Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So we really playing as Ethan again, huh?

I'm not opposed to first person, but he was so wasted in VII I can't see him being a big draw for the series. As a one-off he was fine, but recurring? Urgh.

Hopefully they advance him/his story quite a bit.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the 'biggest departure' game from the rumors? This looks like standard RE stuff.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know how Chris became so popular. What is it that people like about him more than most other characters in this series, including Leon?

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chris himself is a prime example, in RE1 he's just essentially a competent swat cop who is able to survive the mansion, next time we see him? Motherfucker is so cool he can just hop in a random fighter jet at a moments notice and take off. Next time we see him? Motherfucker is punching 30,000 pound boulders around like that's a plausible thing and now (conveniently skips drunk Chris in 6) apparently he's

It was written in RE1 that Chris was a pilot and even had a temper. This temper of his was in RE2 in one if the files.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if...
PkAZWbS.png

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they bring back multiple weapons per type/class and weapon upgrading(and yes, the merchant too of course 😉 ) if they are bringing back inventory tetris. Mine launcher's time to shine again, baybee!

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chris sucks. He's the inferior protagonist in every single game he's in.
Well, that's definitely my opinion. I didn't mind him in RE and CVX, but I certainly didn't clamor for him. If anything, every appearance of Leon has been fantastic, especially RE4. Chris has always been very boring to me, especially when they went in the direction of making him a meathead to up him being a badass.

In fact, the other character of Wesker who most people seem to love is also another person I really dislike in this franchise outside of RE1 and 0. He's just a lame ass.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know how Chris became so popular. What is it that people like about him more than most other characters in this series, including Leon?
Chris is extremely popular with people on the production teams being from the original game,
Chris was in the game that sold the best in the series by far
Chris had a rivalry with Wesker

Chris and Jill are my legitimate first thought when characters within zombie media comes to mind.
Claire is boring as hell or mostly irrelevant and Leon was cool in just 1 game(RE4)

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chris is extremely popular with people on the production teams being from the original game,
Chris was in the game that sold the best in the series by far
Chris had a rivalry with Wesker

Chris and Jill are my legitimate first thought when characters within zombie media comes to mind.
Claire is boring as hell or mostly irrelevant and Leon was cool in just 1 game(RE4)
Guess we'll disagree then. I don't see what's cool about the appearances Chris makes in any of his games. As I said, I appreciate him in the first game because it was his first foray into the story, but that's also why I enjoy Leon in RE2, who I think had a stronger first appearance compared to Chris and eventually an even better evolution of character. After that Chris developed in such an unappealing way to me.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really think that Chris is THAT popular... he had the lowest ranking out of the main characters in the poll made last year here in ERA.

Capcom on the other hand seems to be infatuated with him or Leon (who's almost on par with Jill's popularity, sometimes he wins other times, she wins)

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019

I'll just fire off some bullet points:
  • He's been in the series since the first game, so there's that initial attachment to the character a lot of fans have.
  • Chris is arguably the most dedicated of the bunch in stopping Bioterrorism, and the foil to Albert Wesker.
  • His role in Code Veronica won a lot of fans over, as the big brother coming to protect his little sister from the baddies.
  • He's good looking, so points for that.
  • As far as meme material goes, Chris has given some of the best shit in the series.
a8e02b1c14a878cc3f7d4701178d1c89bb3ca788_00.gif

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Chris is my MVP when it comes to RE. When I think of RE, I think it Chris REdfield.

It seems Capcom respects the character as well.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  • He's been in the series since the first game, so there's that initial attachment to the character a lot of fans have.
  • Chris is arguably the most dedicated of the bunch in stopping Bioterrorism, and the foil to Albert Wesker.
  • His role in Code Veronica won a lot of fans over, as the big brother coming to protect his little sister from the baddies.
  • As far as meme material goes, Chris has given some of the best shit in the series.
Lmao
Perfect and True Post.

And I'll add

tumblr_otapaavhCX1thcic4o4_r3_250.gif

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds interesting. I don't mind bringing Ethan back. I assume this will be an FPS again, feels fitting to do these with the same protagonist

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
I don't really think that Chris is THAT popular... he had the lowest ranking out of the main characters in the poll made last year here in ERA.

