• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely tied to voting. So how do you explain to women in Texas to vote for Biden after this?

Are you serious right now? Right now? After all the shit that's come out since Hobbs, and you think one judge is enough to disgruntle women in Texas? What a fucked up thing to post.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Joe Biden, we need a new third party. I don't care if it gives republicans majority power, they already have that and at least I could vote for people that actually represent me.

Cute of you to think that such a scenario won't lead to the end of voting and permanent absolute Republican power everywhere.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Joe Biden, we need a new third party. I don't care if it gives republicans majority power, they already have that and at least I could vote for people that actually represent me.
The only third parties we have are the libertarians, who think drivers licenses should be illegal, and the greens, who are literally funded by the Russian government. I have no faith in an actual third party who gives a shit popping up.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Cute of you to think that such a scenario won't lead to the end of voting and permanent absolute Republican power everywhere.
You're right, I should place my faith back in the idiots that sing patriotic songs on the steps of the Capitol building as liberties are being stripped away from the people they're supposed to be advocating for.

less

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, I should place my faith back in the idiots that sing patriotic songs on the steps of the Capitol building as liberties are being stripped away from the people they're supposed to be advocating for.

Yes, you absolutely should as those idiots are of the party which has successfully fought to protect aboriton rights in many blue states.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Because the people who literally conned people out of millions by promising a recount in 2016 are so much better.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Are you serious right now? Right now? After all the shit that's come out since Hobbs, and you think one judge is enough to disgruntle women in Texas? What a fucked up thing to post.
Nice of you to throw women in Kentucky under the bus. Just one judge bro. This judge will deny human rights to them, thanks to Biden.

Frankly it's the fact that Biden even considered this deal should be alarming. That too with the fucking backstabber king ghoul.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The current judge is not retiring. She is taking senior status. In either case, the president can appoint a replacement. But for district and circuit court judges, there is a meaningful difference. A retired judge no longer hears cases. A senior judge still hears cases (and can take up to a full caseload). Biden is adding a 40-something right-wing judge, not replacing one with another.

The judge would be vacating the seat. Moving to senior status is how the vast majority of judges "retire." They are able to still take cases but that is true for most district and circuit judges.

I am pretty confused what going on here this isn't some open seat at all it all hinges on someone retired so if there no deal she wont retired anyway.

Biden could call her bluff and force her to continue serving.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Ctrl-F vote in this thread.

It is entirely possible to criticize a policy or a decision without trying to say voting is useless. A bad decision concerning one judge in Kentucky who will not retire unless replaced with another judge for which the White House hasn't responded to yet should not be a reason to discourage you from voting and it should not be a reason to equate Democrats with Republicans.
I am pretty confused what going on here this isn't some open seat at all it all hinges on someone retired so if there no deal she wont retired anyway.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
User warned: cross-forum drama
I got yelled at in the politics OT this week for suggesting how inept Biden and his team are and how the Democrats fucking suck and are leading us to shit and have been for 50 years.

Nice seeing that shit deals like this are still being made by the Biden admin. Keep voting ya'll! One day they will finally listen to us. Im sure of it.

Like I said in the OT - if you're some kind of minority, for your own good, please look to leave the USA behind cause shit is gonna get down right ugly for you all these next 20 years here. Unfortunately, the party that was supposed to be looking out for you all is too asleep at the wheel, or just plain old corrupt, to do anything about it. Fuck the GOP, Biden, and the Democrats.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Nice of you to throw women in Kentucky under the bus. Just one judge bro. This judge will deny human rights to them, thanks to Biden.

Frankly it's the fact that Biden even considered this deal should be alarming. That too with the fucking backstabber king ghoul.

You're the one using women as props. Deciding that a judge in Kentucky is going to disenfranchise women in Texas. I didn't say a goddamned thing about women in Kentucky but you'll use them for your argument too.

I'm against this deal. I really don't see what we get out of it. They get a younger judge for 2 attorneys. But I'm not going to throw my hands up and say why should people in Texas even bother.

Christ it's really going to be two more years of takes like this. Dems do something wrong and IT'S ALL OVER! HOW CAN THEY EXPECT ANYONE TO VOTE FOR THEM NOW?!?!?!?

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I got yelled at in the politics OT this week for suggesting how inept Biden and his team are and how the Democrats fucking suck and are leading us to shit and have been for 50 years.

Nice seeing that shit deals like this are still being made by the Biden admin. Keep voting ya'll! One day they will finally listen to us. Im sure of it.

Like I said in the OT - if you're some kind of minority, for your own good, please look to leave the USA behind cause shit is gonna get down right ugly for you all these next 20 years here. Unfortunately, the party that was supposed to be looking out for you all is too asleep at the wheel, or just plain old corrupt, to do anything about it. Fuck the GOP, Biden, and the Democrats.
You got yelled at for advocating for a fucking dictatorship. Shut up, fucking hell man.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you absolutely should as those idiots are of the party which has successfully fought to protect aboriton rights in many blue states.
I'm as left-leaning as it gets, I don't think the Joe Bidens of the world speak to that.
Where did I mention the GOP?
Are you not referring to them by mentioning the promise of a recount in 2016, is that not what Trump was pushing for. You've confused me.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm as left-leaning as it gets, I don't think the Joe Bidens of the world speak to that.

Are you not referring to them by mentioning the promise of a recount in 2016, is that not what Trump was pushing for. You've confused me.
The Green Party were the ones collecting money for a 2016 recount that never happened, not the GOP. Our third parties are straight up conman tier.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
321852959ce8fa4af3bb10c4719f9ff8.png

more judges than anyone and not a peep here but one bad one who wouldn't have retired to even create the opening otherwise and this thread will probably have dozens of pages

very predictable

How do each of this administration's previous appointments rate in terms of good/bad?

Also super significant is how the Trump administration is weighted, which reflects the route to power that conservatives have been taking. Probably it would be good to match that ratio.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Faith in Democrats isn't necessary. You only have to believe Republicans will make good on all of their promises.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I just called the White House and Joe Biden agreed to meet me for a wallet inspection

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Third party is just a dumb idea. Splitting the D+independent vote means that in most instances R wins that seat. Progressives can change the Democratic Party from within in time (medium term). Look at how the Tea Party shifted the GOP all the fucken way to the right, masks off.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
You're the one using women as props. Deciding that a judge in Kentucky is going to disenfranchise women in Texas. I didn't say a goddamned thing about women in Kentucky but you'll use them for your argument too.

I'm against this deal. I really don't see what we get out of it. They get a younger judge for 2 attorneys. But I'm not going to throw my hands up and say why should people in Texas even bother.

Christ it's really going to be two more years of takes like this. Dems do something wrong and IT'S ALL OVER! HOW CAN THEY EXPECT ANYONE TO VOTE FOR THEM NOW?!?!?!?

Yeah, i'll never understand this accelerationist attitude. No solutions, always anarchy.

OP
OP
Raftina

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
The judge would be vacating the seat. Moving to senior status is how the vast majority of judges "retire." They are able to still take cases but that is true for most district and circuit judges.
The seat is not what gives federal judges their power. It is the ability to hear cases, which senior judges retain. Most senior judges in fact take reduced caseloads, but here we are talking about a 66 year old judge who is "in no hurry to retire".

The Green Party were the ones collecting money for a 2016 recount that never happened, not the GOP. Our third parties are straight up conman tier.
Stein demanded three recounts. One recount (Wisconsin) happened. Judges stopped two recounts (Pennsylvania and Michigan).
www.reuters.com

Green Party U.S. election recount bid comes to a close

The recount effort by Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein in three U.S. states came to an end on Monday, after weeks of legal wrangling yielded only one electoral review in Wisconsin that favored Republican winner Donald Trump.

A federal judge in Pennsylvania rejected Stein's request for a recount and an examination of that state's voting machines for evidence of hacking in the Nov. 8 election won by Trump.

Meanwhile, Wisconsin election officials said on Monday they had completed their 10-day recount after finding that Trump's margin of victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton had increased by 131 votes, bringing Trump's total lead to 22,748.

"The final Wisconsin vote is in and guess what - we just picked up an additional 131 votes. The Dems and Green Party can now rest. Scam!" Trump said on Twitter.

