• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 50s built separate backyard garage and my grand Cherokee and my wife's focus fit just fine. It's tight though. The Jeep is actually relatively compact though length wise. I kind of want to level the front out a bit to fix the rake but I'm actually concerned that might make it too tall to fit in the garage.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think you would have a better formed opinion on the decisions of others if you had to drive in snow.

I understand why the people who drive in snow would get one, my argument is that the majority of people buying large vehicles don't live in areas that see much or any snow. I live in Phoenix and huge trucks and SUV's are everywhere and snow isn't a thing here. Same with a lot of the west coast or south.

Also, I have driven a lot in snow, but probably not Hoth levels that parts of the northern US gets. I did so in my 2wd car with snow tires, though I'm fully aware that 4wd/awd makes things a lot easier.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I drive a relatively normal car and I've lost count of the number of times I've needed to slither out of the car to avoid hitting the car next to me (normal supermarket / shopping centre parking spaces).

US giant SUVs getting too big for the already larger parking spaces and home garages..

UK 'small' cars already too big for our teeny tiny garages and parking spaces

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Man some people in this thread are awful. Wishing such hatred on others for buying something they want. Take a deep breath guys. We don't need community policing of all our individual purchases.
Lol all these suckers caring about keeping the earth at a survivable temperature, and complaining about needing air to breathe.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand why the people who drive in snow would get one, my argument is that the majority of people buying large vehicles don't live in areas that see much or any snow. I live in Phoenix and huge trucks and SUV's are everywhere and snow isn't a thing here. Same with a lot of the west coast or south.

Live in the snowy Tundra. 99% of the time AWD is nice, but you really don't need a huge vehicle.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Just stop buying these cars. The are a waste of money for most people and they're bad for the environment and pedestrians.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everytime i get in my 2019 forester i realize just how small it is compared to other SUV's and just contemplate on why the fuck would i need something so big. It's amazing how many other vehicles make mine like dwarfish in size.

We have a Crosstrek which is even smaller and I still feel like it's plenty of space most of the time. I don't get it. People justify big cars far too often. I do a ton of home projects and it's mostly fine. I can rent a truck for 2-3 hours for the few times I need it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A new mini would dwarf the old one also. Cars are way bigger across the board. If you drive anything from the 90s, you would be shocked how much more narrow everything was.

Yeah, I drive older cars, and they always disappear in parking lots because they're small by comparison.

And also here's more old vs new because I like these pictures
z3jqLh3.jpg

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Probably why alot of 2 car garages only fit 1 car. And the fact that in America we have too much shit. We currently park our 2 in the driveway, and most of the neighbors too.

And on the topic of parking spaces. Those smart park when you're out of the car is dumb unless everyone has it. You're the asshole now blocking someone in and will likely get a dent from their door.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
One of the worst parts is also that if you are interested in buying a truck there are next to zero options that aren't enormous. And the smaller options still cost almost the same.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why people own SUVs and trucks if you don't do construction farm stuff etc or have multiple children.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Our garage is too small for my Mazda CX-5, a compact SUV. HEll my wife's Mazda 3, a compact sedan, hardly fits in... so I don't have a damn chance for a truck or anything larger.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Is it bad that I want a compact SUV for my next car? Sedans are nice, but being able to fold down the seats to move large items is a big plus.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Small cars are so much more fun to drive.

The grill on modern pickups is terrifying and deadly to pedestrians.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
One of the worst parts is also that if you are interested in buying a truck there are next to zero options that aren't enormous. And the smaller options still cost almost the same.

Yeah, small trucks are gone and the mid-size trucks are still somewhat big. It sucks as someone who likes small trucks. The worst part is none of the new small trucks are even available in single cabs anymore.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Do you drive in snow?

I do, in a FWD stick (Fiesta now GTI). AWD would be nice but it's never been that important. Just the other day also had to drive up an icy unpaved hill in my wife's Sonic (FWD Auto, all-seasons) and managed that okay. I've driven in snowstorms in both my cars without issue, including one especially fun hour long drive through a snowstorm in NH where the road was completely covered.

Unless you're flying around unplowed areas in the boonies where you need the clearance (or need tow capacity) you don't really "need" the truck or SUV. Even then as another noted a Subaru would pretty much do the same ("Unofficial car of New England" as I call them). People come up with excuses to buy one but it ultimately comes down to buying one because they just want it.

My biggest pet peeve though is that if someone claims they need a big AWS vehicle for the snow but then drive year round on all-seasons. Makes me roll my eyes haaaard.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My father in law recently got rid of a Land Rover Discovery that did not much more than that (converted to UK mpg) and replaced it with... another Discovery that does about 24mpg US. Most of the time he's the only person in it.

Our Crosstrek gets close to 32, my Corolla got 36, my Tesla gets 80mpg equiv with a coat of .04kWh. I can't imagine paying for 16mpg.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Our garage is too small for my Mazda CX-5, a compact SUV. HEll my wife's Mazda 3, a compact sedan, hardly fits in... so I don't have a damn chance for a truck or anything larger.
What's hilarious is that we have a one car garage, and my GF was so set on a CX-5 a couple years back, she didn't even think about if it would fit in our garage until we drove it home. Thankfully it fits lol.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Our Crosstrek gets close to 32, my Corolla got 36, my Tesla gets 80mpg equiv with a coat of .04kWh. I can't imagine paying for 16mpg.

