• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
But he can't be that oblivious right? The reason they first started to grow apart was because of his sociopathic response to letter when he first read it. He obviously still does want adoration and respect despite that rant, but that ending just makes me view that meltdown in the parking lot in a different, more sinister light.

Perhaps, he could be self-sabotaging his relationship with Kim even further but I didn't read it as a deliberate act. More like he was giddy with himself for being able to strike the right note and didn't take a second to think how it would look to Kim or that she would be moved in the same way as the review board.

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But he can't be that oblivious right? The reason they first started to grow apart was because of his sociopathic response to letter when he first read it. He obviously still does want adoration and respect despite that rant, but that ending just makes me view that meltdown in the parking lot in a different, more sinister light.

Perhaps, he could be self-sabotaging his relationship with Kim even further but I didn't read it as a deliberate act. More like he was giddy with himself for being able to strike the right note and didn't take a second to think how it would look to Kim or that she would be moved in the same way as the review board.

I think everyone is conflating his feelings towards Chuck as him being a sociopath, when in reality it isn't that he is a sociopath. He very clearly cares about Kim and obviously in breaking bad the dude is terrified of being caught and had moments of caring about people and certain things.

Hopefully I can explain my interpretation of this whole thing.

When Jimmy wanted to give the girl a second chance at the scholarship and they re-voted but it was decided no, the speech he gave her about finding a way no matter what was obviously also being directed at himself. But it wasn't just the board that he really cared about and was talking to. He broke down in his car also because he knew Chuck never loved him and that Chuck was going to win. Because he was Slippin Jimmy once he would be Slippin Jimmy forever. Jimmy's entire purpose behind becoming a lawyer was just to get some sort of recognition or proudness from his brother, maybe even when he was a kid he started scheming because he knew he could never live up to Chuck, we don't know but it could be possible. After Chuck had tried and successfully did disbar Jimmy he stopped caring about Chuck completely, it all became about who would win. The perfect lawyer Charles, or Slippin Jimmy?

Jimmy realized his brother never cared about him. The winner takes all thing at the beginning ended up being the resolve Jimmy got from all of this. In some fucked up way it's probably his last time of being able to compete and go up against his dead brother.

He tricked the board, he won. He was not certain at all if he could ever be a lawyer again, and Chuck winning was all this ended up being about. A brother vs. brother conflict. That whole spiel he gave after wasn't him trying to push Kim away or him self sabotaging himself. He won and was basically feeling himself so much that his emotion just came out. He beat Chuck, someone who was perfect and the best lawyer he had ever known. He knew now that he could conquer anything. Saul is here and would win no matter what. Everyone will hate him and think he's a crook, but it's not like they'd give him a chance anyways. You can't outrun your past so just embrace it, it's all good man.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
ezgif-5-9fafa870ffb3reiwe.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Jimmy's just out of his cage now that he thinks he has the OK from Kim to be a con-man. Like he's never farted in front of her before and she said 'Jimmy you can fart if you need to' and now he's just busting farts all over the apartment. Kim didn't know what she was unleashing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Awesome season finale. I felt both Mike and Saul took the final plunge into their career paths. Both story lines drew me in and although I kept waiting for their worlds to collide, I guess that's what the supposed final season will bring to the table. This show is incredible. Now the long wait.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
While the journey has been superbly executed, I am glad that Jimmy is finally Saul and that Mike is finally, er, Mike (not that their transformations are necessarily complete yet). I was a bit disappointed when Jimmy didn't break bad at the end of season one, but I've been as enthralled with the show as anyone over the past 4 years, so it ultimately turned out for the best. However, I do think that it was juuuuuuust slightly starting to feel like things were being stretched a bit. After 4 years I do feel like it's about time we got to see Saul in action (watching him build his brand, recruiting his henchman and secretary, working cases, etc). The Mike stuff was mostly excellent but I don't necessarily think it needed an entire season to play out - I would have liked some of that screen time given to Nacho, whom the writers keep toying with as a third main POV character before ultimately giving short shrift to every time (one of the drawbacks of having 10 episode seasons). I know they're playing the long game with him but his storylines have always been the weakest part of the series and it often feels like the writers don't know what to do with him but still need to keep him on the show because he was around during Breaking Bad.

