For US politics and election threads
Oct 30, 2017
Last edited:

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
"Where was this man yesterday?"

He was being gaslit and his stutter was being abused.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The line about "I can't debate like I used to but I can do this job" was good, as was "like all Americans when you get knocked down you get back up." I mean it's corny but it works.

Sigh. Dude needs this energy every day until November.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Dems better get to work spreading clips of this. It generally won't matter, but anything to counter-act the new perception from last night will help.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
"Where was this man yesterday?"

He was being gaslit and his stutter was being abused.
Problem is he started out that way from minute 1. And the agape look when it wasn't his turn.

But anyway, this showing is restore a lot of my confidence for an optics-obsessed public. I hope it's the status quo and it continues to show up.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
I think he's too old to do well off script. The debate did not allow scripts/notes or teleprompter. Here he is well prepared and assisted.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
This the guy people freaking about about cause of last night? Dude looks good to me.
It is a night and day difference. As some who was reassured by his SOTU performance and then mortified by his debate performance, watching this rally gave me whiplash. It's as if what we saw last night was a hologram of Biden being beamed in from 10 years in the future.

He needs this energy all the time, and especially when tens of millions of people are watching.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
debates require him to be more reactionary and quicker on his feet to respond to Trump's points which is where he tended to struggle. It's different than reciting a prepared speech in front of a crowd.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
He clearly has a cold/cough, has a moment midway through this one he shows it bad admidst an otherwise energetic and enthusiastic speech. Great to see him bring energy and this is exactly what needed to be done immediately after last night, but man they should've just postponed or recalibrated if they knew he wasn't feeling 100%.
We'll see if they even do another debate if he can bring the energy like this. He needs to go in and just focus on broad strokes and rebuttals and not statistics and stuff he's going to sputter over.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to this and it's a night and day difference. He is quick, he is likable, and he inspired confidence.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
This will add to the "they need to give him stimulants" narrative, but I don't think moderate swing voters are paying attention to that anyway.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks so hard that appearances on debates have such a big influence on electability. Aside from his atrocious (non) dealing with Israel, Biden has done sooo much good for the US in the last four years. For so many people. With such a highly polarized and partisan senate and congress. He doesn't look good in debates, but why the fuck should that matter for a person who is supposed to govern a country? You're not electing him to be captain of the debate club. You're electing him to build roads, to prepare for the coming climate change. To cap prices on drugs. To deal with student debts. And despite him not looking great in debates, how the fuck you gonna choose 34 felony count Trump (from just one out of a bazillion cases) over somebody who during his administration has demonstrably put in a shit ton of work, and just gotten shit done?

(don't mean to derail by mentioning Israel, if so, I apologize, won't mention it again in this thread. But mentioning Biden's achievements without his very big fuck up seems weird)

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Should have really played it up and gone with the whole Willy Wonka needs a cane to walk bit

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
How many people will see this compared to last night's debate? That's the problem.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The sign language guy was having a good time:
eo0jZf7.gif

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've reached the acceptance stage at this point. I live in a blood red state so voting Democrat is like pissing on a house fire at this point, but it's all I can really do.

I disagree with Biden on a lot of things, but he's a better president for this country than Trump ever was or would be, and if the voting public is too willfully stupid to realize that, what else can anyone really do?

If Trump wins, that's a horrendous nightmare we'll all have to endure, but that's how the system just works I guess, despite how broken it may be.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
At the end of the day, he just had a bad day. Whether it was due to age, tiredness or just being generally worn down due the week's works. It happens and happens more and more once you hit old age.

He just happened to have a bad day on a very important day

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I could see the tell the truth clip being played as a contrast to last night on coverage later today. Just shows one off night at the worst time.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I've reached the acceptance stage at this point. I live in a blood red state so voting Democrat is like pissing on a house fire at this point, but it's all I can really do.

I disagree with Biden on a lot of things, but he's a better president for this country than Trump ever was or would be, and if the voting public is too willfully stupid to realize that, what else can anyone really do?

If Trump wins, that's a horrendous nightmare we'll all have to endure, but that's how the system just works I guess, despite how broken it may be.

That encapsulates how I am feeling and I am also in a red state, though I still plan to vote down ballot. I stressed out so much over the 2016 and 2020 elections and I can't bring myself to do it again, so I'm just mentally preparing myself for Trump to take it. It's out of my control. Hopefully things go well in the Congressional races, regardless.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I'd think a President of the USA should be composed when in pressure situations.
I think being able to come up with a speech under a 1 minute time limit while having to deal with a cold and a speech impedement requires a different set of skills than most important situations.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Something that lives in my head rent-free is the delusional cope that I saw from posters at the old place regarding Hillary Clinton having the election 'in the bag' and being the best possible candidate and I'm already seeing the same vibes now. Biden is so utterly cooked I just cannot with the notion that people think hes fine / gonna be fine for November.