• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
With a decade coming to an end it would be nice to find out which games will be fondly remembered going forward. The rules are simple, name up to ten FPS/TPS games (separate lists for both are welcome too) which you enjoyed the most in the last 10 years and explain for a bit why are these games special to you.

My own list:

10) Bulletstorm

A product of a different time. Who would think that making an unapologetically arcadey FPS at the beginning of new tens was a good idea? While the market was obsessed with ultra-serious, military-themed games thanks to the unprecedented success of Modern Warfare people behind Painkiller decided to deliver what genre has been known for in the past, fun. While dick killing jokes aged as well as Grayson Hunt's hairstyle, the core gameplay is still fantastic, there's nothing on the market with an equally satisfying whip and debris. Hunt and his psychocyborg best mate Sato deserved better than what they got the first time around.

9) CoD: Black Ops

Now, now. I know how it looks. I just threw shades at Modern Warfare and now I'm mentioning a different game from the same franchise? Preposterous! But think about it, how many shooters out there toyed with the narrative found in paranoid and conspiracy thrillers? Not that many. While the campaign wasn't as polished as in CoD's from Infinity Ward (before MW3 happened) the game had a personality that is distinctly different from the rest of the franchise (even to its own sequels, unfortunately), to me, it still stands as a Call of Duty experience unlike any other.

8) Metro: Last Light

A perfect mix of FPS and survival horror full of colourful characters and interesting set pieces. The best depiction of post-apocalyptic Russia (also the only depiction of post-apocalyptic Russia I'm aware of, no, I don't know what You Are Empty is). Metro: Last Light is one of the most atmospheric first-person shooters your money can buy.

7) Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

While Rockstar were busy telling an epic story of John Marston crazy people from Poland decided to make a bit of fun out of Western tropes, and thank Cthulhu they did. Gunslinger is a very obvious departure from previous games in the series that was much needed after dumb as a brick and boring as all hell 3rd game. It's a story of an old badass told through his own mouth with all reliability of an alcoholic in a quest to find a bottle of whiskey. It's short, it's cheap and it's fun.

6) Destiny 2

At risk of being called a filthy casual I'm going to admit that I like D2 in all its aim assist glory, there's nothing better than shooting someone's crotch and still getting a headshot in the end (that doesn't happen but we need a spicy hyperbole). It's a game that designed with one goal, to make you feel good and it's satisfying in that regard.

5) Wolfenstein: The New Order

You shoot nazis, nazi dogs, nazi robots, and do so in style. The New Order is a series at its best and most provocative, a bold move on Bethesda's part given our current real world socio-political climate. It also awesome and meaty, in every sense of a word

4) Max Payne 3

Max Payne 3 is an odd duck, on one hand, depending on who you ask it might be mechanically the best TPS ever made, on the other Sam Houser isn't Sam Lake. MP3 improved a gameplay formula of its predecessors while completely losing to the narrative heights of Remedy's games. Still, it's one of the most immensely satisfying shooting galleries in a video game format.

3) Titanfall 2

The most polished FPS campaign of the decade. There's no fat, it's just a lean experience with some of the most memorable levels in any genre. You also pilot of the mech, what can be better?

2) DOOM

Rip & Tear. You're a Doomguy, you kill shit in a gruesome way, that's it. I'm just happy id came to senses and didn't deliver another brick factory like DOOM 3. Oh, and it's also perfect.

1) Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

A lot of it has to do with a social aspect of a game, but nothing quite comes close to playing CS with your friends, it can be a comedy, it can be a thriller and sometimes even tragedy. CS has always been a special game in this part of the world, in that sense, nothing has changed since the days of 1.6 domination.

I decided to not include games in bordering genres like immersive sims into my list because shooting part is often not a key component of such games, but if you feel otherwise, feel free to add them. So, what are your favorite shooters of this decade folks?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
For the Big Guns (lol) I'd go with Doom 2016.

But man I've been blown away with the retro shooters of late, Dusk, Ion Fury and Amid Evil.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
3- Battlefront 2

This one is cheating because it's Star Wars, but the amount of content available is staggering and so is the scale of the fights. Gunplay could be better, but it makes up for it on other areas.

2 - Rainbow Six Siege

Super satisfying gameplay. Nothing better than seeing a strategy work out well.

