• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Yep, this is an hot take thread.
Come here to be mad and get mad, sometime at the same time.

Let me start this thread in due form with :
Green+Goblin+Art+Legal.jpg

I'll never understand the love that this design gets from fans of the web-head around the world. It's legit just a dude in an halloween costume, nothing more. And a bad halloween costume at that. Seriously, people can trash Raimi's design all they want but at least it works in live-action without looking completely stupid.
I get that comic book design are always going to look kinda dumb but Green Goblin is especially dumb to me. Even Mysterio is more threatening then this goofball.
I largely prefer the more "body-horror" style that they tried to go with for ASM2 over every other design too.
There, I said it.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Most super heroes. Why y'all dressed like bats, and spiders, and the American flag and shit.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Classic Kratos. The new design from the 2018 game is excellent, but his original design just looked dumb to me and I was always baffled that people considered it good. The argument says it conveyed his personality of being a brutal asshole perfectly, but he was just a muscular dude, and his ashe white skin and random red whirl didn't do that. There's a better argument for his body language, in how he stomps about with his head in a lowered position, but it kind of takes a backseat once the fight actually starts because where his character is more of a barbarian rage monster that mainly relies on his overpowering strength, the story calls him a skillful warrior (when he doesn't really display skills in the traditional sense) and his actual gameplay is more of a....dancer? Because of how the chains of chaos work like they do, he's twirling most of the time, so you get a wierd sense of grace as opposed to power from his actual moveset.

So the personality of Kratos says he's an incoherent rage monster, the story says he's an efficient tactical warrior, and the gameplay says he's a ballerina.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Any Square Enix character with spiky hair and a big sword. And yes, that's an awful lot.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Does anyone actually think the character designs are good?

I'm sure there are people who like Pyra/Mythra (didn't they just like do multiple runs of statues costing hundreds of dollars?). But show me the person who thinks Rex's design is awesome.

I loved Wolfman and Perez's New Teen Titans, but the vast majority of those designs are kind of trash. Now Perez doesn't take the blame for the classic Robin costume but man those shorts. Kid Flash too I think was barely redesigned and is terrible. Changeling just has the Doom Patrol outfit on for some reason. Raven and Wonder Girl are ok. But Starfire's bikini and Cyborg's wife-beater and stockings are terrible. Then later on you have disco Nightwing and Jericho.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I see the "beloved" premise is gonna be paper thin as the thread goes ahead lol

Anyway for me it's
26173204780390.jpeg

Despise is a really strong word, but I really heavily dislike Sam's Captain America suit, the MCU version of it specifically, though I don't really think the comic counterpart it's much better. It doesn't help that i do hate Captain America's classic suit as well.

71zcEz+OV4L.jpg

Ugh. What a fucking clown.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
And here I thought you had good taste.

(I think MC is more generic than anything. Too broad to hate. I do like the shiny reflection of his helmet visor tho, and the Halo 4/5 designs imo were way worse. The bulky green armor he has in infinite is probably the best he's looked imo, but if I'm being honest, Doom Slayer from Doom 2016 is easily the better space marine armor)

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Not really sure if this guy is "Beloved" but, Leon from Pokemon SwSh
250px-Sword_Shield_Leon.png

Maybe it's his hat. Or his facial hair. Or his fluffy cape. I don't know. I'm also realizing I just straight up dislike Soccer/Football/Cyclist style jerseys like that. A blue sword, red shield, on black with white vertical pinstripes, topped off with gold hemming? Everything about this dude is overdesigned.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are people who like Pyra/Mythra (didn't they just like do multiple runs of statues costing hundreds of dollars?). But show me the person who thinks Rex's design is awesome.
And even without accounting for pricey collectibles targeted toward enthusiasts, it's extremely unlikely that XB2 ended up being as successful as it was (the developer's biggest success to date) with the overwhelming majority of consumers finding nothing to like about the game's aesthetics among any of the designs. Just as unlikely that Nintendo would bother with devoting resources to DLC content for Smash that they suspected no one would want (the remaining stock for XB2 itself in Japan also selling out following that announcement).

