• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Just forgive capitalized interest, make them dischargable in bankruptcy, get out of guaranteeing loans for college, and get the federal government to cover the difference from what states won't cover for their public universities. Do those things and this problem will slowly but surely be solved.

The government should not be issuing loans for college. Either cover the entire cost or don't bother. Whoever thought of the idea to get government backed guarantees for college loans was either evil or extremely stupid.

Last edited:

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Just forgive capitalized interest, make them dischargable in bankruptcy, get out of guaranteeing loans for college, and get the federal government to cover the difference from what states won't cover for their public universities. Do those things and this problem will slowly but surely be solved.
I think this use to be possible but not anymore? I remember an appellate case about it a few years ago too.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I think this use to be possible but not anymore? I remember an appellate case about it a few years ago too.

It hasn't been possible since the Joe Biden backed bankruptcy 'reform' bill was passed in 2006. Biden has a massive amount of responsibility for the student loan mess.

Write blank checks to universities that are guaranteed by the government and make it impossible to discharge those loans in bankruptcy. What could go wrong?!?

If the goal was to weaken the middleclass it was a masterful success. Otherwise heads should roll, with Biden being one of the guiltiest parties. If anyone is going to stick their neck out and attempt to rectify the idiocy that is the way we 'publicly' fund higher education it should be Joe Biden. If he wants to have any legacy at all it's his best shot in my opinion.

Last edited:

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't been possible since the Joe Biden backed bankruptcy 'reform' bill was passed in 2006. Biden has a massive amount of responsibility for the student loan mess.

Write blank checks to universities that are guaranteed by the government and make it impossible to discharge those loans in bankruptcy. What could go wrong?!?

If the goal was to weaken the middleclass it was a masterful success. Otherwise heads should roll, with Biden being one of the guiltiest parties. If anyone is going to stick their neck out and attempt to rectify the idiocy that is the way we 'publicly' fund higher education it should be Joe Biden. If he wants to have any legacy at all it's his best shot in my opinion.
No lies detected

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I hate when people try to use politics to play with people's lives.
What do you think the basis of politics is? It's always been the have's vs. the have-not's, but in the U.S., they have turned it into red vs. blue putting the have-not's against one another while the haves laugh to the bank. Politics 101. Both Dems and Republicans are rich and poor, but only the poor get caught up in the political machine.

We love to say that the system is broken, but it's not. It's brilliant if you are rich and it's working as intended.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My prediction: This pause keeps getting extended every 6 months until Spring/Summer 2024 when Biden finally cancels it during the election to woo Millenials to come out and vote.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully those stupid "remember to pay us starting on Jan 31st :D " emails will fucking stop.
Yes please.

Also, do what you said you were going to do so that it doesn't look so blatantly like you duped people into voting for you.

I know debt cancellation will just continue to be held hostage as some sort of election trump card, if it even happens at all.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
It's a "without unilateral executive action your presidency will have achieved almost nothing, please god do something, anything" thing.

why do people keep ignoring everything else he has done? We just infrastructure passed after like a decade of talking about it for example.

this is still year one of four as well. Yet people act as if it's year seven or eight.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be happy if he just lowered the interest rate. Right now it's hovering around 7%. It's too high.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I'll take that for now
why do people keep ignoring everything else he has done? We just infrastructure passed after like a decade of talking about it for example.

this is still year one of four as well. Yet people act as if it's year seven or eight.

I don't think you understand election cycles and midterms. Lame duck president.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
What do you think the basis of politics is? It's always been the have's vs. the have-not's, but in the U.S., they have turned it into red vs. blue putting the have-not's against one another while the haves laugh to the bank. Politics 101. Both Dems and Republicans are rich and poor, but only the poor get caught up in the political machine.

