Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 357 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 2,583 87.9%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
From what I'm seeing (and it could be wrong), it's 54% of people in Denmark have complete, moderate, or a little belief in the certainty of God, and 46% that have none.

I think these numbers are going to be a bit higher than most people expect for most countries.

Seems like the numbers were 37% in the last big poll done in 2019. But I think it's kinda hard to judge here since most people have such a casual relationship with religion. But one of the least religious countries out there.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Umm, no?

1944 98%
1947 98%
1950s 98%
1960s 98%
2011 92%
2017 87%
2022 81%

It was a long time with very little movement, and then an 11% drop in 11 years.
Damn, my penchant for linear interpolation (and extrapolation) has led me astray!

But, honestly, those data points are far too spread out to make even that claim ("there was little movement for a long time"). We know nothing about how it might have moved up and down in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. And a lot of stuff happened in those decades.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
this isn't just a US thing at all. nor did I say everyone wouldn't be religious. but it's clearly a thing.
Sorry, but your post was incredibly US or at the very least western centric.

The idea that boomers dying out will have a massive impact on GLOBAL religion is nonsense.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Sorry, but your post was incredibly US or at the very least western centric.

The idea that boomers dying out will have a massive impact on GLOBAL religion is nonsense.
not really, imo. yes, islam/christianity is going strong around the globe and other religions too. but overall, if your supposition that somehow millenials/gen-y/alpha in other countries are somehow vastly different and unique then those in the west, that is indeed westernised nonsense on your end. we can agree to disagree there. this is all education and cascading effects therein. you'll see in time.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not a great question really, are you practicing religion, going to church, baptised etc. I'm sure there is probably more who were brought up with religion but don't go to church or whatever and maybe won't bring their kids up with religion either.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
not really, imo. yes, islam/christianity is going strong around the globe and other religions too. but overall, if your supposition that somehow millenials/gen-y/alpha in other countries are somehow vastly different and unique then those in the west, that is indeed nonsense on your end. we can agree to disagree there. this is all education and cascading effects therein.

Your posts had no solid basis and was projecting your view of the US onto the world, no need to spin that back at me.

The "boomer" generation has already left it's mark enough for it to carry over for a long while, too, even if its true that younger people are less likely to be religiously affiliated in many countries.

Supreme Bean

Banned
May 28, 2022
To be fair, the CoE is only because Henry VIII wanted his marriage annulled so he could remarry and have a male heir, and stuck two fingers up at the pope over it. Whereas US religiosity is perhaps more down to it being founded by a highly religious group leaving the UK. So we ended up with the CoE being both pretty mild as Christian churches go, while also still having Bishops in the Lords as a relic of an ancient setup. While the US ended up having a lot of religious influence but also the sense to keep it out of the constitution.
That may have been Henry's motivation, but broadly a lot of the people pushing protestantism in the UK were fervent believers and extremely zealous. A lot of catholics were murdered. By the end of the civil war the country was run by extremely religious nutters.
Look at the issue with James II, deposed because he was Catholic.
Britain, like most of Europe was a very debut country until recently. We just seem to have dropped it all much faster than in the US.

Dec 2, 2017
81%?? Holy crap thats high. Google says for comparisons sake in the UK

British%20belief%20God%20higher%20spiritual%20power.png

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
That may have been Henry's motivation, but broadly a lot of the people pushing protestantism in the UK were fervent believers and extremely zealous. A lot of catholics were murdered. By the end of the civil war the country was run by extremely religious nutters.
Look at the issue with James II, deposed because he was Catholic.
Britain, like most of Europe was a very debut country until recently. We just seem to have dropped it all much faster than in the US.
Yeah fair points.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
My wife and kids are Jewish and there are a couple of atheists in the Synagogue we used to belong to. It doesn't seem to be that unusual

That's generally described as being culturally religious. Not that unusual at all. Now whether those people would openly label themselves as atheist (or in a case of a poll like this, affirm a lack of belief in God) is another matter, especially in the United States.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
Anectdotal, but here in Scotland, I don't know anyone who believes. Well apart from a couple of family members who are over 70.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
That is way too fucking high.

Wish those people would look at what's actually going on in this country instead.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
American is obsessed with religion to a really unhealthy degree.

In politics being openly atheist is a death sentence, polls show that atheists are not trusted by voters.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
That is insanely high.
Depending on the country, those numbers are about double what they wrote be in Europe.

I wonder why Christianity the US had persisted much more. In the UK we don't have a separation of church and state, and religious schools are widespread, and funded by the state (free).