Capcom on the other hand seems to be infatuated with him or Leon (who's almost on par with Jill's popularity, sometimes he wins other times, she wins)

Are you referring to this?
www.resetera.com

Resetera's Ultimate Resident Evil Character Ranking -- Results Revealed!

THE RESETERA RESIDENT EVIL COMMUNITY PRESENTS: Welcome, stranger! The Resident Evil saga has been going on for decades, and is still one of the most iconic and successful franchises out there. This beloved series rose to popularity immediately, and even after all these years has managed to...

On that thread, Chris ranked #3 with Leon #2 and Jill #1.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This game sounds like a wet dream, RE3.5 ideas finally & yeah Chris looks odd in 7, it's good they are changing him.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Yup, why even bother.

Probably the first RE I skip, i'll watch the Chris stuff on YouTube.
I won't skip it but Ethan sucks. Have we learned anything about him since 7's release that makes him anything but a blank character?
People talk about how the old cast had this issue... when they never did, we at least had some backstory to them. Even Mia in 7 had something.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I can't really explain why I like him, but I guess it's because I started Resident Evil with REmake and RE5. But I honestly don't think he's more boring than other RE protagonists.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it depends on when someone took the plunge into the series. For me, I started with RE2 and then moved onto RE4. Maybe my opinion would've developed differently had I played the other entries first and had exposure to Chris before Leon, but even if I had, just thinking about both characters, I seriously can't identify anything more appealing about him than Leon. I really can't.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I thought RE7 was a pretty good game, but after playing RE2 Remaster and looking forward to getting into RE3 remastered, I'm much more excited for "classic" RE experiences, whether that's remakes or new entries with T-virus zombie enemies.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Are you referring to this?
www.resetera.com

Resetera's Ultimate Resident Evil Character Ranking -- Results Revealed!

THE RESETERA RESIDENT EVIL COMMUNITY PRESENTS: Welcome, stranger! The Resident Evil saga has been going on for decades, and is still one of the most iconic and successful franchises out there. This beloved series rose to popularity immediately, and even after all these years has managed to...

On that thread, Chris ranked #3 with Leon #2 and Jill #1.
My mistake!! I would have swore that Claire ranked better than Chris... my memories betrayed me lol
Well, can't argue with that, I just want to see other characters (yes, mainly Jill because we haven't seen her in ages in the timeline and because I'm biased hahah)

Oct 25, 2017
Chris himself is a prime example, in RE1 he's just essentially a competent swat cop who is able to survive the mansion, next time we see him? Motherfucker is so cool he can just hop in a random fighter jet at a moments notice and take off. Next time we see him? Motherfucker is punching 30,000 pound boulders around like that's a plausible thing and now (conveniently skips drunk Chris in 6) apparently he's pulling the ultimate heel turn in 8.

Chris' backstory was always that he was formally in the US Air Force before being discharged for helping an ally in need.
Barry who was in the Air Force with him talked him into joining STARS

Series even makes it a recurring element
CV
latest

5 was going to have one
latest

RE6
maxresdefault.jpg

They even reference it with a Mercenaries costume
latest

Last edited:

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it depends on when someone took the plunge into the series. For me, I started with RE2 and then moved onto RE4. Maybe my opinion would've developed differently had I played the other entries first and had exposure to Chris before Leon, but even if I had, just thinking about both characters, I seriously can't identify anything more appealing about him than Leon. I really can't.

While Leon was busy being a rookie RPD officer, Chris literally was having an Europe "vacation". The man was hunting down Umbrella, but had to come back to save his sister. He's the man.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this, with the sole exception of Chris, sounds like gold.

Isn't it kinda early for sf6

Support for SF5 is basically done at this point. SF6 a year from now would basically be the same scenario as SF5 coming off 4.

I don't get the hate for Ethan.

His reactions the insane shit going on in RE7 was gold.

People forget Chris, Jill, Wesker, Barry, Leon, Claire, Sherry and Ada didn't get much more development in their first outings either.

