For US politics and election threads

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Since I was one of many who said Biden had a horrible Night. Since it's obvious he won't drop out. I'll say this, we must continue to support him and vote for him. The alternative is much worse.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Something that lives in my head rent-free is the delusional cope that I saw from posters at the old place regarding Hillary Clinton having the election 'in the bag' and being the best possible candidate and I'm already seeing the same vibes now. Biden is so utterly cooked I just cannot with the notion that people think hes fine / gonna be fine for November.

That was the case in 2020 and Biden did win that.

If anything, Biden doesn't have this in the bag, so it's not complacency.

fairwxfriend

Banned
Jan 31, 2021
Something that lives in my head rent-free is the delusional cope that I saw from posters at the old place regarding Hillary Clinton having the election 'in the bag' and being the best possible candidate and I'm already seeing the same vibes now. Biden is so utterly cooked I just cannot with the notion that people think hes fine / gonna be fine for November.

The copium mixed with condescension is crazy, it's deja vu

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is something you could have posted verbatim four years ago, except Trump still lost there

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
As someone that is not from the US. This election does worry me, especially with how the debate came across last night (for many reasons).

Many places in the rest of the world seem to "import" American politics these days and the right of populist, far right politicians is no coincidence imo. Trump was the start of a movement and I fear that it will continue further if he gets into power again. The stripping away of rights and a push to a more authoritarian government and a strong arm of Christian fundamentalism.

It's really concerning, especially when such important issues like climate change, cost of living & more and being brushed aside in favour of manufacturing outrage to the LGBTQ community.

I really hope Biden still wins.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

You could apply the same logic to 2020 though...

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
If he can be like this more often over the next few months then I don't think it's completely over but the fact remains that last night did a lot of damage.

It was already going to be a tight race and a setback like this right off the bat is really tough.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as long as he has a plate of waffles in the situation room he'll be fine

Jesus Christ
This is a rebuttal that doesn't address anything that poster said. What do waffles have to do with a cold and speech impediment ? What does a speech impediment and cold impacting speech have to do with the situation room?

I guess in a world where the answer to child care is deport undocumented immigrants it makes sense.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
And you didn't feel that way 4 years ago? Every one of these from now on will be close because the country is that divided. There's still a chance for comedy amongst all this drama. Trump drops dead of old age before Biden in the coming months.

fairwxfriend

Banned
Jan 31, 2021
This is a rebuttal that doesn't address anything that poster said. What do waffles have to do with a cold and speech impediment ? What does a speech impediment and cold impacting speech have to do with the situation room?

I guess in a world where the answer to child care is deport undocumented immigrants it makes sense.

I am mocking Biden's frustratingly sudden lucidity and coherence at Waffle House immediately after the debate

And on your last point sure, let's talk also talk about Biden's answer on abortion

Sep 14, 2023
The copium mixed with condescension is crazy, it's deja vu
The condescension and cope is off the charts. Polling has shown that over 70% of the people think he's too old. 50 million people saw proof of that last night, but of course it's the fault of the people who have been pointing this out for at least 2 years and not the fault of the completely incompetent DNC/Democratic Party. Can't wait to see how the liberals somehow blame his defeat on the left again.

Trump is so awful that he could still lose, but that performance from Biden last night just made it so much harder. I guess I'm glad people have finally woken up to what an awful candidate he is, but that ship has sailed.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
That's great! This Biden should get a time-machine, go back in time, and do the Debate instead of last night's Biden.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That's great! This Biden should get a time-machine, go back in time, and do the Debate instead of last night's Biden.

I mean, real talk, Biden's press team should put out a statement allowing usage of this presser for free universally, since CNN put up such a stink about using clips from the actual debate without a high buy in.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problem last night was trying to debate in good faith when neither Trump nor CNN were at all interested in doing so.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
He was just like this after the debate with his speech! I don't know what the fuck happened last night but damn; if he showed up to the debate like thishe would've absolutely crushed trump.

This at the very least should stem some of the dooming last night.

