PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
The worst difficulty gap is between base song and custom songs.

and it's usually because of really poor arrow direction, not quality difficulty. The fun thing about the base songs is that, even when they're really hard, once you get the movement down it feels pretty natural; lot's of back and forth swinging, or switching between sabers - and everything is pretty accurately placed to the beat. Nothing kills my interest in a custom song more than swinging right multiple times in a row.

Heck, not to dogpile this early on customs, but - we've reached the point where throwing in a hallway of walls or spikes during a song interlude isn't really cool so if we could all just agree not to do that, ok thanks. That and rapid fire, "right left right left" like I'm a fuckin sith drummer - not a fan.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
huh that note about the difficulty gap to expert doesn't resonate with me. I've only had one other person play it and they got to Hard and hit a wall, but I really think with an hour or so the current track list is pretty well tuned.
I think the difficulty jump from Hard to Expert has been a common complaint. That said, I've noticed that learning one Expert song really well will improve your skills immensely for all of them.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Persona V's Life Will Change got uploaded and it was a total disappointment especially after someone did an excellent version of Last Surprise.

Quite a few of these custom songs have timing that feels off or movement that just does not feel natural so even if you don't lose it just doesn't feel good to execute.

Like Butterfly, it's *really* hard but even if you start doing well it doesn't feel right.

Favorite Customs so far:
Persona V Last Surprise
Captain Jack (GRANDALE MIX) - DDR 3rd MIX
Undertale - Megalovania (Cement City Remix) v.2

I think the difficulty jump from Hard to Expert has been a common complaint. That said, I've noticed that learning one Expert song really well will improve your skills immensely for all of them.

Ya, I broke my teeth on $100 bills expert and now the rest are easy. Once you start recognizing similar patterns it'll carry over to other songs.

Last edited:

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017

I guess - I mean it is definitely there, don't get me wrong. But a few hours ish and you can cruise through the OG songs on expert. Maybe I'm just not remembering old DDR but I owned those games and had a hard time passing standard - Rockband / Guitar Hero had a similar wall from Hard to Expert that I never fully passed after months.

EDIT: Gave the custom track builder a try - the 3d tool is really easy to get into.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Beat Saver site had a rating system. Tried a custom of Baby Metal's Gimme Chocolate and it was by far the worst beat saber level I've played yet.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Beat Saver site had a rating system. Tried a custom of Baby Metal's Gimme Chocolate and it was by far the worst beat saber level I've played yet.
It does on the site at least. The issue is the same as it is with Soundboxing though in that people don't go back and star songs they like. It's understandable with this game though since you have to go back to the site and the song to do it since it's an unofficial editor.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It does on the site at least. The issue is the same as it is with Soundboxing though in that people don't go back and star songs they like. It's understandable with this game though since you have to go back to the site and the song to do it since it's an unofficial editor.

Stars aren't a rating system though. Just because 100 people like something that doesn't tell me that 1000 people despised it. Also someone starred that song, so there's people out there that are insane.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Stars aren't a rating system though. Just because 100 people like something that doesn't tell me that 1000 people despised it. Also someone starred that song, so there's people out there that are insane.
Technically it's a rating system. Even if it's not a robust one and pretty flawed. I'd love to see something better implemented though. Preferably in game.

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any insight into if this will add Steam workshop support? I can get this either on Steam or Oculus and have credit with both but wondering if I might miss out on workshop stuff if that shows up at some point. I tend to just get stuff on the Oculus for convenience sake.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Did a second beat map!

Childish Gambino - This is America

Yo, that was great. Nice job, and cool to see someone doing more rap tracks.

I'm still like, 70% convinced that Black Skinhead could be one of the funnest Beat Saber songs but haven't dedicated the time to actually trying to chart something out.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, that was great. Nice job, and cool to see someone doing more rap tracks.

I'm still like, 70% convinced that Black Skinhead could be one of the funnest Beat Saber songs but haven't dedicated the time to actually trying to chart something out.
Thanks! I didn't think about Yeezus tracks. Gessafelstein's solo stuff has been pretty high on my possibilities for future tracks too.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This is Great. The haptic feedback is fantastic and the built-in tunes excellent.
Will make my wife try it. She usually does some in-house exercises so this might be a nice addition on the harder difficulties.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I destroyed this game and most of the custom songs. Some of them are pretty damn insane though on expert. This game is a legit workout.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Googling around I've seen varying reports that the devs have said it's coming to PSVR. Is there any recent official word on this? It looks amazing

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I saw it on my Steam queue last night and holy shit I wish I had VR for this.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the beat mapping sadists out there would tone it down a bit. There are so few custom tracks out there that I can actually beat. :(
Yes, agreed.
Even though I may be fine with it, almost everyone else I show the custom songs to fail within the first few seconds and that's just no fun cause the best songs in this game are the custom songs. Definitely tone it down a bit and have more easy & normal options as well.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the beat mapping sadists out there would tone it down a bit. There are so few custom tracks out there that I can actually beat. :(

I agree. A lot of these beat maps makes me feel like I'm playing a drumming game, just hitting the notes.

For me, it's at its most fun when I play ones that has me actually dancing like Beat It or Closer/Chain Smokers.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat my first couple of Expert songs, and neither of them were 100 Dollar Bills. The flow of the notes in the expert songs is immensely fun, and it's easy to see the note charts aren't so much about just the beat as giving the player a good set of motions to tear through the music with.

Next up, getting better so I can beat Expert songs with less than 40 notes missed. :)

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Finally tried out the custom course thing, because I had intended to wait for official support. But yeah some of the user stuff is great. I thought Midnight City would suck from the YouTube video, I didn't think it would work well for the game, but playing it was 'holy shit'.

This is the track I want to complete the most. (I don't think it's actually the hardest, but maybe it just makes sense to me)

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
How do I add custom songs now? Literally just bought the game.

Edit: woohoo got it!!

Edit 2: These custom beats pretty much cement my opinion that you fucking nerds should not dictate videogame difficulty levels. Hahaha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I am not the only one who find those custom made songs difficulty.

Those are crazy

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm glad I am not the only one who find those custom made songs difficulty.

Those are crazy
For me it's not just hard, they're not fun. It's like they're made to be punishing, which I don't feel like the core Beat Saber tracks are ever quite that. I haven't played much Expert, but I'm confident they don't throw their design practices out of a window for those.