Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
"But if you're asking me, do I feel particularly comfortable that the President, the then-President of the United States could not express his views on Twitter? I don't feel comfortable about that," Sanders continued.

[...]

Sanders said he doesn't know how to strike a balance, "but it is an issue that we have got to be thinking about."

He also noted that while Trump was banned, "tomorrow it could be somebody else who has a very different point of view."
"So I don't like giving that much power to a handful of high tech people. But the devil is obviously in the details and it's something we're going to have to think long and hard on, and that is how you preserve First Amendment rights without moving this country into a big lie mentality and conspiracy theories," he said.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like inciting a violent insurrection is a good hard line to draw.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Companies don't owe him jack shit. Abide by the terms of service or face the same repercussions as the rest of us.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When someone with "a very different point of view" uses that to incite an insurrection that strikes at the heart of democracy itself, by all means ban their ass from Twitter too.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Don't agree with this. The dude lied about the election for months there as militia groups took every word as the gospel.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Blatantly violating the TOS by inciting a coup is probably grounds for a ban, Sanders.

Stop talking.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Folks love worrying about slippery slopes while ignoring all context. Clown shit.
tumblr_p97o7ue1Xi1rdfwwzo10_500.gif

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they handled it in the worst way possible, marking his tweets for what felt like months with special tags that read like trophies to his base and their delusion.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the similar thread when Angela Merkel said this. The point is it should be up to private companies, but independent regulators.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Fuck sake. No. Absolutely not. The guy incited riots, and violence on people - and held America hostage with his words. No way, he doesn't deserve a platform. This isn't a freedom of speech issue since TOS/private company/etc that everyone is subjected to (Trump isn't the only person banned).

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
Man this is going to get 100's of replies isn't it. Anyway, I don't agree with the take, but I get why he said it.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Get back to me when it happens with someone else and we'll see how much I give a shit for that individual.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a coincidence, vulnerable demographics didn't feel comfortable with his Twitter account.

Oct 12, 2020
He is right. Merkel said the same. Today it may be an evil guy like Trump, but tomorrow it could be some politician, activist or else, which Twitter doesn't like and therefore they could become a kingsmaker. Twitter not banning Trump for the longest time had the opposite effect for example. We shouldn't give a company so much power.
This is a complex and new form of issus, which is hard to resolve ...

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Bernie Sanders: I'm very concerned hate speech and calls to violence aren't given a massive platform on Twitter.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
There's not a 1st Amendment problem here when we're talking about a private platform.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Trump should 100% be banned but it shouldn't be Social Media platforms choosing to ban him.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sorry Bernie, but this ain't it. Trump has been stoking the flames of bigotry as well as inciting a coup through Twitter. If anything, Trump should have been axed from social media platforms sooner.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
He is right. Merkel said the same. Today it may be an evil guy like Trump, but tomorrow it could be some politician, activist or else, which Twitter doesn't like and therefore they could become a kingsmaker.
This is a complex and new form of issus, which is hard to resolve ...

I mean we already know that Facebook is pushing right wing media sources into feeds of people who didn't like or follow them, so why is the concern always expressed towards one side being censored?

So many people seem to care about Trump getting equitable treatment but not Mother Jones.

When Twitter censors a legitimate user we can complain. In fact, that's something that's happened many times before!

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When someone with "a very different point of view" uses that to incite an insurrection that strikes at the heart of democracy itself, by all means ban their ass from Twitter too.

Yeah... This.

There needs to be some kind of standard, here. It's a pretty low bar but starting with "Dude started/perpetuated a violent insurrection" is the bare minimum for any functioning society.