1- Titanfall 2

Superb gameplay, superb campaign, great online, amazing customization. It's perfect.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
1) Max Payne 3
2) Doom
3) Titanfall 2
4) Bulletstorm

Max Payne 3 simply gave me everything I would want out of a game where the objective is to shoot things. The aesthetics (namely the score & return of James McCaffery) were icing on a perfect cake.

Every game on my short list was not only inventive, but polished to a T.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Max Payne 3 is sooooooo fucking good.

How did we not get a remaster, Rockstar?

Outsource if you must.

tenor.gif

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Not the biggest fan of shooters and i think that is more reason to put Splatoon at number 1 (both 1 and 2)

Dec 6, 2017
US
I know the actual gameplay in Max Payne 3 is fucking killer but those unskippable cutscenes with twenty second bouts of actually playing sandwiched in between absolutely killed it for me. I'm still pissed about that...just let me PLAY.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
10. Doom
09. Titanfall 1
08. Titanfall 1
07. Titanfall 1
06. Titanfall 1
05. Titanfall 1
04. Titanfall 1
03. Titanfall 1
02. Titanfall 1
01. Titanfall 1

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have played very few but I'd like to give a shoutout to Hard Reset, which is a nice little dystopian game in a cool cyber setting. Not great but fun and not bad at all!

My favourite shooter was Earth Defense Force 4.1, though!

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Random awesomeness when playing Max Payne 3:

- Shooting an enemy in the leg and watching them stumble hard into a concrete wall or pillar and die on impact from the concussion trauma.

- Doing a slo-mo leap in the bleachers of the stadium as a grenade detonates, pushing me even further through the air as I continue to unleash rounds.

- Fighting a heavily-armored enemy and wasting a ton of bullets, then fighting him again and killing him with a singular shot that hit his neck right under the visor.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Random awesomeness when playing Max Payne 3:

- Shooting an enemy in the leg and watching them stumble hard into a concrete wall or pillar and die on impact from the concussion trauma.

- Doing a slo-mo leap in the bleachers of the stadium as a grenade detonates, pushing me even further through the air as I continue to unleash rounds.

- Fighting a heavily-armored enemy and wasting a ton of bullets, then fighting him again and killing him with a singular shot that hit his neck right under the visor.

I read this while hearing HEALTH in my head.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
1)Doom
2)Splatoon 2
3)Max Payne 3

IMO splatton 2 is better than max payne 3 in everything shooting related.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
In no order:

Doom 2016 - Good clean fun; a great way to modernize a classic while not delving too deep into new age shooter tropes. Shows the value of layered levels and secrets. They could have done more, but not a lot.

Halo Reach - Superb campaign, with a ton of variety and novel ideas. A unique blend between arcade and grounded, with just enough of an arcade bias there to make it all snappy. Also Forge is great; I spent way more hours there than anything else, and I spent a lot of time elsewhere too.

Battlefield 4 - The best shooter of the decade, and the one which really gets out there and pushes the player to feel like they're doing what the screen says they're doing. Guns feel like guns, yes, but so do planes feel like planes, mortars feel like mortars, boats like boats, and it's up to the team to put it all together.

Killzone 3 - I've still not played a game which put me more in the thick of things than KZ3. Fine campaign, but it's the MP that really clicks here and has feeling all that mud and blood and darkened sky. Warzone remains are fantastic as ever, and it's exclusion from the rest of gaming continues to baffle me.

Resistance 3 - Among the best FPS campaigns ever, and one which almost feels like a follow up to Half-Life 2. Amazing weapons, so many different scenarios, so many neat ways to cut loose with things depending on the style of crazy you want things to take. Literally only one downside, and it's the stupid hammer weapon teasing a slot.

BioShock 2 - Easily the best in the trilogy. Better weapons than the first, dual wielding, depth to the levels, depth to the builds you can go for...a shame they ruined it with Infinite. Plus, Minerva's Den is a top DLC for the generation.

Natural Selection 2 - Two completely different sides tossed together into pitch perfect map design and left to figure out their way to victory in ways that harken back to classic sci-fi movies. Something in the vents! They're overrunning the turrets! They cut the power! And then you hear the echoing of the metal corridor as something big approaches in the dark...and you realize that you can be that something.

Titanfall *One* - The best maps, and the best titans. I absolutely hate not being able to customize them, and the changes they made to shields completely turned me off. Also, it had the smart pistol as a normal weapon ;_;7

Xeos

May 31, 2019
1 ) Modern Warfare 3 - Haven't laughed as hard as with a full lobby custom game of infected. Fantastic maps, tons of content and weapons, 1v1 and 2v2 were insanely fun. The last fps that felt like it was for the bros.