Anyway, I thought the finale was great, with one caveat: the silly Terminator moment with Lalo. I don't like when either show indulges in comic book-y moments like that or the post-explosion necktie thing with Gus in BB.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
The mellow drama of Jimmy is laughable lol.
The only authentic Jimmy you've seen is the speech to the kid and him breaking in his car.

Kim broke at the last part. Realized what she just unleashed.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lalo did not disappoint me.... showing his skills, mentality, patience, determination, supernatural ability to get shit done and exact violence
He clearly is a threat that will challenge Team Gus

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Saul has been called!

I don't think Jimmy's speech was inauthentic. I think it was 100% genuine. I think the reason he was crying earlier is because he's taken Chuck's final advice to heart. He knows that he'll never turn around and be as good as Chuck. So he's going to embrace it. He plays off that speech as being one gigantic con because he knows what kind of monster that'll turn him into, even though the speech was genuine.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
This finale made up for the slow burn season. Definitely one of the best episodes from the BB universe.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The speech and words are sincere, but he feels NONE of it... using the truth to bullshit as a means to an end is very powerful and effective... but he doesnt need to feel it himself

Oct 26, 2017
IMHO good guy Jimmy "died" when his brother erased any illusion of belief that he thought Chuck had for him. He never came back from that.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
that was a pretty bad episode lol. i guess everything had to be tied up as fast as possible.

biggest laugh from me was the latin spiderman routine.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Guessing that next season is going to consist of:
-A chess game between Lalo and Gus that eventually leads to massive trouble for Nacho
-Kim trying to help Jimmy, failing, and deciding to become a terrible person herself
-Jimmy getting into trouble that's going to result in him advocating for murder
-Howard buys a new suit

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Haven't seen the last two episodes yet, but I'm reading something about fart jokes and I don't want to believe this is where we're at.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the more I think about it, the more I think characters like Kim and Howard are just around during Breaking Bad. Nothing is going to happen to them because Jimmy is so good at compartmentalizing Saul (though, yes, I think Kim will leave Jimmy, but she isn't going to leave Albuquerque or anything), and Breaking Bad doesn't go into his personal life.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Werner's death emotionally affected me. The man only wanted to see his beloved wife, but he went about attempting to do so in the most haphazard way possible, and ultimately paid the price for it.

His final words to her consisted of him screaming that he didn't want to see her, and that she should just go home.

That fucking hurts, man.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen the last two episodes yet, but I'm reading something about fart jokes and I don't want to believe this is where we're at.
People are comparing Jimmy showing his true colors around Kim to a couple who are comfortable enough to fart in front of each other. There were no actual fart jokes unless I missed something.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if that was the first time Mike had to execute someone, given how hesitant he was when talking to Fring.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Werner's death emotionally affected me. The man only wanted to see his beloved wife, but he went about attempting to do so in the most haphazard way possible, and ultimately paid the price for it.

His final words to her consisted of him screaming that he didn't want to see her, and that she should just go home.

That fucking hurts, man.

It's sad but his story bothered me a bit. He's a guy that's supposed to be incredibly smart yet he does something so incredibly dumb without a good reason other than feeling homesick. And its not like he was completely cut off from his wife either, they were able to keep in touch. It's just silly especially considering werner is aware of whats at stake.

Seemed like they didn't know what to do with Howard either. Guy was falling apart and then last episode he's good as new. Maybe I missed something but it felt like they didn't know what to do with his character.

Great season other than those to bits.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible show, incredible ending.

I have a lot of stuff to say, but Vince Gilligan handles character development like no ones business. It's hard to think of shows that even compare. The difference between Season 1 Jimmy, Flashback Jimmy, and Current Jimmy is simply astounding.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I wonder if that was the first time Mike had to execute someone, given how hesitant he was when talking to Fring.

