Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Because it was clearly fake, I'm assuming that was an intentional part of the bit. He seems to be riffing on the way too specific and unbelievably detailed anecdotes that usually get posted on twitter about how some parent's kids just happened to stumble upon whatever political ideology all by themselves naturally, and is definitely not the parents just projecting their beliefs via fake stories about their kids...

This thread and seeing people posting about bean dad on twitter, as if it were real, sure has me thinking about the recent Prank thread discussion. I don't know how you read that twitter thread and think that it's a real story.

Based on all available information, you are giving this piece of shit way too much credit.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, guys, this dude is torching his career and doubling down endlessly as a bit. Can't believe you'd fall for it. His song being dumped from a podcast was a part of the performance art.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

"I chuckled, realizing this was a teaching moment"
tenor.gif

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Because it was clearly fake, I'm assuming that was an intentional part of the bit. He seems to be riffing on the way too specific and unbelievably detailed anecdotes that usually get posted on twitter about how some parent's kids just happened to stumble upon whatever political ideology all by themselves naturally, and is definitely not the parents just projecting their beliefs via fake stories about their kids...

This thread and seeing people posting about bean dad on twitter, as if it were real, sure has me thinking about the recent Prank thread discussion. I don't know how you read that twitter thread and think that it's a real story.
The story is most definitely fake, but I don't think it's parodic.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit didn't see all the racist shit this moron was posting. Saw this bean idiocy over the weekend and didn't realize it kept going deeper. YEESH

Not eating for 6 hours when it was time to eat already is absolutely starving. What planet are you on?

That's not starving, it's just really shitty. That's the equivalent of missing a meal. Missing lunch is not starving.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't realise he was the John Roderick that did the mbmbam theme. They are replacing the intro now. Crazy. Wonder how long they have used that song knowing the shit he's been spouting...

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't realise he was the John Roderick that did the mbmbam theme. They are replacing the intro now. Crazy. Wonder how long they have used that song knowing the shit he's been spouting...
They probably didn't know. Do you go look at the twitter comments to other people of everyone you do business with? I certainly don't. Even following him on twitter you would not have seen most of the offensive posts since they were replies to other people.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
People should honestly erase their internet presence every 12 months. I don't see how being able to see the problematic things someone joked about 8 years ago is healthy for anyone.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I listen to the omnibus and had no idea John was bean dad!

He always complained that Ken's tweets got more attention than his own. Careful what you wish for.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

I really have no clue how/why people think it was fake. Nothing about it read as fake to me. I can imagine some of it was played up for effect or due to it being some time later, but the crux of the story was very authentic. Based on how he looks and obviously his general communication style in text, he probably limits his daughter's screen time and doesn't let her use devices, etc.

Anyway, I thought this was funny:

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
People should honestly erase their internet presence every 12 months. I don't see how being able to see the problematic things someone joked about 8 years ago is healthy for anyone.
Racism and ableism are things to be joked about by anyone, specially not grown adults. Knowing people are peices of shit and just try to hide it cause they get famous helps no one

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
On today's new episode of MBMBAM they have a temp theme that 100% sounds like Griffin threw it together this morning lol. I doubt they'll address Roderick on the show though since the actual episode was recorded sometime last week.

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
Since people still seem surprised by Ken, reposting this comment. Mormons are experts at finding excuses for racism.

Some people have seemed surprised by Ken Jennings jumping to the defense of this guy, but also Ken is a Mormon, and Mormons have a lot of practice being apologists for racism. (Former Mormon here: The positions Mormons contort themselves into in order to excuse the church's history of racism and discrimination is pretty incredible.)

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
Racism and ableism are things to be joked about by anyone, specially not grown adults. Knowing people are peices of shit and just try to hide it cause they get famous helps no one

Yes, that's how things should be, but we've almost all said things unknowingly and knowingly to propagate racism, ableism etc. People don't stop learning and growing when they reach 18. We need to create frameworks to deal with that, but this seems like a pretty poor way to do it though. There's space between hiding things and the internet having instant access to the most problematic things you've ever said, I think we should try to aim for somewhere in that space. When presented with the shittiest things someone has said, of course, we should angry and annoyed and hurt. I just don't know who it serves to present that. To me, it can just feel like needlessly triggering and upsetting people.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Yes, that's how things should be, but we've almost all said things unknowingly and knowingly to propagate racism, ableism etc. People don't stop learning and growing when they reach 18. We need to create frameworks to deal with that, but this seems like a pretty poor way to do it though. There's space between hiding things and the internet having instant access to the most problematic things you've ever said, I think we should try to aim for somewhere in that space. When presented with the shittiest things someone has said, of course, we should angry and annoyed and hurt. I just don't know who it serves to present that. To me, it can just feel like needlessly triggering and upsetting people.

Ah yes, after all, in the early 2010s, John was only but a young lad in his early 40s. How could he have known not to do anti-semitisms

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit the way this dude wrote the story is so insanely pretentious and preachy, I had a couple "friends" in high school who went out of their way to talk exactly that way even when they knew the people they were talking to wouldn't understand and it's to the point that I just have this visceral reaction of pure anger towards anyone who talks like this.

Also his story shows he's an ass. Teaching someone to learn things on their own is a great lesson, but making your daughter wait 6 hours past her normal meal time because you're unwilling to step away from your puzzle is messed up.

Bean dad has a book of his own tweets

Not a Horse

Aug 15, 2018
Holy shit the way this dude wrote the story is so insanely pretentious and preachy, I had a couple "friends" in high school who went out of their way to talk exactly that way even when they knew the people they were talking to wouldn't understand and it's to the point that I just have this visceral reaction of pure anger towards anyone who talks like this.

Also his story shows he's an ass. Teaching someone to learn things on their own is a great lesson, but making your daughter wait 6 hours past her normal meal time because you're unwilling to step away from your puzzle is messed up.

This is going to shock you then.