Last edited:

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
My mistake!! I would have swore that Claire ranked better than Chris... my memories betrayed me lol
Well, can't argue with that, I just want to see other characters (yes, mainly Jill because we haven't seen her in ages in the timeline and because I'm biased hahah)

I was actually surprised Leon didn't rank #1 and Claire ranked fairly low.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Chris' backstory was always that he was formally in the US Air Force before being discharged for helping an ally in need.
Barry who was in the Air Force with him talked him into joining STARS

It was written in RE1 that Chris was a pilot and even had a temper. This temper of his was in RE2 in one if the files.

I'm more than aware guys, but just because you are a pilot and were in the air force doesn't mean you can just hop in any jet and take off at a moments notice without any familiarity. The jet he happens to get in requires more extensive training than any other aircraft at the time due to it's unique vtol capabilities. My point is that he was a relatively grounded character in the first game, the next time he's basically an action movie star, specifically just like Arnold Schwarzenegger in True Lies who is just so cool that he happens to just know how to operate one of the most complicated vehicle platforms on the planet without training and hops in a jet at a moments notice. (Which hilariously is also a Harrier in that flick and I don't think it's a coincidence because Steve also does a pose at one point with the same guns and pose that Arnie uses in the film)

One game he's grounded, the next he's an action movie character is all I was trying to say, doesn't bother me in the slightest I think it's fun and I don't see why we couldn't see Ethan grow into a different role just like every other notable character in RE has.

Last edited:

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Im down, i like every new RE taking influence from popular horror trops...

Until they do killer clowns anyway

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Kill off Chris. Do it Capcom.
Joking, but not really. Playing through the og games really puts into perspective how the characters got progressively more and more ridiculous as the series progressed. It's time for a batch of fresh new characters, keep the old guard as support characters or kill them off. I don't think the superheroes they basically are now have any place being the protagonists of modern RE games considering the series is taking a turn to a more horror-focused experience again.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Even though I love the character, what I will say against Chris, is that nowadays he's often associated with the more action oriented parts of Resident Evil. RE5/6 and then the Not A Hero DLC in RE7. Which....to be fair makes sense. Chris post Code Veronica is essentially Captain America by that point. Dude is a straight up super soldier, so you can't put him in the same scenario as someone like Ethan for example. If Chris were in Ethan's place in RE7, the game would've lasted 10 minutes.

I think this goes for pretty much any of the OG heroes by this point. So future sequels like RE8 and RE9 will probably continue to have Ethan or new characters if I were to guess. If the series is continuing going the survival horror route, you can't have the OG heroes who are highly experienced and getting up their in age as the playable protagonists. That's what the Remakes are for.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so the reason fans of Resident Evil will hate this is because Chris is suddenly the new Big Bad? Call me when Jill gets cleared to return to active duty and she tracks Chris down to beat the shit out of him knock some sense into him.
I'll hate it because it stars Chris and Ethan, the two dullest characters in Resident Evil. That and the occult nonsense and supposedly first person again. I literally have heard nothing about this game that interests me actually :(

Oct 25, 2017
Joking, but not really. Playing through the og games really puts into perspective how the characters got progressively more and more ridiculous as the series progressed. It's time for a batch of fresh new characters, keep the old guard as support characters or kill them off. I don't think the superheroes they basically are now have any place being the protagonists of modern RE games considering the series is taking a turn to a more horror-focused experience again.
I'd lose any interest in the canon if they did.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'll hate it because it stars Chris and Ethan, the two dullest characters in Resident Evil. That and the occult nonsense and supposedly first person again. I literally have heard nothing about this game that interests me actually :(
Don't put my guy Ethan with Christopher, he was only cool in RE5 in a rambo like way. Ethan at least knows how to react appropiately to the situation 🤭

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Can we maybe stop getting "back from the brink" Chris? Resident Evil 5 went there and did it well enough. Resident Evil 6 went there again, took it even further and did it well. Do we really need a third run? Wasn't
Piers' death
supposed to be his final wake up call to stop moping around and finally embrace his role as a hero?

His surprise appearance in RE7 is so satisfying because you're like "oh shit, here's Chris to save the day!" Following that with the ironically titled "Not A Hero" where he is yet a-fuckin'-gain feeling loathsome until he
whacks Lucas
was already a bit absurd so now throwing a forth Chris pity party is just eye roll worthy. Let the guy be the boulder-punching, muscled up juice-head Hercules he's meant to be.
Who are you, Paul W.S. Anderson?