Barring any future retcons, Mike's kills so far are:
-Potential kills in the army or as a police officer (he could have killed no one, but he clearly became skilled during this time)
-The two police officers (revenge for murdering his son)
-Civilian who found the tied up cartel member, and the tied up cartel member (Indirectly caused them, clearly didn't mean for the civilian to die)
-Hector (Failed attempt by Nacho, knew about the attempt and did nothing to prevent it)
And now Werner.

It's sad but his story bothered me a bit. He's a guy that's supposed to be incredibly smart yet he does something so incredibly dumb without a good reason other than feeling homesick. And its not like he was completely cut off from his wife either, they were able to keep in touch. It's just silly especially considering werner is aware of whats at stake.

Seemed like they didn't know what to do with Howard either. Guy was falling apart and then last episode he's good as new. Maybe I missed something but it felt like they didn't know what to do with his character.

Werner's a guy they met once for a job. He's clearly detail oriented and gave the worst schedule for building the lab of the two candidates we see. His estimates end up being completely off. He then gets drunk at a bar, blabbers about what he's been up to, and eventually runs away. I don't think Werner was that smart, I don't think he realized what he got himself into.

Howard got help dealing with his grief from a highly paid professional mental health therapist for a year in between those scenes. It's totally believable that he could return to acting like his former self. I think the point was to show that Jimmy wouldn't go that route because he didn't want to expose his demons, even though he clearly needed the help.

Last edited:

principal

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
The Werner stuff was some basic ass TV writing 101. Didn't do anything for me, and even the cinematography was generic as hell for BCS.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

He's smart, but also naive and sentimental, and that was his downfall. Observed from that angle, I found his demise believable. I think building the superlab was an unprecedented undertaking as well, relative to the work him and his crew have done in the past. Even anticipating the complexity of the work, and the setbacks, he was still cooped up over a long period of time, and it got to him.

Good point about Howard, I'd agree with you on that. Was his final major scene the one in which he said "Fuck you, Jimmy!"? If so, I think they were trying to convey to the audience that Jimmy's words reached him, and he "bootstrapped" HHM back into stability.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'd also like to echo the sentiment that Lalo's Spider-Man routine was laughable. Meme worthy, even. Not a significant smudge on the episode, but cartoony in a Breaking Bad Cousins sort of way, nonetheless.

I was disappointed in the fact that Nacho was absent this episode, because the way his storyline concluded this season (in the last episode), well, it felt like it just died with a whimper.

Really liked Jimmy's speech to the high school student.

Oh, and that cold open with Jimmy and Chuck singing was good too. We're four seasons into the show, and Chuck is still stealing Jimmy's thunder. lol

principal

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
I still remember the cinematography of that BCS episode with the bridge scene.

That blew me away completely.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The Lalo shit was the worst writing either this or BB has ever done. Just completely laughable.

Werner stuff was boring and predictable but well shot and acted as always. I think the writing with his plot all season was kind of implausible - he knew the people he was dealing with and he was a smart guy.

The ending was disturbing. Kim is done with him.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched episode 10 yet, but today I saw a tweet from the team saying thanks for watching the season, I had no idea it was only 10 episodes, pretty gutted.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
IMHO good guy Jimmy "died" when his brother erased any illusion of belief that he thought Chuck had for him. He never came back from that.

This.

I'm now pretty certain S5 has multiple episodes in the present day where Jimmy rediscovers his humanity, assuming it's the last season. As of the S4 ending he's now 100% Saul Goodman and I don't see much point in spending a ton of time on him setting up the office or whatever. They have to cover Kim finally leaving him but that's about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like people are overthinking the one Lalo scene since it was kinda amusing/cartoony how he dropped down on the other side of the glass. Getting into the ceiling wouldn't have taken very long with something to stand on.

Status
Not open for further replies.