• John Waters and Divine

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 35 19.2%

• Total voters

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's say they had to make at least three films/projects together to count.

Considering the sheer number of great films, I would say it has to be Kurosawa and Mifune, but maybe I'm forgetting someone. Wong Kar-wai also has several great collaborators, so many that I didn't know which one to choose for the poll. There's also Leone and Eastwood, of course, and Tarantino and Jackson, but there's not enough room for them either. Some others that come to mind are Hitchcock with either Grace Kelly or Cary Grant, and Elia Kazan with Marlon Brando. Seven choices is not enough for the kind of polls.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Scorsese/DiCaprio

I'm absolutely biased for being the right age for when these movies came out. I admit if we're judging individual films on their merits the Scorsese/DeNiro combo wins every day of the week, and is the right choice to include on the poll imo. But I'm just a huge fan of DeCaprio's acting, and Scorsese has driven him into some of his best work.

Mifune/Kirasawa as an honorable mention. Legendary run they had.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
giphy.gif

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Kurosawa/Mifune, but I'll also throw my hat in for David Lynch & Laura Dern

david-lynch-cow.jpg

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
You could make a strong case for John Huston and Humphrey Bogart being included in this conversation. The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and The African Queen are three classics.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Kurosawa + Mifune or Kurosawa + Shimura

Power levels of this magnitude have not been recorded before or since:

YWPSg4zoXyql.jpg

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Kurosawa/Mifune for the number and variety of films

Herzog and Kinski also great but suffers because Kinski was a creep

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Just for the fact that they didn't kill each other and made some great movies together, I vote Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski( Fuck Kinski though, piece of shit).

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spielberg and Hanks.

And maybe not now, but Tim Burton and Johnny Depp in the 90's and early 2000's.

Last edited:

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Kurosawa + Mifune, there's no doubt about it.

Also, if we count his work as a producer... gotta put Lucas and Ford into consideration too.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. It sours Lawrence of Arabia a great deal.

Meh.

I'm not advocating for the practice of whitewashing or browning up an actor, but Alec Guinness and Anthony Quinn delivered amazing, nuanced performances. What would have been offensive is if they delivered caricatured performances, which didn't happen.

Also, the film deserves credit for casting Omar Sharrif as Sheriff Ali. Casting Arab actors in main Arab roles didn't happen back then or after until about the 2000's.

Last edited:

less

Oct 25, 2017
James Cameron + Arnold Schwarzenegger. Bestest combo ever.

Kurosawa and Mifune is such a wonderful combo.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

IMO The Aviator, The Wolf of Wall Street and The Departed are top 3 scorsese.

That's coming from a fan of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. I think Scorsese's library is extremely strong, but I've definitely enjoyed his output with Dicaprio more. They are the types of movies i can rewatch over and over. Even Shutter Island.

OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could make a strong case for John Huston and Humphrey Bogart being included in this conversation. The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and The African Queen are three classics.
That would be an excellent pick. Two others that come to mind are George Cukor and Katherine Hepburn, and Howard Hawks and Cary Grant.