• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
For the reset:

This isn't Fortnite.

Colors are the same as they've always been.

There are women in this game shooting guns at people. Deal with it.

Feb 26, 2018
Good to know that DICE are making a colorful wacky shooter out of the most tragic event in worlds history.
I hope SP will have a more serious tone.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what is and isn't gameplay from that clip, but damn it's looking great from a tech perspective.

Guess we'll have to wait till E3 for a proper look.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the campaign is good. There was a definite solid foundation in BF1 but it felt muddled and truncated. Hopefully each of the stories here is properly fleshed out.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, the trailer would have been received better if the customization wasn't so over the top on the squad and toning down the contrast.
The woman doesn't fit in, not because she is a woman but because of her costume and prosthetic , Then we have also have Celtic Kratos boy. They give me a vague fortnite feel, It's not what people expect from a mainline battlefield.

I like the trailer but I feel it's a bit over top. Definitely not what I expected, I expected something more serious.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
People complain about it. People buy it. EA get thrown to the wolves. Gets back up because sales>cries. Repeats the same thing next year. The cycle continues. That being said, horrible reveal, fake gameplay in 2018 but then again its to impress the kids I guess which will work. Just another day at EA.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting. Personally I'm kinda done with big military shooters and after watching the Ken Burns documentary on WW2 I'm having a negative reaction to really anything involving war for fun. That being said it looks like this could be a good change up of the formula.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Good to know that DICE are making a colorful wacky shooter out of the most tragic event in worlds history.
I hope SP will have a more serious tone.
Not every moment during WW2 or even WW1 for that matter it was dark and dismal. We are talking about a period of 6 years, people didn't just go around being gloomy all the time, they found ways of coping and a lot of that's trying to make light of the situation and laugh. Also, the world was colourful, it didn't just go "whelp, it's wartime, gotta only use a variation of brown now". I know it's not how we usually portray WW2, but that doesn't mean it's any less accuarate than the serious, grim tone most movies and games go for.

PixelBastard

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Looking forward to some proper ingame gameplay, its looking real interesting though. And its the right thing to do getting rid of the season pass and map packs, its pointless trying to find a match on some of the map packs in BF1, barely anyone playing.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Negative reactions are astounding, but I think they'll be the loud minority. Game looks crazy, hopefully actual gameplay is near that level of quality.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Even ignoring the massive tonal shift from previous titles the trailer was just awful.

Messy and chaotic with no time to actually absorb what's going on. It seems like they just tried to cram in as much stuff as physically possibly.

Deleted member 22354

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since the US used nukes during ww2 it's only fair if we give everyone else also nukes

edit: tbh the katana is the most upsetting part

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously digging the trailer, looked beautiful and will probably the the most played Battlefield by me since Bad Company 2!

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I think its actually real.

The intro is obviously scripted but theres a lot of changes in gameplay. There are now fatal explosions that just knock you back. The way he effortlessly switches out his LMG to the pistol while prone. The movement system has been changed as well, where it looks like hes falling over while shooting the plane and stuff.

But then theres really weird animation stuff like the way the LMG moves at certain points, it looks if you pulled the trigger he'd fire it sideways. Also the ending when hes just hanging out looking up at the women as she has a chat. No way thats in multiplayer.

The part where the tank plows through the building looked the least real to me.

Stuff like the character running around the gun looked real, but again could be bullshots made to look like gameplay with a HUD over it (and yes, I know Frostbite is amazing, but this still felt....off in some way).

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a "steampunk" arm.

Prosthetics have looked like that for centuries, and many can transfer movement from the remaining muscles in the arm/shoulder area to operate levers and hooks on the end of the arm.

Handling a light machine gun is far fetched, but it's entirely possible to grasp objects just using the prosthesis.

body_powered.jpg

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Given this game has a clear heightened and exaggerated reality to it, and the very real fact there were women around the battlefield (even if not intentionally placed on the front line) I think having a female in the mix isn't out of place at all. It's actually pretty cool. The OTT accent not so much.

But I'm absolutely devastated how generic the game looks and feels. I feel like I've played this game already a million times.

Oct 26, 2017
Just to clarify some things, I think that the first section of the trailer is more reflective of the CO-OP mode that will be included in the game, I imagine DICE wanted to make some more colorful and diverse characters for that versus generic soldiers. However, if you pay attention to the second segment, everything looks much more "Battlefield," save the Bayism and vibrance. It does seem that they are trying to differentiate BFV from BF1 via tone though, which is too bad seeing how I loved everything about their approach to that game.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
How many people do you think ran around with hooks for hands on the front lines?
Probably the same number of people that jumped out of plane cockpits, sniped an enemy pilot from their plane, and then hopped back into their own plane as it drifted back to earth.

i.e., Battlefield is NOT realistic.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with them being in the game, but just saying "it existed so it fits" isn't a good way to determine whether something makes sense in a certain context or setting.
Not much of this trailer made sense in the given context.

Sadly Dice have seemingly abandoned any attempt at authenticity with this game.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
A person using prosthetic in a combat scenario doesn't seem very authentic and I'm not sure about the blue face paint.

Face painting was a thing in WW2, someone posted photos of painted soldiers earlier today.

Regarding the prosthetic I just don't see the problem. The last two main line BF games were super self serious and grim dark, glad for the change in tone.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the same number of people that jumped out of plane cockpits, sniped an enemy pilot from their plane, and then hopped back into their own plane as it drifted back to earth.

The setting generally strives for realism. What the player is capable of inside that setting is generally considered separate. I think it's okay to be a little bummed by the lighthearted approach here. I'm personally waiting to see how absurd the customization gets before passing judgment.

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018

There's a difference between the two. That situation you described is a problem to do with realism that is a result of player choice and the expected gameplay of the series, not because of elements that directly relate to how the setting itself is realized and implemented.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how that Grand Operations mode might impact perceptions of the game. From the description it seems like that mode will try to depict the long, exhaustive nature of war, which is seems quite far from the irreverence of the combat in this trailer.

I appreciate a less serious take, though. Like Battlefield Heroes being a parody WW2. Seeing games trying to approach the war seriously in a multiplayer environment, with modern fidelity, can end up quite tasteless, imo (such as the COD WW2 map where one team's objective is to mow down American soldiers as they try to storm Omaha Beach).

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love jumping out of planes with a shovel to stab a man on a horse, steal his flamethrower, then die and get tea-bagged by a German soldier

Truly authentic to the experience of war
So is this game like Fortnite after all? Or are there perhaps degrees to how authentic a game feels?

I guess someone should tell Dice that they really shouldn't have to painfully model those WW2 planes, just reuse the F22 from Battlefield 4

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Even ignoring the massive tonal shift from previous titles the trailer was just awful.

Messy and chaotic with no time to actually absorb what's going on. It seems like they just tried to cram in as much stuff as physically possibly.
Agreed, it wasn't a very good trailer. Which is a shame because DICE usually have the best (scripted) trailers in the business.

Hopefully we get something more grounded at E3.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between the two. That situation you described is a problem to do with realism that is a result of player choice and the expected gameplay of the series, not because of elements that directly relate to how the setting itself is realized and implemented.

Is character selection not also player choice?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Can i just say that i like the cover of the game without being jumped on. Its damn awesome to see females front and center...5 years after Sony had to fight to keep elie on the cover of their best selling title