• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Description

LOS ANGELES - NOVEMBER, 2019

Westwood Studios, the company that brought Real-Time to strategy games with Command & Conquer, brings Real-Time to adventure games with the science fiction classic, Blade Runner.

Armed with your investigative skills and the tools of the Blade Runner trade, you'll be immersed in a world that lives and breathes around you with breakthrough lighting and visual effects. Your ability to survive will be put to the test in the richest game environment ever created.

Immerse yourself in the dark, gritty world of Los Angeles 2019, where you become both the hunter and the hunted.

*Groundbreaking Real-Time story structure creates a unique experience every time you play

*Interact with over 70 motion-captured characters, all with Artificial Intelligence (AI) and their own agendas

*Stunning visuals, as well as atmospheric smoke, fog, fire and rain that affect your character in Real-Time

*Top notch Hollywood talent from the original film including Sean Young, James Hong, Joe Turkel, Brian James and William Sanderson

*Rich, ambient, multi-track audio environment creates an immersive gaming experience

*Includes specially recreated cuts from the original Blade Runner soundtrack

*Continually animating, full screen, high resolution cinematics and game play in millions of emulated colors

*Dramatic camera movements - during gameplay - heighten the Blade Runner experience

*Step into the role of a Blade Runner by utilizing the ESPER photo analysis machine, administering the Voigt-Kampff replicant detection test, flying in a police Spinner and analyzing clues with your Knowledge Integration Assistant (KIA)

*Breakthrough Real-Time lighting, such as directional, color, volumetric, attenuated and animating effects

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition is a faithful restoration of the classic adventure game featuring:

*Reconstruction and upressing of original Westwood VQA Videos
*Cinematic Video frame rates updated from 15fps to 60fps
*Modern HD Display
*Enhanced "Knowledge Integration Assistant" (KIA) and clue user interface
*Enhanced Subtitle support
*Modern gamepad support
*SMAA Anti Aliasing
*Anisotropic texture filtering

Xbox
PlayStation
Switch
Steam

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up! Just bought on Xbox with the free $10 they put in my account.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I am very much considering buying this game. I've never played an old school point and click style adventure game. I want to try it out though.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to play, and it's cheap. Bought. Actually it isn't even out on the west coast yet.
Is this game any good?
I've never played it but the main criticism seems to be that it very "of its time" for adventure games i.e. some annoying pixel hunting and "try everything until something works" guesswork game design.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game any good?

I haven't played it since it came out, but I loved it enough back then to do the whole thing in one night. Might be nostalgia, but I remember being engrossed by it from the start. I can't argue with giving it another shot at that price.

Last edited:

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
I played this last year and thought it held up really well. There's a lot of ways the story can go and how things can play out so it has replay value.

Really ambitious title for it's time.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
After hearing about how there have been difficulties porting this over after the initial announcement I was afraid it would get canned. So glad it made it. And wow, what a price.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Might eventually pick this up for the novelty, but I still have the GOG version that I haven't yet finished!

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game any good?

Note: I am considerably biased given that Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but also keep in mind that I'm typically not a fan of adventure games

One of the best adventure games of all time and easily one of the best games based on a movie license. With that said, the visuals were, last I checked very dated, so I don't know how much this enhanced edition addresses that. I would recommend looking at a few screenshots or gameplay videos before making the plunge because it may be off-putting today.

From the quick look I had, it seems like they did more than the bare-minimum, so I think it should still be an enjoyable experience.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Weird - it's up on PSN in NA but not on steam (MST). Maybe at midnight [edit: 😐]

For those who haven't played it, basically this is a point and click adventure game in the vein of the classic sierra games. It just heaps several great innovations onto that framework notably with narrative forks. Atmosphere and characters are also great. It also is just notorious for having been lost to time for many years, and then resurrected.

This isn't a full remake or anything either - like most nightdive projects, they've upgraded it while preserving the original game for the most part.

Last edited:

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I got this on disc some 20 years ago but couldn't get into it at all. Played it for an hour and had zero motivation to continue. I wonder if I would feel differently today.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this game holds up. At the time it was considered groundbreaking for randomizing parts of the adventure game. Like the most obvious, which characters are replicants, is randomized. And time passes in real time. A bit like The Last Express.

The *other* parts of this game that were revolutionary was like "it uses 3D polygons, WOW!" so that doesn't seem so groundbreaking in 2022 though.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Amazing, had no idea this was even in development. I replayed it a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it was still visually marvelous even then, so this should be a treat.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Played and completed this at launch, curious to see the differences.

The original voxels have a charm, but the presentation hasn't aged well

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
I've never played it but the main criticism seems to be that it very "of its time" for adventure games i.e. some annoying pixel hunting and "try everything until something works" guesswork game design.

That's not really accurate. There are no puzzles besides a dumb one with a rat near the end. You just investigate and you are welcome to fuck it up without detailing the story. The game is really one of a kind, there's no comparing it to anything else.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really accurate. There are no puzzles besides a dumb one with a rat near the end. You just investigate and you are welcome to fuck it up without detailing the story. The game is really one of a kind, there's no comparing it to anything else.
that's reassuring then, thanks.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the photo scanning feature and searching for clues. Very atmospheric game, I still have it on disc somewhere.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I can't praise this game highly enough. It's a short game on the whole but it's so replayable and a lot of fun with all the different interactions you can have. Westwood Studios nailed Blade Runner and Nightdive have done an amazing job bringing this back to new systems.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I can't praise this game highly enough. It's a short game on the whole but it's so replayable and a lot of fun with all the different interactions you can have. Westwood Studios nailed Blade Runner and Nightdive have done an amazing job bringing this back to new systems.
Short is good for me. Waiting for impressions on Switch, should look great on the OLED.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I was a huge Westwood stan back in the day (RIP), but somehow never picked this up. Definitely getting it

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful game, and a great addition to the Blade Runner world. It's very hard to know what to do from time to time (though apparently they have improved that in this release!), but it's super fun to go through, even multiple times as some stuff is randomized.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Blade Runner movies a lot, and $10 isn't a huge investment for what seems like a fairly big upgrade. Haven't played a ton of old school PC games, but I think I'll give this a shot.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Also MauroNL maybe you can add this to the OP, I think its the launch trailer? Identical to the one on the Steam page:

Has a nice blend of cinematics and in-game shots that show off the enhanced visuals.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea there was a new version of this. I kind of bought the GOG version out of obligation, and I'm not sure if I'll ever play it again, but it's nice that the game has a chance to shine now.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the 60fps cinematics to be honest...

Still gonna grab this as soon as it's on Steam EU though!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How's this for someone who enjoys point and clicks, but doesn't care at all for Blade Runner?
Like I think I watched bits of the film years and years ago, but I remember nothing about it other than I think it had Harrison Ford in.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's this for someone who enjoys point and clicks, but doesn't care at all for Blade Runner?
Like I think I watched bits of the film years and years ago, but I remember nothing about it other than I think it had Harrison Ford in.
It's interesting because of how it's open ended in structure and progression of the investigation (also the randomness of the identity of some characters), but it's definitely a love letter to Blade RUnner first and foremost.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting because of how it's open ended in structure and progression of the investigation (also the randomness of the identity of some characters), but it's definitely a love letter to Blade RUnner first and foremost.
Ah, that sounds kinda interesting. I might put it on my Microsoft reward points list then lol.