• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HuffPo has reported on a recent Dazed magazine interview with Billie Eilish where she opens up on her struggles with her body image after people body shamed her on Instagram for wearing a bikini:

m.huffpost.com

Billie Eilish Reacts To Being Body-Shamed Over Bikini Pic: 'I Can't Win'

The 18-year-old singer is hitting back at trolls who criticize what she chooses to wear.

Billie Eilish is a multiplatinum, Grammy-winning teen musical sensation, but, of course, all anyone can talk about is what she's wearing.

The 18-year-old, who prefers to sport baggy clothes that cover up her body, has faced public scrutiny over her signature sense of style ever since she popped up on the music scene.

But whenever she wears something out of character ― say, for example, a totally normal bathing suit ― the trolls come knocking on her virtual door with predictably misogynistic vitriol.

Eilish told Dazed magazine this week that she is still being slut-shamed for posting a photo of herself in a bikini, leaving her feeling like she "can't win" in in the public eye.

"'I saw comments like, 'How dare she talk about not wanting to be sexualized and wear this?!'" she told the outlet about the backlash. "It was trending. There were comments like, 'I don't like her anymore because as soon as she turns 18 she's a whore.' Like, dude. I can't win. I cannot win."

The post from the "Bad Guy" singer's trip to Kaua'i, Hawaii, in January is completely innocuous. She's just showing a bit more skin that usual.

The negative comments and her own struggle with insecurities issues led Eilish to fixate on her self-image.

"There was a point last year where I was naked and I didn't recognize my body 'cause I hadn't seen it in a while," she said. "I would see it sometimes and be like, 'Whose body is that?'"

"It's not that I like [my body] now," she added. "I just think I'm a bit more OK with it."

Eilish has been candid about the sometimes "toxic relationship" she has with her body, saying she has experienced periods of body dysmorphia, depression and self-harm over the years.

She has naturally gravitated toward baggier clothes, which Eilish said has introduced problems as well.

"If I wore a dress to something, I would be hated for it," she told Dazed. "People would be like, 'You've changed, how dare you do what you've always rebelled against?' I'm like, 'I'm not rebelling against anything, really.' I can't stress it enough. I'm just wearing what I wanna wear. If there's a day when I'm like, 'You know what, I feel comfortable with my belly right now, and I wanna show my belly,' I should be allowed to do that."

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People are the worst. Leave the poor girl to wear or not wear whatever the fuck she wants.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
What's funny about Eilish is that it feels that the whole narrative of her wearing baggy clothes was weaponized by a weird fandom and male writers.

Even on this forum ive seen people make the claim that her wearing baggy clothes is some kind of political statement (by a teenager?), in addition to it being mentioned in articles written about her (and they often read with a wiff of slut shaming even tho they try to sell it as empowerment).

I had to do a deep dive since I was helping with a podcast that was going to critique her hip-hop comments and many of the things I came across dealing with her clothing choice felt very...well sexist under the guise of fighting against sexism.

Like she said, its a catch 22. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. She's a pop star, she's gonna wear weird shit. People made it sound like she was taking a noble stand against yoga pants or some shit as opposed to her putting some wacky Hot Topic X Stacy Adams shit cause it looked cool

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucked. Even in the article they've mentioned this has happened before when she wore a tank top and people saying she was being overtly sexual.

What

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Wtf she just wore a swimsuit.

I wouldn't wish body dysmorphia on anyone. Hope she can get past this with any help she needs.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Every single guy I have ever seen talk about Billie Eilish in regards to what she wears. Always sound like those creepy as fuck Japanese idol fans that obese over the purity of their favorite idol.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Seems like she is even getting attacked by her own fans and followers for showing more skin? In a Bikini? When did shit get so backwards again?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Our society is really just not very good at handling well endowed women. I've known women that went and got reductions mostly because they felt they weren't being taken seriously at work and it was hurting their career. That's only really scratching the surface of their issues.

It's also only one particular body issue in a sea of other body issues.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Seems like she is even getting attacked by her own fans and followers for showing more skin? In a Bikini? When did shit get so backwards again?

Some of it is bad faith trolls, some of it is this twisted sort of faux-feminist outrage that twists back on itself into puritanical pearl clutching.

