• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Not 5 years, but it is "or so"

1_sonic_all_stars_racing_transformed.jpg

Came here to post exactly this.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a hardcore simulator with fantastic mod support. Controller is doable, but I'd really really suggest a wheel. This isn't a Gran Turismo/Forza, and using the out of cockpit view isn't going to work as you think it will.

It's also a fantastic looking game

I was able to play Project CARS 1 successfully with a controller. I don't have the amount of money I'd like to be able to splurge on a racing wheel setup, but I really want a good racing game.

OP
OP
Theodoricos

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe put your platform choice in the OP? The Xbox One and Windows store have two of the best reviewed racing games of the gen exclusively so you're gonna get a lot of recommendations for them. Pointless if you can't play them. You just asked for the best racing games of the last 5 years.

That's alright, I'd like to get recommendations for every platform because I'm planning on an upgrade soon anyway.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not into any of the sim stuff so Mario Kart 8 is the only noteworthy racer for me since the last generation.

I tri e Driveclub and one of the Forzas (not horizon 3 which I apparently should give a shot) and they were good looking but dull to play.

Really sucks but oh well maybe we'll get that Ridge Racer and Waverace.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was able to play Project CARS 1 successfully with a controller. I don't have the amount of money I'd like to be able to splurge on a racing wheel setup, but I really want a good racing game.
Project CARS is built with controller in mind, and the chase camera works well in conjunction with a controller.
Assetto Corsa is not, and is closer to games like rFactor 2. As such, controller is not the best way to play the game but it certainly is possible. I'd probably try it on Steam and refund it within the 2 hour window.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Just recently discovered this series. So relaxing and zen. I stink at racing games, so I put it on automatic and easy, but I think manual and hard mode is pretty serious

2413b22b-5340-4403-b05a-95f5930ba558_1.d76878c36dc5d13675a016d52957fece.jpeg

Oct 27, 2017
Project CARS is built with controller in mind, and the chase camera works well in conjunction with a controller.
Assetto Corsa is not, and is closer to games like rFactor 2. As such, controller is not the best way to play the game but it certainly is possible. I'd probably try it on Steam and refund it within the 2 hour window.

Sounds good and thanks for the info!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
"Best" is always hard because I don't have a One to comment on Horizon, which I feel may be the best, but Dirt Rally is certainly my favorite racer this generation.

32A3D59816F7829F1E014203AE6AAB6EC22AD26F

Just recently discovered this series. So relaxing and zen.

If you've only played 5, I would definitely recommend you check out 7, the visuals are hugely improved. It was the better rally racer last year compared to Dirt 4 (though only 30fps)

reMiX.

Mar 6, 2018
DRIVECLUB!!
Carrying the torch for Driveclub, all flaws aside...

Just getting into GT sport and loving it...

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dirt 3 is a little older than what you asked for (2011), but it is still one of my favorite racing games.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Ignore the Driveclub mentions, it's decent at best.

Arcade wise Forza Horizon 3 is brilliant, though the career is a bit lacklustre.

Simulation wise definitely Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, Automobilista and GT Sport. GT Sport being the only one that's good with a controller too. Dirt Rally for Rally sim

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Ignore the Driveclub mentions, it's decent at best.

Disagree. It's got great handling/driving model for its class of racing game, graphics + sound that still put other racers on beefier machines to shame, an amazing dynamic weather system, and oodles of style. Couple that with the shit-ton of content that came out over its lifetime and the vapidity of your crass dismissal becomes apparent.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Disagree. It's got great handling/driving model for its class of racing game, graphics + sound that still put other racers on beefier machines to shame, an amazing dynamic weather system, and oodles of style. Couple that with the shit-ton of content that came out over its lifetime and the vapidity of your crass dismissal becomes apparent.
Hahah.

