• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From the school that embodied everything wrong with rape culture:

The statement notes that "the university affirms the biblical understanding of sexuality as a gift from God" and that "Christian churches across the ages and around the world have affirmed purity in singleness and fidelity in marriage between a man and a woman as the biblical norm." Its sexual conduct policy also states that it is "expected that Baylor students will not participate in advocacy groups which promote understandings of sexuality that are contrary to biblical teaching," which include "heterosexual sex outside of marriage and homosexual behavior."

"With this said, we understand that we must do more to demonstrate love and support for our students who identify as LGBTQ," Livingstone wrote, adding that it has been suggested that the university provide "more robust and more specific training" for students, faculty and staff in regard to LGBTQ students, and more opportunities for civil dialogue.
"And, perhaps most importantly," she wrote, "we need to establish trust with our LGBTQ students so that, among other things, they might seek out the resources provided by Baylor — all of which must be done as a faithful expression of our Christian mission."

Rumors of the school's alleged loose ties to conversion therapy — treatments that are supposed to turn gay people straight — have also floated around among Baylor's LGBTQ community. They involve links between Dennis Wiles, a member of the university's Board of Regents, vice chair of the student life committee, and pastor of First Baptist Church in Arlington, and his partner church Living Hope Ministries.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The full statement:

Baylor University welcomes all students into a safe and supportive environment in which to discuss and learn about a variety of issues, including those of human sexuality. The University affirms the biblical understanding of sexuality as a gift from God. Christian churches across the ages and around the world have affirmed purity in singleness and fidelity in marriage between a man and a woman as the biblical norm. Temptations to deviate from this norm include both heterosexual sex outside of marriage and homosexual behavior. It is thus expected that Baylor students will not participate in advocacy groups which promote understandings of sexuality that are contrary to biblical teaching.

The University encourages students struggling with these issues to avail themselves of opportunities for serious, confidential discussion, and support through the Spiritual Life Office (254)-710-3517 or through the Baylor University Counseling Center (254)-710-2467.

I love how every other sentence is a contradiction.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it wasn't great when I was there either, those guys had to meet on the low and could never put flyers up and stuff so they would just advertise by writing in chalk on the sidewalks, which was a smart move.

Sadly, this kind of nonsense is par for the course for my alma mater. That's why I viewed college as transactional, anyone I can tell I always say to enjoy your time there, enjoy friends, get what you want out of it, and GTFO and on with your life.

Feel bad for any students who get painted in the wrong light because the idiot administration is so backwards

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad that such a large, influential school is still so stubbornly discriminatory, tho I guess when your motto is "for Church, for Texas," shouldn't be surprised.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF, they can do this? I go to SMU and we have officially sanctioned and supported Pride organizations. I assumed that universities couldn't discriminate like this anymore.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Baylor has been Rapist U for years now. I'm not shocked that they would do this either floating under the guise of Christianity.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder: you are required to take bible studies classes at baylor.

They also require you to go to church for at least 2 semesters, twice a week. 3/4 of total attendance must be met.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Should be dragged into the modern world kicking and scream. Pathetic.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF, they can do this? I go to SMU and we have officially sanctioned and supported Pride organizations. I assumed that universities couldn't discriminate like this anymore.

Despite the names, both TCU and SMU are much, much more secular schools these days than Baylor. Baylor is actually one of the most conservative, religious schools in the country.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Baylor sucks. I grew up near Waco and absolutely did not want to go to school there, and did not. This is the same school that covers up rapists too.

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they're very nuanced, and not taught as literal history?

:P
The two classes we were required to take are Christian Scriptures (bible 101) and Christian Heritage (history of Christianity)

Scriptures was actually extremely nuanced and presented the bible as a historical text, we learned a shit ton more about it than any of my sunday school education ever did to me. The largest focus of it was on the veracity of the Old Testament texts as historical record and whether things were meant to be taken as literal as some do

Christian Heritage probably had an inherent bias to it, as it is solely focused on one religion and has perspectives in it. But you did learn alot about the entire history of christianity and not just modern day baptists

In fact, learning this stuff actually helped me step away from being a christian as I kind of saw the conflicting nature of what the bible actually was with how people have interpreted it so poorly.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
"heterosexual sex outside of marriage"

Nowhere in the bible does it say a man and a woman can't have exclusive sex outside of marriage. There are suggestions to take "one husband/wife" to avoid temptation. There are suggestions to remain "pure", but there's even arguments over what that means based on what IS OK in the bible (like having multiple wives...it's literally ok in the Bible).

