Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this movie and holy fuck it's one of the most disappointing & shallow MCU flick since Iron Man 2 Thor 2.
It absolutely in my opinion doesnt deserve more than %50 RT.
Fight scenes cut too much like a TAKEN movie , any dramatically emotional moment doesnt have breathing room because they just put a joke.
And total character of TASKMASKTER is total joke.

I would recommend to see on Disney plus or netflix
What's the after credit scene and where did you see it?

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Oh, my bad. I meant it should've been him off the edge of that cliff in Vormir.
In the early drafts of the script, it was supposed to be Hawkeye, and the reasoning for why they changed it has me convinced that they never learned about Women in Refrigerators syndrome.

At least it looks like a $100 million opening weekend is in play and my worries about the hybrid release appear to be unfounded.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen it, but from what I've heard it's

Julia Louis-Dreyfus' character recruiting Florence Pugh for whatever thing Marvel is working on with her, so basically the same thing as her scene in Falcon & the Winter Soldier.

That's totally setting up the "morally ambiguous" Avengers., isn't it? 😅

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that my first exposure to Taskmaster sounds like it'll be pretty shallow. Everyone was so hyped when the character was revealed. Guess I'll have to break out the comics

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My wife was really excited to tell me about Taskmaster tonight. We haven't seen it, but she read about how he can "learn and react immediately".

Sounds like he's a bit of a bummer in this one, but we'll still check it out.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It's happening folks.

16d1f8ef895435f8da6a3d82a9115770e1ce82ba.gifv

except for Uncle Ben.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Chaw's review is up:

I have no idea what's going on in Black Widow, and I think that once you get bucked off this horse, there's no getting back on. So here's Cate Shortland's Black Widow, the 24th MCU flick, if only the second centred around a female protagonist--one we know has sacrificed herself for the sake of the least interesting/worthy of her male counterparts, meaning this one takes place in either the past or an alternate timeline or something. It doesn't matter. In the comic-book world, there are new #1s every few cycles that are reboots or speculative storylines or something. It's how they get you to keep buying them. What matters is, the more you humanize this character you've already made abundantly clear you don't really care about, the worse her already-loathsome sacrifice feels.

www.filmfreakcentral.net

Black Widow (2021)

**½/**** starring Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, Rachel Weisz screenplay by Eric Pearson directed by Cate Shortland by Walter Chaw You know it's gritty because of the gritty cover song interrupting the bucolic prologue--Think Up Anger ft. Malia J's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...
Given how bad and incorrect his Tomorrow War review was (and that one should've been an easy lay-up considering it's not a good movie), not really thinking this reviewer is a good one to really take seriously.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's happening folks.

I'm not sure why, if Florence Pugh survives to continue on the "Black widow" name like We/I'm expecting, they'll have an actress who can do the role more justice for future projects than Johansson has done over the past decade. Now obviously not getting a BW film until now is a shame, and it shouldn't have taken this long, but there's not really much to be gained by plucking another version of Johansson from an alternate timeline or whatever, she never seemed to bring that much to the role. Florence meanwhile really on a good roll, albeit I'm personally basing that only on Midsommar.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
The quote btw

"Marvel is always about new beginnings and Scarlett Johansson is such an amazing partner for us. She was a producer on this film. She was the one that brought us our amazing director, Cate Shortland, and I am excited to continue working with her in any way possible if we're so lucky."

None of that suggests a return as Black Widow to me, more that they would love to work together again in some capacity.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
I get the feeling that SJ is pretty much done with playing the character, not much to do, and she seems to me like she's more interested in "art" movies than big action stuff.

But who knows, maybe if this movie does well and they manage to find stuff for her to do that's interesting, they'll be able to convince her to once again do all the dieting and working out that these MCU roles require from almost everyone.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure why, if Florence Pugh survives to continue on the "Black widow" name like We/I'm expecting, they'll have an actress who can do the role more justice for future projects than Johansson has done over the past decade. Now obviously not getting a BW film until now is a shame, and it shouldn't have taken this long, but there's not really much to be gained by plucking another version of Johansson from an alternate timeline or whatever, she never seemed to bring that much to the role. Florence meanwhile really on a good roll, albeit I'm personally basing that only on Midsommar.
I can't fault Johansson so much. Much of what she was given for material was sexist, tropey bullshit as Black Widow until Endgame, really.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Any future Black Widow movie could feature Scarlett in flashbacks, dream sequences, hallucinations, etc. Plus, who knows, maybe she'd direct one herself.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't fault Johansson so much. Much of what she was given for material was sexist, tropey bullshit as Black Widow until Endgame, really.

I can certainly agree that it wasn't entirely her fault, but I still don't know that it was the right kind of role for her. It doesn't help my opinion of her acting that the only other film I've seen her in the past decade was ghost in the shell, which wasn't great or a role she should have taken either. I should probably watch jojo rabbit at some point...

At least with this phase, BW, the Eternals and The Marvels, the MCU is turning things around on films lead by actresses. Potentially four if Nakia, Shuri or Okoye are the new lead for Black Panther 2.

Any future Black Widow movie could feature Scarlett in flashbacks, dream sequences, hallucinations, etc. Plus, who knows, maybe she'd direct one herself.

Does she have ambitions to be a director?

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
He's a good writer, but not someone you look to for these movies.

