• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What wins your time ??

• Playing games, duh

Votes: 394 50.6%
  • Discussing games on ERA and watching streams

Votes: 385 49.4%

• Total voters

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Well, depends on the time of the year. Since i don't have much time to play and i hate buying games and not finish them, i make sure to only buy something i know i'll finish.
And when there's nothing good coming out for me.... yeah, i'll spend my more time watching than playing until something interesting comes out.

It has been hard to do some watching lately. A lot of good games coming out, one after another. Give me some time gaming industry, please!

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Discussing/reading about them, but not by choice. It comes down to a time thing.

I have so much downtime at work that I'm almost always on forums reading about stuff. Then I only have a few hours during the week/weekend for actual game time. It's a huge bummer, but that's life.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Great topic. I've found myself guilty of this for some time. Lately I've been better though. Prioritizing games over watching media now.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I spend most of my time playing, and a considerable chunk of the remaining time watching videos on game development and critique. I love Era, but it's secondary to my hobbies and I usually only browse and discuss here when there aren't any videogames close by. I don't watch streams or gameplay videos, ever.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I don't spend any time watching streams, but a lot on discussions. Still I'd say that my total time spent overall in a year gaming is somewhat higher. A large factor in that is that I have a fixed "schedule" where I spend ~10 hours every Friday playing local coop games. Without that I really couldn't say.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Very difficult for me to decide. There is something about surfing the internet in general that makes timy fly by, two hours are usually gone in the blink of an eye.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Always, my gaming time is relatively short compared to the times I can check Era in the workplace, lunchtime, public transportation or even in bed before sleeping.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I definitely spend more time on ERA than playing games. I still haven't beaten the third mission in Spider-Man or gotten a fifth character in Octopath. My interest in them fizzle out by the time they release or if I am not playing it daily. I know it's as easy as sitting down and playing, but I just don't feel like the time commitment, especially with Octopath.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
I'm too old to understand why i'd ever want to watch videos of someone playing a game instead of just playing it myself. I tend to only read forums when eating or killing time somewhere that gaming is not available anyways.

Recently, I've spent more time creating games and special events, as well as writing about them and other stuff (disability, poetry, stories, (graphic) design, posters, current affairs, etc.). I'm a thirty-something, and I want different things at this point in my life. I also need more time, as I have a learning disability, and that time isn't often kind to me. So, I pick any games very carefully. While I'm open to new and different experiences, I know what I like at the same time, and I'll probably never play certain games again, unless they're "just there". Certainly, I won't be going out of my way, and I'll "100%" even less. Playing LOZ: Breath Of The Wild really helped me to find comfort and peace with that fact. If I never play another Uncharted, God Of War, EA title, First-Person Shooter, or "cinematic experience", I won't feel that I missed much. There are also older titles that offer a lot of replay value. I have access to my brother's PS4, but apart from that, I went the Wii U/3DS route, and never experienced "game droughts". I don't actually watch many streams or tune in to podcasts, or even follow a lot of "industry people", and most of my discussions have taken place in my Twitter DMs and blog posts.

Scottius

Oct 31, 2017
I watch some streams and browse some sites and forums but I spend way more time playing games than doing so.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Yes. I glance at ResetEra every so often throughout my 9 hour workday, then I might play 2 hours when I get home. On the weekend I do housework and errands and might manage 8 hours total.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
If I didn't live with my girlfriend and work during the day the answer would be no.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I do prefer playing. I don't watch streamers at all but I certainly like to browse era and gaf when I'm away from home.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Nope. I don't watch streams. I rather play the games myself, which I do every evening from monday to thursday.

I've only watched VaatiVidya's Bloodborne lore videos after I finished the game. His sophisticated approach was much more to my taste than the usual juvenile and pointless banter. I also lurk the forums more than I actually participate in the discussion.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
way more time playing. I'm into RPGs, I'd never finish any of them if I spent more time posting/reading/watching.

Jul 10, 2018
Probably equal for me. I love following industry news and developers and things like that so I watch podcasts and browse forums quite a bit.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
I think on average I spend around 30 minutes a month playing games. I enjoy talking about and keeping up with games, though. I just don't find much enjoyment in actually playing them.

There are the rare occasions where I might drop like 30 hours into a single game in one month, but that's very rare and then I drop off from playing anything again for like a year.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I visit forums when at work, because sometimes I dont have much to do. I play mostly on weekends. I work from home, but I dont usually play much unless there is absolutely nothing to do. I guess half and half.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I play more than watch or discuss games. This'll probably change when I get a full time job though

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That 50/50 split, goddamn

I usually watch some YouTube when I get home on weekdays and play games on the weekend. But I spend more time watching game analysis videos than actually playing them, I'd say

Yiepekaiyei

Nov 20, 2017
Brazil
Discussing games on Era, probably yes. Because life, job, family and so on, I couldn't spend more time on games than I already do. But watching streams? Hell no.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's easier to discuss games at work than play them so I discuss them far more because I'm at work more than I'm at home playing games.

Oct 26, 2017
As much time as I do spend browsing ResetERA, its usually in between something else or when I'm just really bored. Otherwise, I'm doing something else, such as gaming, playing the guitar, or working out

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I spend more time posting here than playing (helps that i can post here while working) so yeah

Dont watch many streams or gaming videos

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it fluctuates. There's been certain points in time I needed a break from gaming, but would still watch videos of them since it took less effort. Lately though, with the limited free time I have, I like to spend more time playing games then talking about them.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly browse the forum a lot more than I play. I don't play very many games outside of the initial launch window of big titles or the odd indie game every month or so.
Even the few multiplayer games that I stick with I'll typically only play periodically.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to flip flot a lot. I've been on a game streak for 4 months now and i find it's better when i don't completely force myself to go through my backlog. Currently it's discussing games more than playing them i'm not really a watch it live person but i do like looking at well made youtube videos covering games.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Discussing games, I could relate, but watching streams?

Why bother buying pricey plastic box to play video games if you end up watching people play on streams.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Pre-Switch, yes.

Post-Switch, definitely not.

It's amazing how much being untethered from the TV has increased my gaming time.

Also, I've never watched a stream in my life. Why would you?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Between the two choices provided, technically I play games more because I literally never watch streams (unless you're talking like, E3 conferences) and I don't talk about games much on Era, but in general I talk about games with my friends (which I don't even really do that much) more than I play them. I just really haven't played that much in years. The overwhelming majority of my playtime has come from the 4+ year achievement streak I have going on my Xbox, but even then I still only play a few minutes a day on average and I've only been keeping it going cuz... I dunno, fuck, why not? lol

But yeah, I honestly just find myself too tired and weary to play games. I spend most of my time at home in bed, unless I'm doing something with my girlfriend.

That said I did sink about 200 hours into BotW when it came out, because I mean. It's fucking Breath of the Wild.

Last edited: