• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
PSA: Threaded Cane is still the BEST weapon of ALL TIME.

I'd have agreed but after getting access to Beast Cutter, the Threaded Cane comes up just short (on range as well).

I will forever stand by the Tonitrus. Turning that thing on is a beautiful animation. And it's pretty quick

Yea, it's efficacy is compromised by its fragility (by design) but given I can still one hand it post transformation allows for parry and riposte. The boom hammer is a great alternative for the beasts.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Too many good weapons, made going to ds 3 feel like a downgrade.

Eileen the crow's daggers move set is just perfect.

Same with the cane.

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so good. The fact that it never got a Pro patch will go down as this generation's biggest injustice.

I'm sure they'll remaster it for PS5, but man. :C

Oct 29, 2017
Managed the amazing feat of dying not one but FIVE(5) times to Paarl. The arc of the first attack of the hammer is real bad to hit his head

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Also the first time you're defeated by those sack cloak guys is a great moment in the game. I was left confused as fuck and thought I discovered a rare secret or something.

Also do you guys remember fighting the Djura the Powder Keg guy for the first time? He was like the early game version of the hunter in the cathedral near the end of the game. I had to cheese him off the edge of the tower or else I had no hope.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
I have a PS4 Pro Bundle in my Amazon Cart with this game and the other Souls games, ready to buy on my Birthday (May 25th) at the release of Souls Remastered :).

Question though... if I sign up for PS+ then, is Bloodborne still there from now? Or only available in March?

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I have a PS4 Pro Bundle in my Amazon Cart with this game and the other Souls games, ready to buy on my Birthday (May 25th) at the release of Souls Remastered :).

Question though... if I sign up for PS+ then, is Bloodborne still there from now? Or only available in March?
You can add it to your library as long as you are a PS+ member during any of the days that Bloodborne is a PS+ Free Game (expected to end in early April, right?). You'll need an active PS+ subscription to play it, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Nah ps+ games change monthly so if you do not redeem Bloodborne this month you're not getting it 'free' again, not until (if) they put it into the rotation again, at the very least.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I will never not laugh at those gifs of Vicar Amelia and Orphan. I'd love to know where they're from.
I killed cleric beast the first time I met it. I could probably kill BSB in my sleep. But probably due to PTSD, I piss my pants at the second half of Father G's fight. My wife has taken to appending 'Gascoigne' as a suffix for anything terrifying or angry. Every time he starts rushing me like hell, I am like damn son, calm. the. fuck. down.
I don't think I ever want to fight Orphan again (but my first time was under leveled on NG+)

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Paarl is not a problem, it was just me fucking up because I was impatient.

What you could do is buy the PS+ at the end of the month and put the game in your download list through thr website.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time for Preyers:

26934423969_d1a10c2bff_o.jpg

Wow, I didn't know about that level being a dead end. I'll definitely do that then. I am not fully sure but I've read that if you do not kill
Wet Nurse
prior to finishing the DLC, you have access to additional dialogues with the Doll.
Oh, yeah, there's a little bit of dialogue, forgot about that. But Mergo's Loft Middle(Where that boss is) Is totally grindable without fighting her in any way. (Also has tons of chunks and the area before that a Blood Rock, the final upgrade material).

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
PSA: Threaded Cane is still the BEST weapon of ALL TIME.
So tempted to start a new play through, the cane is one of the few weapons I literally never used.
I started with the saw cleaver and it ended up being my most used weapon because of its speed and power.
I also lost all my USB saves I made for most bosses, wanted to have the option to replay certain bosses whenever I wanted.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yesss, despite my massive backlog I've been drawn back to this yet again. It's as a sherpa, for a friend as usual. But I'll use any excuse I can lol!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Me reading this thread: Every weapon is the best weapon in the game.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strength weapon recommendations? I've only had payed the game as dex and bloodtinge builds. I'm gonna jump back in

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Without spoiling, can anyone let me know if I have gone past the halfway mark?