I disagree, but that's ok. I always find his reviews insightful, even though they may not line up with my opinion. Real curious how Shang-Chi will end up. His perspective as an Asian American will shape it differently than most critics, I'm sure.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, but that's ok. I always find his reviews insightful, even thiouReal curious how Shang-Chi will end up. His perspective as an Asian American will shape it differently than most critics, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, in that regard. But if a fan is simply looking for confirmation bias, don't read Chaw.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, in that regard. But if a fan is simply looking for confirmation bias, don't read Chaw.

Yeah, you're probably leave upset. Unless you're reading one if his Raimi Spider-Man reviews, or The Dark Knight, or Superman Returns. Something he likes. I think First Avenger is his highest rated Marvel movie at 3.5 stars, which is something I can definitely get behind. Love that movie.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wild that this will be the first movie I watch "for pleasure" at a cinema since the pandemic started. Have only attended press screening for the past year+ so I'm looking forward to it, despite not being suuuuper impressed with what I've seen so far.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
It's not about confirmation bias in this case, though, it's literally seeing things that weren't there / bringing his own baggage to Tomorrow War. He flat out misinterpreted the movie and called out things were not part of the film / unrelated to it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Chaw's review is up:

I have no idea what's going on in Black Widow, and I think that once you get bucked off this horse, there's no getting back on. So here's Cate Shortland's Black Widow, the 24th MCU flick, if only the second centred around a female protagonist--one we know has sacrificed herself for the sake of the least interesting/worthy of her male counterparts, meaning this one takes place in either the past or an alternate timeline or something. It doesn't matter. In the comic-book world, there are new #1s every few cycles that are reboots or speculative storylines or something. It's how they get you to keep buying them. What matters is, the more you humanize this character you've already made abundantly clear you don't really care about, the worse her already-loathsome sacrifice feels.

www.filmfreakcentral.net

Black Widow (2021)

**½/**** starring Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, Rachel Weisz screenplay by Eric Pearson directed by Cate Shortland by Walter Chaw You know it's gritty because of the gritty cover song interrupting the bucolic prologue--Think Up Anger ft. Malia J's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...
Nothing worse then someone trying to be too cool for school

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Imagine if SHIELD continued to dabble with time travelling and replaced Natasha with an LMD and the LMD doesn't even know.
I was thinking of…
Nat is talking to Nebula, Nebula mentions that Thanos and Gamora went to Vormir to get the Soul Stone, and Gamora didn't return. Nat connects the dots, and when the time heist happens, Nat replaces herself with a LMD, doesn't tell anyone, manipulates things so that the LMD and Hawkeye go to Vormir, and she lays low until everything's over.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
crap I missed today's showing. Got my ticket for Wednesday

First movie gonna watch since Rise of Skywalker

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Nothing worse then someone trying to be too cool for school
Sounds like he's bringing up a valid point though? They treated her character like dirt for most of her run (including her shitty ending) and now are retroactively trying to make up for it, making it even more apparent they treated her like dirt?

What exactly is the problem here?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like he's bringing up a valid point though? They treated her character like dirt for most of her run (including her shitty ending) and now are retroactively trying to make up for it, making it even more apparent they treated her like dirt?

What exactly is the problem here?
Even if you buy the premise that Black Widow is a poor character treated poorly in all her appearances (and I don't) this logic of "they did wrong by her, and by trying to do right they only highlight they did wrong by her" means that no poorly handled character can ever be turned around. That's nonsense for a lot of reasons, one of which is the implication that they shouldn't give her a solo movie at all, which strikes me as the worst alternative? "We realize we didn't capitalize on Black Widow as much as we should have, so we will not make a Black Widow movie in order not to draw attention to that."

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Does anyone know of the spoilers from End Game are actually shown or referenced in the film itself? They were in the trailer but not sure if they are in the thing itself.

Been running my Pops through all of them the past few months and currently up to Thor: Ragnarok but wouldn't mind catching Black Widow while it's out on the larger screens, obviously keen to not have what happens to her spoiled since we're so close though.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of the spoilers from End Game are actually shown or referenced in the film itself? They were in the trailer but not sure if they are in the thing itself.

Been running my Pops through all of them the past few months and currently up to Thor: Ragnarok but wouldn't mind catching Black Widow while it's out on the larger screens, obviously keen to not have what happens to her spoiled since we're so close though.

Without having seen the movie, that sounds like a poor plan to me.

They will almost certainly reference Endgame in some way. It's just the "release or chronological order" debate; if it's your first time, you always go release order, because that's the way the story is meant to be digested. Films like Black Widow tend to operate using a certain amount of dramatic irony, given most audiences know the character's endpoint.

haha i was totally down to see in theatres but now i'm kind of contemplating just getting it on D+

didn't realize it has same day release

Yeah, I'm curious what the breakdown will be like. I'm double dipping, but that's mostly just because I don't wanna wait till after midnight to watch at home.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Without having seen the movie, that sounds like a poor plan to me.

They will almost certainly reference Endgame in some way. It's just the "release or chronological order" debate; if it's your first time, you always go release order, because that's the way the story is meant to be digested. Films like Black Widow tend to operate using a certain amount of dramatic irony, given most audiences know the character's endpoint.
That was pretty much my thoughts, was why I thought I'd ask just in case someone had seen it and could say for certain. If not then we'll definitely be finishing the final few before heading into Black Widow 👍

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Edit: removed quote

Wow so we're just dropping untagged spoilers in the review thread? Neat lmfao

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It has been so long that it doesn't even feel that the movie is coming out in 3 days.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Seeing this Friday with a bucketful of extra butter fuckin Alamo Drafthouse popcorn

I wanna be back in the motherfuckin theater, whether they assassinate Tasky's character or not