• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
Odyssey is slowing down a lot quicker than BotW, with BotW Switch's sales catching back up to Odyssey. For quite a while Mario Odyssey was about 2 million ahead and now they're exactly tied. Wherever they end up, there will be a bit of a split in Zelda's favor.

Which is insane, lol. Mainline Zelda has never beat a mainline Mario, and it's happening with *both* doing record breaking sales.

Yeah, definitely weird to see. I think the open world craze drew in a lot of non Zelda fans in a way that Odyssey couldn't replicate. It will be interesting to see how BotW 2 compares to the next 3D Mario game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone provide an example of a single player sequel cutting off the legs of its predecessor on the same console?

For reference BOTW's legs are increasing over time currently. Meaning the game sold more last FY than it did the previous FY. I'm not sure if a sequel would be able to hinder those legs.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think 25 mil is a lock, 30 mil would depend on whether BotW2 cuts off or extends BotW's legs. Though with some kind of permanent price cut (Nintendo Switch selects), or special bundle (BotW+BotW2), 30 mil seems more doable.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Zelda's increase this gen can't be overstated:

6wSdtT8.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console ; Green = Hybrid Console
Titles marked with * lack official sales numbers
Source

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Can anyone provide an example of a single player sequel cutting off the legs of its predecessor on the same console?

For reference BOTW's legs are increasing over time currently. Manning the game sold more last FY than it did the previous FY. I'm not sure if a sequel would be able to hinder those legs.
The thing is, single player games don't have legs like BotW. Basically nothing outside of Rockstar games (which have become once-a-generation or less franchises) and Mario Kart (also once a generation) does, and even then it's only a rough match because there's a lot of different behaviors to the sales. So there's not really data points available to make any sort of accurate judgment what happens. BotW is a highly anomalous run in a lot of ways.

I will say though, it's nature as an open world, systems based game that's not plot heavy means it theoretically is "replaceable". This isn't a game people need to experience the story, so if BotW2 comes out and from a mechanical standpoint it's judged to be "BotW but better", there's not going to be a whole lot of need to go back to the mechanically inferior predecessor. So my belief is it's going to be highly dependent on how positively the new game is judged and how similar they are.

Last edited:

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Currently NSW is at 55.77mil and BotW is roughly around 19.4mil (17.41mil NSW/*2mil on WiiU).

Before Zelda highest peak in sales were Twilight Princess (over 8mil with gcn sky) and OoT (just under 8mil). BotW not only is the first game to go over 10mil, but it's already going to break 20mil which is Nintendo biggest franchise jump in the franchise this generation (AC might be first though). But now, forget the major leagues, let's aim for the God Leagues (30mil+)

First off, games that hit over 30mil isn't great at all. Even huge mega multiplat don't hit this if your not made from Rockstar (GTA/RDR). Also examples are MK Wii (soon MK8D), Pokemon RGB, Wii Sports, Tetris, Minecraft.

Let's breakdown Zelda Quarter Sales (and don't forget wiiu sku to add afterwards)

Sales by Quarter
2760k Q4 2016
1160k Q1 2017
770k Q2 2017
2010k Q3 2017
1780k Q4 2017
840k Q1 2018
960k Q2 2018
1400k Q3 2018
1090k Q4 2018
840k Q1 2019
930k Q2 2019
1800k Q3 2019
1070k Q4 2019

As you can tell almost a third of new NSW owners buy BotW but even put that at a fourth. There is at least 45mil more NSW to be sold (100m)

-Lowest Quarter was in its third quarter at 770k
-FY19 was slightly better than FY18
-Lots of game shortages so it might boost a bit higher than normal in FY2020

Negatives?
-BotW2 might impact
-New owners don't like Zelda :P

My prediction is (even if successor comes out in 2023) and maybe Nintendo does BotW as a Nintendo select like they did with SMG)

4.20mil FY20
3.20mil FY21
2.50mil FY22
1.50mil rest of its life

11.40mil from now add in BotW currently and that's 30mil ;)

Post your thoughts... can it hit 30mil? Whether it's combined with wiiu or just NSW sku!!!

www.playstationlifestyle.net

Terraria Crosses 30 Million in Sales, Update Brings Console Versions to Content Parity With PC - PlayStation LifeStyle

New Terraria update has gone live on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, bringing these versions to content parity with PC. The title has also reached 30 units in sales.