I have unlocked (not played through)
Nightmare Frontier and Yahargul The Unseen Village.

Don't feel bad. I am taking a break from the game at the moment myself but this is the farthest I have been with it. I started the game unsuccessfully twice when it launched and my previous experiences include Demons and Dark Souls. It takes a different mind set to enjoy this game and the game can also be classed as "horror" which isn't my cup of tea. BSB is an utterly frustrating during its tertiary stage and aside from one boss (in a castle far far away) all my boss battles have been co-op aided. I have a level 117 character and I think I'm over the half way mark but I still want to level up a bit more before entering the Old Hunters DLC, which from the myriad videos I have seen, looks to be an even more hopeless and twisted version of base game.

Time for creeps:

39864121882_88bf594548_o.png

I also haven't done the DLC haha. If I remember I think you a more than halfway through.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Without spoiling, can anyone let me know if I have gone past the halfway mark?

I have unlocked (not played through)
Nightmare Frontier and Yahargul The Unseen Village.

Don't feel bad. I am taking a break from the game at the moment myself but this is the farthest I have been with it. I started the game unsuccessfully twice when it launched and my previous experiences include Demons and Dark Souls. It takes a different mind set to enjoy this game and the game can also be classed as "horror" which isn't my cup of tea. BSB is an utterly frustrating during its tertiary stage and aside from one boss (in a castle far far away) all my boss battles have been co-op aided. I have a level 117 character and I think I'm over the half way mark but I still want to level up a bit more before entering the Old Hunters DLC, which from the myriad videos I have seen, looks to be an even more hopeless and twisted version of base game.

Time for creeps:

39864121882_88bf594548_o.png

Yes, you're past the halfway point. The half way point is usually considered,
When Rom the spider is defeated. Doing so destroys the dream over Yharnam and gives way to the nightmare. This is why you see the sky as red with the moon bigger. The night is closing and the hunt is almost over.

Edit: the spoiler here is for those that haven't reached the unseen village.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Does the old trick of buying DLC for PS+ game to keep it forever still works? New players might want to look into that.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers, obviously, but who was the boss that gave you the most trouble first time through?

For me, Father Gasgcoine. I'd played a bit of Dark Souls before but never really got into it. The setting and apparent lore were too enticing to not give it a go, so in I went. Father Gasgcoine nearly made me quit. I knew Bloodborne was going to be a masterpiece after playing for an hour, but Gasgcoine nearly beat me down.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers, obviously, but who was the boss that gave you the most trouble first time through?

For me, Father Gasgcoine. I'd played a bit of Dark Souls before but never really got into it. The setting and apparent lore were too enticing to not give it a go, so in I went. Father Gasgcoine nearly made me quit. I knew Bloodborne was going to be a masterpiece after playing for an hour, but Gasgcoine nearly beat me down.

For me it was
Ebrietas, by far. Her second phase and charge were just ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017

Very easily the Watchdog in the defiled chalice. Ebrietas for the main game. Haven't gone through the DLC yet.

AceofSpades

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me reading this thread: Every weapon is the best weapon in the game.

This is where BB shines compared to DS3. Fewer weapons BUT every weapon is unique and different. DS3 blaster you with tens of similar weapons that move exactly the same just different stats.

It was really boggling my mind that reviewers knocked the game for having less weapons than other souls games.

BB weapon variety and the transformation mechanics is unmatched. absolutely brilliant.

Oct 29, 2017
Oof. Big L finally down, after quite a few attempts, 10 or so I think but tbh I just love fighting him, it's such a good boss fight. Did it at lvl 49.

And here's me as Valtr.

DXawIJtWAAU_tMc.jpg

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys i can't decide. Moonblade or chikage?
Also Both are pretty far away, right? Any weapon to use before them?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

AceofSpades

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

for me it was:

Ebrietas, hits like a tank with huge health pool. Did I say something about that laser attack? yeah. that :)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's the closest thing to an Ultra Greatsword in this game?

