• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
your post comes across as bitch eating crackers just like that other poster said.

if a politician doing politician things pisses you off, maybe its time for a break. Like i said, just because a thread exists doesn't mean you have to comment on it. There's loads of threads where i could share a negative opinion just to be edgy, but i refrain cause doing that brings nothing of value to threads, just like your posts in this one.

If criticism of the event brings nothing of value into the thread, then that's quite worrisome to me.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I mean, it's a shallow publicity stunt. A clever and wholesome shallow publicity stunt, but calling that "empathy" is a stretch.
It's not. It's a very small gesture. Way too small to be this cynical about it. To put it another way, it's something Trump and his entire staff are incapable of doing because it wouldn't actually be a stunt. Calling it shallow is missing the point entirely.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
im-231201

Trump must be soooooo pissed.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
If it means something to them that's fine. It doesn't do anything for me at all. Maybe I'm just a cold-hearted bastard but seeing something like this actually turns me off rather than endear me to him.

I have to admit I was pretty touched with him talking to the kid with the stutter in the meet and greet line, the one that ended up getting a spot at the DNC. No idea if that was planned or not but it certainly felt real and it's probably the most human connection I've ever felt to Biden.

Something like this, though... I dunno what it is but I just feel nothing other than "stunt."
As stunts go, it requires caring enough to remember visiting these folks 8 years ago in the first place, then caring enough to remember the things he talked to them about at the time including a probably off-hand, half-joking promise, and then to decide to make that little extra effort to fulfill the promise regardless of whether anyone else there remembers it as well as he had, or cares. I mean, yeah, I can totally see why that level human connection, attentiveness and preparedness would totally be a turn-off in a presidential candidate. It certainly would be a major stunt for the other guy to pull off.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
If criticism of the event brings nothing of value into the thread, then that's quite worrisome to me.
...its a low level meet and greet event. Its what politicians should be doing on a campaign. This is basically kiss the baby, except with beer. like wtf is this even?
if thats high on your list to criticize, like i said, perhaps the problem is you.

Oct 25, 2017
...its a low level meet and greet event. Its what politicians should be doing on a campaign. This is basically kiss the baby, except with beer. like wtf is this even?
if thats high on your list to criticize, like i said, perhaps the problem is you.

You're getting mad that people are mildly criticizing the event as staged and finding it incredulous that so many here seem to be impressed by it.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
As stunts go, it requires caring enough to remember visiting these folks 8 years ago in the first place, then caring enough to remember the things he talked to them about at the time including a probably off-hand, half-joking promise, and then to decide to make that little extra effort to fulfill the promise regardless of whether anyone else there remembers it as well as he had, or cares. I mean, yeah, I can totally see why that level human connection, attentiveness and preparedness would totally be a turn-off in a presidential candidate. It certainly would be a major stunt for the other guy to pull off.
💯

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
You're getting mad that people are mildly criticizing the event as staged and finding it incredulous that so many here seem to be impressed by it.
1) im not mad
2) if you want to criticize his policy go right ahead, criticizing this is just plain dumb. You said "not criticizing it is worrisome" on what grounds? he holds no office, we're not talking about the free press asking about lying under oath or something. the biggest criticizes is that its staged. And everyone else is like no fucking shit its staged. Crack eye you got there!

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yo if it's on the basic ass level of kissing babies, where's your response to the people on the first page calling it "both fucking awesome and brilliant," "an uncanny ability to relate to regular people," "really fucking great"

it's either too petty to bother reacting to or it isn't

edit: can I just start quoting everyone on that page and replying "This is just routine political pandering. If you're bothering to make a post on this thread, there's some kind of problem with you"? i feel like i would cop a ban for hostility

Oct 25, 2017
1) im not mad
2) if you want to criticize his policy go right ahead, criticizing this is just plain dumb. You said "not criticizing it is worrisome" on what grounds? he holds no office, we're not talking about the free press asking about lying under oath or something. the biggest criticizes is that its staged. And everyone else is like no fucking shit its staged. Crack eye you got there!

Unlike your crack eye, where you misread my single-sentence post. I said that it was worrisome that it bothered you that criticism existed, not that one must criticize the thread.

Relax.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Still does not make up for the inexcusable shit he says and believe
Are you fucking kidding me with this take? Where the fuck have you been for the last 4 years?

DO YOU KNOW WHO THE SITTING PRESIDENT IS AND WHAT HE DOES ON A DAILY FUCKING BASIS?!

Joe Biden is a decent human being. I wish I lived in the US so I could vote for him and get the current shitstain of a President the hell out of anything resembling power. He wouldn't have been my first choice, but God, he isn't a bad one either. Especially when compared to Agent Orange - It's either Joe or the shitstain.

I hope there are less people like you in November. With Covid being enough of an issue as it is, I couldn't take 4 more years of Trump.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) im not mad
not being impressed by an obvious political stunt isn't even criticism. it's simply stating that you're getting nothing out of it. good for you if you do, i guess?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Legitimately believe this moment could have secured Biden's victory on election night. Depending on how viral it goes. Americans love this stuff.

I, of course, as a rational, policy-focused lib (🙄🙄🙄) care more about the platform and the proposals and the plans. But in all seriousness, it genuinely shows that he or someone on his team cares and is paying attention. Biden genuinely seems to care about people and doesn't just do a better job of pretending to care about people, than the other guy.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
what, you dont think biden was just randomly traveling around with a six pack
Oh look, the usual suspects are here to shit all over this thread.
please spare the rest of us.

you know you don't have to click on every thread published on resetera.
Make sure you don't vote shame them!

I needed this, thank you

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
So every verbal gaffe he makes is evidence of his mental decline but remembering a promise made 8 years ago is an unimpressive staged publicity stunt. Funny how that works....

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you don't think this wasn't staged, right?
What part, the visit itself? Of course. Or the part where he actually bothered to remember visiting them years ago and had made an offhand promise at the time, just so he could specifically come back 8 years later and stage this visit? I mean, if you want to call all of that staged, it's still pretty impressive to have had the presence of mind to play the long game like that.

Oct 25, 2017
What part, the visit itself? Of course. Or the part where he actually bothered to remember visiting them years ago and had made an offhand promise at the time, just so he could specifically come back 8 years later and stage this visit? I mean, if you want to call all of that staged, it's still pretty impressive to have had the presence of mind to play the long game like that.

I think a more accurate summation is that he has staff who saw a great opportunity to point out that he promised to bring beer, and it made for a great photo op.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good boi Joe. What a feel good moment! This man will be president in November FOR SURE.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you understand the difference between staged and planned? If my mother-in-law tells me she loves grapes, and a year later when I visit her with grapes, that's planned, not staged.

I'm explaining that, in all likelihood, it was not Biden's empathy or whatever that spurred this, but rather those around him who helped him remember this promise.