• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Switch version is superior, it's not even a question. I played with the handheld controls and had no issues.

Oct 25, 2017
What people said about undocked mode have that shitty cursor is true.

If you are playing mostly in handheld, Switch is the superior version. If you are playing mostly on TV, there is a great case for the WiiU version being best.

However, I think the Odyssey levels are so good,I would still rather have the Switch version. I played most of the game on a friend'' WiiU, and I played the 3DW levels, but to me, the Odyssey levels are better. I would absolutely rank New Donk City as the best level or area from any game that I played from 2018.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Wii U all the way. It's how the game was intended to be played.
Control scheme just doesn't work with only one screen. And the bonus content is mediocre in all versions anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

When touching on platforms you can move them, or spin wheels, turn around some stuff etc.
All of that is done with the pointer in docked mode and it's just not very good to control. Plus the pointer never comes off and it automatically triggers whenever you move the controller because of the gyro.
There's also some neat tricks with the gamepad like going into FPS view through the small screen. All of that is pointless on Switch.

Yeah I agree fully here, the Switch version could have redeemed itself by having both the Wii U bonus levels in addition to the Switch ones... Nintendo dropped the ball on this port IMO.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay isn't really that substantial that the differences make any real difference, it's a pretty low impact game.

Oct 27, 2017
Switch handheld is fine, docked is a little cumbersome when rotating platforms.

But it is, in its original incantation, a Wii U game with a surprising revelation about another Wii U game at the end. I haven't reached the end on Switch yet so not sure if this idea has been updated to be more switch-centric.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I say the Switch version in handheld mode is the best version of Captain Toad.
I own and played through both the Wii U and Switch versions and had more fun with the latter. The higher resolution (or equal resolution to the Wii U version when played in handheld mode) is a nice addition as well.

When played docked it replaces the touch screen controls with an on-screen cursor that's controlled by the controller's gyro, which works badly with the Pro Controller, but somewhat better with the Joy-Cons. Feels a bit like the Wii with the latter control option, but you still have to manually reset the cursor position quite often, since the Switch's gyro obviously works differently than the Wii's infrared camera solution.

The Switch version also adds completely new levels based on Mario Odyssey, which replace some Wii U levels, which were only copied straight from Super Mario 3D World anyway, so there is no real need for them.

Get the Switch version and play it in handheld mode.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Is the 3DS version running on 3D Land's engine? And the Switch version running off of 3D World's engine?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If you're playing on the TV, go Wii U: the touch screen controls feel better.

If you're playing in handheld mode the Switch is practically the same experience.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to mention immediately for people who don't read OPs, but I have no issues at all with the Wii U or the gamepad controller. I just want to know what has the most "complete" control scheme and content.

I can't quite discern where people landed with the control scheme and stuff for the Switch version of Captain Toad - I heard in docked mode you have an awkward cursor pointer? Is handheld mode better and essentially equivalent in control to the Wii U game, or are there subtle differences? Does the second screen do anything of note for the Wii U version? Maybe the 3DS version is secretly the best version?

I think I heard the new levels are de-facto better than the cut content from the Wii U game, which was just tours of 3D World levels? Is that accurate?
Captain Toad was one of my favorite Wii U games. The two games are nigh identical, with the exception of motion controls and the end game levels. In docked it does become more cumbersome to use the cursor considering how finicky the motion control can be on Switch, but yes I usually use handheld which is miles better and works just like playing on the gamepad.

The new levels are pretty whatever. Nice callbacks to Odyssey, but you can finish each of them in 3 minutes tops, so they're not adding all that much either way.

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
Wii U imo, it was made for it clearly. I 100%'d it and had a great time, that said its gonna be fun either way.