• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have a few vacation rentals in uppity high end condo communities where there's a fair amount of retirees. The HOA says I can't rent it to short term rentals and they also do daily patrols and rather than send you notices they will confront you. The townhouse building mine is in had a problem with a lot of pigeons roosting and I spent a week cleaning the roof, stringing wire on all the Eve's and suspending thin black netting over everything which actually worked. A few days later I got a call from a concerned HOA resident that they could just barely see the netting from their second story balcony. Laughed and told the lady to fuck off..

A couple months later one of my guests was at the pool (she was black) and was approached by a different HOA lady asking if she lived there. The guest didn't know short term rentals weren't allowed and said she was simply an Airbnb resident. The HOA lady flipped her shit and told her to give her the address of my townhouse which the guest refused. She told her she would just sit there and wait, all day if needed, until she left the pool and follow her to the townhouse. The guest ignored her and went about her afternoon by the pool.
The lady waited for a while and then became impatient and called the police, who eventually came but didn't even talk to the guest. I'm guessing she made some shit up to the dispatcher and when the cops arrived they told her to fuck off.

Well somehow she eventually figured out my townhouse was the one and gave me a call, lecturing me on how I was breaking all the rules and started throwing out bullshit that I could have my townhouse taken away from me and some other crap that she was making up on the fly. She also told me I wasn't good enough for this community and if I can't afford to live here then to get rid of it..
Eventually I got upset and told her "I've been a good community member. My townhouse is probably the nicest one here and I single handedly solved the pigeon problem. I'm not going to stop renting this as a vacation rental, period. I paid cash for my unit, so if you somehow force me to, Ill drop the rent so fucking low or apply for section 8 and make my unit available to low income renters and college kids. So either leave me be or enjoy your worst nightmare". Wasn't those exact words but something along those lines

The idea that a low income minority possibly moving in was enough to never hear from her again. Also I currently have a 6 month renter to carry me through the downturn and the normal low season for AZ tourism, who's the absolute best tenant I've ever had. I had to warn her upfront about the HOA because she's a racist PoS but my tenant just laughed and actually was excited at the prospect of fucking with this Karen. She promised to video tape any encounter with the lady and I imagine her going out of her way doing things that would catch the attention of the HOA lady.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Why can't these nosy fuckers just mind their own business?

I think the average HOA would wither and vanish creating a micro black hole on the spot if they were forced to mind their own business. These things feel like they exist SOLELY to the exact opposite of minding their own business.

HOAs were created solely to push minorities out of neighborhoods. 100% of HOA presidents are like this, who the fuck else would care what your lawn looks like? They need to be abolished.

That may be the vibe that makes me hate them. You can feel it a mile away. It didn't take us long to decide we wouldnt have anything to do with buying a home that's a part of an HOA. They were all universally suspect as hell.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
One more on the pile from this first half of the year where society is displaying how being black in itself for too many Americans is criminal in itself. If he had the code, he either had a delivery or had family there or a romantic partner there or was buying a house there or any other number of reasons but for this white man, the only reason a black person would be in eyesight of him would be to kill, steal or rape. In the eyes of bigots we are always guilty until proven innocent and (like that early moment in Get Out) people like this will only take the word of other white people to vet us as "tolerable" and sometimes even that much isn't enough. If the police arrived and this turned into a fatal shooting, I guarantee we'd hear the same shit we've heard from the killers in the Ahmaud Arbery case that this dude felt justified in calling the police and the police felt justified brutalizing him because he was "suspicious" and that he'd be alive if he "complied" because we're expected and ordered under penalty of death to dance and roll over for random white people in the manner they deem satisfactory to be considered humans with equal rights for just a limited amount of time.

Last edited:

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I really should get an app to let me start streaming like this for when I am inevitably in a situation like this or worse.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I really should get an app to let me start streaming like this for when I am inevitably in a situation like this or worse.

Yeah I've got a few dashcams to choose from already in my personal Amazon wishlist for when I have a bit of money to spend on one of them. Especially currently when bigots are loosing their minds more than usual from being forced outside their blissful comfort zone for something as serious and all-encompassing as this pandemic. I don't want some bigoted anti-lockdown fuck(s) taking zero precautions to call the police on me being suspicious for wearing my mask in public. Or maybe even singling me out for my "black suspiciousness" and "handling me" themselves like in the Arbery case.

Haven't used it myself but a long while ago (I actually think it was at or around the Ferguson protests), I found out about an app called Solomon's Shield that was made singularly for the purpose of recording and streaming video of potentially high stakes encounters you may have with the police. I imagine it's good for encounters like this too.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Isn't that technically kidnapping?
Can they charge this shithead with false imprisonment?

Chances are the police would call it a civil matter which drops it on the victim to sue.

That said, the driver probably has a decent shot at getting a settlement from the HOA because dickhead claimed to be acting on behalf of the HOA.