I've been wondering about same thing too, but in comparison with Nordic countries. They are among the most godless countries in the world, despite having literal legally defined state churches. In case on my home country Finland I think that the national church being part of the state bureaucracy has effectively defanged it, and almost entire nation being just Lutherans means that Finnish secularism has always been more about freedom FROM religion instead of freedom OF religion.

I personally really love it how little religion matters here, I can't imagine living somewhere where pretending to be religious would be expectation.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly it boggles my mind how so many people can believe in god or any religion in this day and age. And I don't even subscribe to the whole Big Bang theory, I just don't think anyone knows and will ever really know how we are here but Earth is definitely not the centre of the universe and we are not special. Even if there is an all seeing deity that created everything (and I don't believe that's the case either personally but I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know better than anyone else), they don't know or care about us in any way shape or form.

Nov 4, 2017
80% of the most powerful nation on earth takes 2000 year old orders from an imaginary wizard???

hmmm...
The weird part is that they don't even listen to their imaginary friend. If they actually did listen to the wizard from 2000 years ago, they probably wouldn't be:
  • Bombing innocent civilians for oil
  • Separating immigrant children from families and locking them in cages
  • Letting children get shot at school
  • Bankrupting people for minor illness or injury
  • Executing innocent people for crimes they didn't commit
If you read the source material, my boy J-Chrizzle was super against that kind of shit.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I don't find this particularly surprising, a lot of people say they believe in whatever god/gods are most popular in their region because that's what their parents told them to say when they were kids so why change it now

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

Any idea if this is just about believing in the christian god or all religion? I'm surprised to see Germany so low. I would have expected at least 75% from them.

Although maybe a lot of people say they're atheist because they're scared the wrong person overhears and the government starts knocking on their door to collect "outstanding" church tax. It's disgusting for me that the german government is levying a church tax on behalf of religious institutions.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to think we have a creator but I don't care about any religion bc that has man's fingerprints all over it for control purposes. It's hard to believe all of this was just spontaneous luck with no "creator" or "god" behind it.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I ponder if a decent chunk of that 81% is merely "spiritual" but would rather not say they don't believe in god?

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Any idea if this is just about believing in the christian god or all religion? I'm surprised to see Germany so low. I would have expected at least 75% from them.

Probably about believing in God/higher power in general. In case of Finland, according to research done in 2015, 33% of Finns believes in the God of Christianity, 19% believes in some kind of God but not the way church teaches, 14% are agnostics, 7% are doubters leaning towards disbelief, 23% are atheists and 3% didn't want to say.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Not a great question really, are you practicing religion, going to church, baptised etc. I'm sure there is probably more who were brought up with religion but don't go to church or whatever and maybe won't bring their kids up with religion either.

I'm not sure why those other questions would matter when they are asking if people believe in a god. People can believe in a god without going to church or practicing a certain religion. Though, I'm not sure it matters whether they are practicing or not when it comes to things like how they vote and such.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Although maybe a lot of people say they're atheist because they're scared the wrong person overhears and the government starts knocking on their door to collect "outstanding" church tax. It's disgusting for me that the german government is levying a church tax on behalf of religious institutions.

All religion. This is the source:

www.pewresearch.org

Eastern and Western Europeans Differ on Importance of Religion, Views of Minorities, and Key Social Issues

The European continent today is split in public attitudes toward religion, minorities and social issues such as gay marriage and legal abortion.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The number of posts in here dunking on believers of religion are quite disrespectful tbh. It's completely acceptable to believe or not believe in God, but don't be an ass and ridicule people for it. It makes the whole lot of you seem childish.

Bolsonaro won in Brazil (my country) because of evangelicals and many people died for it plus Amazon rainforest is being destroyed... so yeah, I don't care about people being "mean" on a board. Their damage is much bigger.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I've seen the history Channel. I know they God is the title of leader of the angelic race of aliens. The ones who stranded here on earth and altered the DNA of our ancestors in order to establish a supply of labor to harvest rare earth metals in order to repair their ship and move on.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Hard to believe in God after Trump. A kind god would've picked another spermatozoid to fertilize that egg. One less orange and Hitlery.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
There are some uses for religion, yeah. I know for a fact that many people are only "good" because they believe in religion, karma, and all that. Take that belief away, and who knows what kind of monsters they'd become?
An America with the majority not believing there are eternal consequences for their actions? Woof. Dangerous times ahead for our selfish lot.

God identifies as Him in the bible, amongst many other words.
Eh, that's due to language. God is supposed to be above having a gender/sex and the Holy Spirit is often ascribed as having feminine traits. Jesus was clearly male though. We actually just had this discussion in Mass last week, lol.