• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Explain how BIG RED LETTERS saying 40,000 CHINESE TRAVELERS with ominous music and with spooky desaturated footage of chinese people is criticizing either Trump or the Chinese government.
I like that you change the words of the actual thing you're quoting to further support your argument. It said "40,000 TRAVELERS FROM CHINA", and temporarily restricting travel from the heart of a worldwide pandemic is not racist. It's common sense.

Last edited:

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Are the people who are saying this is not racist Chinese in origin?

This ad is going to cause lots of xenophobia and additional racist attacks against Asian people.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

This ad is going to cause lots of xenophobia and additional racist attacks against Asian people.
www.buzzfeednews.com

A Man Attacked An Asian Woman Taking Out Her Trash At Night. She Now Has Chemical Burns On Her Face And Body.

The motive behind the assault remains unclear, but reports of racist attacks against Asians in the US have skyrocketed amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Apparently this didn't happen like two weeks ago

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Another drive-by post where the OP just "I'm gonna leave this here" and doesn't comment.

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Do you think the fucking rubes who hoot and holler at this ad can tell the difference? I feel more mortal terror every single day just living with this fucking shite going around.

the rubes you are talking about are being told that Biden is a secret Chinese spy and that Obama funded the evil China lab that created the virus.

This ad is tame as shit (and completely factual) compared to the garbage already coming out from the right.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I won't speculate on the content of this ad, but I'm aware that the current party in power/current administration absolutely is running on a strategy of "China is bad and its people are bad". We know that because the current president literally has said things to this effect, calling it The "Chinese virus" and so on.

How can the opposing party reference the Chinese government and the current president and illustrate any relevant issues they caused with the pandemic inarguably hurting everyone worldwide without directly or indirectly potentially hurting anyone who might be Asian? It must be possible, so I'm curious if anyone here has thoughts on that (especially those saying the ad is racist).

Clearly the opposing party has to be able to address the coronavirus, the administration response, the Chinese government response, but it's also clear the messaging has to thread some kind of needle.

Oct 27, 2017
There is value in saying an equivalent to "The Chinese Government" instead of simply "China" or "The Chinese."
If you don't see that, please think about it.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
the rubes you are talking about are being told that Biden is a secret Chinese spy and that Obama funded the evil China lab that created the virus.

This ad is tame as shit (and completely factual) compared to the garbage already coming out from the right.
The fact that their strategy is to play into some kind of Anti-Chinese rhetorical arms race is just going to lead to a bipartisan Anti-Chinese sentiment which is going to not be pretty for any person of Asian descent in America.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There is value in saying an equivalent to "The Chinese Government" instead of simply "China" or "The Chinese."
If you don't see that, please think about it.
The specific point in the ad was to criticize Trump's lack of follow through with his own ban--hence the traveler's from China point. It's not to blame China.

It's to show the incompetence of the current administration.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019

Question then, when is it okay to criticize the PRC? If not after their dishonesty helped spread a pandemic then when?
(And please dont' give me some crap about how "your government didn't do anything!" There's a huge difference in being idiots and not realizing the severity of a situation and having the facts and then hiding them.)

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Explain how BIG RED LETTERS saying 40,000 CHINESE TRAVELERS with ominous music and with spooky desaturated footage of chinese people is criticizing either Trump or the Chinese government.

Yup, it's basically this:
iXKxzPm.jpg

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I'm sorry you don't want to vote for Biden, but this isn't racist, and you're being obtuse in your read of this ad.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Gotta get more racist and completely abandon victims.That will help shore up the base.
ny.eater.com

Racist Graffiti Scrawled on Michelin-Starred West Village Korean Restaurant Jeju

"Stop eating dogs," said the graffiti, an incident that owner Douglas Kim called unsurprising due to the rise in anti-Asian harassment during the COVID-19 crisis

love to continue down this line of rhetoric from people here, should I keep posting these news pieces?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
The fact that their strategy is to play into some kind of Anti-Chinese rhetorical arms race is just going to lead to a bipartisan Anti-Chinese sentiment which is going to not be pretty for any person of Asian descent in America.

I understand its a fine needle to thread, but surely you're not suggesting that Biden just..unilaterally disarm? I'll concede Biden should be clear its the government he is talking about, but this ad is factual and for him to not use Trump's own words and actions against him (Trump praising the Chinese government earlier in the year so as to not wreck a trade deal) would be political malpractice.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

"Compared to the garbage coming from the right"
Why does everything have to be compared to the right? If someone makes a racist ad there's instantly someone in here saying "not as bad as trump tho".

