• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
While I'm hardly a rhythm game buff, I do like them. Maybe I won't pull off a full combo on Through the Fire and Flames, and god forbid how ridiculous I'd look playing Dance Dance Revolution, but stuff like Rez, Parappa the Rapper, Rhythm Heaven, Space Channel 5, Osu, Electroplankton and that kind of stuff is right up my alley. Maybe a better way to put it, is that I absolutely adore games that mix gameplay with music to achieve that almost synesthesic connection between those two elements.

Now, Beat Saber is a game I've been aware of for a while. It's arguably the most popular VR game out there, and for a pretty good reason: it's simply amazing. If you don't know what it's about, take a look:

The gist of it is this: you have two differently-colored lightsabers, and you gotta cut in half blocks that come at you at the beat of the music. It's a very easy concept to understand, and you really don't do anything else during the game, but words cannot describe how amazing of an experience it is.

The most key element of Beat Saber, in my opinion, is that from the very first moment you put the headset on you feel like a badass. Even at first when I could only finish stages on normal, I never felt bad at the game, which only encourages you to keep playing and getting better because you're having fun. Contrasting this with my experience with OsuMania where at first I could barely finish the easiest stages (which are also pretty damn boring), it's simply night and day. It's also a rhythm game that doesn't use any buttons. This makes it extremely accessible to everyone regardless of their experience with videogames and why Beat Saber is just a good showcase (nothing to possibly give you motion sickness as well) for people who haven't tried VR yet.

It's also so fucking addictive. Ever since getting it I've been pretty much playing it daily and I quite literally can't stop. It just feels so good to slash these blocks with your own lightsabers, dodge the walls and do silly poses whenever you have some time to rest mid-song. The only downside I can think of is that on the PSVR version you can't play custom songs so you're limited to the official songs, which isn't much of a problem for me as I dig pretty much all of them, but stuff like the Rasputin song from above is not possible. Hopefully Beat Games will find a way to implement something like an automapper that creates a level automatically from your own music, but I'm not expecting it at all.

Still, no matter the platform it's an amazing game. The $30 pricetag might be "steep" considering it literally has never gone on sale, but it's absolutely worth it.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
It's the one game that I have been able to hand over to first time VR players and everyone immediately has fun. Very little explanation required while still being immediately satisfying to play.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
I would add that some of the music packs are pretty bad (the Timbaland one doesn't suit the gameplay at all), but yeah, what an incredible experience. The quaranteen made me play it daily and I absolutely got better at it. Besides, you actually do some exercice while playing the game : when playing in expert difficulty, 1h of gametime makes me burn about 500 calories, which is a pretty neat and fun way to do some exercice.

It totally was my system seller for the PSVR and probably the best system seller since Sonic 2 IMHO.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Still, no matter the platform it's an amazing game. The $30 pricetag might be "steep" considering it literally has never gone on sale, but it's absolutely worth it.

YES. The platform matters. PSVR version is drastically inferior, due to the fact of no custom songs. In my case I feel bad as a customer and ripped off.

The game was amazing though ... at least while the small and limited soundtrack felt fresh. Even though I have gotten pretty good on expert, the difficulty is all over the place and looses all sense of rhythm and purpose. So ... hard gets old quickly and expert is absurd. The game never found the correct balance.

Anyway ... it was good. My favorite VR experience still is Astro Bot.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I would add that some of the music packs are pretty bad (the Timbaland one doesn't suit the gameplay at all), but yeah, what an incredible experience. The quaranteen made me play it daily and I absolutely got better at it. Besides, you actually do some exercice while playing the game : when playing in expert difficulty, 1h of gametime makes me burn about 500 calories, which is a pretty neat and fun way to do some exercice.

It totally was my system seller for the PSVR and probably the best system seller since Sonic 2 IMHO.
I still haven't bought any of the packs. Will probably grab both Monstercat ones and Panic at the Disco later. Still baffling they did a Greenday one but I guess they wanted some variety.

YES. The platform matters. PSVR version is drastically inferior, due to the fact of no custom songs. In my case I feel bad as a customer and ripped off.

The game was amazing though ... at least while the small and limited soundtrack felt fresh. Even though I have gotten pretty good on expert, the difficulty is all over the place and looses all sense of rhythm and purpose. So ... hard gets old quickly and expert is absurd. The game never found the correct balance.

Anyway ... it was good. My favorite VR experience still is Astro Bot.
I literally mention that in the paragraph above the one you quoted.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
There's something about the mix of the beat of the music, rhythmically move your body to it, slicing through the blocks and the haptic feedback...it is addictive. And a good game to be addicted to, as between the exhaustion from playing and the strain from the VR, I can only really play at most a couple hours a day. But I've only not played one day since Jan 21 when I first got my headset...

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
I still haven't bought any of the packs. Will probably grab both Monstercat ones and Panic at the Disco later. Still baffling they did a Greenday one but I guess they wanted some variety.

Monstercat is a very good pack, two or three of the songs are an absolute BLAST to play in Beat Saber! If you have a few bucks left, the Rocket League pack is my favourite one, the songs sound like they were made for this kind of gameplay. I Highly recommend it :)

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019

I've bought the game twice, once on Oculus, once on Steam (updates with mods are a PITA on Quest. super quick and simple on Steam). I still feel it's the best money I've spent on a game in years.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I need to pull out the VR and finally bite the bullet on getting this on PS4.

My only thing is, we're pretty late in the cycle. I hope any PSVR titles purchased are usable on PSVR2.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to get this for PSVR but I am not into really any of the music. Is it still possible to have a good time if the music isn't your thing?

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
I really want to get this for PSVR but I am not into really any of the music. Is it still possible to have a good time if the music isn't your thing?

I'm a huge fan of Rocket League but I always thought the music was very bad. When I bought the Rocket League music pack for Beat Saber I thought it was the best music pack because it was very fitting with the gameplay. So in my case: yeah, I totally have an amazing time with the game although I'm not into this kind of electronic music.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yea it's really awesome, I wish I played on a wireless headset though since it's probably way better with that freedom.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Quest just for Beat Saber and it's 100% worth it.

Lost 29 pounds, new songs weekly, ton of fun. Yes, it really is a system seller, and worth buying a Quest just for one game. I play it at least 4 times a week for an hour each time, and have been for 6 months. Never boring.

Sideloading songs is super easy.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Rocket League but I always thought the music was very bad. When I bought the Rocket League music pack for Beat Saber I thought it was the best music pack because it was very fitting with the gameplay. So in my case: yeah, I totally have an amazing time with the game although I'm not into this kind of electronic music.

that's good to hear. I've been contemplating getting it, seems like a perfect quarantine game my whole family could play.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Yeah! Although, if you wanted your favorite music tracks in the game you could shell out another 100 dollars for a wireless Quest and sideload your songs into the application using a computer and USB-C cable.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I only started to watch this game afer ive seen rasputin video of Omotea. She´s incredible, dancing and playing having fun.

Souzetsu

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah I've been playing Beat Saber with my Valve Index and it's been a blast. Plus custom songs really bring a lot more life to it.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I like it but I have a hard timing having fun with it alone. Playing with more people is fun though.

The "campaign" sucks with some bs objectives like "min combo 30" "max combo 35" meaning you are supposed to make the wrong moves every 35 blocks otherwise you lose. A game designed for you to fckng lose. This is the ultimate bs. I dont have much fun playing alone, but the game really is great.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Saber and Superhot VR are THE games to show someone what VR is all about. Both are so natural and you can literally put on the headset and know exactly what to do

Oct 28, 2017
I am not a huge fan of the band but the Imagine Dragons DLC pack is awesome. Believer in 360 mode is my favorite demo in VR right now.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Saber and Superhot VR are THE games to show someone what VR is all about. Both are so natural and you can literally put on the headset and know exactly what to do

I think it's going to be a while before I get into VR. It seems this game, Half Life Alyx and Tetris Effect are top tier experiences?

And then I know there's also Moss and Astrobot (PS4 exclusive)?

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Beat Saber is one of those universally well-loved games. So easily to learn and so hard to put down, plus I don't think there's any risk of getting motion sickness from it.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Game single-handedly justified my VR purchase/upgrades. I love it. Every other good VR game is just a bonus at this point. Highly recommend. Great of Quest, too - I'd recommend people buy one just for this game - seriously it's that good.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Not really sure I follow. How would you control the Sabers without VR controllers? You would need to both move them and rotate them independently.
Camera tracking as it always required the camera to work anyway. I just thought without wearing the headset might make things easier until we have wireless headset.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Quest just for Beat Saber and it's 100% worth it.

Lost 29 pounds, new songs weekly, ton of fun. Yes, it really is a system seller, and worth buying a Quest just for one game. I play it at least 4 times a week for an hour each time, and have been for 6 months. Never boring.

Sideloading songs is super easy.
wow, good job dude

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Camera tracking as it always required the camera to work anyway. I just thought without wearing the headset might make things easier until we have wireless headset.
Even if you removed the walls so you don't have to dodge / crouch / etc, playing this without depth perception and physical tracking would be a nightmare. Your controllers would very easily go out of view from the camera.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
i haven't figured out how to do custom songs easily since youtube implementation was removed :(

but yes, super fun game. I like audio shield as well but this one has the whole "simpler is better" vibe

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic game, I just wish I had more room to move, my bed room is too small and while I can play without hitting anything, I can't crouch low enough ik those block sections.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
While I do enjoy rhythm games, and I did enjoy my time with beat saber, after about 5 hours I just had no desire to ever return to the game.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Best Saber is an awesome game to play. Since I got my Quest last year, I always find time to play it. It's great for staying active especially during this stay at home phase.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i haven't figured out how to do custom songs easily since youtube implementation was removed :(

but yes, super fun game. I like audio shield as well but this one has the whole "simpler is better" vibe
bsaber.com

Beast Saber

The hub of the Beat Saber community: your guide to top-tier map recommendations and essential insights. Uncover a rich selection of curated maps and learn more about Beat Saber and its community through our articles to enhance your gaming experience.

Download the mod assistant tool and have at it! There's even a tutorial for sideloading on the Quest.

I play this for like... an hour a day at least. Constantly loading in new songs and having a total blast. Some of the best maps encourage you to "dance" along, too. There was a Smooth Criminal map that was just incredible. Weirdly enough the Numa Numa song is also super fun to play.

If you want to feel even more active while playing, grab some wrist weights. It makes some of the quicker songs absolutely brutal.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Im hesitant to grab the PSVR version just because I don't usually go for rhythm games in general. Thumper was alright, but beyond that I don't really care for them. Rez is about as close as I get, and that was a phenomenal experience

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Saber is amazing. One of the best exercise rhythm games since DDR. I would recommend Audica too if you want something similar but different to experience.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most key element of Beat Saber, in my opinion, is that from the very first moment you put the headset on you feel like a badass. Even at first when I could only finish stages on normal, I never felt bad at the game, which only encourages you to keep playing and getting better because you're having fun.

I'd suggest checking out Pistol Whip if you haven't already. It's less focused on the rhythm aspect, admittedly, but it's still a rhythm game and it does this really well.