Physics are weird as hell, as soon as you drift it's awkward as fuck, could never get used to it. Graphics are amazing of course but sadly stuck at 30fps. Sounds are ok, a bit droney, nothing even close to RaceRoom Racing Experience. I relaly like the Scottish tracks though :D

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's been a surprising amount in the last 5 or so years, its just the genre as a whole has been as prominently in the limelight as they once were, but there's still some great ones around.

One of the games i have enjoyed a staggeringly tremendous amount since it launched in 2016 is Redout, the fast paced futuristic racer that has tons of content and some really fun track design to traverse, with some equally fun physics, even if the learning curve is trickier than most arcade racers, there's a lot to love here, from the low-poly esque (but not true low-poly) aesthetic to the fantastically diverse soundtrack as well. Having spent over 250 hours on it across both PC and PS4pro versions, as well as getting the DLC packs which already bolster the track-count to further levels, I have certainly got my time's worth out of it, and will continue to do so! (I will say hold off or wait for a sale if you plan to get it for a base PS4/XB1 though, performance is a sizeable issue unless it really doesn't bother you)

Another game that I have been getting back into lately is Gran Turismo Sport, after having brief sporadic breaks for the last few months, ive been dabbling about in it again and the driving feel of this racing sim still feels as nuanced and as fun as ever, even if the focus is now more motorsports oriented than mostly road-car orientated. It's livery editor is among the best in the genre, the photo-mode is fantastic, regardless if your doing replay shots or using the 'scapes' mode and it is also continually getting content updates - most importantly for free as well, while other games have not had such large additions for free, It's been great so far and i look forward to see how it continues in the future.

The Crew is another one I have to mention purely because of the hundreds of hours I spent on it, while it did start out rough, it definitely improved over time, with the graphical overhaul and wild run dlc providing a new vibrant outlook for the once okay racer, the physics tweaks were fantastic, and the sheer amount of small challenges to do meant there was always a scoreboard to chase or parts to gain, and the large map was fantastic to explore, if a little unrefined in some areas. While the original is still good as is, I am even more excited to see what its sequel will provide, definitely looking forward to the boats most!

Driveclub is another one i should definitely echo others' statements on, with a fantastic amount of content for money (with or without DLCs) and an impressive graphics engine the driving feel can be a bit divisive but if it hooks you, it really will give you a ton to go for with the content on offer, also unlike most of the games here, the weather effects this game has are absolutely stunning to see, it is a game that has stood the test of time so far and while the old developers are now helming an equally curious arcade racer in the name of Onrush, their last sony exclusive game was definitely a high point.

Furthermore, if remasters count, i'd definitely say that WipEout: Omega Collection and Burnout Paradise Remastered have been fantastic additions as well, highlighting the best entries in their respective series (even if Paradise is debatable for some, and while B3 is my favourite, Paradise means a fair bit to me as well as it was my first online console game) with a ton of content to explore and try out, coupled with the fact that the remasters are of great quality (exceptional in WipEout's case) and you've got a great game to revisit or explore for the first time.

In addition, i would also love to mention Trackmania Turbo here for its fantastic trackbuilder and brilliant singleplayer campaign, and is easily the best singleplayer trackmania to date with most of its features intact, while also adding some great co-op/local versus options as well that most entries in the series lacked. Though, TM Turbo isn't the only version of TM this gen that has been really good - and despite some glaring flaws in its UI and management, i would recommend ManiaPlanet moreso for those that are of a creative person, with its fantastic track editor and community supported tools and features, there's a lot of flexibility you can do with it, and its a game I have been playing for many years and still find enjoyment out of it, it can be very obtuse though so be warned

As I have already written a stupid amount already, i'll keep my honourable mentioned fleeting for brevity's sake, but will mention that ive enjoyed these games a fair amount to warrant them being here in the first place :P

Mantis Burn Racing - a really fun top-down racer with plenty of finesse in its easy to learn and fun to master physics, even if the campaign is a little too long for its small track count
Riptide GP: Renegade - a fun, if fleeting in length jetski racer with some good track design and enjoyable driving feel.
Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed and MarioKart 8 Deluxe i would also add here for being fantastic kart racers, probably among the best in their genre together, for sure!
I would mention GRIP and Distance here, but they are still in early access, so i cant judge their final qualities yet, but they do play quite well!