Stein, who finished fourth, challenged the results in those two states as well as Michigan, where the state's top court on Friday denied Stein's last-ditch appeal to keep a recount going. All of those traditionally Democratic strongholds supported Trump over Clinton.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhh yep yep, okay my bad. Yeah, I'm definitely not going to argue with you that third parties have been trash thus far, I guess I'm just voicing frustration at how inept the Democratic Party has largely been in my lifetime and how badly I wish there was a valid alternative or at the very least a way to clean house of all these old politicians that care more about their stock portfolios than they seem to care about rallying votes, advocating for minority communities, or even just fighting dirty when it seems like the Republican Party has been just fine with doing that over the last 40-50 years.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
Biden sucks and after midterms I'm going to do my best to not have to rely on him and his useless ways for my literal livelihood

edit - actually useless ways isnt the way i would really describe him. more like useless presence. He's no leader to rally behind in the face of fascism in my eyes

I was just reading an article about how the elderly are more likely to be the victims of scammers.

lol

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The seat is not what gives federal judges their power. It is the ability to hear cases, which senior judges retain. Most senior judges in fact take reduced caseloads, but here we are talking about a 66 year old judge who is "in no hurry to retire".

"In no hurry to retire" is referencing the fact that she will not vacate the seat if she doesn't get her preferred replacement, not an indication of how many cases she will hear in senior status. Anyways we're playing semantics here. If you want to say she is not retiring then most judges who are replaced and who didn't die in office also don't retire. Hers is not a special case and 66 is not an unusual age to take senior status.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Keeping up with American politics is like watching professional wrestling. There are no real stakes for them. It's all acting.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
The republicans are awful but the democrats may be the worst opposition party as well. Can't believe these clowns are our defense against fascism. We're fucked

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
The US is a really fucked up place. The overton window is so far right it's insane. What passes for moderates these days isn't moderate. Dems are basically republican lite as a result but what choice do you have when the other side is about a billion times worse?

It is incredibly important to vote. I will always encourage that. At the same time, with these current Dems, if you're a person struggling out there you're still drowning, just slower. Progressives/the left wing often get beat down on here as some anti-voting force when I don't really see that at all. The Center/Center-Right in the Democratic party will often talk about things being a long, hard road when people don't have that long. Things are bad now for so many. But this forum skews a certain way so many will want to maintain the status quo.

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
How do each of this administration's previous appointments rate in terms of good/bad?

During his four years in office, the ABA rated 264 of President Trump's nominees; 187 were rated "well-qualified," 67 were rated "qualified," and 10 were rated "not qualified."

As of June 2, 2022, the ABA had offered ratings for 90 of President Joe Biden's (D) nominees. The ABA rated 78 of those nominees well qualified and 12 nominees qualified.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: The White House has not explained why they are doing this. Here is one possible excuse for Biden. Note that I have not found any support for this idea, so the excuse is speculation.

Traditionally (not a rule), the Senate will not approve a judicial nomination for a Senator's home state unless both Senators from the state agree. This is called Blue Slip, named such because the Senate Judiciary Committee uses a blue slip to solicit their opinion. It also applies to US Attorney nominations. This is not a law or a Senate rule, so the senate can dispense with it. McConnell in fact dispensed with it to confirm Trump's nominations.

It is possible that Manchin, Sinema, and/or more Democratic Senators demanded the restoration of the blue slip practice, making it impossible to confirm judges and US Attorneys to Kentucky unless Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul both agree. I am unable to find any information that supports this idea, but it is the only plausible excuse I can think of.

It still does not excuse sidestepping the Kentucky Democrats (the governor and the state's only Democratic congressional member) to deal with McConnell though.
We're getting two prosecutors for this right.

Is that a fair deal?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
During his four years in office, the ABA rated 264 of President Trump's nominees; 187 were rated "well-qualified," 67 were rated "qualified," and 10 were rated "not qualified."

As of June 2, 2022, the ABA had offered ratings for 90 of President Joe Biden's (D) nominees. The ABA rated 78 of those nominees well qualified and 12 nominees qualified.

He's really shoving through those Article 3 judges.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did and I still can't find what you are implying. Maybe one ambiguous post. Just people pissed their votes in the past didn't amount to more and they have every right to be pissed that they didn't.

edit: okay well now there is maybe ONE with Holmes post lol. But I don't blame him for feeling that way at all.
Well for the record, I will always vote and I am fairly sure I will be voting against Biden in the primary.