Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017

Coming to Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as a free update for all players, The Stir of Dawn will take the Blasphemous experience to the next level with:

• New Game+
  • A new, optional 'Three Penitence' system.
  • New storylines, NPCs, bosses, enemies and areas to discover.
  • New Executions & Counter attack mechanic.
  • Revamped map system with more fast travel locations.
  • New items, animations and level art reworks.
  • Updated voice acting, including a full Spanish language option.
  • Balance changes including: Buffed Prayers, Rosary Bead & Sword Heart updates plus enemy tweaks!
All of this and more will be coming to Blasphemous on August 4th!

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I asked in another thread and got no response, but, how does this run on Switch?

It's on sale and I've been meaning to pick it up, and this is as good a time as any, but I'll wait for a better sale on PC if the Switch performance isn't up to scratch.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I asked in another thread and got no response, but, how does this run on Switch?

It's on sale and I've been meaning to pick it up, and this is as good a time as any, but I'll wait for a better sale on PC if the Switch performance isn't up to scratch.

I just myself looked this up as I had the same question and it looks like it is running well after a some what rough launch.

There is a bug if you put the Switch to sleep while the game is running, when you return to the game there will be dips in FPS.

There is a demo by the way.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown

It's been awhile since I've played this, but I don't remember any performance issues on Switch.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I just myself looked this up as I had the same question and it looks like it is running well after a some what rough launch.

There is a bug if you put the Switch to sleep while the game is running, when you return to the game there will be dips in FPS.

There is a demo by the way.

Good to know, thanks!

I did download the demo and then failed to bother playing it in typical me fashion. Been too preoccupied with finally replaying TWEWY though.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017

I played it and it was fine. Maybe got stuck in a wall once, not sure if that was a switch specific problem.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Sounds great. I had a bunch of issues with the game at launch but they've done a really good job addressing them so far and this seems to be an even bigger step in the right direction.

Full Spanish voice acting is a nice addition, the English voice work was real bad in places.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
For real!

I'm so bummed that I missed the physical print of this. If they don't announce another round of copies I'll just cave and pick it up digitally.

I've been snapping up the Limited Run releases from Best Buy gradually, as I ain't made of money, and I'm used to having at least a few months to do so before some of the more popular titles (Celeste, Bloodstained) start to go out of print, but for Blasphemous it was like four to six weeks and it was gone.

I've considering going via eBay but while copies of the $35 release were going for $50 back in May they're now climbing up to $75, which is a tough swallow for a game that's currently going for a little over $10 on the eShop.

Damn my propensity for physical software and aversion to digital software!

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
"Title update" and "DLC" doesn't do this justice - this sounds like an entire expansion. And for free! Amazing. I can't wait. This game was such a great experience.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I've been snapping up the Limited Run releases from Best Buy gradually, as I ain't made of money, and I'm used to having at least a few months to do so before some of the more popular titles (Celeste, Bloodstained) start to go out of print, but for Blasphemous it was like four to six weeks and it was gone.

I've considering going via eBay but while copies of the $35 release were going for $50 back in May they're now climbing up to $75, which is a tough swallow for a game that's currently going for a little over $10 on the eShop.

Damn my propensity for physical software and aversion to digital software!
After years of being a physical collector, I became digital on the Switch.

You can buy original/official games cases on Nintendo's store website, and then you can download/print the covers from GameTDB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe2187

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Full spanish dub and the option of zooming in the map is all I needed.

This pleases the penitent one

EdYeFcwXsAIPFVX

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Lol. Bought this game day one on Switch and played about 30 min and said "I want to play more but I should wait for some QoL. And so... today, my patience has been rewarded. :p

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Hmm, I started this game recently, about 3 hours in. I think I should wait until this comes out and start a new game if thats necesary.

Now I need another metroidvania for the meantime, guess I check out Deaths Gambit.

Jan 10, 2019
Great news! Definitely diving in again, despite putting in quite a few hours and getting the platinum on PS4 recently. Absolutely loving the atmosphere in this game!

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! Really enjoyed the game and this is a ton of new content.

Hopefully there is a way to jump in to the new content from an existing completed game without having to go through New Game+.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A small reminder, this studio (Game Kitchen) has made a haunting 8/16bit point'n'click : The Last Door. It's a long and neat patchwork of occult and horror stories from the 18th and 19th century, two seasons of 6 episodes, also available on the three consoles. I have completed a lot of (indie) horror games but this one has done something special on me.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
Can someone explain the "three penitence system"? What is it/whats this mean etc.
It seems at the start of each new game + game you have to pick a handicap that changes how you play the game. It's basically like a new set of rules that affect your gameplay.

There was a fourth locked one so you probably have to stack all three handicaps until you can pick the fourth one

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"coming to consoles and Steam"

What about GOG?

edit: it is coming to GOG as well, just a little later:

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Hope there QoL upgrades here are meaty. I mostly enjoyed my time with the game, loved the world, music, and aesthetics especially, but had a few issues with bugs and some of the game mechanics. I got stuck in walls several times in the Switch version, requiring a checkpoint restart and the guilt-on-spikes bug plagued my game constantly. Some of the animations felt stiff or too long for the Penitent One's attacks, so I also felt like I wasn't really able to take full advantage of his move set in some of the faster-paced boss encounters, instead just opting for more reliable basic attacks.

My biggest gripe that I think they need to change is that the flask's (or whatever this game calls them) healing amount can never be upgraded and doesn't scale. End-game bosses and enemies do attacks that hit for like 2-3 flasks worth of damage, so if you get hit a couple times you're forced to dance around, dodging attacks, while you try to chug 5+ flasks without getting hit again. There is a bead that makes you invulnerable while you heal which helps, but it doesn't change the fact that you need to heal several times to refill your large HP bar. This shit frustrated me to no end at the end of the game, and I basically had to take a git good approach to the final few bosses where I learned to beat them without relying on any healing at all because having to stop and heal caused me more damage than just living with whatever hits I took.

Anywho, gripes aside I'm definitely still looking forward to checking this out. Can't wait to see the new bosses in action; the boss art design in this game is something else.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
This game was a bummer for me. Drop dead gorgeous but never felt very motivated to actually progress. The way the story/lore was dolled out was just uninteresting and unrewarding, playing to see the next pretty thing didn't last long since as soon as I reached a heavy platforming area after the first boss it just wasn't clicking, maybe it was the movement idk. Thought the voice acting/dialogue was bad too.

But a lot of work looks like it's going in to improve stuff looks like so I'll definitely give it another go. Really do want to like it.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
More fast travel might actually make me finish the game. I spent 5 hours and loved the combat and the atmosphere but found navigating the game world really tedious.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019

runs pretty stable no bad frame drops or anything like that.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Great!! I bought it a couple of months ago and didn't get too far and then I focused on FF7 and RE3 so this might be a good chance to go back.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i had an okay time beating this game once on ps4, but the platforming grated on me the further i got into the game, especially since the movement didn't feel like it supported some of the more demanding platforming challenges that mostly resulted in insta-death as you fell into a spike pit. it's been a while since i played it, but i don't remember there being a lot of shortcuts either, so it all compounded into traversal just being a slog.

some of the more involved combat mechanics also felt tacked on. normal enemies don't live very long for you to bother doing combos. bosses are mostly gigantic and don't react to getting hits, and their attack phases generally required you to dodge while getting one or two strikes in between to not get hit, so i stuck to basic attacks for those fights too. maybe i just needed to "git gud", but i also don't have any memories of being stuck on any boss like i did with some of from software's games or hollow knight.

but hey free dlc with some content and qol updates, and i really do like the game's style, so maybe i'll give it another go.