Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
latest
Making MJ just into Louis Lane light is one of the things I like less about the PlayStation games. Especially when part 2 then decides she also needs to be action hero because how else can you show a character strong

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, B.J. Blazkowicz is the real answer here, but I'll also throw a mention for Francis York Morgan to Francis Zach Morgan. I didn't know where I expected that character to be at in life when I first started up A Blessing in Disguise but it sure as hell wasn't that.
"doomslayer" is so fucking stupid

he's a guy with a shotgun, not a mythological hero with angel midichorians
Isn't that kind of the point though? I haven't played the follow up so they may have narratively overplayed their hand but from what I remember of Doom 2016 I found it a pretty clever way to kind of have their cake and eat it too in a remake.

They could both add the kind of self-serious lore and mythology that folks expect from a lot of modern AAA storytelling while also subverting it and celebrating the dumb blunt simplicity of the franchise by having the "chosen one" be a big, silent brute with a fuck-off gun who doesn't have time or patience for all your bullshit prophecies.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that kind of the point though? I haven't played the follow up so they may have narratively overplayed their hand but from what I remember of Doom 2016 I found it a pretty clever way to kind of have their cake and eat it too in a remake.
2016 straddled the line very well!

Eternal gets extremely out in the weeds in a very stupid way.

Oct 30, 2017
BJ or Kratos for me.

I would also argue how they changed Isaac in the DeadSpace remake was such an improvement of the character and added more emotion to moments though it doesn't neatly fit with this thought exercise. Really bummed about the game not being a hit.

Last edited:

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell no. Gross.

Anyway my vote is RE4's Ashley.

re4-ashley-sitting-on-a-barrel.jpg

And I don't really mean her design. She just has more agency and her voice acting elevates her so much. I like OG Ashley just fine but I love Remake Ashley.

For sure. I assumed she was just going to be a Macguffin just like the first game, but by the end of it I was demanding a buddy cop story with Ashley as Leon's freshly minted Secret Service apprentice

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. I assumed she was just going to be a Macguffin just like the first game, but by the end of it I was demanding a buddy cop story with Ashley as Leon's freshly minted Secret Service apprentice
From asking for overtime to flirting with the idea of breaking his buddy cop. Definitely an improvement.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
BJ Blazkowicz. Also a big fan of Dad Kratos, everyone from the FFVII Remake series except Sephiroth and Cid, and the RE remake protagonists.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i guess to contribute to OP Kratos comes off the top of my head

i don't really get the doomslayer/doomguy discourse (well, i kinda do but) it could easily fit within the "mythos" or vibe of doom 1&2. like, as lore heavy as Eternal is most of that stuff can be ignored, and it's criticized as being too serious. but like, I don't think it's that serious at all unless you really want to dork out over it, and in which that case id made an outlet for that kind of player, and another for whom just want to blow shit up

and from my knowledge about "Doom 4" they tried to do the humble mercenary against all odds thing but it just tonally didn't work out at all, or if it did it's like oh here you go another space marine FPS with Doom painting. and it seemed to take itself WAY more serious than 2016 or Eternal. it's worth considering the other side of the coin how things could've gone for Doom if they went that way

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Echoing the Reptile comments. Baraka, Johnny, and eventually Liu Kang have been done justice in modern Mortal Kombat games as well.

And while it's minor compared to the more story-heavy games mentioned here, I'd like to shout out Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled for leveraging the passage of time and technology to give some personality glow-ups to folks like Tawna, the ex-Trophy Girls, and Rilla Roo.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
People are listing things like Norse Kratos. That's not a reboot! That's character development

the kid Icarus Uprising cast and new Ashley are better examples

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
None come to mind. The reboots or supposed glow ups character I've loved have gotten over the years were the opposite to me.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
For me, agree with the FF7 cast. I wouldn't consider them "reboots", but the expansion of their characters from a messy translation script from 97, to their remake glow ups just feels good. I feel like they are still "themselves" but very much expanded on.

Though, I would say Barret is a bit closer to a "reboot" in the sense that they massively turned down the "Mr. T" stereotype with him, and he's just a good damn guy now. I love Remake Barret so much.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Some have said it already, but the redesigns of Pit, Palutena, Medusa, and every other recurring character from Kid Icarus are simply incredible.

Pit.png
720px-Pit_Uprising.png

NES_Palutena_Artwork.png
Palutena_Uprising.png

Medusa_Kid_Icarus.png
621px-MedusaPict.png

Medusa_conceptart.png

Hell no. No green tunic. No funny hat. Not left-handed. Awful.
Also, green is my favorite color, so I take this personal!
Gonna be honest, I like original palutena more

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or are some of these reboots just, like, the next game in the series that you like more than the previous one