...I think that'll do for now, i have probably gone on for too much already!

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2. The rest don't even get close to replicating racing or cars.

if you don't have a wheel and want the gamey thing rather than the more realistic thing then GT Sport, Forza Horizon 3 and Wipeout HD.
Dirt Rally being a sim is highly contentious amongst the simracing community.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand this forum's adoration with Gran Turismo Sport. I'm not gonna tell anyone they're wrong or anything (love what you love!) but I own GTS and I kinda feel like it's a pretty average game in a series of amazing games that defined the genre. I don't even think it's the best racing game on the PS4, never mind it's equivilent on PC and Xbox (Forza 7). It would seem that the review scores would back that up.

Seems like it's found a passionate audience though. I think that's awesome. I just find it weird!

I feel like even if you only ever play GT games then GT6 is a better racing game from the last 5 years.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely agree with this. People like to call Gran Turismo and Forza as simulators, but they are definitely far more simcade than actual sims, not that that's a bad thing.

I honestly have no idea why they do. There is nothing sim in them. They are fun, the best racing games with pads and the general approach is correct but in terms of how cars actually function and physics work they are well off, same goes for racing formats, strategies, and rules. I'd also class Project Cars 1 as borderline simcade due to lack of wet weather racing line, track and tire physics and a few little other niggles that pop out from time to time such as damage but the actual driving mechanical aspect of the cars is sim.

Dirt Rally being a sim is highly contentious amongst the simracing community.

Aye the road surfaces feel off and the damage is way off but there is a lot there such as altitude effect on car performance and many other things that it firmly into the sim category. Just not as realistic as other games. For Rally it is between that or RBR and RBR came out over a decade ago.

Last edited:

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Assetto Corsa
Project CARS 2

Cover my sim racing needs ( i play in VR and its phenomenal)

Semi sim racers i thought F1 2017 was pretty amazing.

and for arcade racing, Mario Kart 8 and Forza Horizon 3.

I havent played Gran Tourismo but found Forza 7 absolutely horrible (seriously, go play this game with a wheel set up, its so bad)

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have no idea why they do. There is nothing sim in them. They are fun, the best racing games with pads and the general approach is correct but in terms of how cars actually function and physics work they are well off, same goes for racing formats, strategies, and rules. I'd also class Project Cars 1 as borderline simcade due to lack of wet weather racing line, track and tire physics and a few little other niggles that pop out from time to time but the actual mechanical aspect of the cars is sim.
The fact that you can hit every track curb in a car with zero downforce in those games and have no loss of traction is just funny to me. It changes up your racing line so much where you're incentivized to cut every single corner as hard as possible. The apex is no longer on the track edge, but rather on the curb edge.

As many peoples' entry into simracing, it can be difficult to break those terrible habits later down the line, when they transition into the more realistic sims.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who just purchased DRIVECLUB, i find this game so hilarious, its more of a meme than a game now.

I saw all the amazing gifs, but honestly it only looks good when there is weather present, most of the time it looks pretty normal/average. Also its VERY VERY bland, its just a bunch of ugly menu's and some races.

I expected more and i only paid ÂŁ5 for a used copy.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Driveclub is the Dark Souls of racing games.

It isn't interested in pretending to be real cars and simulating how a real car should behave, it has a physics and handling model unique to itself. Driveclub doesn't adapt to you, you adapt to it, but once you learn the systems it is deeply satisfying. Each curve is like an enemy that has patterns and specific approaches, but once you learn it you can see that time shaving down millisecond by millisecond. Being first isn't the point of the game, it's about defeating one's self (by beating your previous time).

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gt sport for the best online racing experience (in the higher driver ratings ofc)

DriveClub for the pure spectacle aspect of racing.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand this forum's adoration with Gran Turismo Sport. I'm not gonna tell anyone they're wrong or anything (love what you love!) but I own GTS and I kinda feel like it's a pretty average game in a series of amazing games that defined the genre. I don't even think it's the best racing game on the PS4, never mind it's equivilent on PC and Xbox (Forza 7). It would seem that the review scores would back that up.

Seems like it's found a passionate audience though. I think that's awesome. I just find it weird!

I feel like even if you only ever play GT games then GT6 is a better racing game from the last 5 years.
He asked for best racing games not for you to trash a Sony game (as per your custom). Can you just not list a game and move on or something?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Driveclub is the Dark Souls of racing games.

It isn't interested in pretending to be real cars and simulating how a real car should behave, it has a physics and handling model unique to itself. Driveclub doesn't adapt to you, you adapt to it, but once you learn the systems it is deeply satisfying. Each curve is like an enemy that has patterns and specific approaches, but once you learn it you can see that time shaving down millisecond by millisecond. Being first isn't the point of the game, it's about defeating one's self (by beating your previous time).

Hotlapping is much more fun in simulators. If you were to call a racing game "Dark souls" then it's NFS:Rivals. No pause, you only get to keep the points you bring home(and the more races you do without returning to base, the higher the multiplier), if you get busted, you lose everything, similiar to the souls mechanic.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Hostility towards another user
I did list some and one of them was Driveclub so don't give me that rubbish, mate.
You just can't wait to put down a Sony exclusive in your post, can you? What exactly was the point of posting that if the only thing it will try to spark is a fanboy war? Keep fighting the good fight.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Give Gravel a try, its a decent arcade racer, it reminded me of Dirt 2. Burnout Paradise was recently remastered, and even though the game is really old, it still holds up decently, if you can get it on sale, there is plenty of content on that one. If your on PC I recommend Need for Speed most wanted 2012 version, IMO the last good NFS game made. On PS4 there is driveclub, if you enjoy racing, and cars, then you will like DC, it doesn't do much of anything else its just strictly racing and drifting events. If you like online competitive racing, then GTS is a good option, the game is very easy to get in to, and it doesn't take long to get the cars you want, there is some SP events, but the online is what will keep you coming back. If you like futuristic racer, then wipeout omega collection is a must play, if you have a Wii U or switch, then FAST racing neo/FAST RMX is a very good futuristic arcade racer.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You just can't wait to put down a Sony exclusive in your post, can you? What exactly was the point of posting that if the only thing it will try to spark is a fanboy war? Keep fighting the good fight.

If you think you're in a 'fanboy war' you're in it on your own Riderz. And that's not a war, that's just one person shouting on their own. Have fun!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Give Gravel a try, its a decent arcade racer, it reminded me of Dirt 2.

I've been playing Gravel recently too and it's really good! Don't know if there's a ton of depth there but, as you said, it's a really decent arcade racer. Really scratched that itch for me.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Forza Horizon 2 and 3 are the best racing games ever made. I'd say the first as well, but that was more than 5 years ago.

Gravel is also pretty fun and budget priced

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Any of the Forza Horizon games. They're easily the best racers around currently. You can play 1 and a downgraded version of 2 on X360. You can play 1-2-3 on XB1. You can play FH3 on PC if you have win10 (if you already have 8.1, what would you lose from upgrading? It's the same but better, IMO)
If you like rally then DIRT Rally, though be warned its more sim-like. DIRT 4 is a good alternative if you want it more casual. F1 games are still solid, very good career modes (2016-17)
In terms of PS4 exclusives, I suppose Driveclub is a good choice. It may seem a bit basic compared to other titles at first, but that's the beauty of it. it's a lot like the older NFS titles (1-5) without the cops. Mostly point to point countryside tracks, and exotic cars.