sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was the first mainline BF game I skipped. How is it now on PC? I see next to no new content has been released going by the comments, so, that's already disappointing. How's the population?

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The BR mode should of been free to play (just sell cosmetics) to try and entice players back on to the game. The whole series just seems to be on a down trend at the moment but that might be due to two world war games in a row. Hope we get a Bad Company 3 sooner rather than later with a focus on the Gold Rush mode.
my current thinking on this is that they actually want to have the fire storm mode as free to play, but it the system design just won't allow for it. I can imagine that there are just too many components to the battlefield platform that wouldn't allow them to decouple it as a stand-alone service

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Worst post support launch for a mainline Battlefield title. Should have never scrapped Premium.

Excited for the map nevertheless.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they got rid of Premium.

That damn thing fragmented the hell out of the playerbase, especially noticeable on PC. Sure, the wait for new maps has been stupidly long and yeah, they should've done something sooner.

But I'd take this over further splitting up the playerbase any day of the week.

New map is looking great. Hope to see more of this quality in June.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

That damn thing fragmented the hell out of the playerbase, especially noticeable on PC. Sure, the wait for new maps has been stupidly long and yeah, they should've done something sooner.

Cause I'm sure the pc version is just booming with players right now compared to BF1.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This means absolutely nothing. Battlefield games get played for years and years. Hilarious anytime someone says this
I mean if you wanna play anything other than Conquest it's not that funny, and Conquest is my favorite and most played mode by far.

But past games also have mode specific challenges for unlocks :/

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Cause I'm sure the pc version is just booming with players right now compared to BF1.
I'm not sure what the point of that comment is?

If anything, this furthers my remarks about it being good that they got rid of Premium. If the player base is as low as you assume it is, splitting it up into the haves vs the have-nots sure as hell doesn't help matters.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I quit month ago, not enough to get me to reinstall, PC version has too many damn hackers, maybe when Rent a Server is implemented i will come back, the community will ban hackers and do Dice's job...

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Feel like Battlefront 2 had the same problem with a lack of any new or interesting maps. I can only think of Crait(ok), Kessel(pretty naff) and the big one being Geonosis after like a year. Most gametypes are very dead other than Galactic Assault and Heroes v Villians. Even Starfighter Assault can be a bit of a queue until you find a match.

Battlefront 1 had splitting player base severely on PC but the maps were at least pretty cool.

If anything two years or so after the maps release they should just have made them bloody free so that whatever small contingent playing can find games together on the new maps. Kinda like the premium pass being an early access thing that will eventually be unlocked for all players way down the line. I'd still think you'd get the same amount of people buying the maps immediately then when the community starts to wear down you'll get a boost from the maps going free...maybe.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

If anything, this furthers my remarks about it being good that they got rid of Premium. If the player base is as low as you assume it is, splitting it up into the haves vs the have-nots sure as hell doesn't help matters.

Because instead of splitting the player base with Maps they now instead do it with the plethora of game modes they're adding that no one is playing, or play until the tides of war assignments are done and then stop playing it all together.

By having a Maps premium, what you have are maps that are actually really good in quality and that also guarantees that they're going to ship a certain amount of maps by certain time because they have to uphold their road maps.

Right now they can literally cancel everything, stop making maps and you can't do anything about it because they're "free".

Id take premium over this shit any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
The only tanking in game post patch is my frame rate. ba dum chhhhh.

Fix your game Dice.
Yeah, I've read about this issue how some people are experiencing frame rate loss and stuttering after the latest patch. Even some BF youtubers were talking about it.
Yet DICE hasn't even acknowledged that issue.

This new map looks cool and it almost made me finally get the game, but if the game is broken, no thanks.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Because instead of splitting the player base with Maps they now instead do it with the plethora of game modes they're adding that no one is playing, or play until the tides of war assignments are done and then stop playing it all together.

By having a Maps premium, what you have are maps that are actually really good in quality and that also guarantees that they're going to ship a certain amount of maps by certain time because they have to uphold their road maps.

Right now they can literally cancel everything stop making maps and you can't do anything about it because they're "free".

Id take premium over this shit any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
You do realize that most, if not all of these modes were also in previous games as well, in addition to the Premium map split, right? And they cycle modes in. Most of these modes are cycled in from week to week, not a permanent fixture.