For someone to conclude "I don't like this" with something is one thing, to insist "I don't like this, therefore obviously no one else does either" is another.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I don't care for character designs in a lot of art styles. For instance, I've seldom encountered a Disney character design I much care for. Also, my exposure to anime is limited, but of what I've seen, I have yet to discover a character design I haven't actively disliked.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa and Yuffie from FF7.

Nothing more appropriate as going into battle against legions of monsters and armies in shorts + bare midriff tank top.

Cammy from Street Fighter.

Like every ounce of restraint Capcom went to not go full horny on Chin Li was unleashed on Cammy.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know it is beloved, I know it is a classic, and I know I will get flak.

But this is not the costume of a warrior.
02ww-00-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

I know she has better costumes (more akin to greek militia), but the classic "bathing suit" has always been terrible to me.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I feel like "despise" might be too strong a word in some cases, but I'll just post the stuff anyway.

latest

0kZ5nBLVvUg1RWMH5kvbaeM6.png

Last edited:

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Kratos is beloved right? I can't stand the way he looks. Please tell me people just like the character but don't actually want to look like him?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this is an hot take thread.
Come here to be mad and get mad, sometime at the same time.

Let me start this thread in due form with :
Green+Goblin+Art+Legal.jpg

I'll never understand the love that this design gets from fans of the web-head around the world. It's legit just a dude in an halloween costume, nothing more. And a bad halloween costume at that. Seriously, people can trash Raimi's design all they want but at least it works in live-action without looking completely stupid.
I get that comic book design are always going to look kinda dumb but Green Goblin is especially dumb to me. Even Mysterio is more threatening then this goofball.
I largely prefer the more "body-horror" style that they tried to go with for ASM2 over every other design too.
There, I said it.

I'll do you one better, the character is garbage too. Doc Ock 4 Lyfe!

Seriously, his whole identity and backstory was an afterthought, and Ditko quit when Stan Lee insisted that they reveal his ID and also have him be associated with Peter's social circle.

A few others:

Spawn (way way too busy)
DCEU Batman
Thor (nearly any comics version).

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Toon Link, ie. Wind Waker Link.

I love that Wind Waker is cel-shaded, and mostly the game is drop-dead gorgeous. But I fucking hate that giant, noseless head on noodle-armed, legless toddler body design. It's so absurd. He looks like a balloon. His sword clips into the ground because his arms are longer than his nearly non-existent legs.

Ever since the 1st Zelda game, I dreamed of a game where the manual art was what the game actually looked like. Wind Waker accomplished that, for the first time, but in a mangled Monkey Paw sort of way.

Thankfully, Zelda games since then have not (all) stuck with that hideous design.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
And even without accounting for pricey collectibles targeted toward enthusiasts, it's extremely unlikely that XB2 ended up being as successful as it was (the developer's biggest success to date) with the overwhelming majority of consumers finding nothing to like about the game's aesthetics among any of the designs. Just as unlikely that Nintendo would bother with devoting resources to DLC content for Smash that they suspected no one would want (the remaining stock for XB2 itself in Japan also selling out following that announcement).

For someone to conclude "I don't like this" with something is one thing, to insist "I don't like this, therefore obviously no one else does either" is another.
The thing about Pyra and Mythra is that they have a lot of elements of good, coherent design, but it's completely offset by their outfits being unnecessarily sexualized. Like if Mythra had had her smash design from the start, and Pyra got a similarly less sexualized design(her smash redesign doesn't even really change much except covering her behind a bit more) I think that they would be considered pretty decently designed characters.

Oct 26, 2017
d0Qlbo9.png

Probably just me, but it feels like the transition from Classic Mega Man to X is one that would've been ridiculed in any era except the 90s.