I feel lucky my cars get on average 25mpg when I talk to people who own trucks.

My dad drives a Toyota Landcruiser most of the time that gets like 16 mpg, which is not something I'd want to fill up every week. Though when the weather is good he drives his Lotus Elise which gets like 30mpg.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What's hilarious is that we have a one car garage, and my GF was so set on a CX-5 a couple years back, she didn't even think about if it would fit in our garage until we drove it home. Thankfully it fits lol.
GF did the same. She wanted a Acadia so we can fit all the kids in, but didn't bother thinking where we'd park the damn thing. Fortunately the garage has a high door/ceiling and she can park it on the longer side. My Volt doesn't take up much space in the garage, so there's that extra side room for her too.

We're in trouble though if I ever get a larger vehicle, but I plan on staying away from another SUV or truck.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I live in Minnesota. Lived more rural for a few years. My Corolla was fine with snow tires all year round. My Crosstrek and Tesla AWD are champs. People exaggerate their need for suvs in the snow.
Most people, definitely. I guess it depends on how good/bad local snow plows are about clearing the roads.

But yeah the Crosstrek has as much ground clearance as many much-bigger SUVs.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You really don't need a big vehicle if you live somewhere with lots of ice and snow. We have winter 6 months of the year here, and I've barely had any problems driving my Civic around the city or on major highways. If you live rurally where roads don't get plowed often then I get it, but usually the people that use this excuse rarely if ever leave the city.

Also as an aside, I hate how big trucks and SUV's are so high off the ground that their lights shine directly through my back window and into my mirrors at night. It's ridiculously blinding.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Also as an aside, I hate how big trucks and SUV's are so high off the ground that their lights shine directly through my back window and into my mirrors at night. It's ridiculously blinding.
I've had an auto-dimming rear view mirror on my previous and current car. It really makes a difference.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
That is a HUGE part of it (at least where I am from, Michigan). We drive on snow/ice 5-6 months out of the year. I push through snow with zero problems on days when a car owner can't even get out of their driveway.

If the roads are plowed with any regularity, you can get by just fine in any car with winter tires. The only time I was even slightly uncomfortable driving was when there was a shitton of slush on the road.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I think you would have a better formed opinion on the decisions of others if you had to drive in snow.

I've spent a lifetime of dealing with New England winters and from my experience a FWD sedan with snow tires and proper driving technique is adequate for most snowy/icy roads. I'm sure an SUV would fare better in situations where you're plowing through rural roads blanked with thick virgin snow, but that's not going to be the experience for the majority of the car driving public.

Oct 27, 2017
got rid of my miata for something a little more practical -- so i got a GTI coupe, lol.
last year someone put an angry note on it because i parked too close to their giant SUV
kept it on my wall for a few months in the office for a good chuckle now and again

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Larger trucks and SUVs should have specialized parking spaces like the handicap ones but they should be as far as fuck away from the front of buildings instead. I live in town and very few people have a good excuse to drive them but yet they do.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
We have a Crosstrek which is even smaller and I still feel like it's plenty of space most of the time. I don't get it. People justify big cars far too often. I do a ton of home projects and it's mostly fine. I can rent a truck for 2-3 hours for the few times I need it.

My forester was just big enough to fit our cradenza so it was a perfect fit....i mean my knees were a little to the dash lol, but still.......just enough.

Obviously i can't fit a couch or anything that big, but it can fit pretty much anything else. It's been great to have that room.....but yes, any bigger...i would just rent a truck. I mean I would rather spend $40 for a quick moving of items than the ridiculous payment that comes with a truck and the gas that it drains.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Large trucks and SUVs should be taxed differently unless used outside urban areas. We don't need more of these monstrosities being used to commute on city streets by a single person. It's preposterous.

can we say large trucks and suvs with highway mpg under 30........I mean my forester is technically an SUV, but again...its fucking tiny compared to a Tahoe, TRaverse, suburban.........at this point i should say its tiny compared to any american made SUV, lets be real here....almost every chevy SUV is fucking massive.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'm in Chicago, and I'm constantly in awe at how many people drive SUVs. I have no idea who needs that much car space or why, but I swear that 50-75% of the in-city traffic is SUVs.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I live in Minnesota. Lived more rural for a few years. My Corolla was fine with snow tires all year round. My Crosstrek and Tesla AWD are champs. People exaggerate their need for suvs in the snow.

People can and do get around with a lot less than even your old Corolla, it doesn't mean I want to. I drove in Michigan winters for 25 years in various front wheel & AWD drive cars before I switched to 4WD. The first time I ever drove in bad weather in a 4WD, I felt like an idiot for waiting so long. It is a night and day difference and I'll never go back as long as I live here.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Is it bad that I want a compact SUV for my next car? Sedans are nice, but being able to fold down the seats to move large items is a big plus.
Yes it is bad. Sedans and even little hatchbacks have rear seats that fold down too. Why do people seem to think things like folding seats and AWD are exclusive to SUVs?

I will never understand people who pay more for an objectively worse driving experience... unless of course they're too big to fit into a car.