Ludwig's Holy Blade.

I would think you would like the Kirkhammer given you can just stunlock everything which means less dodging on your part.

I'm trying the hammer right now and its decent. Not sure whether to use it or the whirligig saw for strength weapons.

I'm just too used to skill weapons like the pick and the BoM.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

That fight was so very strange for me.
The first time I "fought" him, thanks to the shitty geometry around the tombstones, I actually got stuck inside a row of them, unable to get out. There are actually a few areas in that game where that can happen too. I died of course, and I don't even really count that as a legitimate attempt. I hadn't even lost any health until getting stuck. The second time I fought (and killed) him, I got him to one third of his health before he was even able to stand up in his transformed state, and then two more hits and he was dead.
So many people kept talking about how difficult that fight was, and I had no idea what they were talking about. On consecutive playthroughs though, I got it. The camera seriously shits the bed if you fight him anywhere other than on the upper levels.

Anyway, the boss that I liked the least, and one that gave me the most trouble even after having finished the game multiple times was
Bloodstarved Beast.
. I know the tricks of the fight, but the spaztastic nature of it, as well as the extremely dubious hitbox (hello Dark Souls 2) of the grab tend to piss me off more than any other fight in the game.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
What's the closest thing to an Ultra Greatsword in this game?

Ludwig's holy sword is the straight sword/greatsword of the game. It's a great sword that will carry you the whole game and it's obtainable right after old yharnam, so it's pretty early in the game. I used it in my last playthrough for the platinum trophy and it was great. I would recommend leveling strength and skill together with that weapon to get the most out of it. Some people say more strength, but putting points into skill will raise the damage of your visceral damage if you're good enough to parry like I was doing. Hope that helps!

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Orphan of Kos. I'm so bad at him I can't even get past phase 1. And people say phase 1 is a cakewalk, while phase 2 nearly impossible. My god. Been playing offline, but now I have to get ps+ to get someone help me with him.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
if you kill the spiders first he's a lot more manageable. they have armoured heads like rom, so you need to try to hit them from behind. the most dangerous attack they do is the jump, but it's telegraphed by a little side jump. once rom gets to his 2nd phase (when he teleports), the magic he does can be pretty annoying if you don't know how to avoid it. when he raises his belly, he's summoning meteors that you can avoid just by sprinting in a straight line, and when he rolls over it means he will summon meteors from the ground (iirc), which you can avoid just by running to a spot you haven't been in the past few seconds.

if you kill all his spiders each time he summons them, you'll slowly but surely whittle his health down. rom is essentially patience: the boss fight

If you rage quit, I'm sure you looked up strategies but here are my two cents:

I'm not sure what your approach was, but I really recommend getting somewhat near the radius of spider minions and then sprinting in a zig-zaggy pattern aimed to confuse their AI. Lead them into a direction that distracts from your subsequent attack on Rom. I would basically sprint towards Rom, make a sharp left (or right depending), while aggro-ing as many minions as possible, let them get into their jumping and attacking animations, sprint back towards Rom and get a small barrage of hard hits in.

Rinse, repeat for the first two (I think?) phases.

After that Rom launches into that bullshit Arcane meteor shower, be sure to stay within a somewhat close radius to avoid triggering that. I managed to dodge it reliably enough when it did happen, but was never 100% on how I did it...just kind of rolled like a maniac and prayed. Use the same strategy as above but make sure to only stick to like three hits or something and then dart out of there to avoid the AoE thing where Rom rolls onto its back.

Most important thing: Use thunder paper or a thunder weapon.

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah I've followed most of those tips in earlier attempts. Still kept dying because of unfortunate missteps. I'll try to stack on thunder papers. And most importantly, be more patient.

Which weapons did you end up using against it btw. Ludwig's Holy Blade is my go to weapon. Wish I had the lightning mace but didn't find it yet. And debating if I should go find it first before going in for another attempt.