• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
If Blizzard is not what it is without crunch, then Blizzard should not exist.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
So the founder of a company said that their current business model is unsustainable? If Investors cared, they'd panic right now.

Edit: Didn't read the now-departed founder part... but still...

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Seemingly a damning admission of the company's core business being unsustainable, but what do I know!

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A studio where half their games were cancelled at various stages of development after several years each?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not that it's ever been great on the employees, but why has there been such a huge focus on crunch lately? How many developers that aren't relatively small indies don't have it? Are you fine with games being delayed up to another six months or a year after already being delayed? Because that seems like what will happen if this blows up.

edit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/cr...-without-it-founder-says.126003/post-22281623

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that it's ever been great on the employees, but why has there been such a huge focus on crunch lately? How many developers that aren't relatively small indies don't have it? Are you fine with games being delayed up to another six months or a year after already being delayed? Because that seems like what will happen if this blows up.
It's the news cycle/makes good headlines/people have decided to fixate on it. Like how "ludo-narrative dissonance" became all anyone talked about for a couple of months arbor one point. People cling to things.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. For fuck's sake, yes.

I'm fine with waiting longer for a game if it means that the devs are able to work sane hours and not kill themselves crunching. Jesus Christ, what kind of a little piss-baby shithead would demand devs work themselves to death so all the little piss-baby shitheads could play their game sooner?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Of course Blizzard is better now than they were 10 years ago. 10 years ago they were making Titan, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and Hearthstone concurrently. I think the scope of the projects at Blizzard is an indicator on why they aren't doing much if any crunching in the present day.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's the news cycle/makes good headlines/people have decided to fixate on it. Like how "ludo-narrative dissonance" became all anyone talked about for a couple of months arbor one point. People cling to things.

Yeah, I get that, but it's like ignoring that this has existed for decades already, and that none of the "cherished" developers are actually safe from this. Yet none seem to be targeted until it's actually revealed that they are doing it...as if they weren't already.

Yes. For fuck's sake, yes.

I'm fine with waiting longer for a game if it means that the devs are able to work sane hours and not kill themselves crunching. Jesus Christ, what kind of a little piss-baby shithead would demand devs work themselves to death so all the little piss-baby shitheads could play their game sooner?

Probably most large publishers, but I guess it's easier to just keep heads in the sand right? Or is there simply a level of "acceptable" crunch for you? Because they likely all do it in some way. That's what they used to call the polishing stage.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
If you can't run a business that treats your people properly, then you don't deserve to be in business. I hope all those employees who get treated badly find a place that respects and values them.

This isn't a zero sum game. It's perfectly feasible to do the right thing AND be profitable.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
This is the founder that just left the company. So yea he doesn't have to worry about hurting his former employees anymore or what the consequences of calling the company unsustainable will be. So brave of him.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The less crunch the better. Even if it was apart of your company's makeup.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Probably most large publishers, but I guess it's easier to just keep heads in the sand right? Or is there simply a level of "acceptable" crunch for you? Because they likely all do it in some way. That's what they used to call the polishing stage.
Are you trying to find some sort of idiotic gotcha?

I've been a part of dev crunch.

CRUNCH.

FUCKING.

DESTROYS.

PEOPLE.

So don't play all "Ooh, you criticize society, yet participate in it! How curious!" on me.

HellBlazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Uh, I'm gonna quote what Morhaime actually said, because that headline seems to be sensationalizing it a lot. Basically, Blizzard wouldn't be where it's at without the crunch they've done in the past, but that's not sustainable and things need to change.

"Blizzard has definitely evolved around crunch," Morhaime commented during a roundtable interview after an on-stage discussion of his 28 years at the company, which began life in 1991 as three-head studio Silicon & Synapse, Inc. "In our early days we crunched crazy hours to get the games done. I think if you're a small studio, you're living or dying by the success of the next project, it takes a lot of superhuman effort - or at least it did for us."

"I can't speak for other companies and I'm sure there are better ways of doing things, but for us, I don't think we would have been as successful if we hadn't put in everything that we had."

Morhaime agrees that crunching to ship games may do more harm than good. "That is not sustainable, and we need to find better ways of working, and so, I think you're finding companies are doing a lot better these days, managing sort of controlled crunches where people are working really hard, but they're not working 24/7.

"They're taking breaks, they're sleeping, and I think the larger companies are able to hire more staff. And actually even the smaller companies - there's a lot more money coming into the space these days, so even the smaller companies are able to get funded to do the work they want to do better than in the past."