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020

For reference BOTW's legs are increasing over time currently. Meaning the game sold more last FY than it did the previous FY. I'm not sure if a sequel would be able to hinder those legs.
If someone can find SMg and smg2 sales

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW will become a player's choice/selects title in a year or two, and continue selling decently possibly adding 1.5m units a year on average until 2022-2023 then it could still keep selling past that point when Switch 2 it out , so I think 25 million is possible. Not 30.

It will be a huge jump for sure.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Does 25 million include WiiU?

That is still an insane number consider it's basically a single player game that's only on one system. Its one of my favorite games of all time but I would not have thought it would appeal to a wide enough audience on a single system to get those numbers.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I dont know why people are saying BoTW2 will kill its legs. It'll be positioned as a story driven non-multiplayer direct sequel. If anything it will renew interest in the 1st game.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, there is this weird thinking that BotW2 will be a replacement for the original when I heavily doubt that BotW2 will just be an improved BotW. That's not how Zelda sequels were ever made.

The original will still seem worth playing after BotW2 is out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, single player games don't have legs like BotW. Basically nothing outside of Rockstar games (which have become once-a-generation or less franchises) and Mario Kart (also once a generation) does, and even then it's only a rough match because there's a lot of different behaviors to the sales. So there's not really data points available to make any sort of accurate judgment what happens. BotW is a highly anomalous run in a lot of ways.

I will say though, it's nature as an open world, systems based game that's not plot heavy means it theoretically is "replaceable". This isn't a game people need to experience the story, so if BotW2 comes out and from a mechanical standpoint it's judged to be "BotW but better", there's not going to be a whole lot of need to go back to the mechanically inferior predecessor. So my belief is it's going to be highly dependent on how positively the new game is judged and how similar they are.

Yeah it'll definitely depend on what BotW 2 is. If it's more focused on underground exploration or traditional dungeons or something different enough from the first game it shouldn't really kill the sales of it all that much.

Nintendo really doesn't often put out "samey" sequels in that way. Especially in the Zelda series. Did Majora's Mask prevent OoT from selling?

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
BOTW Calendar Year Sales:

2017: 6,700
2018: 4,980 (-25.7%)
2019: 4,660 (-6.4%)

2020: 1,070 (-1.8% YoY so far)

Excluding the Jan-Mar quarter each year (this removes the impact of the huge launch quarter of 2,760). So Apr-Dec sales yearly:

2017: 3,940
2018: 3,200 (-18.8%)
2019: 3,570 (+11.6%)

There's no way this is going to go sub 25M - it doesn't make reasonable sense short of it falling off a cliff today.

In order for it to miss 20M this year, it would have to drop under 2,590 for the Apr-Dec period for 2020. That means a greater than 27.5% drop-off for the rest of the year despite the Jan-Mar period holding better than the past two years (its only down 1.8%). More realistically it should do another 3-3.5M for the remainder of the calendar year, putting it at 20.5-21.0M by Dec this year. Following that, it would have to fall under a 2M per year average from 2021-2024 in order to miss 30M. Missing 25M seems impossible.

Then there's an additional 1.61M from the Wii U version to account for (as of Dec 2017).

I think it crosses 25M by holiday 2021 and legs its way past 30M w/discounts/bundles/special editions/etc. There is no sense in a sequel cutting off its legs - that happens with GAAS/MP titles. A shiny new MK9 is a better option for a brand new Switch owner than MK8D, but a new Switch owner is not going to gravitate to BOTW2 before BOTW1 - it's not the same kind of experience.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Tbone5189

Perhaps you should also look at how Ocarina of Time 3D sold over time on 3DS. That entry also had pretty good legs and sold 6m units --- more than the vast majority of Zelda games.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I think BOTW2 will give BOTW a boost around its release but overall it will sell less than it would have if it were the only 3D Zelda on Switch

Christo750

May 10, 2018
30mil is not impossible but 25mil is inevitable. Especially once the hype for the sequel ramps up.