• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I look into the Gaming Setups thread and see these super nice houses/apartments, and think about how big of a failure I am. I'd be embarrassed to admit where and how I live. I've noticed you post mental health related subjects before, and if you can spare yourself any grief then do. If something is making you feel inferior or not good enough, stay away from it. There's already enough negative reinforcement out there.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about shortages at launch is that once you have the thing, you just sort of start assuming that everyone else has one, too. I got lucky to snag a 3080 shortly after release, and I stopped paying attention to the pre-order threads. I was kind of surprised to find out just the other day that they're still sold out everywhere.

But the flip side happens too. This is the first Playstation launch in more than twenty years where I haven't had one on launch day, and there's no telling how long before I'll be able to snag one. So even getting lucky in some things, still unlucky in others, so I feel ya.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
What I don't get is how some on here have time for all these new releases. I swear I see some people in like 3 or 4 of the newest OT game threads every week
Back when all I did was work, play games, and maybe hang out with friends once or twice a week, I could blow through games like crazy. Maybe not the case for everyone here, but it is possible.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I know what you're talking about, OP. I've been there. Most of my young life my family has lived pay check to pay check and from one debt to another.
Whenever a new console would be announced I'd actually be upset b/c I didn't know how I'd be able to afford it and miss out. I remember having to sell every little thing, save every dollar from birthdays and events to even skipping lunch, so I could save up to buy one.

It was extremely difficult for me to become financially stable and to a place where I could afford these things comfortably.
You can do it, OP. Best advice I can give you is don't buy stuff on debt - unless it's car or house.

EDIT: I don't know which country you live in, OP. That really dictates how difficult it is to break out of a financial rut. I'm in the USA - so I was able to work my way out of it. Some of my family in Pakistan are stuck in it forever.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... that's being on the web period these days. Social media is cars houses vacations and all manner of things you'll never afford. YouTube is endless people buying crazy expensive shit to they can poop on it or see if it can survive a brick smash or millionaire tech pundits saying "lol! Doesn't even have active noise actuation dampening synthesizing feedback! What a hunk. Do not recommend! .... big shout out to LG for sending me this 100" nanocell tv btw!"

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
No need to rush things, enjoy things at your pace, I can't even afford to pay for mp with ps+ right now, I just want to play online and enjoy the games I've already paid for. I would love to eventually buy a series S for my regular tv, gamepass looks amazing for someone like me, it is pretty funny to watch people suffering because of their backlogs, I could do with less "why don't people just by every console and have a super pc" type of comments.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Last console launch I had 1 year old kid, bills were mounting and I had to borrow money to live. Reading the 'old place' it was easy to get swept up in the hype and feel like the generation was passing me by.

It took two years but I eventually got both an Xbox One and PS4, even with a 2nd kid. Money got better at work, we paid off a personal loan and life got a little easier in general.

It's always swings and roundabouts. 7 years after the PS4 my kids are now 5 and 8. I got made redundant last year but ended up in a new job paying me more than I've ever been paid before. I've a PS5 coming Thursday (can't play it till Christmas though!) and we're looking at a 4K TV in the new year.

A lot has happened in that 7 years. Whose to say you won't be in a better position come time for the PS6?

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't get is how some on here have time for all these new releases. I swear I see some people in like 3 or 4 of the newest OT game threads every week

Haha this is definitely something I sympathise with. More money is always nice, but the sheer amount of time that some posters seem to have is what makes me the most jealous. Between work and family, I can barely ever sit down to play something for a decent stretch of time.

Dec 18, 2017
OP save your money. The secret to life is to look forward and not at what others have or rather what you don't. If you want it, make it happen. Once we were all young, and now 20 years later we have good credit.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, no one "needs" this stuff. It's all superfluous hobbyist stuff that shouldn't be in anyone's priorities list. Specially if one's going through a difficult financial situation.
You understand this is an enthusiast forum, meaning it's not really representative of most people. For example, most people (even well off people) don't upgrade their TV for a long time. Also, not having access to stuff doesn't mean you can't have an informed opinion and still participate in the discussion.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I feel like every time I come on here, I get hit with a huge wave of FOMO in terms of what I don't have. I haven't been able to get a new console and probably won't until next year. I don't have a great TV. I feel in the minority. I know this is an enthusiast forum, but I feel so behind everyone on here. I'm young and am not rich, can't afford to spend tons and tons of money on TVs and new consoles. So for some reason I feel shut out of a lot of conversation here.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Maybe I just need to take a break because it's causing me to stress.

