• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got any sources for that?

As always my friend.

Reddit Comment Link

Imgur Screenshot in case of deletion

5kJ3wFh.jpg

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Jesus Christ this game is just one never ending trainwreck.

How can ONE game consistently garner negative press every other day for over a month past its release date?

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 76 has soured me on everything Bethesda has its hands in regardless if they have little influence or say into the games they publish, interested has wavered in thinking about purchasing any games from them.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Fair enough if they were actually cheating or spoiling the game for other players. I don't really have much faith in the accuracy of Bethesda's cheat detection though.

My entire office is still playing. The reason? It's called "Fallout". Like, that's actually their reason.
Why do I get the feeling your coworkers have never played a Fallout game before F3?

Deleted member 19782

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then fix your broken shit of game if you do not want modders doing so, Bethesda. They are not guilty of anything

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I mean, it makes sense. They have an online game with an online e-commerce system. While in principle it would be fine to let players run graphical mods, it's likely difficult on their end, to distinguish these from other types of mods.

The essay thing is odd. Bethesda should be more understanding. Obviously players are going to want to mod their game, because they're used to doing so with their other games.

The thing is this case seems to be only specific to Fallout 76.

Elder Scrolls Online for example is modder friendly, in fact the game itself has official mods folder and an add-ons option in the main menu. So the excuse that modding is frowned upon because it's an online game doesn't really make sense.

If they make an exception for ESO then what makes FO76 so different in this case?

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see. I thought they're using something like the WSGF program or a mod from Nexus which also needs a program. Because that ini tweak is not perfect, you still need a mod to properly fix it.

However, "my friend said that he's not cheating" is not a really reliable source either.

Like I said in my original post, I had read some anecdotes of people being banned for using the ultrawide fix mod.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Like, only truly competitive online games should ban for Reshade and the like.

I play Guild Wars 2 and the devs for that game are pretty ban-happy when it comes to actually exploiting the game, but they are lenient on things like Reshade, so I KNOW there is precedent.

deft

Oct 27, 2017
This seems fine? Using dll injectors like reshade in online games are almost always going to get you a ban, and for good reason.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Its like every week, there's just some bad publicity for Fallout 76
Every week people make bethesda out to be a bad guy for doing something most other games already do. Most online multiplayer games ban modders because it can be used to cheat. This further proves that people are just jumping on the hate wagon because it's the popular thing to do.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
imagine acting like a fucking elementary school teacher, that's a real good way to gain goodwill and seem like a cool developer. ace job, Bethesda.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Like I said in my original post, I had read some anecdotes of people being banned for using the ultrawide fix mod.

What is this "ultrawide fix mod"? The ini edit is no longer needed as the first patch added ultrawide support but with a stretched ui. The Imperfect 21:9 mod on Nexus is all you need now and like the first guy in your image mentions it's not a problem.

Like texhnolyze said it's most likely an external program like Flawless Widescreen that people are referring to as a mod.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is this "ultrawide fix mod"? The ini edit is no longer needed as the first patch added ultrawide support but with a stretched ui. The Imperfect 21:9 mod on Nexus is all you need now and like the first guy in your image mentions it's not a problem.

Like texhnolyze said it's most likely an external program like Flawless Widescreen that people are referring to as a mod.

I've no idea, I was just providing the receipt for my comment.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
I havent played the game, but what advantage can you have on other players in this game? The pvp is supposedly meaningless

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Every week people make bethesda out to be a bad guy for doing something most other games already do. Most online multiplayer games ban modders because it can be used to cheat. This further proves that people are just jumping on the hate wagon because it's the popular thing to do.
At this moment information isn't quite accurate or fully known, but it is clear that bans are being given out. The worry here is that they will slippery slope and ban anyone using mods that inject their own models/function changes to better the game because of their own official paint skins and booster packs. It is fair to say that the fear is warranted to a degree, but more evidence needs to be provided.

Personally I'm running glowing items, inventory filters, Country Road main menu music, ENB shader for more post-apocalyptic style, a high-res map, perk loadout and ini tweaks. We shall see if I get banned or not. Also the other problem is that this game has no economy. It has no persistent world nor does it have any player influence on it through economic gains and especially an impactful PvP for invulnerability hacking. So I don't even know what the heck hackers would be doing because there is even a built in ESP on the map itself.

KhadD

Oct 29, 2017
Bethesda just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about PC Gaming Culture (I'm an expert), but cheating is a huge part of it. It's not like it is in dumbed down console games where you can become successful by banning cheaters.

Fallout 76 is a joke,.
Pretending players getting banned for using third party software in an online game is a controversial scandal is ... weird?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but the optics here is really bad. Your games' are known for modding, you acknowledge the wealth of goodwill modding brings, you go up on stage to promote modding and you even go so far as to create an entire economy around modding and then you're like: "Nah, modding is bad, y'all"

How do other online games deal with injection mods and stuff? Im curious how other companies do it before throwing more shit at Todd who is already standing on a shitpile not from his own doing for once.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
At this moment information isn't quite accurate or fully known, but it is clear that bans are being given out. The worry here is that they will slippery slope and ban anyone using mods that inject their own models/function changes to better the game because of their own official paint skins and booster packs. It is fair to say that the fear is warranted to a degree, but more evidence needs to be provided.

Personally I'm running glowing items, inventory filters, Country Road main menu music, ENB shader for more post-apocalyptic style, a high-res map, perk loadout and ini tweaks. We shall see if I get banned or not.
General rule for online games:

+ drag n drop files are okay
- injecting / .exe files are not okay

Reshade is banned in lots of online games because it counts as an injecting program, but it's hit and miss depending on the publisher.

Sure but the optics here is really bad. Your games' are known for modding, you acknowledge the wealth of goodwill modding brings, you go up on stage to promote modding and you even go so far as to create an entire economy around modding and then you're like: "Nah, modding is bad, y'all"

How do other online games deal with injection mods and stuff? Im curious how other companies do it before throwing more shit at Todd who is already standing on a shitpile not from his own doing for once.
They didn't specifically say that modding is bad. Read the article, or at least the summary in the OP.

Bethesda games are known for their modding capabilities, yes, but not this kind of "modding". Injecting 3rd party program is not what makes Bethesda games. It's not exclusive to Bethesda games.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Cheaters cheating and distributing cheats get banned. Company requires actual effort to get ban lifted. Sounds fine to me.

Why do I get the feeling your coworkers have never played a Fallout game before F3?

Oh boy, you sure got them. They've only played the last 5 entries in the series and they're not TrUe FaNs!

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart

Depends on the game. Fortnite wouldn't load while I had Cheat Engine running in the background, other games might load but then quit if Cheat Engine is loaded.

People are claiming that just having Cheat Engine installed is a problem but I think it's more likely CE is running even if they aren't using if for the game in question.

It's common for devs to ban for the use of third party programs. ReShade for instance can be used to apply zoom which can be used for cheating.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The thread title is a bit misleading no?
Third-party app in an online multiplayer game =/= modding.

I'm glad I read first. Yeah this is different. Even if your game is broken you dont allow this sort of thing in any online game that has shared space with other gamers.

You need to fix your bugs, but """mods""" have never been allowed in online games like that, MMO's and the like.

Even graphics modifications that can be detected are banned for in online multiplayer games. I remember mods that would shade certain models in neon to make them easier to see, or enlarge the models to make them detectable through walls and easier to track/follow. So even visual mods are usually blanket banned in online games if they can be detected.