As for the rest: That's an incredibly fanciful hypothetical there. If they cancel, they cancel. I've gotten my money's worth already. The rest is just a cherry on top without having to pay another ~$50 for said cherry and fewer players.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Having 200 different and frankly pointless game modes are doing that quite handily even without the Premium. 6-7 would be enough tops. Conquest, Rush, TDM, Tank/Air Superiority, Frontlines, and maybe Grand Operations. If youre gonna add new modes probably do that at or near the end of the game's life

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to wait a little longer before picking up BFV on sale. Too bad to hear about the lengthy roadmap to new content.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

At least with Premium players that put the game aside went back every 3 to 4 months to play 4 new maps, there was not really a player quantity problem.
Now they release a map 7 months after launch, I did not play since 3-4 months, and a single map is not enough to bring me back.

And now there's cheaters too, I never encountered one since I left the game since months, but from the reports I've read there's plenty of them and they barely get banned.

I miss Premium, hope they bring it back on the next one, or I'll only play the game through Origin Access Premier, just like this one.
(I mean, I don't know how EA splits the Origin Access Premier money, but I did not pay for the game, at least Premium would give most money to Dice)

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
At least with Premium players that put the game aside went back every 3 to 4 months to play 4 new maps, there was not really a player quantity problem.
Now they release a map 7 months after launch, I did not play since 3-4 months, and a single map is not enough to bring me back.

And now there's cheaters too, I never encountered one since I left the game since months, but from the reports I've read there's plenty of them and they barely get banned.

I miss Premium, hope they bring it back on the next one, or I'll only play the game through Origin Access Premier, just like this one.
(I mean, I don't know how EA splits the Origin Access Premier money, but I did not pay for the game, at least Premium would give most money to Dice)

I think the lack of content is because they have spent the last six months finishing the game. It was never fully baked with Dice releasing its fourth game in four years with the BF1 and Battlefront titles before it. I never expected the quantity of content to be the same as premium but I think 4-6 new maps within the first year of release is more than acceptable. Premium should never be the answer for game play content. If Premium was used to offer exclusive cosmetics and early access to content then yeah maybe.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
BFV is gonna be alright when all is said and done.
I personally love the game. Firestorm is an amazing addition to the franchise and there are enough interesting modes to spice up your daily routine.

The new map looks hot and there are 2 other maps right around the corner. Only thing i really miss are more factions, just give BFV the atmosphere of a massive worldwide conflict...

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal

Without checking I'm willing to bet that there were more premium players in BF4 than there are regular players in V.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol you can't seriously expect an answer to this?

first off it's rude to a dev who works on bf5, and second, why would they reveal any company info in a forum post.
Dude, the dice dev in here has been bagged with worse. Way worse. I have been taken his defense several times

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You would think now the map is out people will talk about the map..

Ontopic. I like the map. It has the Achi Baba feeling from BF1.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I'm surprised the amount of hate this game gets online. I can't say I've paid too much attention to the reasons against it but gameplay alone tells me this could be the best 'feeling' battlefield game in the series. Backed by great decisions like the removal of the spotted enemies en masse and free DLC 'roadmap'... I'm struggling to see the negatives.

Is it more to do with the 'post fortnite' FPS/TPS world in which we live and the game updates haven't been quick enough for some people?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Is it more to do with the 'post fortnite' FPS/TPS world in which we live and the game updates haven't been quick enough for some people?

No, it's everything. Disclaimer: I actually really like playing Battlefield V and enjoy most of the changes you cited (especially no spotting).

Issues since launch have included open map design that encourages camping and poor flow between capture points. Issues with player visibility. Netcode issues breaking the TTD/TTK. An assortment of bugs that took too many months to fix, including those pertaining to revives and game breaking issues. Free DLC that has thus far been unremarkable and uninteresting. Two maps in the span of 6-to-8 months, free yes but hotly contrast to Premium where we'd have 4+ easily maps by now. DICE's weird, erratic non-committal attitude to the game, including a patch that massively overhauled the entire TTK damage model to appeal to casual audiences...that they then backtracked on. Clumsy UI and feedback issues that are just bafflingly dumb. Broken bipods that are less broken now but still shit. Mediocre, forgettable Tides of War challenges that don't in any way replicate DICE/EA's marketing that Battlefield V would "follow the history of World War 2". Clumsy Firestorm launch, that currently does not work in Australia because EA decided to pull all local servers despite having them at launch.

A lot of people quite like the high damage model and the lack of spotting. These same people are just shitty about a ton of other things.