• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Hello, i was wondering if anyone had any good resources, tips, tutorials, etc. To start doing character modelling, beginner level? I tried a couple of times but i always get frustrated and don't get past the head.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Hello, i was wondering if anyone had any good resources, tips, tutorials, etc. To start doing character modelling, beginner level? I tried a couple of times but i always get frustrated and don't get past the head.

Character modelling, especially realistic humans, is really hard. Getting frustrated is normal but remember every mistake, if you recognize it, is progress.

As with anything modelling/sculpting related, don't rush into detailing too quickly, try to shoot for 3 or 4 passes of detail. The first one is over proportions, using mostly primitives build the shape, then go for landmarks> where the eyes are placed, where the ears are placed etc. Then do a few detail paces and keep the resolution as low as you can while still getting the look you want for as long as you can.

Use Reference! It isn't cheating, it isn't copying, and it will help you see the things (anatomically) that you just have stored to memory yet.

Oct 26, 2017
I followed this tutorial from Darrin Lile. It's still on Blender 2.7 but he has an amazing soothing way of explaining principles and problems that creep up during character modelling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QT1GNMevfc&list=PLyelx0TsmSpcnM61Z2XLrs1sInsQvdfl0

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Character modelling, especially realistic humans, is really hard. Getting frustrated is normal but remember every mistake, if you recognize it, is progress.

As with anything modelling/sculpting related, don't rush into detailing too quickly, try to shoot for 3 or 4 passes of detail. The first one is over proportions, using mostly primitives build the shape, then go for landmarks> where the eyes are placed, where the ears are placed etc. Then do a few detail paces and keep the resolution as low as you can while still getting the look you want for as long as you can.

Use Reference! It isn't cheating, it isn't copying, and it will help you see the things (anatomically) that you just have stored to memory yet.

I followed this tutorial from Darrin Lile. It's still on Blender 2.7 but he has an amazing soothing way of explaining principles and problems that creep up during character modelling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QT1GNMevfc&list=PLyelx0TsmSpcnM61Z2XLrs1sInsQvdfl0

Thank you both for the advice/tutorial! Yeah, it's easy to get frustrated, it feels like learning to draw all over again but i do think after multiple attempts at a head i was going quicker and slightly better so that's a positive :).

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you both for the advice/tutorial! Yeah, it's easy to get frustrated, it feels like learning to draw all over again but i do think after multiple attempts at a head i was going quicker and slightly better so that's a positive :).
The most important thing about character modelling is topology. Even if you're not planning on animating it, good understanding of the needed topology will help immensely. Also at the start: keep it as low poly as possible.
Speed comes with experience, always.
I am currently looking into learning rigging and animation and it's quite the challenge. Takes me forever to just set up good weight paints.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
The most important thing about character modelling is topology. Even if you're not planning on animating it, good understanding of the needed topology will help immensely. Also at the start: keep it as low poly as possible.
Speed comes with experience, always.
I am currently looking into learning rigging and animation and it's quite the challenge. Takes me forever to just set up good weight paints.

Topology is way low down in the line for character modelling in my opinion. If your just starting out then you shouldn't be worrying about topology at all. You should just learning sculpting tools and anatomy and just getting something that vaguelly resembles a human or animal.

Although maybe the poster doesn't want character modelling and is more interested in low poly modelling, I noticed the tutorial is really old.

Oct 26, 2017
Topology is way low down in the line for character modelling in my opinion. If your just starting out then you shouldn't be worrying about topology at all. You should just learning sculpting tools and anatomy and just getting something that vaguelly resembles a human or animal.

Although maybe the poster doesn't want character modelling and is more interested in low poly modelling, I noticed the tutorial is really old.
Depends on what workflow you favour. I agree that sculpt and retopo is the way to go for production assets. But as an exercise topology teaches you a lot more about structure and geometry of faces/bodies than sculpting.
The tutorial might be old, but the principles of good topology are still applicable. Even when doing retopo it's imperative to understand topology else your edgeflow will turn into a mess.