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Question then, when is it okay to criticize the PRC? If not after their dishonesty helped spread a pandemic then when?
(And please dont' give me some crap about how "your government didn't do anything!" There's a huge difference in being idiots and not realizing the severity of a situation and having the facts and then hiding them.)

In a situation like this when a lot of the population is predisposed to act like racist idiots, you need an ad like this to be a lot more carefully worded and laid out to make it clear where you are pointing at. There's nothing wrong with criticizing the Chinese government, but you have to be abundantly clear about that.

I think the ad does a poor job of that. And you can say that's on the people who are dumb and misinterpret it, but I also think there's something to be said for a candidate like this being more careful about messaging.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

You can criticize them for the pandemic without stoking the fires for racism against Asian Americans in this country. We've already had Trump try to pin this on the Chinese government and it has led to an increase in racist attacks on Asians here. So now we have both parties stoking hatred against Asians, and one of them is supposed to be our ally?

By the way, my "government" is the US. I am an American citizen. Don't be a racist.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I dont see nothing wrong with the ad in another timeline, but with the narrative of China did this intentionally pushed by conservatives, the rise of racist attacks, and the fact this is also a Trump talking point.. its a bad look since it aligns perfectly with those same views.

They should have known to made sure the tone didn't so easily as the above, so it makes me think it's a dogwhistle. In this environment you should have known what you are doing.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Why does everything have to be compared to the right? If someone makes a racist ad there's instantly someone in here saying "not as bad as trump tho".

First, I am not at all conceding this is a racist ad. I do not think it is.

Second, I'm comparing it to Trump because they are running against each other and Trump is making a desperate play to attack Biden on this issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I won't speculate on the content of this ad, but I'm aware that the current party in power/current administration absolutely is running on a strategy of "China is bad and its people are bad". We know that because the current president literally has said things to this effect, calling it The "Chinese virus" and so on.

How can the opposing party reference the Chinese government and the current president and illustrate any relevant issues they caused with the pandemic inarguably hurting everyone worldwide without directly or indirectly potentially hurting anyone who might be Asian? It must be possible, so I'm curious if anyone here has thoughts on that (especially those saying the ad is racist).

Clearly the opposing party has to be able to address the coronavirus, the administration response, the Chinese government response, but it's also clear the messaging has to thread some kind of needle.

It's fine to attack the Chinese government. Obviously not fine to attack the Chinese citizens.

This ad makes no mention of the ethnicity of the travelers in question - it is purely pointing out the hypocrisy of Trump touting his travel ban as his big brilliant move, but 40,000 "travelers" (doesn't say chinese people specifically) were still let in from China after the ban was enacted. It's merely highlighting the risk of his poor decision making and lies, not directly saying that Chinese people entering the US is bad.

It criticizes Trump and it criticizes his talking points about the Chinese government. At no point is it directly targeting Chinese people.

Oct 26, 2017
Criticizing the CPC is perfectly fine but this ad seems to be putting the blame on regular chinese folk just a bit too much.

Dems too scared to call out Xi or any of the ruling party in China, probably. Pretty weak moves.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the thread shouldn't start on the premise of comparing just how racist they are by declaring this is more racist than Trump and his ads?

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
The ad may not be racist, but the message isn't clear enough, leaves room for minsinterpretation by the public, that may result in an increase of xenophobic attacks.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
It's always the evil foreigner at the root of America's woes.

Signed,
Evil foreigner (always at the root of America's woes)

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It criticizes Trump and it criticizes his talking points about the Chinese government. At no point is it directly targeting Chinese people.

Since its clear I'm going to be called a racist for I guess defending this ad, I agree that the Biden team should change the wording to make clear any criticisms are directed at its government.

OP
OP
water_wendi

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
www.thedailybeast.com

Stabbing of Asian-American 2-Year-Old and Her Family Was a Virus-Fueled Hate Crime: Feds

Federal authorities say a Texas teenager stabbed three individuals in a Sam’s Club this month because “he thought the family was Chinese and infecting people with the coronavirus.”