Don't stress and just make LTTP threads for things you are able to play and people will join you there.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
sorry that you're having such a rough time.

The real wealth is to want nothing. I find it so hard when other things suck, but you'll feel better lf you can focus on what you have.

I enjoy the hype but I know that right now a shiny new TV and console and the few games would not make my life significantly better.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It's an enthusiast forum that will naturally attract people who are buying consoles Day 1. There's no shame or anything in waiting until price drops/more games to jump in. Only the most hardcore fans buy consoles day 1.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Try to remember that possessions can also be a burden. People don't tend to share the hoarding, spiralling debt, damaged relationships or other negative aspects that can sometimes go along with advanced consumerism.

Try to enjoy the subjects that interest you and the topics/games within your reach. There's a lot of good entertainment to be had for little money.

There's always someone who has more, doesn't mean they're happier or living a better life.

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
I'm older and not so poor, and trust me, getting out of the tech rat race is freeing. Buy tvs when they hit your price range, buy games on sale instead of day one, play through your backlog at the start of a generation. You end up getting better choices as a not-so-early adopter, even if you can't partake in every launch thread.
Completely agreed. I am in a similar position and could easily buy the new consoles, however I am more keen to upgrade the PC since I still carry a "dinosaur" CPU (i7 950) that has served me well over the last decade. Again, I'll wait until the new year for this to occur because I have too many other games that are still widely available to play.

OP - the sooner you reject this mentality of a "rat race" in the chase for tech & entertainment, the better your freedom of choice for a multitude of reasons. Don't let it swallow you because at the end of the day it means nothing beyond short-lived dopamine hits.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Reminds me of when i was working as a mechanic in Short Hills which is a very well to do neighborhood in NJ . I worked on cars that to most people on the planet it would be privilege to even see in real life in the wild , let alone touch ,work on and even drive in a few cases. AAANNDDD there I was with my little put-put Acura intgera that I slapped a fart can on lol. You get used to it and then start ignoring it and before you know it you don't care anymore .I Loved my put-put 😊😊

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Probably will be mostly skipping this console generation like the last.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
It's okay OP! I'm not going to get a PS5 till next year (hopefully) and I didn't get a PS4 till 2016. Money is tight, but hopefully in the future I can be comfortable and buy more toys on day one. But in the meantime, know that there are tons of folks like us and most of them aren't on this forum.

(I do find it funny that a lot of people here are saying "It's okay!" and then immediately mentioning that they are getting a PS5/XSX this week. Nothing wrong with it, just kind of a quirky observation.)

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Don't forget there is a pandemic going on so lots of people are spending alot more time at home than they used to.

I'm saving about £200 - £300 a week now by not being able to go out for entertainment/food etc.

Some of that is going on other entertainment such as games which in turns leads me here more talking about them.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you only feel like your missing out if your super aware of what's going on. Sometimes it's nice to step away and forget what others are doing.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
This is also a lot harder with social media nowadays. I don't use it much, but I've heard some horror stories of people living well beyond their means to show others how much they can spend at Christmas, on holidays etc...it's doesn't seem financially or mentally healthy

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who started on gaf around 2016 I deffinitely felt like I was poor AF compared to others. Now I would say I'm probably in the top 20% of people as far as spending stupid amounts of money on tech. The best way to go about it is to figure out where your comfortable sacrificing. For example my surround sound system is atleast 8+ years old at this point. I know some people on here would go crazy if that's the level of audio they were dealing with. Some people here are perfectly happy with 1080P but I could never go back to not having an oled again.

Another good thing to do is have side hustles. I do online surveys and can a little bit of cash when I put my mind to it.

So I got a ps5 and series X this week. Thats a $1200 purchase after sales tax. Heard the thing though. I didn't spend a single dollar for them. I traded in my ps4 pro and one x to gamestop for $400. The remaining $800 was a combination of me selling games on ebay after I've beaten them and just letting the cash build up in my PayPal. I would estimate that was about 75% of the $800 with the rest of it coming from the online surveys I mentioned earlier. The majority of which I did on my breaks at work or commute so I didn't spend a ton of "me time" doing those either.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I played TLOU II on my base PS4 and a 1080 TV, my game of the gen.