If you just want to do quick design work without worrying about animation you can just use makehuman or daz for a base mesh and then sculpt the rest

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on what workflow you favour. I agree that sculpt and retopo is the way to go for production assets. But as an exercise topology teaches you a lot more about structure and geometry of faces/bodies than sculpting.
The tutorial might be old, but the principles of good topology are still applicable. Even when doing retopo it's imperative to understand topology else your edgeflow will turn into a mess.

If you just want to do quick design work without worrying about animation you can just use makehuman or daz for a base mesh and then sculpt the rest

Yeah I don't know I thought organic character modelling was done mostly in sculpting apps like zbrush, 3dcoat, etc. Personally I'd even do low poly characters in a sculpting app, it's more fun than pulling verts around and easier to get it into those forms I feel, and then retopo after.

Getting the proportions and anatomy correct is more important than topology flow to start with I think.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't know I thought organic character modelling was done mostly in sculpting apps like zbrush, 3dcoat, etc. Personally I'd even do low poly characters in a sculpting app, it's more fun than pulling verts around and easier to get it into those forms I feel, and then retopo after.

Getting the proportions and anatomy correct is more important than topology flow to start with I think.
The thing with verts modelling is that it forces you to really think about shape. It's harder and more time consuming, but it is a great learning exercise that can help you understand proportions and anatomy better than sculpting. Organic modelling ofc is done primarily with sculpt/retopo workflows these days. But you can see with a lot of people starting out with sculpting, that they get lost in detail rather than first focusing on basic shapes and volume.

At the very least learning to create a decent base mesh for sculpting would also be enough to learn anatomy and proportions.

But the great thing is that you can do both techniques these days and mix and match to achieve what you want. Especially once you add in clothes and accessories to the character.

Edit: Btw I completely feel your point about sculpting being more fun. Ultimately it doesn't matter what workflow you use. If it works for what you want to achieve, and you're having fun. Go for it. I think that's really important for having fun with 3D. It gets tedious and frustrating all by itself sometimes.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I would really like to learn how to do sculpting in this to make figures/statues to 3D print. I tried in the past but either couldn't get my brain on it or got frustrated.

I used to be able to sculpt and I have tried to keep up with my drawing but it been a couple years since I did regularly.

It looks like a super cool bit of software.

Oct 26, 2017
Just tested out cycles X .... Wow. It's literally night and day. A 35 min Render done in 5 mins, without any optimization

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Is there any way to like
Make blenders interface sensible? There's so many different kinds of menus and hotkeys and windows and mode switches that are completely separate from each other. Like, you right click to open one menu, go to another menu on screen, open up a third with a hotkey, a fourth with a different hotkey and none of them have the same options. Menus and hotkeys And quick bars and whatnot should all be redundant. There shouldn't be three parts of the screen with different ui paradigms and three distinct feature sets just to change the properties of an object.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a 3D Art OT?
Yeah, but it doesn't get posted in very often.
www.resetera.com

3D Modeling |OT| If you like Piña COLLADA

This is a place for seasoned 3D artists and beginners alike to discuss all things 3D modeling, exchange ideas and share their work. Learning Resources: Pixelfondue (Free) (Modo, Substance, Universal Modeling Tips) ZClassroom (Free) (ZBrush) Modo Geeks TV (Free) (Modo) Peter Stammbach (Free)...

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on making a new thread on it, mainly because it's been 21 years since 2.xx

new OT
OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might wanna also make it an OT since that's what we've been using this one as for the past 2 years.
got a new thread up here. let me know if there's anything to add

www.resetera.com

Blender 3D 3.0 OT || Cycles X Gon Give it to Ya OT

after 21 years, Blender has moved out of 2.xx and into the 3.xx era! Cycles X, Geometry Nodes, Asset Browser, and may new things about https://www.blender.org/download/ https://store.steampowered.com/app/365670/Blender/...