• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Last Exit to Springfield

(PS: You Only Live Twice is hugely overrated, and is not even in the top 50 episodes).

Oct 27, 2017
Not so much the best episodes as a whole (they're still great though), but I just find these jokes great on a visual level:

NcR7gIJ.gif

ouB7hyw.gif

Pookmunki

Oct 27, 2017
All the classics have been mentioned ( Badman, Homer's Enemy, Monorail etc) however my favourite is Lisa's First Word. It just sums up the show perfectly and has a heart sorely missed since it started emulating Family Guy style humour.

The last few seconds always hit like a truck and i love it.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
Marge vs the monorail

but my personal favorite is between "king size homer" "team homer" and "homie the clown". Can't decide which, but "homie the clown" is pretty damn close.
tumblr_mx0kkzfmgD1s1clzao1_400.gifv

Favorite joke- "gym? What's a gym? Ohhhh, gym." Gets me every damn time.

my buddy has sworn by "homie the clown" for as long as I can remember. I've never seen it. I remember back in the day tivo'ing every rerun in hopes of watching it. I suppose I should watch it on Disney plus one of these days.

Ketchup

Nov 5, 2017
For me it's Itchy and Scratchy land. The perfect mickey take on the Disney parks and has the characters acting exactly as you'd expect them to. Including homer kicking a character and ending up inside the jail. The ending with the 80s/90s action hero lines just tops off a great episode.

But the episode where Homer is Mr burns prank monkey has to to rank way way way down there on even good episodes. It's just so dumb, the characters act extremely out of character and it just isn't the simpsons.

Dec 22, 2017
Lisa's Rival.

I love the episodes where Bart and Lisa are allowed to be kids with normal childhood problems to overcome, and this is the most relatable for me. Bonus points for Bart and Lisa teaming up, and the way it all comes together framed around the Telltale Heart.
998314.jpg

It also has arguably the best B plot of all time, with Homer as the sugar baron.

Plus lots of Ralph Wiggum, leaving us primed for the greatest line in the show's history:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Top 3.

You Only Move Twice
The Mysterious Voyage Of Home
Homer vs. The Eighteenth Amendment

Nov 26, 2017
Cape Feare
Last Exit to Springfield
Halloween of Horror
A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again
Homer at the Bat
Bold are from Season 27 and 23 , but they are two that I love just as much as classic Simpsons

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Halloween of Horror
A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again

Bold are from Season 27 and 23 , but they are two that I love just as much as classic Simpsons
They're both excellent and hold up exceptionally well on rewatch by modern standards.
Scope out the rest of Matt Selman's showrun efforts if you have yet to do so.
I'm an especially big fan of this season's Livin' la Pura Vida.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I give it to the "Dignity" episode with Homer being Mr. Burns jester essentially.

Just a handful of the memorable scenes in this classic episode.

Homer Vs. Diginity is one of the worst episodes in the series. Don't get me started on the Panda rape scene.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After all these years, I've never truly been able to nail down a favourite episode, I can think of ten or so classics to round out a list but I'll be damned if I had to order it.

In the spirit of controversy like OPs pick, I absolutely crack up with Homer's enemy, an episode considered by some to mark the decline of the series.
I'm sitting here right now chuckling at the way that Homer quickly snacks two bites of out Grime's special dietetic lunch before putting it back in the bag.
There's some fun animations on Grime's end like the way he immediately bins the returned lunch or his reaction as homer knocks over his pencils while excitedly analysing the fact they have his name on them.

T-mPI8Ba-uWElZUUiW4BR-YT_68=.gif

It's a strange meta episode that highlights Homer's series long cartoon antics through a normal lense, and it's wonderfully horrid as result.

OP
OP
DiK4

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Homer Vs. Diginity is one of the worst episodes in the series. Don't get me started on the Panda rape scene.
I rewatched it last night, and its still so funny.

OMG at the comic book part. He pretty much just eats that guy's soul. Panda part is funny, especially after he finally gets out and then meets the skunks.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
was definitely not expecting to see the panda rape episode at the start of the thread

or anywhere in the thread

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I've spent a few hours thinking about it, but I think its barts comet. How it ends on a twilight zone episode parody is perfection.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
They did an interview with the bloke who runs the Simpson's quote of the day twitter account and he and I chose the correct number 1. It's Homer Badman. Might be the absolute most joke dense episode period. He's literally stewing in his own juices! Sweet Sweet Can.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Last Exit to Springfield is easily top 5 but not as good as You Only Move Twice (or Selma's Choice).

Interesting, because I agree on Selma's Choice (definitely top 5 episode, on some days I would say the best episode).

But I just find You Only Move Twice hugely over-rated. Don't get be wrong, it's a very good episode. I just don't think it comes anywhere near the conversation for best episode (as I say, not even top 50).

The side stories from the family are all mediocre. There are some iconic memorable Homer scenes, but nothing too special. I think it is just lauded because it's easily distinguishable from other episodes (one time character and different location).

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
Homer the heretic is the one that comes to mind

The jokes per minute is incredible. Crammed full of gags, visual jokes and a funny steady building plot that marries everything that makes The Simpsons great.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite episodes in no particular order

Homer Badman
Rosebud
Homer's Enemy
Lisa's Rival