply reload your save and Continue from there.
hey that makes it much easier! whatever guide I pulled up made it seem much more intricate. I think they are including what to do to get through the game regardless of ending. Thanks for that

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts on the randomizer :

- Definitely adds a ton of replayability, I can see mutliple playthroughs and challenges with this.

- Loot drop table on monsters isn't fully randomize as I thought, lets say I kill a bat, the bat's drops a lili tail which means the bat's loot drop table is basically the whole lilith item table except the shard.
Which means if lucky early on I kill a morte/bat that has a mid/late game monster loot item table I can easily brute force with just weapons and armor(no shard).

-If you are lucky to get alkahest early on, it is another level of brokeness, even the simplest item you break down can be the most powerful item ever. I was surprised when I break down a ruby which gave me 2 x Gebel Glasses on one of my seed runs.

I'm pretty happy with the randomizer, definitely gonna fiddle around more.

Oct 30, 2017
I beat the game last night (on standard, first time playing). That final area kicked my butt, I was nervous going from room to room and looked the map up online to see where the save areas are. The bosses here were mostly good but I was so let down by the giant gambling boss, his fight in Curse of the Moon was 100x better. For the final boss of the game, I let myself use as many healing items as needed since there's no need for them after this and beat it on my first shot.

I really enjoyed the game, I won't be playing it on harder difficulties or different characters and am satisfied with it. Makes me want to replay the handheld igavanias, maybe I will.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Really disappointed with no Roguelike mode, especially since that was my most anticipated of the stretch goals. I'll give randomizer a go, but I'm not particularly fond of those modes. Why have roguelike as a stretch goal since the start of the Kickstarter if it wasn't possible?

Fantastic game, and one of the better projects I've kickstarted, but I'm definitely disappointed in how this has shaken out so far. I can't remember how many stretch goals are left, but I wasn't as excited for those compared to roguelike mode.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Main sell for me that they have yet to deliver on is the online co-op mode. At the rate they're going, I'm not sure what year we'll see that feature released, if ever.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really disappointed with no Roguelike mode, especially since that was my most anticipated of the stretch goals. I'll give randomizer a go, but I'm not particularly fond of those modes. Why have roguelike as a stretch goal since the start of the Kickstarter if it wasn't possible?

Because being able to tell something won't be possible years down the line isn't an easy thing to do?

Randomisers are better for metroidvanias than rogue like nonsense anyway.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Because being able to tell something won't be possible years down the line isn't an easy thing to do?

Randomisers are better for metroidvanias than rogue like nonsense anyway.

Yes, actually. When a project is at the beginning stages of development, and a feature is considered that early in advance, it is usually worked into the design document and iterated on during the course of development, and if it's determined to be unworkable, it is either reworked until it is, or it's scrapped. The point is, the feature would have been prototyped in some capacity, and the team would have seen if it was workable or not as soon as possible.

The roguelike feature that was promised as a Kickstarter stretch goal would have been evident as unworkable ages ago, and they could have informed backers that it wasn't going to work, and they'd work on a replacement feature instead that better fit into the design of their game. These sorts of things don't just sneak up on a dev team.

Also, just because you don't like rogue likes doesn't mean it's nonsense, just a genre/mechanic you don't like. Not everyone likes the same things, and that doesn't equate to objective fact, just subjective opinion.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
2020_Roadmap.jpg