• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Try snd_rebuildaudiocache on the console, you maybe will have to to this for every map.

I tried and got this

Unknown command: snd_rebuildaudiocache

Edit:

Huh sound now working when I plug in my bluetooth headset. But nothing through my monitor. This is the only game this has ever had this problem.

Last edited:

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I tried and got this

Unknown command: snd_rebuildaudiocache

Edit:

Huh sound now working when I plug in my bluetooth headset. But nothing through my monitor. This is the only game this has ever had this problem.

If you have both your sound devices installed at the same time, the game is probably selecting the other one, try checking if your monitor is the default sound device.

Here are all the snd cvars I could find for Black Mesa, try checking the defaults.

Code:
snd_foliage_db_loss                      : 4        : , "cheat"        :
snd_gain                                 : 1        : , "cheat"        :
snd_gain_max                             : 1        : , "cheat"        :
snd_gain_min                             : 0        : , "cheat"        :
snd_refdb                                : 60       : , "cheat"        :
snd_refdist                              : 36       : , "cheat"        :
snd_restart                              : cmd      :                  : Restart sound system.
snd_vox_captiontrace                     : 0        :                  : Shows sentence name for sentences which are set not to show captions.
snd_vox_globaltimeout                    : 300      :                  :
snd_vox_sectimetout                      : 300      :                  :
snd_vox_seqtimetout                      : 300      :                  :

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
There is no distance between us. No false veils of time or space may intervene.

We see you still in Black Mesa. Clearly we see you in the Nihilanth's chamber. We bear witness to the bright eternity of the Nihilanth's demise. You leap, you fall, we see you flash between the barriers.

For a brief time you joined us. You are one. Between the worlds. Communion of the vortessence. And that other: a deeper mystery. No deeper than the void itself.

We cannot forget those whose cords you cut. Forgiveness is not ours to bestow.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Fired up Half Life 2 for the first time in a while as prep for this and boy, that game just *sings* on modern hardware. Nice to see my aging rig cruise through a game again.

hmm... just checked again and it's still not released.

Yeah, seems like it'll be a pretty late release this evening.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it's finally out something's happening! Update just came in "10 minutes ago"...Is it the actual release?

Last edited:

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Still nothing as far as I can tell.

Update: It's most likely going to miss the 5th completely.

[BMS] stormseeker: No, we have a game breaking reproduceable crash that will break peoples games if we upload right at the moment, and are currently tracking it down. I've been up for 27hrs so far sorting things for the release today. I'm not based in Seattle either. We are aware of these threads, but not alot we can do to keep answering when we have things to fix. It's currently 7am here, we've been at this since 7pm yesterday testing the build. It is as frustrating for us as for you. Thanks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this run well on integrated graphics (620hd)?
I mean, I t should, right? The Source engine is pretty old.

Live

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Guys...GUYS!

The update is now LIVE!
unknown.png

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like they did NOT release the final 1.0 update yet, they are still working on fixing a gamebreaking MP bug. OP, maybe include some information on that, as I see many people playing a non-final version thinking this is it, after all this media outlet content push lately. Savegames are apparently not compatible between versions. Game will go out of early access once this MP bug is fixed/
PR is not the developers strongsuit it seems :D

Last edited:

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Played the first free release of Black Mesa. AI soldiers were soo hard. They would instantly shoot you when you peeked behind a corner with deadly accuracy. Is this still the case? It was not super fun experience but nostalgia made me finish it. Don't know if I can do it again.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
If you have both your sound devices installed at the same time, the game is probably selecting the other one, try checking if your monitor is the default sound device.

Here are all the snd cvars I could find for Black Mesa, try checking the defaults.