Seen the latter on display here more than once.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
the crazy thing is that she would probably get less comments if she hadnt covered up her body to fight body shaming

now if she ever does anything but cover up its gonna be some big thing

like she said, cant win

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that music, a freaking audio medium, puts such an emphasis on looks. Good singers who don't look like pop stars are at a disadvantage over something that don't control and ultimately doesn't impact the quality of their music. Sadly, it seems like women have to deal with that shit in so many different fields. No one gives a shit if Mike Trout, Bruce Springsteen, or Patrick Mahomes are handsome or not but female athletes and singers have that front and center at all times.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
'I don't like her anymore because as soon as she turns 18 she's a whore.' Like, dude. I can't win. I cannot win."

This is some 4chan shit. All those shitty chans need to be shut down, they're nothing but breeding pools for trash.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Every single guy I have ever seen talk about Billie Eilish in regards to what she wears. Always sound like those creepy as fuck Japanese idol fans that obese over the purity of their favorite idol.

There was even a bunch of posters here who kept posting some weird shit about her and how she should or shouldn't be wearing certain clothes. Every. single. time. she gets brought up some dudes come up with obsessive hot takes about her.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's completely fucked that people don't give a shit that body shaming people causes significant issues with perception of their bodies:

The negative comments and her own struggle with insecurities issues led Eilish to fixate on her self-image.

"There was a point last year where I was naked and I didn't recognize my body 'cause I hadn't seen it in a while," she said. "I would see it sometimes and be like, 'Whose body is that?'"

"It's not that I like [my body] now," she added. "I just think I'm a bit more OK with it."

Eilish has been candid about the sometimes "toxic relationship" she has with her body, saying she has experienced periods of body dysmorphia, depression and self-harm over the years.

She has naturally gravitated toward baggier clothes, which Eilish said has introduced problems as well.

"If I wore a dress to something, I would be hated for it," she told Dazed. "People would be like, 'You've changed, how dare you do what you've always rebelled against?' I'm like, 'I'm not rebelling against anything, really.' I can't stress it enough. I'm just wearing what I wanna wear. If there's a day when I'm like, 'You know what, I feel comfortable with my belly right now, and I wanna show my belly,' I should be allowed to do that."

Oct 28, 2017
Billie is good people. She has a great voice and her own sense of style.

People creepin way too hard on a 17 year old. Shes the kind of person who does what she wants how she wants it.

Good on her.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
This girl has massive likes on Instagram.
Doesn't she get like thousands of compliments for every troll comment?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This girl has massive likes on Instagram.
Doesn't she get like thousands of compliments for every troll comment?

I have to imagine that it's very easy to delude yourself into believing that the compliments are just ass kissing or come across as generic and fake whereas the negative comments is what people "really think".

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Combine the toxicity of fandoms in general, mix it with typical misogyny and the creep culture around teenage female stars, and you get the shit she probably has to put up with on a daily basis.

I imagine a lot of the "positive" comments aren't really helping either. She doesn't need to hear from people that she's not ugly, or that she's attractive or anything, she just needs to hear that nobody gives a fuck and she can be herself, but celebrity worship culture (of which she's definitely now a part of, willing or not) is never going to let that happen.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Combine the toxicity of fandoms in general, mix it with typical misogyny and the creep culture around teenage female stars, and you get the shit she probably has to put up with on a daily basis.

I imagine a lot of the "positive" comments aren't really helping either. She doesn't need to hear from people that she's not ugly, or that she's attractive or anything, she just needs to hear that nobody gives a fuck and she can be herself, but celebrity worship culture (of which she's definitely now a part of, willing or not) is never going to let that happen.

Yeah, I think a lot of people also don't understand that body shaming comes in many forms. Not *JUST* in regards to someone's weight or perceived fitness, etc.

She wore a SWIM suit and was told she was sexualizing? What in the fuck? They try to say it's based on her age? What are teens supposed to swim in? Coveralls?

The only thing I've even read about her that seemed even slightly concerning was that she was appropriating black culture with her clothes and also that she uses an accent a lot of the time that people find offensive, but I can't find any evidence to back it up and I don't generally involve myself in celebrity nonsense anyway.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Slowly but surely, America turns into idol fandom.

Were people honestly expecting her to wear baggy sweatsuits to the beach?