HOAs are literally corporate entities in many (if not all) states, and a corporate officer claiming to act on behalf of a corporation, especially the president, can easily be said to be speaking for the corporation.

It would make me very happy to see a follow-up news report saying that Miller has filed a lawsuit.

Dude needs to get PAID!

Did the video just quickly gloss over the fact that his wife and kids died in the last month, or did I misunderstand that? Holy shit if I'm not mistaken, though...

Yes. Miller recently lost family so racist dude was just another piece of crap to deal with.

Give people any power and shit like this happens. I don't mess with HOAs or Gated Communities unless I'm on vacation and have no choice.
HOAs were created solely to push minorities out of neighborhoods. 100% of HOA presidents are like this, who the fuck else would care what your lawn looks like? They need to be abolished.

HOAs can be bad for homes, but they're a necessity in condo and townhome complexes.

They're the ones that maintain the building and common areas, deal with taxes, deal with city government, and generally make sure you don't have to deal with dipshits being self-entitled jerks.

Renting in a condo building vs an apartment building (in SF at least) can be a plus because management/HOA doesn't see renters as a paycheck. They're all residents. And HOA fees are getting paid, no matter what.

This also means that they're not afraid to actually enforce rules fairly. Not having to worry about Airbnb profiteers is the biggest benefit hands down.

Some of my friends live in other buildings that don't care which means having to deal with a revolving door of visitors who don't really give a crap about neighbors. Here management is more than willing to enforce and fine the Airbnb jerks. There were a few who tried it and they got smacked down hard.

Maybe our building is lucky in that we have a low touch HOA and a solid management team, but when you share walls with others I couldn't imagine doing it some other way. Apartment companies are bad enough about caring (oh, your neighbor is a chain smoker in a non smoking building, too bad so sad), a condo building w/o an HOA would be anarchy.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
This reminds me of the guy at the gated community pool harassing's the black family and insisting they show him their key card that let them in the pool. Though the cops got involved there.

My mom looks white, despite being fully hispanic, and she's seen white people tell other hispanic people to "speak english" in stores before, which causes my mom to start speaking spanish loudly in response. It makes white people's minds explode, like spanish is a virus that's spreading lmao.
Fiancée is half Mexican but looks white. Patrons at the library she used to work at would say racist shit about Mexicans to her periodically.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Not that this makes it right, I have a white friend who delivers food for a few of those delivery apps, and she got similar treatment for being in a gated community of condos. The customer left the code in the notes for easy delivery but also said to leave it in the lobby. So she didnt even know which condo the person lived or their full name. She was blocked in by a resident who didnt recognize her old car. The resident wasnt as hostile but refused to move out of the exit. She called the police and they fixed the situation but man do people suck

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Damn son use some common sense. The slightest touch of melanin sets these fucks off.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I hope to god the customer/person getting the delivery told Stewart to go fuck himself, I sure would have

Oct 30, 2017
Service providers/suppliers should just refuse to deliver into gated communities like this. Make it clear contractually at purchase that because of the actions of the HoA deliveries will be dropped at the gate and it's your problem to get them the final leg.

Watch as the fireworks fly then.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Why do gated communities and homeowners associations even exist in the US? Is it simply racism?

They literally gate themselves off into these communities avoid being around certain other types of people. The racism comes from the assumption that a PoC couldn't possibly afford to live here and therefore is suspect by default. Either they're responsible for a past crime committed in the area or they're preparing to commit a crime. Thinking back on it, during our route those were the scariest types of neighborhoods to be in and we wanted to be in and out with our deliveries before someone felt the need to hassle us on the job.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why do gated communities and homeowners associations even exist in the US? Is it simply racism?
Yes the origins of organizations such as these is directly tied to racism. In fact, the entire movement of leaving cities and moving to suburbs is racist in origin too. Started in the 50s and 60s. Ironically which was right around the same time the modern Civil Rights movement started picking up steam. And at the time it was even easier as black Americans were largely locked out of mortgages and home buying in general.

There is a massive wealth advantage white people have in simply being able to block black Americans from owning homes for most of American history.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My mom looks white, despite being fully hispanic, and she's seen white people tell other hispanic people to "speak english" in stores before, which causes my mom to start speaking spanish loudly in response. It makes white people's minds explode, like spanish is a virus that's spreading lmao.
I crashed in an american expat meeting with a friend and since I dont have a strong accent they started talking shit about south americans...while in Argentina, but thats ex-pats for you.

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to reach through my screen and beat the shit out of that fucking white trash motherfucker when he came up and asked if the delivery driver was in the right place or if he'd taken a wrong turn.

"What are ya doin' round these parts, boy"... fucking pieces of shit I wish the worst on them.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Stewart is also is the owner of Raven Resources, an oil and gas company based in Oklahoma City.