Code:
snd_foliage_db_loss                      : 4        : , "cheat"        :
snd_gain                                 : 1        : , "cheat"        :
snd_gain_max                             : 1        : , "cheat"        :
snd_gain_min                             : 0        : , "cheat"        :
snd_refdb                                : 60       : , "cheat"        :
snd_refdist                              : 36       : , "cheat"        :
snd_restart                              : cmd      :                  : Restart sound system.
snd_vox_captiontrace                     : 0        :                  : Shows sentence name for sentences which are set not to show captions.
snd_vox_globaltimeout                    : 300      :                  :
snd_vox_sectimetout                      : 300      :                  :
snd_vox_seqtimetout                      : 300      :                  :

Thanks for the help, I just can't seem to figure it out. I'll just play with headphones on.

I started Xen yesterday ,downloading 1.0 now so I really hope I don't get a "incompatible save" notice again..

Edit: Nope saves don't work. So starting again..

I have same black flickering on the main screen, UI message bugs, and if you try and select an old unsupported save you have to quit the entire game as going back doesn't work.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Does this run better than when it first came out on steam? I can remember my 980 struggling
Yes. Considerable optimizations were implemented around the lighting system and whatnot. Xen also had some performance issues when it first debuted but they seem to be ironed out...at least from what I have played.
Played the first free release of Black Mesa. AI soldiers were soo hard. They would instantly shoot you when you peeked behind a corner with deadly accuracy. Is this still the case? It was not super fun experience but nostalgia made me finish it. Don't know if I can do it again.
I started a fresh new file and I can already tell some maps might've gotten yet another pass at layout/optimization/item and balance to make it not-so-frustrating as it was back in 2015. The "free mod" version almost feels unbalanced and unpolished balance-wise by comparison.
It looks like they did NOT release the final 1.0 update yet, they are still working on fixing a gamebreaking MP bug. OP, maybe include some information on that, as I see many people playing a non-final version thinking this is it, after all this media outlet content push lately. Savegames are apparently not compatible between versions. Game will go out of early access once this MP bug is fixed/
PR is not the developers strongsuit it seems :D
If MP is the only issue, then single-player campaign-wise, it's already v1.0 as it has the new menu.

I'd give these guys some slack. It's only been like, what, 15 years? ;)

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Downloading it now. I never played the original Half Life but played the mod when it was released 8 years ago, though I stopped somewhere on the outdoor levels where you fight a chopper.

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
If MP is the only issue, then single-player campaign-wise, it's already v1.0 as it has the new menu.

I'd give these guys some slack. It's only been like, what, 15 years? ;)
Big time!
It's crazy how some people are complaining in the steam discussion forum, disrespectful and unnecessary. By now the devs posted some updates in the discussions, but I still think they could manage expectations a bit better by communicating more clearly via their official channels ;P

Essentially out of Early Access

miju

Jun 8, 2018
Developer response on steam forum:
1.0 is indeed live, but we have not taken the game out of Early Access yet. During our rigorous testing in the 12 hour meeting last night (during which we pushed 4 full builds and tested the entire game each time!), we found a crash in MP that kills the server and is 100% reproducible.

We are going to fix that and push out a tiny patch with that fix. Then we will take the game out of Early Access.

Apart from this MP fix, 1.0 is out and released on the main branch.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
According to the Digital Foundary video they've made the AI less deadly without making them dumb.

Poison Door

Dec 20, 2018
I've made it to the Lambda Core chapter. Game just keeps on crashing :(
I'm at the reactor and as soon as the Vortigaunt use their attack or teleport in it seems to crash, not every time though but due to the amount of Vortigaunts.. well.

Code:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/$USER/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
/mnt/Steam-Games/Steam/steamapps/common/Black Mesa/bms.sh: line 74: 248570 Segmentation fault      ${GAME_DEBUGGER} "${GAMEROOT}"/${GAMEEXE} "$@"

Anyone else experiencing this? (Ryzen 7 2700x, RX 5700, 16GB RAM, GNU/Linux - Solus).
Still, the game is a blast. Will probably (if these crashes stop) be my preferred way of playing HL1 from now on!

EDIT: Reading the thread over at the steam forums, seems like a lot of people are having issues with the Lamda Core chapter.
EDIT 2: Well, I guess I just have to wait for the official release. What a ride its been. Somehow I've kept myself away from it yet curious enough and just waiting patiently, a decade and a half later we're so close!