Trump calling it the China virus is bad ofc but when a democrat is inciting animosity towards a targeted group? all fine and dandy
Yes everyone that criticizes China for their bungling and obfuscation that led to the ongoing global pandemic is racist and is leading the charge for attacks against Asians.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Since its clear I'm going to be called a racist for I guess defending this ad, I agree that the Biden team should change the wording to make clear any criticisms are directed at its government.

It's not a great ad (Dems are awful at messaging - why is this so long?) and they were certainly aiming at both governments, but they could always be more clear yeah. Always better safe than sorry, and I can't blame anyone for seeing it that way.

Claiming Biden is more racist than Trump because of this ad, after what Trump did yesterday? Sucks to see. We're always downplaying Islamophobia from both Trump and China.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It is intentionally designed to stoke xenophobic sentiments. People are being obtuse. I hope the people who are dismissing this are atleast asian because it's not a good look otherwise.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
In a situation like this when a lot of the population is predisposed to act like racist idiots, you need an ad like this to be a lot more carefully worded and laid out to make it clear where you are pointing at.

I think the ad does a poor job of that. And you can say that's on the people who are dumb and misinterpret it, but I also think there's something to be said for a candidate like this being more careful about messaging.
I genuinely disagree, I thought the ad showed the facts. Will racist shitbags use it for their own purposes? I doubt it, they're already being fed legitimacy by Trump and his buddies. And at one point we citizens need to hold governments around the world responsible for the hundreds of thousands or more that will die from this shit, because it was absolutely something that could have been if not prevented then mitigated.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yes everyone that criticizes China for their bungling and obfuscation that led to the ongoing global pandemic is racist and is leading the charge for attacks against Asians.
this isn't criticising china it's inciting animosity towards a specific racial group, i'm sorry that when I watch that ad I feel like i'm watching some yellow peril shit, am I not allowed to feel this way as an asian person?
Like theres a reason most of the Asian people i know on this site fucked off a long time ago, this place won't listen to us

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I do wish we would get away from the going after China stuff. Did the government handle the pandemic well? No, but half of America's population can't make the distinction between the Chinese government and the Chinese people, and such rhetoric will just lead to further hate crimes against Asians of all heritage.

The posters calling it racist have a point- this sort of ad is clearly designed to stoke resentment against an outside Other, which is stupid. We as a country need to focus on our own shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
this isn't criticising china it's inciting animosity towards a specific racial group, i'm sorry that when I watch that ad I feel like i'm watching some yellow peril shit, am I not allowed to feel this way as an asian person?
Like theres a reason most of the Asian people i know on this site fucked off a long time ago, this place won't listen to us

Nope they should have been more clear in their messaging. You're not wrong for seeing it that way.

Doesn't make Biden more racist than Trump though lol

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I understand what they were going for, but they could have done it far better than that.

Should instead focus on how you'll make people safe going forward rather than zeroing in on how it started.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boy, this place is really falling all over itself to make "Biden is as bad as Trump" a thing. Whatever makes you feel better, I guess.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I do wish we would get away from the going after China stuff. Did the government handle the pandemic well? No, but half of America's population can't make the distinction between the Chinese government and the Chinese people, and such rhetoric will just lead to further hate crimes against Asians of all heritage.

The posters calling it racist have a point- this sort of ad is clearly designed to stoke resentment against an outside Other, which is stupid. We as a country need to focus on our own shit.

I'm not trying to be a broken record, but Trump plans on making this his central case for reeleection. Biden can't just ignore it. Or he will lose and we get 4 more years of Trump.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
CCP run China is too deceptive and can't be trusted in any way. Allowing independent monitors to witness the real truth is common sense. Nothing Biden says here is wrong. A hardline against China is critical these days. The CCP is having more and more success exporting thier censorship and control, with company after company bending the knee and all of it needs to stop.

The problem is that regardless of how you tackle this issue there is always going to be a way to spin this is into xenophobia. It's a struggle but at the end of the day the world pressuring China to be better and more transparent will catagorically improve the lives of the Chinese. The truth is no one hates and fears the Chinese people more than the CCP.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The ad may not be racist, but the message isn't clear enough, leaves room for minsinterpretation by the public, that may result in an increase of xenophobic attacks.

I tend to agree. The ad's not intentionally racist, but Biden could have pointed out Trump's incompetence on the domestic front in handling COVID rather than focusing on China.

Status
Not open for further replies.