Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Anyway, Thordinson , it doesn't seem to be the case that Dems are respecting all blue slips? Essentially told Blackburn and Haggerty to kick rocks. Now I clearly doubt they'd go over McConnell's head in this manner.

www.reuters.com

Biden judicial nominee grilled amid objections by GOP home state senators

Senate Republicans on Wednesday criticized the White House for failing to sufficiently consult two Tennessee GOP senators about President Joe Biden's nomination of a lawyer from their state to sit on a federal appellate court over their objections.

They are respecting blue slips in this case. They shouldn't. The idea of blue slips in general is silly.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, @Thordinson , it doesn't seem to be the case that Dems are respecting all blue slips? Essentially told Blackburn and Haggerty to kick rocks. Now I clearly doubt they'd go over McConnell's head in this manner.

Having looked into it a bit more, they are having the same exact policy as Republicans when they controlled the Senate. Blue slips were removed for a lot of nominations such as for circuit court nominations but are in place for district court nominations.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I agree! I'm one of the dreaded Bernie bros that regularly gets blamed when moderates follow their 30+ year track record of doing jack shit and lose elections as a result. Sorry if that didn't come across 😅
I was agreeing. Biden presidency is just not delivering at all. He's not Trump, but he's honestly still a terrible president. Just in different ways.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Disaster is exactly right, how else does one describe a presidency where the party is holding the house and Senate yet can't implement their own party agenda they campaigned on? To the point where it's looking more and more like losing 2024 is inevitable.

Who saw Manchin and Sinema coming?
Well, Manchin was always mentioned as a roadblock to a Sanders admin. And I'm sure there was a couple of other conservative Dems in the Senate along side him. Sinema just surprised us all by assuming that role instead of some other white old dude.

But that was the entire point of the Biden candidacy. Don't elect Warren or Bernie, they will never accomplish anything.

A bigger point is that Warren or Bernie would have lost to Trump.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm over stories about 2016 and 2020. I don't care about proving counterfactual statements like "Bernie would've been less effective than Biden or not elected at all." It's probably true, but it's also irrelevant.

What I want to know is why the Biden Administration thinks THIS "compromise" is appropriate in a post-Dobbs world and why they're not blasting the airwaves with the shit presently going on in Ohio and Texas and telling the VERY TRUE (and also politically advantageous) statement that THIS is the America that Republicans want to impose upon women and girls, and also LGBT folks and probably interracial couples too.

It infuriates me that Thomas' concurrence in Dobbs isn't broadcast to everyone.

Just be HONEST. What they're doing in Texas and Ohio is what they want to do across America, and if we want the kind of middling "independence" we have known for the past 50 years, the battle is on.

It's probably gross to the particular family in question, but that poor 10-year-old pregnant rape victim in Ohio needs to be front and center as the America that Republicans want.

less

Oct 25, 2017
What I want to know is why the Biden Administration thinks THIS "compromise" is appropriate in a post-Dobbs world

This "compromise" was very likely agreed upon before Dobbs came down. We will see whether the White House changes course in time.

It infuriates me that Thomas' concurrence in Dobbs isn't broadcast to everyone.

Just be HONEST. What they're doing in Texas and Ohio is what they want to do across America, and if we want the kind of middling "independence" we have known for the past 50 years, the battle is on.

Ads are being made regarding all of that. You just have to remember that ads cost money and the majority of the ad blitz is always going to come closer to midterms...

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Predictable. We need to remember just because the liberals are our best option, does not mean they are a good one.

Obama taught me that.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
How much would a better VP do than what Harris can do at the moment? Aside from stepping in for Biden were his health to decline?
Appoint Harris to a Circuit Court judge position. I have nothing against her, but... as much as I'm a card-carrying neoliberal centrist on Era, I can't think of a single thing she's done that's positive or position she's taken that's remotely inspiring or anything she's done that would galvanize voters.

I want an actual, vocal presence along the lines of a Stacey Abrams or John Fetterman-type, not someone who looks over their shoulder and asks whether something is OK to Tweet.

This may be manifestly unfair to Harris, who (I'm sure!) is a decent human person and holds positive views on at least 80% of what I care about, but... it ain't enough now. We need someone louder and bolder. And that isn't her.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Fact of the matter is, a lot of Democratic leadership don't see the GOP as enemies to be defeated but as colleagues they sometimes disagree with.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe someone from a state party
There's that Michigan state Dem legislator that made waves for *shocking* actually forcefully pushing back against disgusting GOP smears on Dems "grooming kids." That something as simple as pushing back against GOP smears is seen as a "wave" ni Dem circles and not just basic political tactics shows how bad the Dem party is at the moment.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
How much would a better VP do than what Harris can do at the moment? Aside from stepping in for Biden were his health to decline?
She is a horrible messenger. A good VP should go out and sell people on the President's policies and she has failed at that many times. I honestly think Klobuchar would've been better which is not something I ever thought I'd be saying….not saying that's who he should pick just using her as an example.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if i ever have a "personal friendship gesture" with mitch mcconnell i want one of you to fucking stab me in the eye

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Rand Paul's obstinacy of all things saving Biden from moving forward with this PR nightmare was no something I'd expect.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
"Just so you know it wasn't because I wanted to listen to my base or anything."

Dec 15, 2017
This is what justly happens when you try to make a deal with the devil, it comes back on you hard, just too bad Rand Paul was the reason it backfired

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's just indefensible. There's nothing to defend. You can't even realpolitik around Mitch McConnell, so that falls flat too. If the Dems don't understand that federal judges are the unelected nobility in this country, I don't know what to tell them. We don't need another 30-something regressive, Federalist Society-approved baron.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't really find Mitch McConnell to be a particularly trustworthy source as to what this agreement actually was.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
What a fucking update. Also love how they literally never shy away at a chance to shit on their base. Rand Paul of all people good lord. Brandon is a horrible president. I have absolutely zero confidence in him. Also where did all the lying start that he was originally getting two US attorneys out of it?