Etc, etc, etc...but it never says that one man and woman having sex is wrong. Sure, you can try to make it say that...but even Jesus talking to people about divorce has been used as the "1 man 1 woman" argument, and even that is out of context.

So BYU doesn't even read their own book, or at least, they don't interpret it for what it LITERALLY says. Like most religions, they twist it to fit what they want.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Private schools can generally be run how they want when it comes to recognizing clubs, clubs getting funding, etc. Usually the clubs are still campus clubs with a lot of members, but they can be excluded from getting funding from the campus or might have to jump thru hoops to get speakers on campus, etc. It's BS, but there aren't any major laws that I know of that would restrict private colleges/unis from how their student activities groups are recognized or run.
So BYU doesn't even read their own book, or at least, they don't interpret it for what it LITERALLY says. Like most religions, they twist it to fit what they want.

BYU is Brigham Young, a Mormon university, this is Baylor, which is ... like non denominational Christian or something. *n/m* Baptist

BYU Does not have a policy on extra-maritual sexual relations because, obviously, everyone's married.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
The two classes we were required to take are Christian Scriptures (bible 101) and Christian Heritage (history of Christianity)

Scriptures was actually extremely nuanced and presented the bible as a historical text, we learned a shit ton more about it than any of my sunday school education ever did to me. The largest focus of it was on the veracity of the Old Testament texts as historical record and whether things were meant to be taken as literal as some do

Christian Heritage probably had an inherent bias to it, as it is solely focused on one religion and has perspectives in it. But you did learn alot about the entire history of christianity and not just modern day baptists

In fact, learning this stuff actually helped me step away from being a christian as I kind of saw the conflicting nature of what the bible actually was with how people have interpreted it so poorly.
Okay, I'm relieved. It makes sense that the classes would be in depth but I could just as easily see it going the other way.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised considering Waco has a church in every corner, I really thought I was going to get burned at the stake when I passed through there

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm relieved. It makes sense that the classes would be in depth but I could just as easily see it going the other way.

yeah, generally theology programs at major universities are pretty serious academically. Baylor has a pretty well respected PhD program in religion / theology.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Is Baylor the same as Baylor College of Medicine?

Quite a few psychiatrists and therapists come out of Baylor. How could they be okay with this shit.

Oct 25, 2017

Who knows, it's been 10 years since I took the course, maybe things changed. But I think as Albatross mentioned, they take that stuff pretty seriously in those departments

Is Baylor the same as Baylor College of Medicine?

Quite a few psychiatrists and therapists come out of Baylor. How could they be okay with this shit.
Separate institutions

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We must continue to call them abominable deviants, but do so in a caring way that reflects Christ's love.

Oct 25, 2017
dumb question, but why would you attend and support the school with your money?

I went there because it was the best school that offered me the most scholarship so that my parents could afford it and I had to take very minimal loans. Many of my friends were the same, I mean we're told we have to go to the best uni possible so we can get the best job out of it. None of us were thinking about the conservative old white guys running the place...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Private schools can generally be run how they want when it comes to recognizing clubs, clubs getting funding, etc. Usually the clubs are still campus clubs with a lot of members, but they can be excluded from getting funding from the campus or might have to jump thru hoops to get speakers on campus, etc. It's BS, but there aren't any major laws that I know of that would restrict private colleges/unis from how their student activities groups are recognized or run.
It's just surprising to me that they can still openly discriminate like this because I also go to a Texas private Christian school that doesn't exclude the Pride organizations or make them jump through hoops. Hell, the school has a "Women and LGBT Center" in the Division of Student Affairs. I guess I just assumed that their hands had been tied by laws because I'm cynical.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize that Baylor went so far as to require church attendance and courses on scripture. They should probably focus more on getting their own house in order before they lecture anyone else on sexuality.