We love to say that the system is broken, but it's not. It's brilliant if you are rich and it's working as intended.
It appears more broken to me, the idea of a political system's foundation depending on the bulk of its citizens being too stupid or unable to afford forcing it into reformation through effective protest in any fashion isn't very solid imo. Or I guess I should say its not really brilliant, feels more like a fortunate scenario you take advantage of.

If I was some kind of evil overlord, I wouldn't really bet my governance only on thinking the people are too dumb to uprise in any form.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I've "lucked" my way into my industry with only a high school diploma. More like started at the bottom and 16 years later, I make bank. I look at my position on salary.com and see the education required for this job and it's insane. Thank god, should I want to leave, I at least have my work experience and many training certificates to fall back on.

I can't imagine having a student loan payment being held over my head, while looking for job these days.

I'll never understand why education isn't free. But I guess that's a topic for a different thread.

Congrats to those that were worried about that February deadline. Let's keep hoping they keep moving it back, or forgive it all entirely.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

1. There isn't a single landlord, hospital, or grocer on earth who will accept "infrastructure" as payment.
2. Nobody gets credit for doing the bare minimum.
3. The BIF isn't even the bare minimum.

For example: the BIF includes $15 billion for removing and replacing America's lead pipes—too bad estimates put the cost of doing that at $30-60 billion.

RTX2-CUGO-1024x680.jpg

But don't worry, Biden's not going to just let 1/2-3/4 of all lead pipes stay in place: his administration's new plan is simply asking state governments to please use COVID emergency funds to replace lead pipes for him.

No, it's year one of two. Absolutely nothing is going to be passed when Republicans take back the House (and we're at the point where even keeping the Senate is looking unlikely). At that point he will truly have nothing but executive action available to him.

Biden wrote some massive checks, and nearly all the ones that directly and immediately impact people's lives are going uncashed. He could sign a thousand BIFs and it wouldn't win him a second term.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018

Infrastructure is something the federal government is supposed to be on top of and updating routinely. Not some once in a generation bill. I'll applaud him if he passes BBB.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Infrastructure is something the federal government is supposed to be on top of and updating routinely. Not some once in a generation bill. I'll applaud him if he passes BBB.

unfortuneately, it doesn't get funded on a regular basis.

take the victories you can, don't doom and gloom over because good is t the same as perfect.

As for year one of two, if you folks keep spreading that FUD and downplaying victories, yeah he's going to lose a majority in Congress.

want to get stuff done? Expand the majority, simple as that. Throwing your hands up year one that he didn't burn 100% of his political capital and somehow rule by fiat all the liberal causes into existence is utterly asinine behavior.
I suppose some people just really want conservatives back In power. Easier to play the underdog / anti establishment complex that way.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017

take the victories you can, don't doom and gloom over because good is t the same as perfect.

As for year one of two, if you folks keep spreading that FUD and downplaying victories, yeah he's going to lose a majority in Congress.

want to get stuff done? Expand the majority, simple as that. Throwing your hands up year one that he didn't burn 100% of his political capital and somehow rule by fiat all the liberal causes into existence is utterly asinine behavior.
I suppose some people just really want conservatives back In power. Easier to play the underdog / anti establishment complex that way.

Good lord are you serious with this? Spreading FUD and that's why they'll lose Congress? Miss me with that

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Infrastructure is something the federal government is supposed to be on top of and updating routinely.
Yeah, it's supposed to be that way, but reality is it isn't. And people acting like Dems don't deserve credit for being the adults in the room when the GOP is the reason infrastructure is always behind and underfunded is just another symptom of what's wrong with how voters treat the parties in this country.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the lecture about this past year but some of us are not going to jump up an down for a glorified highway bill just because you don't want to feel bad about this administration. Considering what some people are going through while the clock runs down, If he can't get anything more done in year 2, it's going to bad for turnout in November. Just the way it is.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
At least my wife's PSLF is still ticking away. These pauses count as "payments", so she's only got a few more years to deal with this shit.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
No one should have to pay a penny of student loan debt or tuition as long as tax evading billionaires exist. It's fucking absurd to claim otherwise while those leeches are camped out on vast piles of wealth without making proportional contributions to the betterment of society.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
reminder: FDR (who Biden kept invoking during his campaign) used over 3,500 executive orders during his presidency, more than twice as many as the next highest. Bidens used 71 so far. There are always more options than he lets on, its just a matter of will.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
So thankful to President Biden for saving us from that awful thing that President Biden was going to do.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Shocked he did it, but I won't complain until they start up again lol.