People with 3080s and OLEDs are the minority OP.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Don't feel bad... I don't have even a TV for years and only a 5 year old computer that cant play any shit game lol

dab0ne

Oct 27, 2017
The fomo is real so I won't Intentionally minimize it, but the reality is you're not really missing anything. I, personally, am waiting a year to get my PS5/SX because every single console launch known to man has had hiccups. I'd rather wait and grab one down the road when more of the kinks worked out. Plus I'll be able to get the launch games I missed much cheaper.

When it comes to not having the new hotness... you're not alone. I'm here with ya!

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Social media, internet in general can get stressful because we always end up comparing out lives with everyone that's doing better than us and forget about everyone that's doing worse.
The truth is, you're probably still doing much better than the majority of the entire world population.

Also, ERA has a lot of people in their 40's. People that have been working for decades, etc...You said you were young. Don't worry too much.
Probably most people posting pictures of these huge setups now in their 40's or late 30's, were living like you when they were younger.

Don't stress about it as much and don't compare your lives guys. That's not healthy. It's okay to analyze ourselves and go "i think i should be in a much better place in life". But don't let it get to you.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never had a ps3 until the very end of the generation because I couldn't afford one, so I get it, but really these new consoles only have a couple games (well, the XSX really has no games) so you're not really missing that much. You can get it/them later when there's a lot more to do on them and it'll be fine

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been gaming on the same $200 monitor for over ten years now.

You don't need the latest and greatest to enjoy gaming.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Definitely take a break if you feel that will help, OP.

I know what you're talking about, OP. I've been there. Most of my young life my family has lived pay check to pay check and from one debt to another.
Whenever a new console would be announced I'd actually be upset b/c I didn't know how I'd be able to afford it and miss out. I remember having to sell every little thing, save every dollar from birthdays and events to even skipping lunch, so I could save up to buy one.

It was extremely difficult for me to become financially stable and to a place where I could afford these things comfortably.
You can do it, OP. Best advice I can give you is don't buy stuff on debt - unless it's car or house.

EDIT: I don't know which country you live in, OP. That really dictates how difficult it is to break out of a financial rut. I'm in the USA - so I was able to work my way out of it. Some of my family in Pakistan are stuck in it forever.

I relate to a lot of the above. I grew up in the projects and asked that most of my gifts be video games growing up...

There's no shame in being in a different part of that journey and most people keep their hard times to themselves, which makes it so that the only people posting are telling you how great they have it.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I got a 4K TV this year and the internet has me bummed I didn't shell out $1500 to make sure it supports 120Hz and VRR. The shut enthusiasts on Reset are talking about being essential for gaming or whatever are things that like 1% of people have in actuality. Don't let it get to you. The reality of not getting a new console til next year is that you'll wait a few extra months to play like two or three games. The current-gen versions of everything releasing right now are perfectly fine. Not having that OLED TV or whatever isn't going to make any of your games worse.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I've been gaming on the same $200 monitor for over ten years now.

You don't need the latest and greatest to enjoy gaming.
I enjoyed gaming much more when I had less money because I had more time and less responsibilities.

Pictures and things don't equate to happiness either generally. At least not in the long term.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
There's hundreds and hundreds of fantastic games out there you've never played, waiting to shared and discussed. Why aren't you focusing on the quality and enjoyment of the games themselves, instead of the associated price tag? You're missing out on a... remake of 2009 game? This forum has a horrible obsession with general consumerism and the latest 'flavour of the month' releases, I'd agree.

The majority of people play on integrated graphics from like 10 years ago.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Don't worry about it OP. I'm here with my PS4 Pro which is my only expensive thing that'll be with me for years yet. I've got a small monitor with a load of dead pixels on it and I play all my games with a pair of beat up headphones.

The thing is, nobody needs the latest gear. The pandemic lockdown really opened my eyes to how I experienced FOMO and how it was negatively affecting my life financially and psychologically, so I sold most of the things I never used and I've been playing the hell out of old games I never finished. By the time you can afford these next gen consoles you might find you don't want them.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
To be clear, I have an Xbox One X, a PS4, a Switch and an older PC. I have a 4K TCL TV from a couple years ago. I am not doing poorly by any means but the people on this forum really get to me man. To be fair I know only one person in real life who got a PS5, the rest couldn't care less really.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someday you will grow up.

You may be richer, or be crazy rich, or whatever you will be that can afford these stupid consumer shit trap.

But true happiness is reading same comic you own 20 years ago, or play Persona 4 for the 20th time.

Chasing FOMO is stupid and will add only suffering.

*see OP post above*
Holy hell, you are already rich.
Give me time typing those words above back....

Status
Not open for further replies.