Also:

Blizzard has recently declared its intent to move away from crunch. "Generally our policy on the team itself is we want to be a no-crunch team," John Hight, executive producer and vice president for World of Warcraft at Blizzard, told Eurogamer editor Oli Welsh in May. "We're not there 100 per cent yet, but we're really dramatically better than we were even five years ago, certainly 10 years ago. I think that very few parts of the team end up having to work any degree of overtime."

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
Warcraft 2 came out in less than a year after Warcraft 1.
Brood War came out ~8 months after Starcraft.

Heroes of the Storm was putting out characters every month or so.

They were putting out games yearly in the 90s, but the releases start getting spaced out a lot more in the 00s. They have over 4000 employees. Isn't that more than enough manpower for game development? Obviously they don't have all of them working on one game but I still don't understand how they have crunch.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The OP is framed badly.

Did anyone read the article lol? It's mega short.

Post 31 has it covered.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
They were putting out games yearly in the 90s, but the releases start getting spaced out a lot more in the 00s. They have over 4000 employees. Isn't that more than enough manpower for game development? Obviously they don't have all of them working on one game but I still don't understand how they have crunch.

Well Morhiame was talking about Blizzard's past and the changes they've made to avoid crunch since then, though it's not surprising there would be periods of crunch even now at Blizzard. They have 4000+ employees but that's all the jobs at the company from QA, artists, developers, marketing, esports, HR, etc. The esports team isn't going to be crunching right before the release of Diablo 4. The Overwatch team right now is making Overwatch "2" while also supporting the live game and working on the esports side with Overwatch League. To their credit, there has been a notice on the Battle.net launcher that they've been hiring for the Overwatch team for at least a year now so they're staffing up instead of just putting more work on everyone's plate.

Oct 26, 2017
Blizzard, known for it's "It's done when it's done" mantra, says they can't sustain themselves without crunch.

Bunch of hypocrits, apparently they can take as much time as they need to finish a game but can't help but overwork their workers to reach deadlines.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris

oh no, we would have to wait another six months or a year for the next AAA game? How would we ever survive? Waiting a whole year for the next AAA game is simply unacceptable, the people making these games simply have to be unable to see their families and friends so that I can get my entertainment as quickly and as fast as possible.

More seriously, the reason why there's such a focus on crunch is because workers are tired of being exploited, people are suffering while suits are getting away with millions of dollars in profit, and there's simply wider coverage of it now.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

In the midst of the current push for industry-wide unionization it doesn't, as they say, take a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing

And yes, yes. 6 months is far better than the quality sacrifices and, importantly, human health sacrifices needed to get a game on shelves. I like video games a lot, but I don't like them that much, and as a software developer myself I believe in the strongest possible terms that crunch worsens development quality.

Nov 14, 2017
That's a shitty hot take. Maybe it's more the case that a lot of players are stuck in shitty temp agency jobs - like Treyarch QA - and so find the situation relatable and want to know about it?

A strong labor movement benefits us all. In fact, if you want capitalism to be stabilise then having good collective bargaining on the part of the workers is pretty much essential.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Erm... yes?

Of course, I'd like to play the games I want to play immediately, but as an empathetic human being I'm more than willing to delay that gratification if it means that the people making the games can do so without ruining their lives and then being tossed aside in favour of newer grist for the mill.

On a more selfish note, more games are currently coming out than I'm able to play. If longer dev times leads to less frequent game releases, I'm perfectly down for that.

Eh, that's a bit of a false equivalence. Talk of "ludo-narrative dissonance" was mostly weird navel-gazing. Being concerned about the well-being of the people who make the things you enjoy is admirable.

A lot of this comes down to Jason Schreier putting in the investigative work to uncover and publicize the conditions these people are working under. I think it's good that he's making more people talk about this, as it may lead to changes that tangibly improve people's lives.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I would be 100% fine with it. The problem isn't customers, it's publishers. Publishers are the ones that don't want to pay for an extra year of development.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017

Would be fine with delays, or even games scaling back from being so massive these days. Not every game needs to be a 50+ hour open world experience or an ever evolving GAAS.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't believe this will ever stop in the HD era (not that it didn't happened before ) game budgets, costs are ridicously high like ridicuosly so. Current games need hundreds of employees and take 3+years to come out, probably with lots of outsourcing too and it will only get worse