Last edited:

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Is this now finished and a full game, it appears to be from the reviews but steam store page under development. Im a bit confused :s

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this years ago (and messed a bit with the free mod even earlier) but never played more than a few minutes. Going all in now, and oh my, this is stupidly great.

They just nailed the atmosphere I remember from playing the original back in the day. And for now, all the changes I've noticed are for the better.

Poison Door

Dec 20, 2018
I just have to chime in on how AWESOME the soundtrack is! Coming from me, that is VERY high praise as I absolutely love Kelley Baileys work on the original games. Black Mesa definitely captures the same tone as HL2, yet keeping it fresh and it never (well, I haven't made it to Xen yet...) felt out of place. All I can say is that I'll definitely be listening to the OST over and over again. I usually play the games (in order) once every 3 years or so, but the OST is played at least once a month so I'm very happy to have discovered more content for that playlist! Great work Joel Nielsen!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
As a left-handed mouse user, I can't seem to map move backward to the ; key (I use PL;' instead of WASD), and then when I start paying, Gordon just walks backwards without me pressing anything. Highly annoyed with this. LOL Gonna try it later, see if there is some conflicting keybind I'm not seeing (and I looked... I don't see anything).

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Have had a ton of fun with this and have somehow ended up playing for over 7 hours today (just finished off Surface Tension which remains a huge chapter)....despite being a huge Half Life fan & owning it for a while I committed to playing this on 'release' once it was content complete so this is my first time through.

It is pretty fucking great, I probably haven't enjoyed a single player FPS this much since Doom 2016, it feels really good to play, looks great & the enemy AI is fun. Thoroughly recommended, their version of Black Mesa is just superb in how it has been expanded while still remaining recognisable.

The FPS platforming remains awkward and the worst part of the game...I am interested in seeing what they have done with Xen.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I put about 3 hours into this.

It's a great effort by the team as far as environment and atmosphere goes.

However, the combat is pretty terrible. Enemy animations seem jumpy, they move around erratically. The combat setups themselves feel badly designed. Lots of long corridors with no cover opportunities where I basically am forced to suck down damage to shoot enemies that are like 5 pixels high on my screen.

I thought maybe I was just remembering the original game through rose colored glasses, so I went back and played the original for a few hours just now. Every one of my complaints above were addressed. The enemies moved around much better, all the combat setups were challenging but well laid out.

There is a reason that Half Life is one of the greatest games ever made... it's because they nailed every aspect of it including combat. You would have to be extremely talented to recreate something that brilliantly designed when doing a remake. It's understandable that it just doesn't work that well.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
As a left-handed mouse user, I can't seem to map move backward to the ; key (I use PL;' instead of WASD), and then when I start paying, Gordon just walks backwards without me pressing anything. Highly annoyed with this. LOL Gonna try it later, see if there is some conflicting keybind I'm not seeing (and I looked... I don't see anything).
I use the same keys in most games and tried the same in Black Mesa. I couldn't get it to work.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Performance is fantastic and i love how they skipped a lot of the filler from the old game and we get to go straight to the fun stuff. Had 1 crash and it's that weird Source engine sound looping crash that always happened with Valve games. Wonder why does that happen?

vikungfu

Oct 27, 2017
Venice, CA
I use the same keys in most games and tried the same in Black Mesa. I couldn't get it to work.
Lefty here too, I use Home/Del/End/PgDn as my WASD. Whenever a game gives me trouble, which is often, I just remap the keys using the Razer software. If you don't have a Razer keyboard I'm sure there's some other programs that do the same? I end up having different profiles for different games and can just switch using the function key.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall the soldiers being so hard when they first appeared. 4 vs me is just not working out in my favor

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall the soldiers being so hard when they first appeared. 4 vs me is just not working out in my favor
Not sure if 1.0 changed this but soldiers were way overtuned in the betas. They're either too accurate or they do too much damage. Both, probably.

You get used to it but I kinda wish they were toned down. Most of the other enemies are OK.