• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you watched Beastars yet?

• Yes

Votes: 264 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 113 23.8%
  • Not yet, but I will now

Votes: 97 20.5%

• Total voters

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, this show is great!

I want season 2 faster! I need more of this! The writing is bloody excellent! Loved also the setting of "What if Zootopia but actually taken to the logical 11 that the world would be?"

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, this show is great!

I want season 2 faster! I need more of this! The writing is bloody excellent! Loved also the setting of "What if Zootopia but actually taken to the logical 11 that the world would be?"
Season 2 is only going to become more crazy with one of the background characters coming to the forefront of the main story. #spoilers

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
English dub trailer:

Thank you to CNTR for introducing me to this series a few years back on the old thread. This is practically everything I've wanted out of a children's/Shonen's series featuring anthropomorphic characters, like, fuckin' finally.

And a wolf main-character just makes it all the better for me

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix just kills shows for the western audience. Every fucking time, why couldn't they release this week by week? Violet Evergarden was released weekly ON Netflix back then.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
English dub trailer:

Thank you to CNTR for introducing me to this series a few years back on the old thread. This is practically everything I've wanted out of a children's/Shonen's series featuring anthropomorphic characters, like, fuckin' finally.

that Legosi is just awful

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
English dub trailer:

I have been waiting for a dubbed version of it to come out. Will be checking this out as soon as it releases.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Three episodes in and it is interesting even if I'm not completely completely hooked yet. I enjoy the animation and the premise but I'm still waiting to see where they are going with the whole plot though I expect it's going to come in to play soon enough. Really never thought I would see a rabbit in bra and panties though I will say that. Also, the English voice actors don't really bring anything worth switching over from your preferred language ( I switched to Spanish)

Oct 28, 2017
Just started this today. This is not the type of Anime I normally watch but I found the first episode compelling to keep going. High School drama is not my bag but the Zootopia twist is interesting.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Just started this today. This is not the type of Anime I normally watch but I found the first episode compelling to keep going. High School drama is not my bag but the Zootopia twist is interesting.
Yeah, the high school dynamic of it would be kinda played out if it was people but layering it on top of the animal carnivore/herbivore dynamic adds a riveting social element to it. It's impressive how much thought is put into the world building and overt and subdued racial elements affecting interactions. Even school group clique bullying is layered with the influence of animal hierarchy.

Only two episodes in and while episode one's ending was terrifying, episode two was a spittake. I dunno, maybe because violence is passé at this point or because it was already foreshadowed in episode one compared to episode two.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the high school dynamic of it would be kinda played out if it was people but layering it on top of the animal carnivore/herbivore dynamic adds a riveting social element to it. It's impressive how much thought is put into the world building and overt and subdued racial elements affecting interactions. Even school group clique bullying is layered with the influence of animal hierarchy.

Only two episodes in and while episode one's ending was terrifying, episode two was a spittake. I dunno, maybe because violence is passé at this point or because it was already foreshadowed in episode one compared to episode two.

Spit take is right on the money. I'm working but I have this playing on my phone. I says to myself "this is not about to got there, is it?"

They went there.

I'll give it a few more eps but like I said, might not be my bag if this is going to go to those type of places.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Watched the Japanese release and loved every moment of it. Going to have to check out the dub out of curiosity.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Unless this somehow rallies in the last two episodes... this has been massively overrated, like I can't remember the last anime I watched that was so all over the place tonally, with pretty much no one to root for ( just when you think someone is the "one" they exhibit a very off putting character flaw) with not a single strong/ capable female character. I'll never be comfortable with the sexual fetishizing of animals and it's pretty much right under the surface throughout this all of this show.

Oct 27, 2017
The way Netflix translates the names really bugs me. They're obviously based on western names, don't call them Rouis and Legoshi. At least the dub gets Louis right.

The episode descriptions actually translate Haru to Hal, some poor translater probably got stuck doing it with zero context.

The dub and subtitles are also completely different. A few changes is normal, but this is clearly based on two very different translations. I don't mind that much waiting for the season to end before we get a English release, but we should at least get a high-quality cohesive product.

Legosi is fucking hot. It can't be denied. Give in.
Legosi is fine, but he can't compare with Louis.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
Having watched the subbed version numerous times, I gave the english dub a try. I think it's okay. Some scenes really hit the mark but those are outnumbered by ones with kinda stilted deliveries and just passable performances. Legosi and Louis in particular are too one-note overall and only reach the right intensity in a couple of moments. I found a lot of the supporting and background characters more emotive than most of the main cast strangely enough. Lara Jill Miller as Haru is the MVP though and nails nearly every scene she's in, somehow managing to stay true to the character while also striking a very different tone from the japanese voice work. I wasn't expecting her voice to fit as well as it does.

Last edited:

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Wanna watch subs but I heard that Netflix is usually terrible with translating subs. Heard there was an issue with a character being referred to as Rouis instead of Louis. Is there anything else bad about the subs or is it good enough? Might watch fansubs if I have to

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I'm feeling this yet, I'm on episode 6 (I think?) and it just feels like the series isn't going anywhere. I don't think it's bad necessarily but very underwhelming so far.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Watched 10 episodes of the dub, lol at these name pronunciations. *Featuring Legoshi and his pal Louie.* Im ok with it though since the show's amazing. One thing that took a while to adjust to is not associate's Haru's voice actor with the dream eater from KH3, since after playing it recently it becomes very hard to forget because they share the same VA.

Fastrun

Oct 27, 2017
Watched 10 episodes of the dub, lol at these name pronunciations. *Featuring Legoshi and his pal Louie.* Im ok with it though since the show's amazing. One thing that took a while to adjust to is not associate's Haru's voice actor with the dream eater from KH3, since after playing it recently it becomes very hard to forget because they share the same VA.

Thread on pronunciations:

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Wanna watch subs but I heard that Netflix is usually terrible with translating subs. Heard there was an issue with a character being referred to as Rouis instead of Louis. Is there anything else bad about the subs or is it good enough? Might watch fansubs if I have to

Subs yeah, but in the dub they all say Louis and it was a pretty good dub work barring a VA here and there if you wanna go that route.

To my ears, they pronounced Louis how any English native would. It doesn't roll off the tongue like the french way but I saw no issues.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

Legoshi is the correct way to say it because it's Romanian, like how they pronounce tepes as tepesh in castlevania. Louie is also correct.

Last edited:

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Subs yeah, but in the dub they all say Louis and it was a pretty good dub work barring a VA here and there if you wanna go that route.

To my ears, they pronounced Louis how any English native would. It doesn't roll off the tongue like the french way but I saw no issues.
Now that I think about, that is the correct pronunciation.
Thread on pronunciations:

Hmm, interesting. I genuinely didn't know about the origin of the name Legoshi.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

For me it was the tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I think this was a bit over hyped for me. I still enjoyed it. I liked that it felt like a more mature story than I've seen from anime lately (minus the girls fawning over the popular guy like he's a celebrity trope). The animation is beautiful and probably the best CG anime I've seen. But overall the story/plot felt pretty unfocused. I'd have a hard time giving a quick elevator pitch of what this show is about that wasn't extremely high level or missing large but important elements without it sounding disjointed. All that said, like I mentioned, I enjoyed it and it's definitely one of the better anime I've seen lately.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Look, maybe I am a prude but the sex stuff when it's got animal bodies while kinda sorta accounting for animal proportions (the wolf is like 4 times the size of the rabbit) is weirding me out. Like, the anxiety over reflecting on interspecies romance is a big thing in the story so it can be considered appropriately plot relevant but it's still making me squirm.
wow this reminds me of zootopia and i love zootopia
Oddly enough, I think the easiest way to describe the story was Zootopia but with an edgier world building tone. That might sound kinda basic and insufferable but the world details are really fun. How the herbivore/carnivore dynamic necessitates a ban on meat products, how the black market exists in response to that, how society is outwardly polite but many have seemingly benign but harmful racist attitudes against species and how they leverage these attitudes to reflect on their place in society. It's full of flavor text at every turn.
One thing that took a while to adjust to is not associate's Haru's voice actor with the dream eater from KH3, since after playing it recently it becomes very hard to forget because they share the same VA.
Man, I was thinking I recognize this VA who is it and then realizing it's Kairi from Digimon. I haven't heard the Digimon voices in forever. Damn what a different role.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Watched this right up until Haru
took off her dress
and I was like uhhhhh noooooo thank you. The imagery was really gross with how small she is.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oddly enough, I think the easiest way to describe the story was Zootopia but with an edgier world building tone. That might sound kinda basic and insufferable but the world details are really fun. How the herbivore/carnivore dynamic necessitates a ban on meat products, how the black market exists in response to that, how society is outwardly polite but many have seemingly benign but harmful racist attitudes against species and how they leverage these attitudes to reflect on their place in society. It's full of flavor text at every turn.
oh yes. its so similar yet much more "adult" (despite the protagonists in zootopia being the adults and highschoolers in beastars)

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I'll be honest, I think this was a bit over hyped for me. I still enjoyed it. I liked that it felt like a more mature story than I've seen from anime lately (minus the girls fawning over the popular guy like he's a celebrity trope). The animation is beautiful and probably the best CG anime I've seen. But overall the story/plot felt pretty unfocused. I'd have a hard time giving a quick elevator pitch of what this show is about that wasn't extremely high level or missing large but important elements without it sounding disjointed. All that said, like I mentioned, I enjoyed it and it's definitely one of the better anime I've seen lately.

this. I can't even speak on it much because I couldn't get past the first episode.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Just finished it last night! I really enjoyed it. What a strange and creepy world. The stunning animation alone makes this worth the watch.

Oct 30, 2017
It's interesting, but it desperately needs someone to point out that this is just a stupid high school play. Opening is amazing. English dub gives me Atlus JRPG vibes.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This is an amazing anime, it definitely gives vibes of an R-Rated Zootopia right down to the character archetypes and societal structure.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Just watched the first two episodes based on this thread. I've seen and really enjoyed Disney's Zootopia. By episode 3, I decided to turn this series off. Yeah, visually it's great. Character designs are great. Not feeling the 'race/class undertones' as much as cringy suppressed angst vibes. Reminds me in some ways of Breaking Bad in the male power fantasy aspect. The first attack on the bunny was incredibly uncomfortable and felt damn near like being in the mind of a rapist during the wolf's monologue. By the time he's kicking it with her in the room by the end of episode two and they get their signals crossed, I decided to check out. Her 'submission' thing was just....not working for me. It all just feels 'wrong'. Meh. Too smart for me.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We watched the first episode today, but I have no patience left for shows where everyone just happens to be a bastard except for the protagonists who are basically saints, and the fact that it seems to recycle Zootopia's whole plot also put me off. It's s a shame because it does look (visually I mean) pretty good, especially considering how terrible a lot of CGI anime mimicking cel animation end up looking (coughberserkretch).

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
It's your typical high school anime with anthropomorphic animals subjected to an R rated plot.

Post-anime spoilers
It actually does progress out of high school for some of the main characters for reasons. Like the importance of the title hasn't even been properly explored yet.