• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you want open spoilers for new chapters in this thread?

• No. Always use spoiler tags for significant revelations.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Open spoilers only after a new volume has released.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Open spoilers only after a new chapter is officially available.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is officially available.

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Open spoilers whenever a new chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 11 11.7%

• Total voters

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
It's a lot easier for me to forgive what is happening here versus Game of Thrones, where the creators of the TV show had every opportunity to work with the still-living creator and/or take more time with it, but they opted to do neither and what we got was abysmal.

The Berserk folks are doing the best they can with a terrible, frankly insurmountable situation so I'm appreciative of what they come up with even if there's a lot that could (or should!) be better. Jett just drops in to shit on it the same way every time and I'm like, why my dude? We get it.
Though you're acting like they were forced to go this route (instead of just giving us the broad strokes they actually knew). Mori even admitted he's doing this for himself as much as for Miura.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Though you're acting like they were forced to go this route (instead of just giving us the broad strokes they actually knew). Mori even admitted he's doing this for himself as much as for Miura.

I think there's a lot of people (myself included) that want a Berserk conclusion. It very much isn't *the* conclusion, but I appreciate what they're trying here. I wouldn't have been satisfied to just read Mori's "this is how I think Miura would have done the rest" broad strokes. Even if there is plenty they're getting wrong (I get it, really!) there is a lot they're getting right (I know you know I'm going to say it, but hey, replicating Miura's art is no small feat and frankly they've done excellent here!) and, importantly, it's improving with time. Up until literally this chapter I felt like they were just turbo mode blasting through concluding the last Miura-started arc (Elf Island) and now we're, finally, in completely uncharted waters in an arc they've cooked up- so I think it's only fair to give them some time working in this arc, entirely of their own design, to see how they do with it.

Got a bit off track there, but the point I wanted to make is that I think there are a great many people that also want *a* conclusion and I suspect Mori and certainly the team that was supporting Miura wanted this too. I don't think they were forced to do this, I think they want it, and I think a great many fans want it too. I fully get the disappointment from you and Jett and others (I've been there too!) but I will continue to voice my support of their efforts, warts and all, because they're trying to carry Miura's masterpiece over the finish line (it'll be beat the heck up, but hey... I'll take it over nothing).

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I think there's a lot of people (myself included) that want a Berserk conclusion. It very much isn't *the* conclusion, but I appreciate what they're trying here. I wouldn't have been satisfied to just read Mori's "this is how I think Miura would have done the rest" broad strokes. Even if there is plenty they're getting wrong (I get it, really!) there is a lot they're getting right (I know you know I'm going to say it, but hey, replicating Miura's art is no small feat and frankly they've done excellent here!) and, importantly, it's improving with time. Up until literally this chapter I felt like they were just turbo mode blasting through concluding the last Miura-started arc (Elf Island) and now we're, finally, in completely uncharted waters in an arc they've cooked up- so I think it's only fair to give them some time working in this arc, entirely of their own design, to see how they do with it.

Got a bit off track there, but the point I wanted to make is that I think there are a great many people that also want *a* conclusion and I suspect Mori and certainly the team that was supporting Miura wanted this too. I don't think they were forced to do this, I think they want it, and I think a great many fans want it too. I fully get the disappointment from you and Jett and others (I've been there too!) but I will continue to voice my support of their efforts, warts and all, because they're trying to carry Miura's masterpiece over the finish line (it'll be beat the heck up, but hey... I'll take it over nothing).
With the bolded, that's the thing, though. It means Mori outright lied about the purpose of the continuation. His words back in 2022:
I have a message and promise to everyone. I will recall the details as much as possible and tell the story.
Also, I will only write the episodes that Miura talked to me about. I will not flesh it out. I will not write episodes that I don't remember clearly. I will only write the lines and stories that Miura described to me. Of course, it will not be perfect. Still, I think I can almost tell the story that Miura wanted to tell.

But from an interview last year, he admitted that the story doesn't make sense with just the information he has, so he's working with others (most likely the editor and Kurosaki) to speculate about the details.

While many seem to want a conclusion (even if the details get butchered along the way), the whole purpose of the continuation was to get "the story that Miura wanted to tell", even if heavily flawed in its current state. The one that Mori promised he would tell. You can say we're far past that now (which we are), but don't be surprised to see some of us continually in disbelief at how this whole thing has turned out.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I am happy with these chapters. Especially this latest.

Also made the mistake of looking at the skullnight forum knowing they already did nothing other than shitting on this and it's even worse now.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
With the bolded, that's the thing, though. It means Mori outright lied about the purpose of the continuation. His words back in 2022:

But from an interview last year, he admitted that the story doesn't make sense with just the information he has, so he's working with others (most likely the editor and Kurosaki) to speculate about the details.

While many seem to want a conclusion (even if the details get butchered along the way), the whole purpose of the continuation was to get "the story that Miura wanted to tell", even if heavily flawed in its current state. The one that Mori promised he would tell. You can say we're far past that now (which we are), but don't be surprised to see some of us continually in disbelief at how this whole thing has turned out.

Can't it be an in-between? Seems like it'd just be so hard to have this fully crystalized idea of what the remainder of the story is, plus Mori has to work with Miura's assistants as a team- something they hadn't done before. I don't read his initial statement as some sort of lie- I can easily believe that *he* believed it at the time (I mean, they were best friends- c'mon!) but he quickly either learned he didn't know as much as he thought or it just simply wasn't working in practice. I can't imagine the emotions the people that knew Miura well were feeling back then, because I know people like us who only knew Miura through his work still feel his loss. I cut them some slack for what feels like good intentions that aren't playing out as cleanly as hoped or promised.

But again, I do understand the disappointment. I'm just going to call out if some folks (and I don't mean you, hopefully obviously, since you critically engage in these types of discussions plus more broadly are discussing Berserk fandom like your Miura art post the other day!) only come into the thread to shit on it repeatedly- what's the point of that? We get it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Can't it be an in-between? Seems like it'd just be so hard to have this fully crystalized idea of what the remainder of the story is, plus Mori has to work with Miura's assistants as a team- something they hadn't done before. I don't read his initial statement as some sort of lie- I can easily believe that *he* believed it at the time (I mean, they were best friends- c'mon!) but he quickly either learned he didn't know as much as he thought or it just simply wasn't working in practice. I can't imagine the emotions the people that knew Miura well were feeling back then, because I know people like us who only knew Miura through his work still feel his loss. I cut them some slack for what feels like good intentions that aren't playing out as cleanly as hoped or promised.

But again, I do understand the disappointment. I'm just going to call out if some folks (and I don't mean you, hopefully obviously, since you critically engage in these types of discussions plus more broadly are discussing Berserk fandom like your Miura art post the other day!) only come into the thread to shit on it repeatedly- what's the point of that? We get it.
I do agree that if you're going to criticize it, you have to go into detail and specifics. It's why I really appreciate the big posters over at SK because they're so knowledgeable about the series. Unless you've spent literally decades with the characters and world, it's nearly impossible to do what Mori and co. are trying to do.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's an exercise in futility to so heavily scrutinize how the series is progressing after Miura. Berserk followed a loose magic system and was character driven by nature. The rules changed all the time and many areas of the story were left vague on purpose. So now everything that was written by Miura is treated as gospel and everything written after Miura is scrutinized with fine tooth comb, and at that point you can hardly enjoy anything.

I don't get it, personally. I understand there is a degree of fun or necessity in analyzing the continuation and finding flaws or whatever, but I'd rather stay as far away from it as possible and enjoy this for what it is.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017