Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
President Biden slapped tariffs on $18 billion of imports of goods from China including electric vehicles, semiconductors and medical products to protect U.S. workers and companies in the strategic sectors and punish China for unfair trade practices.

Biden is also keeping in place the tariffs that former President Donald Trump had placed on more than $300 billion of imports from China.

Biden said the move would keep heavily subsidized Chinese products from rolling over domestic industries he is hoping to foster.

"Folks, look: I'm determined that the future of electric vehicles will be made in America, by union workers, period," Biden said.

The new tariffs come as Biden pushes forward to implement three pieces of legislation that contain hundreds of billions of subsidies to boost the domestic manufacturing and clean energy sectors — and ahead of a presidential election where trade and jobs will again be an issue.
Some increases will take place this year. They include tariffs of:

• 100% on electric vehicles, up from 25%
  • 50% on solar cells, up from 25%
  • 25% on lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles, and battery parts, up from 7.5%
  • 25% on certain critical minerals, up from zero
  • 25% on steel and aluminum products, up from a range of zero to 7.5%
  • 50% on semiconductors, up from 25%, by 2025
  • 25% on other lithium-ion batteries, by 2026
  • 25% on natural graphite and permanent magnets, up from zero, by 2026

VibrantStorm

May 11, 2021
As a european, I understand that the president of the united states wants to protect the companies IN the united states... China does the same and are even worse, they didnt even allow foreign company to build any car factories in china.

Europe will soon also start adding tariffs for Chinese cars.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
As a european, I understand that the president of the united states wants to protect the companies IN the united states... China does the same and are even worse, they didnt even allow foreign company to build any car factories in china.

Ehh will see about that.
Europe is full of incompetent people, so i'm expecting some disaster class.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
not american, but a renewable future can't have its true cost hidden by a heavily subsidised regime

VibrantStorm

May 11, 2021
Ehh will see about that.
Europe is full of incompetent people, so i'm expecting some disaster class.
Europe is already a disaster. Take for instance the Netherlands where I live. they fucked up so bad that we now HAVE TO PAY for the energy we return back to the grid from our solar panels because the infrastructure of the netherlands cant handle the electricity growth... So now, we are all just turning on equipment and running things non stop so we dont have to pay for the electricity which we dont use.

Doesn't China produce most of the parts for and some of our solar panels?

Yet it hurts American consumers.
yup that is true.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018

America is a spreadsheet and service economy now, not an industrial one. We have to get our steel and shit from China no matter what.

Karew

Jul 5, 2022

The problem is the outcomes of our protectionist policies have not been in favor of consumers. Things have only gotten more expensive and unaffordable, especially cars.

Jan 29, 2018
I thought even US-made solar panels largely depend on Chinese-made solar cells, so that kind of sucks for solar adoption.

Duck Sauce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Those are most likely manufactured in Taiwan by TSMC so they won't be a part of this.

sigh-of-relief-366-x-294-gif-ys7pbpoht3haiq1f.gif

Mar 7, 2020
USA
guessing you weren't around when china was happy offer cheap 5G dominance?

Yet congress can't spend 4 billion dollars to replace all the chinese parts 4 years later.

www.resetera.com

4 years ago, FCC and congress banned Huawei and ZTE networking equipment

4 years ago, FCC and congress banned the use of Huawei and ZTE networking equipment due to national and economic security. Let's see how it's been working out. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/05/us-plan-to-purge-huawei-from-telecom-networks-stalled-by-funding-shortfall/ Apparently...

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Both.

Corporations don't have to make massive profits and when they do, they don't have to keep them they can give them to workers.
Well, "both" is not going to happen.

Ford, for instance, loses 60k per EV they make; GM only hopes to make margin by next year; China has zero worker protections and uses slave labor; Tesla isn't unionized - so not really sure what sort of setup you're referring to where "both" works out.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Personally, the West should've instituted massive tariffs on Chinese products around, oh, the middle of the year 1989.
Probably too late now.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
So do people want cheap goods or worker protections?

Pick a lane.

Hard for other manufacturers to start up if they are competing against heavily subsidized state companies.

Yeah. I agree that worker protections are more important. The comments on this Ars Technica piece get down into the weeds of issues about what is protectionism, what is anti-dumping measures, and so forth. China massively subsidizing its industries far beyond what the U.S. does, in order to dump things such as solar panels, electric vehicles, and semiconductors in other markets, is something that can cost a lot of jobs.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good move, it's necessary for domestic manufacturing to get a foothold in these key industries. Much better to promote local manufacturing than to try to get them to bring their manufacturing here a la Foxconn.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Well, "both" is not going to happen.

Ford, for instance, loses 60k per EV they make; GM only hopes to make margin by next year; China has zero worker protections and uses slave labor; Tesla isn't unionized - so not really sure what sort of setup you're referring to where "both" works out.

Doesn't it lose that much because it's changing how its factories make cars because it's not the same process?

I want worker protections at Tesla as well.

Why can't the US massively invest in car companies, to bring down prices, like China does?

Free market, like speech, doesn't mean free from consequences.

Sure but the ones feeling the consequences are the consumers. I'd imagine folks would want a cheap EV.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
The only problem with this measure, is that we really should do something about climate change, and this isn't going to help...

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Doesn't it lose that much because it's changing how its factories make cars because it's not the same process?

Why can't the US massively invest in car companies, to bring down prices, like China does?

Sure but the ones feeling the consequences are the consumers. I'd imagine folks would want a cheap EV.
You're forgetting American workers in this equation. Biden isn't. Obviously this is a ploy to attract certain voters who might be on the fence. But it's not unjustified.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This really does nothing to deter buying from China, tariffs in large part only raise our prices as most manufacturers have no alternative to China. My old company for example had every single item we used in our factory using Chinese part, and we still had to get stuff from China as it was the only source for some things, or still cheapest source. Instead it doubled the price on every item we made.

Putting these tariffs does nothing but line their pockets with tariff money as we all pay higher prices, and most simply aren't going to "buy American", because our manufacturing sucks. And American sources aren't gonna pop up overnight, and in the cases you can buy from an American company, its still usually cheaper to buy overseas somewhere else.

Even with growing American industries, most of them are years away from being able to handle capacity of what is needed. So again, companies are just raising prices and still buying Chinese or going elsewhere.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We did that in 2008, and have been doing this with Tesla for years, and look where those companies are now. If your policy is going to result in executives lining their own pockets it looks a hell of a lot better to do it as indirectly as possible. And obviously anything like that requires Congress while tariffs can be done by the executive branch

Karew

Jul 5, 2022

The funny thing is we do invest quite a bit, though probably not as much as China. Obama literally bailed out the entire industry.

It's just none of our massive subsidies result in better/cheaper products for some reason.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

Sure. They want both.

We did that in 2008, and have been doing this with Tesla for years, and look where those companies are now. If your policy is going to result in executives lining their own pockets it looks a hell of a lot better to do it as indirectly as possible.

Put stipulations on the money being used to lower prices. Nationalize it for all I care.

How can China and other countries reduce prices by heavily subsidizing things but the U.S. never can for some reason?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand these are anti-dumping measures.

On the other hand, American manufacturers will have little incentive to produce affordable EVs.