Sep 14, 2023
Part of the problem last night was trying to debate in good faith when neither Trump nor CNN were at all interested in doing so.
I think the problem last night was that Biden was incoherent and mumbling things like "we finally defeated Medicare..." before trailing off into a fugue state. He's too old and no one in their right mind thinks this guy would be able to see out another 4 years. If Trump was not the GOP nominee, no one would be making any excuses for Biden. Period. This was an avoidable problem, but the usual mix of hubris and utter ineptitude from the neoliberal center right corporate assholes that run the Dem party have screwed us all yet again.

fairwxfriend

Banned
Jan 31, 2021
The condescension and cope is off the charts. Polling has shown that over 70% of the people think he's too old. 50 million people saw proof of that last night, but of course it's the fault of the people who have been pointing this out for at least 2 years and not the fault of the completely incompetent DNC/Democratic Party. Can't wait to see how the liberals somehow blame his defeat on the left again.

Trump is so awful that he could still lose, but that performance from Biden last night just made it so much harder. I guess I'm glad people have finally woken up to what an awful candidate he is, but that ship has sailed.

This is anecdotal obviously but I will say this - I worked as an intern for Obama in 08, and then as a field organizer during the healthcare reform push/midterm elections and his reelection campaign in 12. I still keep in contact with a bunch of people that still work in and around DC and my group chats are a fucking eulogy right now. People with skin in the game think we're cooked. The things that are not being said publicly right now by people in the party cannot be understated. And when I compare what literal political operatives are saying privately to people here going "oh but his speech impediment" - like, it doesn't matter. It's literally fucking crazy. I need to get off the internet for a bit.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
The reaction to last night would have been enough to have Chicken Little blush and curl his feet. Always good to have current and ongoing confirmation that the man might be old, but not incapable.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Completely different less than 24 hours later. Even his color looks significantly better. What the heck happened yesterday?

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
I almost wonder if Biden had taken some kind of cold medicine just prior to the debate which gave him some cognitive side effects. Seeing as almost immediately after how he was better

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the richest, most powerfull, most Nobel-Prize-Winning nation in the world has the choice bewtween these two old fucks is depressing. What the fuck yall

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
This is the Biden that needs to show up constantly now. I have no idea how the difference can be so sharp, but he needs to really show he can still do off-the-cuff statements that stick to the heart of the matter in every platform possible. Get some savvy influencers to spread the word and get wild.

Oct 28, 2017

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I started this, went to a random time where he was on, he spoke well, he made a joke and I legit laughed.

It's night and day, but this is the Biden that needs to show up consistently from here on out.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Conspiracy Theorizing
This is the Biden that needs to show up constantly now. I have no idea how the difference can be so sharp, but he needs to really show he can still do off-the-cuff statements that stick to the heart of the matter in every platform possible. Get some savvy influencers to spread the word and get wild.
They tweaked the drug cocktail for this event just right.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
This helps my anxiety a little bit, but it's like why couldnt we have this last night. He honestly didn't need to give any detailed answers, just generic responses and look coherent and competent. Then in his closing response just call Trump a rapist and convicted felon and it would've been a wrap. He has to get out and keep showing this Joe so last night gets lost in the news cycle. I fucking hate our presedential campaigns are so long and are all about optics and vibes

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

That 'awful candidate' handily won the dem primaries four years ago, and got the most votes for a president ever four in a general election. And incumbency is a well known advantage. And he beat Trump, Hilary didn't.

It's not some great mystery why the DNC decided to stick with him, nor is it entirely illogical to do so.

He has definitely aged in a way that might make people less excited to vote for him, but how do you quantify how that counteracts the good things he has going for him?

And those successes above might because a very large part of Americans just fucking hate Trump, so they voted against him.

But...that doesn't really factor in. Cause he's still facing Trump.

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't the WH doc confirm he has a cold?

He is definitely not as sharp as he was 4 years ago but if he can get out there more do stuff like this people will forget.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Maybe he was still a bit sick yesterday. A cold can knock you out, especially at his age.

I'm 30 with a fresh cold right now and I've been zombified for about two days now. Could easily see it being a factor at play for someone his age.

That and just generally being in so much bodily discomfort that you stop caring how it looks to those around you, which I've personally experienced a lot lately with carpal tunnel at work.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Next debate, after every trump answer, they check the answer in real time and don't move on until its pointed out that he's a fucking liar.

do it for both candidates.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 30 with a fresh cold right now and I've been zombified for about two days now. Could easily see it being a factor at play for someone his age.

That and just generally being in so much bodily discomfort that you stop caring how it looks to those around you, which I've personally experienced a lot lately with carpal tunnel at work.

I'm 41 and have a cold since yesterday and fever too since today and I feel like driven over.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
They need Biden on Morning Joe this Monday to explain the debate if he is like this less than 24 hours later.