1) Overwatch S1- S3: Before the toxicity took over. When there were genji gods. HOOK 1.0 hahaha. When the metas were actually fun to play. WHERE'S MERCY?!!. Fantastic game that had so much flavour and character despite its flaws.

2)Battlefield 4 - Ultimate sandbox fps
199al6oshzyxcgif.gif

3)Titanfall 2 - GOAT fps campaign, incredible gunplay. Only wish multiplayer was still thriving on PC.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
So I get to count Quake Live even though it's just a rebalanced and expanded Quake 3?

Hard not to put CSGO as my number one, spent over a thousand hours with it in the few years I was playing it. Truly a special game, great fun social and competitively. Still tune into the occasional professional match and its hands down my favourite game to watch outside of the FGC.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Titanfall *One* - The best maps, and the best titans. I absolutely hate not being able to customize them, and the changes they made to shields completely turned me off. Also, it had the smart pistol as a normal weapon ;_;7
Yup. Titanfall 1 was probably the most fun I've ever had with an online game. Titanfall 2 (the mp) was the most disappointed I've been this generation.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Doom is greatest for me too. I really liked Titanfall 2, too.

I played a lot of Titanfall 1 and loved it despite it being multiplayer only, but I just never stick around that long for those and never come back to them after a time. I never got into Titanfall 2's multiplayer.

Gpur

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
1 Doom
2 Rage
3 Titanfall 2
4 Max Payne 3
5 Bulletstorm
6 Halo Reach
7 Wolfenstein the new order

OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I didn't expect to see so many mentions of Titanfall 1, I only played the game for 2-3 hours and never came back, maybe I should give it another try.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Max Payne 3, and Titanfall 2.

Max Payne 3 especially, because it's a game I'd hate on paper, with it's focus on realism. But the realism actually didn't get in the way of the gameplay; On the contrary, it kind of made things more organic, since you CAN fuck up your Hong Kong Action stunts.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Doom was good but Titanfall 2 is the most complete package from any shooter this gen. I'd also say it has much much much better level design than Doom. The prefab and time levels alone were better than any environment in Doom.

TFall 2 has outstanding multiplayer as well.

Oct 27, 2017
dodonpachi saidaioujou and vanquish would be pretty high up there for me personally.

nex machina, titanfall 2 and doom too

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
The Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion and Vanquish for TPS, Doom 2016 and Titanfall 2 for FPS.

Inventive, stylish, and creative games.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say.. Resistance 3. Forgot to mention in that "big franchises thats skipped this generation" list. Was pretty terrific campaign, thing which FPS seem to ignore more and more

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
1. Doom
2. Wolfenstein: The New Order
3. Titanfall 2
4. Splatoon 2
5. Vanquish

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
dodonpachi saidaioujou and vanquish would be pretty high up there for me personally.

nex machina, titanfall 2 and doom too

DFK came on the 360 in 2010 ;) I think it counts for the decade thingie...
I prefer it to SDOJ personally (and i hold no grudge against lolibachi ). Thinking about that... still no SDOJ on Steam, lil devils.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
For me :
5. Ion Fury
Old school Duke Nuke 3D goodness. Loved it.
4. Cod MW
Haven't played much lately but the gunplay and attention to detail is fantastic. Some campaign missions were insane.
3. DOOM
Took everyone by surprise, proved old school shooter design is still good.
2. Titanfall 2
Amazing game that bring a smile to my face winning or losing. A great mix of arena shooter movement and modern shooting.
1. Halo 5
My favorite multiplayer shooter of the generation. You feel like a spartan as fuck in this one. The only halo game with a semblance of a good balanced weapon sandbox and starting weapons. The pistol is so satisfying to use. The sound effects are perfect. Love that game.

SPIN!

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
The best shooter of this decade was released a mere 26 days into the decade. Shame it didn't survive the decade and get a sequel or PS4 remaster. RIP MAG!

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
CSGO is the greatest shooter of not only this decade, but also of all time.

Titanfall 2 comes in 2nd for this decade though.

Oct 29, 2017
Titanfall 2 and DOOM are my two favorite non-Nintendo games this generation. Made me fall in love with PC gaming all over again.