I bet he'll delay payment startup until after midterms.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm on death row and I keep preparing to die and they move the clock back, it's torture.... Like I like being not dead but for the love of God just cancel it

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the play is here. If he doesn't want to cancel it, then delaying it is just going to hurt him more politically.
Maybe the plan is to actually cancel most of them, but do it closer to the 2022 election?
I am hoping that is the play, cancel near mid terms, keep it fresh in peoples minds. Quite shit in the meantime though.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

want to get stuff done? Expand the majority, simple as that.
Bro, even if Democrats came out in 2022 with the exact same vote share they had in 2020 (which is not happening), they will lose the House purely through the GOP's now +13 seat gerrymandering advantage alone (and they're not even done redistricting). Throw in supremely aggressive new voter suppression laws and Biden's rotten approval numbers, and we're probably losing the Senate, too.

He's an elected official with agency, not a shitcoin you yolo'd your life's savings into.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Bro, even if Democrats came out in 2022 with the exact same vote percentage they had in 2020 (which is not happening), they will lose the House purely through the GOP's now +13 seat gerrymandering advantage alone

Lol what. Where are you getting this information because it certainly doesn't match the reality. For quite some time we've known gerrymandering would be a complete wash and current trajectory possibly suggests there being more Biden-won districts after redistricting than in 2020.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Biden should stop pausing these student loans like it's his NES and he's gotta go to school before he can beat the game and just finish it up.

HungryYellow

Alt account
Banned
Nov 11, 2021
What kind of response do you expect when your only post is a no-context drive-by, seemingly plucked from the bowels of GETTR?
How about don't respond at all if you're so politically inept that you can't understand an expression of frustration at an administration completely failing to fulfill an already mediocre campaign promise. Kindly piss off, thank you.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Lol what. Where are you getting this information because it certainly doesn't match the reality. For quite some time we've known gerrymandering would be a complete wash and current trajectory possibly suggests there being more Biden-won districts after redistricting than in 2020.

www.nytimes.com

Republicans Gain Heavy House Edge in 2022 as Gerrymandered Maps Emerge (Published 2021)

On a highly distorted congressional map that is still taking shape, the party has added enough safe House districts to capture control of the chamber based on its redistricting edge alone.

+13 probably isn't the right way to express that. They'd flipped 5 seats at the time of that article's publication, flipped one more in NC (I think) since then, and maintained their numbers but eliminated 1 Dem seat in Ohio. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong, so if you have something that says this is bs or that I can't read, please god let me have it.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
How about don't respond at all if you're so politically inept that you can't understand an expression of frustration at an administration completely failing to fulfill an already mediocre campaign promise. Kindly piss off, thank you.

Mediocre campaign promise? Lol

You realize student loan forgiveness works be one of the absolute biggest government programs of all-time by scope and financial impact to individuals, right? What planet do you live on in which that would be mediocre?

less

Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Republicans Gain Heavy House Edge in 2022 as Gerrymandered Maps Emerge (Published 2021)

On a highly distorted congressional map that is still taking shape, the party has added enough safe House districts to capture control of the chamber based on its redistricting edge alone.

+13 probably isn't the right way to express that. They'd flipped 5 seats at the time of that article's publication, flipped one more in NC (I think) since then, and maintained their numbers but eliminated 1 Dem seat in Ohio. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong, so if you have something that says this is bs or that I can't read, please god let me have it.

I can't read the article but here is Wasserman himself today: