• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Have it and love it already on PSVR, but would definitely double dip on the Quest, as being able to quickly boot up and play with no wires to worry about would be really welcome. Would make it way easier to bring to friends' places to show them as well. This makes a Quest purchase that much more tempting.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Tempting. I love Beat Saber but hooking up my PSVR is a nightmare. This makes a Quest look great.

Wonder if it'll support custom songs? If so I'm 90% sure I'm buying a Quest

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Beat Saber is by far my most played game on PSVR and I am almost always playing it with a bunch of friends and literally everyone I played with so far was able to immediately pick it up and have a ton of fun.
This game has near infinite appeal and it will just never run out of content, because it's actually a new way to experience music.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I already have this and a PSVR, but I may bite if there's access to custom tracks. Playing without wires would be super cool.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
God the more I look into this the more excited I get. Vader VR, Beat Saber w/o PSVR cables and Robo Recall. Maybe Moss (but PSVR works for that) . $400 isnt that bad and I assume there will be a day one bonus to entice people...might be a day one for me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Power wise, the Quest isn't much more powerful than your S8 (and the chipset in it, in terms of raw power is less powerful than the S10) but in terms of visual experience, it's probably going to split the difference between Gear VR and the regular Oculus by being a dedicated device.

PSVR is probably a good benchmark to think in terms of fidelity (I'd expect it to be a bit worse in terms of world detail, but better in terms of performance). In terms of tracking experience, it shouldn't be much behind the Oculus touch controllers (but I'd expect the tracking volume to be a little smaller since you're wearing the device tracking them on your head). For something like beat saber though? That should be about perfect.

I think oculus go is probably a good benchmark for likely India that had a quite narrow sweet spot, but apparent resolution was very high vs PSVR. So it will be relatively low complexity worlds but rendered cleanly with more readable text etc

I'd love custom songs and I don't know if I can justify a third headset (have PSVR and WMR) - but I had a go for a while and wireless is fantastic. Price is a bit steep for an impulse buy, but wireless could mean I can take it to the office for people to try out

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here is the trailer:

OK now this get me a little bit hyped, could sell really well for mainstream.

Lock if old.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's a shame that Oculus is owned by Facebook because they have nice, competitively priced headsets.

I'm glad they're owned by Facebook. Much more R&D funds, better Dev approach and the standalone, 'Quest' approach - most certainly driven by Facebook - is the sort of brilliant move VR needs right now.

Facebook is probably a big reason why the headsets are priced this competitively.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Nice. I've always wanted to try this game and the Quest looks like an interesting device. VR anywhere and without cables is very appealing. I'm going to buy a Quest for sure if the reviews for it are good when it launches.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hell of a graphics downgrade but still looks good.

i really wish they could have at least stepped it up to the sd 845.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
That last pose the guy takes in the trailer is what I was afraid these inside out tracking solutions wouldn't be able to do. Like a T-post with the head turned toward just one of the controllers. I wonder if that's just BS marketing material or it can some how really track the other controller there.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
That last pose the guy takes in the trailer is what I was afraid these inside out tracking solutions wouldn't be able to do. Like a T-post with the head turned toward just one of the controllers. I wonder if that's just BS marketing material or it can some how really track the other controller there.

Obviously I'm not sure on the Oculus Quest, but the WMR Reality Headsets can track out of camera FOV.
They just use prediction algorithms combined with gyro and other sensors.

Its not perfect, but it actually works fairly well. It only loses tracking if you completely stop all motion, since there is no more data to feed into the predictions.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously I'm not sure on the Oculus Quest, but the WMR Reality Headsets can track out of camera FOV.

Its not perfect, but it actually works fairly well. It only loses tracking if you completely stop all motion, since there is no more data to feed into the predictions.
Glad to know they work reasonably well. I'm very much looking forward to this.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would buy this if I could access the VR games from my steam account.

Having to be tethered to my computer for Rift means I never use it.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
hell of a graphics downgrade but still looks good.

i really wish they could have at least stepped it up to the sd 845.
Would a 845 really have made a difference? Instead of being 1/10th as powerful as PCVR the Quest would be 1/9th as powerful! To me that wouldn't be worth the price increase and likely release delay.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good trailer. I really can't wait for Quest, even with the weak visual capabilities. I can't wait to fuck around with it development-wise, and I can't wait to have Easy Portable Good VR.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would a 845 really have made a difference? Instead of being 1/10th as powerful as PCVR the Quest would be 1/9th as powerful! To me that wouldn't be worth the price increase and likely release delay.
true, but graphically, it was a pretty chunky jump:

95164.png

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Would have definitely preferred they toned down the graphical effects and been able to use 2X MSAA. The blocks in that video are very jaggie. Which for VR, is very problematic when they start shimmering all over the screen.

The Tested guys talked a lot about this when they went hands on with the Quest a couple months ago. It seems Oculus has very good algorithms for predicting what the user's intent was when going out of camera. Obviously has the limits you'd expect. Start doing weird things without camera coverage, and there's obviously no way to predict that.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
This looks fantastic without wires.

I hope pushing this release out also frees them up to work on more content for the game.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This with some of the other games actually has me pretty interested in the Quest. Gonna see what reviews will say about the device and then decide. I definitely like the idea of tetherless VR.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Really curious how they're doing the mixed reality stuff considering this isn't connected to a PC. How is it outputting?

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
If it doesn't use a PC I suspect you won't be able to use custom songs like Oculus or Vive does.